PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Hikes

inavacuum
03-09-2011, 21:54
Whats up guys?

A couple of UGA students here looking for an easy 2night/3day hike for our Spring Break next week. We live in Athens (obviously) and would like to keep it in the state if possible, but we're not opposed to heading up to NC if we really haaaaave to.

We've got the gear we need, but I'm not sure where to hike. I've been eyeballing a few of the trails in the Cohutta Wilderness area and was thinking about doing a section at Springer mountain also.

Basically, I need some suggestions and places that are easy to hitch-hike back to our car.

dragoro
03-09-2011, 22:32
Any of e Georgia section of the AT is is to get a a shuttle back to your car for around 30 or 40 total, so ya can split cost between yourselves.

dragoro
03-09-2011, 22:34
Any of the Georgia section of the AT is easy to get a shuttle back to your car for 30 or 40 bucks total, so ya can split cost which makes it pretty cheap.

jkspeese
03-09-2011, 22:42
Hey
As a UGA Grad and someone who lived in Athens for awhile..best 5 or 6 years of my life... I think I can offer some advice.

Basically any Mountian Hiking destinations in North GA are not gonna be that far form Athens... 2-3 hours max.

Starting at Springer and Hiking to Unicoi Gap along the AT would be a fun but challenging hike for beginners. With a outfitter along the way you can't go wrong. The AT reaches Unicoi Gap and crosses over US 17 in North GA; this would be a great place to leave one car if you have two cars. From Unicoi its only about 1 hour back to Athens..just head south to US441 and boom...classic city in no time.

Or you could start at Unicoi Gap, leave your car there and hike to Bly Gap...it shouldn't be too hard to hitch back to Hiawassee and then get a ride to Unicoi Gap from one of the outfitters or trail hostel folks located in Hiawasse. The more I think about it this is probably would what I would do in your situation.

Not sure if you could make it in 3 days but I bet you could if your in good shape and not carrying too much.

By the way UGA has a GREAT outfitter located in Ramsey. Very reasonably priced for students to rent gear from and alot of useful info from the REC staff. Its on the Bottom Floor of Ramsey near the Pool entrance. Plus they probably have great ideas for hikes too.

I also recommend talking to the guys at Half Moon Outfitters in five points.

inavacuum
03-09-2011, 22:55
Hey
As a UGA Grad and someone who lived in Athens for awhile..best 5 or 6 years of my life... I think I can offer some advice.

Basically any Mountian Hiking destinations in North GA are not gonna be that far form Athens... 2-3 hours max.

Starting at Springer and Hiking to Unicoi Gap along the AT would be a fun but challenging hike for beginners. With a outfitter along the way you can't go wrong. The AT reaches Unicoi Gap and crosses over US 17 in North GA; this would be a great place to leave one car if you have two cars. From Unicoi its only about 1 hour back to Athens..just head south to US441 and boom...classic city in no time.

Or you could start at Unicoi Gap, leave your car there and hike to Bly Gap...it shouldn't be too hard to hitch back to Hiawassee and then get a ride to Unicoi Gap from one of the outfitters or trail hostel folks located in Hiawasse. The more I think about it this is probably would what I would do in your situation.

Not sure if you could make it in 3 days but I bet you could if your in good shape and not carrying too much.

By the way UGA has a GREAT outfitter located in Ramsey. Very reasonably priced for students to rent gear from and alot of useful info from the REC staff. Its on the Bottom Floor of Ramsey near the Pool entrance. Plus they probably have great ideas for hikes too.

I also recommend talking to the guys at Half Moon Outfitters in five points.

Thanks man! So Unicoi Gap to Bly Gap, sounds like a plan. Any idea what the mileage is?

dragoro
03-09-2011, 23:01
Bout 25 miles.

inavacuum
03-09-2011, 23:03
Also considering Hog Pen Gap to Unicoi Gap to make it an easy 3 days.

jkspeese
03-10-2011, 00:06
Have fun and Go Dawgs

TheChop
03-10-2011, 00:12
Lot of great hiking to be done that's not necessarily on the AT. You could do an overnighter on the Coosa Backcountry Trail or connect that up with the AT somehow. You could also do the Bartrum Trail in Georgia. Start at Chattooga River/SC border and finish up after Rabun Bald at Mt. Scaly. Great little four day trip.

will1972
03-10-2011, 01:05
plus 1 on a combination of the Coosa and some of the other trails at Vogel State park. You will need to get a free permit at the ranger's station. That is a good area to get started for a simple trip. And just about fool-proof for no worries. You can take an easy pace and never get pressed for time.