PDA

View Full Version : challenges of long-distance hiking

trailAg
03-09-2011, 22:45
Hey all, I'm doing a project for my marketing class. We have to come with product ideas for a specific market. Since I'm going on my first multi-day hike over spring break, I suggested hikers on the AT and the rest of the group went for it. The first part of the project requires research and surveying the target market's biggest needs. So if you guys wouldn't mind giving me some input on some of the bigger challenges/issues a hiker faces on a long-distance hike, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a lot for the help.

dragoro
03-09-2011, 22:58
I had a heck of a time finding gas for my msr stove in the Georgia section of the At. Neither Helen nor Hiawassee ( the two city stops in Georgia) had anywhere that sold it. I use a MSR stove, so it wasn't like I needed an obscure type of gas

swjohnsey
03-09-2011, 23:03
No gas stations?

Captain Blue
03-09-2011, 23:08
The biggest challenge of long distance hiking is mental. How do you keep a person interested day after day of the hiking grind? How do you keep it exciting?

moldy
03-10-2011, 10:29
If the number of shelters were doubled there would still not be enough during the peak of the season. Also they should double or triple the size of the shelters. They may have been enough for 30 years ago but not for today and not for the future of the AT.

d.o.c
03-10-2011, 10:37
i found takeing a vacation from the trail towards the end we hitchd to burlington Vt and stayd for a number of days went cliff jumping in lake champlain and caught a concert jus kinda chilld out for about a week then hit the trail refreshd ..

Pedaling Fool
03-10-2011, 11:03
The biggest challenge of long distance hiking is mental. How do you keep a person interested day after day of the hiking grind? How do you keep it exciting?
That's the only real challenge to LD hiking.

If the number of shelters were doubled there would still not be enough during the peak of the season. Also they should double or triple the size of the shelters. They may have been enough for 30 years ago but not for today and not for the future of the AT.
What???? More shelters....not needed.

Pedaling Fool
03-10-2011, 11:05
Hey all, I'm doing a project for my marketing class. We have to come with product ideas for a specific market. Since I'm going on my first multi-day hike over spring break, I suggested hikers on the AT and the rest of the group went for it. The first part of the project requires research and surveying the target market's biggest needs. So if you guys wouldn't mind giving me some input on some of the bigger challenges/issues a hiker faces on a long-distance hike, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks a lot for the help.
I'd be interested in hearing your followup to this and your planned product. I think it will be complete BS, but interested nonetheless.

max patch
03-10-2011, 11:12
The hiking part is easy.

The only difficult parts are (1) saving up enough money to fund your hike and pay your monthly regular bills, and (2) figuring out how you will handle the stuff at home while you are gone (house, pets, mail, etc etc etc).

sbhikes
03-10-2011, 12:47
I'd like to see some dehydrated water and dehydrated beer.

Ladytrekker
03-10-2011, 13:00
More biodegradeable products or product containers/wrappers that can be burned that does not leave residue or damage soils.

Jedeye
03-10-2011, 13:04

Ha! now that would be awesome!

blackbird04217
03-10-2011, 14:04
I'd like to see some dehydrated water.

That made me chuckle.

But it's pretty easy to achieve. First take a water bottle, and let the last drop evaporate. QUICKLY, put the lid on. Carry this until you find a nice spring, dip it until it fills and you have rehydrated the dehydrated water! Drink and repeat.

Blissful
03-10-2011, 16:16
I'd like to see some dehydrated water

ha ha I saw a "can" of that at a hostel once. It said on the can, dehydrated water. Wish I could remember where it was.

Blissful
03-10-2011, 16:17
I had a heck of a time finding gas for my msr stove in the Georgia section of the At. Neither Helen nor Hiawassee ( the two city stops in Georgia) had anywhere that sold it. I use a MSR stove, so it wasn't like I needed an obscure type of gas

That's changed now in Hiawasee.

Leanthree
03-11-2011, 03:00
I am doing your project for you...My product ideas...Yes, I miss my marketing classes:

-A sweet bounce box made to some USPS specification to minimize on shipping costs that is durable. (Would pay for itself after X # of uses vs the 5 gallon bucket method. Marketing teachers love that crap)

-Some sort of hand cleaning wipes that after wiping don't burn your eyes for taking contacts out

-A hiking boot that provides some utility in camp so that another piece of equipment doesnt have to be carried (tent stake, windscreen, bear bag, inflatible pillow, some other crackpot idea). Make sure it doesn't add weight

-Journal transcribing service, maildrop sending service (aka, all the jobs most people's friends/family/significant others do)

-Some way of combining the functions of Neosporin, Body glide, Sunblock and DEET. Maybe have one base inactive ingredient (cream of some sort) that then you can add drops of something else (the active ingredient!!!) to so rather than carrying 4 tubes of crap you carry 1 tube and 4 Aqua Mira or smaller sized bottles

-Instant read speedometer like they have for bikes. (It would have to function different than the bike ones which count the # of times a wheel rotates, multiply by the circumfrence of the wheel and divide by the time it took and then convert to mph or km/h).

-Radio that uses the frame of the pack as an antenna to save weight for an amplified signal.

Even if you don't use any of these ideas you can back out what the hiker need is and use it for market research

Any product in this world will have a group of people who think it isn't worth the weight, against the minimalist approach of hiking, etc. Just remember that someone had to be the first person to bring a non-wood burning stove to market when there was plenty of wood to burn.

Trailweaver
03-11-2011, 03:28
Can someone, anyone, come up with a comfortable way to sit in your tent (or outside, for that matter!) that supports your back and can actually be carried in your backpack with minimal weight? Honestly, I've seen lots of "seats" but they all are impractical for backpacking.

I like to sit in the tent and read at night and have yet to be able to do it unless I'm "car camping" - in which case I do have a seat that folds up. I just can't take that one in a backpack. I'm unable to get comfortable lying down and holding my book up - my arms get tired.

O.K. - vent over.

juma
03-11-2011, 06:26
Can someone, anyone, come up with a comfortable way to sit in your tent (or outside, for that matter!) that supports your back and can actually be carried in your backpack with minimal weight? Honestly, I've seen lots of "seats" but they all are impractical for backpacking.

I like to sit in the tent and read at night and have yet to be able to do it unless I'm "car camping" - in which case I do have a seat that folds up. I just can't take that one in a backpack. I'm unable to get comfortable lying down and holding my book up - my arms get tired.

O.K. - vent over.

the lightest travel hammock by grand trunk is what I use. its about 7 oz:
http://www.grandtrunkgoods.com/ProdDetails.aspx?prodId=34

fredmugs
03-11-2011, 07:50
How about a better way to treat blisters? Hikers need to be able to pop it, treat it, and keep going.

fredmugs
03-11-2011, 07:52
the lightest travel hammock by grand trunk is what I use. its about 7 oz:
http://www.grandtrunkgoods.com/ProdDetails.aspx?prodId=34

Hey Trailweaver - listen to what Juma is telling you. I hike with this guy and we generally go in opposite directions and everytime I run across him on the trail he is lounging in that hammock.

d.o.c
03-11-2011, 10:46
take a break to play wiffle ball we did it workd out good kept spirits up.

Kermitt
03-11-2011, 11:53
How about a better way to treat blisters? Hikers need to be able to pop it, treat it, and keep going.
Try to provent them w/Dr.Scholl's Blister Defense first. I think along the same line of sheter not the same size as was built for smaller people back then. In 09 a new shealter was for 8 persons, but when you alread 7 big guys & thier was no room for 1 more 5ft. lady & campsits was full.:welcome

Tenderheart
03-11-2011, 13:12

They already make the first one. Just add water.

litefoot 2000:)

trailAg
03-18-2011, 16:47
thanks for all the input. bumping this to the top and I'll post the followup as the project comes along. Again, thanks for the help!