PDA

View Full Version : Thruhiker wanting to help

HDMama
03-09-2011, 20:00
I thruhiked the AT last year and am willing to share with anyone interested. My husband and I are full-time RVers and are in Welaka, FL until April when we move to Traverse City, Mich. Please feel welcome to contact me via e-mail at [email protected]. I'm willing to have a class, go through your gear, advise you on pack organization, food choices, etc. I think one of the biggest issues for women is not having someone to start hiking with/fear of the unknown. Once you get over the first few days, you'll be fine. There were lots of women on the trail last year. May I suggest just asking a friend to go with you for a few days at the start, say to Neel's Gap, instead of asking someone to commit months of their time. Let me know how I can help.

JERMM
03-09-2011, 20:05
will you help me...i'm kinda a beginner, can i email you my gear list?

Red Hat
03-09-2011, 20:38
you have the springer itch too, HDMama? I'm headed out next week.... can't believe how much I miss it now

skooch
03-11-2011, 13:23
How nice. Thank you!

HDMama
03-13-2011, 09:53
Ha, ha, JERMM.

HDMama
03-13-2011, 09:54
I'm going to give Rick Angel a break this year. I kinda wore him out last summer. Maybe PCT 2013???

Trail_Name
03-31-2011, 16:06
Hey there,

I'll be on the trail all on my lonesome, and I have a question.
So I was told if 1) the shelters are full or 2) the shelters are too empty 3) the shelters are near the road, it's best to hike a few miles past the shelters, and pitch my tent out of site of the trail. If I hang up my food, and cook before reaching my intended campsite, should I be concerned about bears waking me up in the middle of the night to snack on my food? Or people?

Thanks! I appreciate you offering to help us out!

Monkeywrench
04-03-2011, 21:49
Hey there,

I'll be on the trail all on my lonesome, and I have a question.
So I was told if 1) the shelters are full or 2) the shelters are too empty 3) the shelters are near the road, it's best to hike a few miles past the shelters, and pitch my tent out of site of the trail. If I hang up my food, and cook before reaching my intended campsite, should I be concerned about bears waking me up in the middle of the night to snack on my food? Or people?

Thanks! I appreciate you offering to help us out!

You are more likely to have bear problems at shelters or established campsites; places where the bears have been habituated to finding food.

Blissful
04-04-2011, 10:10
I'd worry about it in GA right now no matter where you camp. I'm thinking hikers are gonna have to go to bear canisters in that section.

The Old Boot
04-04-2011, 17:32
I'd worry about it in GA right now no matter where you camp. I'm thinking hikers are gonna have to go to bear canisters in that section.

I'm happy to go to a bear canister anyways, no matter where I'm hiking.

To put it mildly, I throw like a girl...:D It wasn't a case of being picked last for the baseball team, it was a case of not being picked at all - ok, maybe for bat girl!!

I've got my name in for one of the new Bearier 700's when they become available.

I'd rather carry a bear barrel than have to try to a) find a tree with a suitable branch b) successfully throw a line over said tree branch, c) try to rescue rope and throwing apparatus when it lands tangled in everything else growing in the neighbourhood.

SimplyMe
04-04-2011, 19:33
Thank you so much for offering your advice! I may not make it out of Costa Rica until early May for my thru hike this year.

I have hiked here and some of the VA AT before. I´m not 20 so I will walk at my own pace, but geez the evenings and night times the first few days might just freak me out a little - ya I´ve had experiences with racoons, coyotes in the distance, bears sniffing the other side of the blueberry bush when I was a kid....but this is real! (okay a little attempt at humor)

I would love to find someone to walk (okay hike - it just sounds harder that word) with for a couple days.