PDA

View Full Version : Backpack advice

godsfshrmn
03-09-2011, 22:50
Hello everyon! I am planning on doing the GSMNP section (72mi, 7 days) at the end of May. My backpack is a massive 6lb 90L pack (http://www.rei.com/product/760601#prodSpecs) - High Sierra Long Trail 90. This thing weighs almost half of what my entire set of gear weighs. It was my first backpacking purchase several years go that I originally got for backpacking in Europe. I've noticed that exactly zero people use a backpack over 60L. I am considering getting something smaller / lighter because I always have plenty of extra space. I know I may appreciate the added space while carrying 7 days of food because I don't think there are any easily accessible drop box sites (at least I haven't been able to find any yet?).

My question is how much of a difference do you guys notice when you're wearing a smaller pack. I assume the fit is quite different. I know I can go into my local outdoor store and try some on but that's completely different than wearing one for days on the trail. Anyone been in my shoes before?

Wags
03-09-2011, 22:55
Yep! Every ounce less i have on my back makes my trip more enjoyable :D

SmokeEater
03-09-2011, 22:59
This is just me but I would get a lighter pack. ULA makes a great light pack. All sizes. And resupply when u get to newfound gap. Hitch into town from there.

TheChop
03-09-2011, 23:33
If you're not comfortable hitching to Gatlinburg there's also a bus that runs through which is sort of expensive. $14 I think but it shouldn't be hard to find a ride. There's a parking lot there where people get out, look at the mountains, etc. All you have to do is stand next to the old retired couple where the man is wearing a VFW cap. He'll say something like "Doing some hiking?" and you'll say, "Yes sir. I'm hiking the entire length of the park." and he'll respond with something like "That so? By yourself?" and then you'll say, "Yeah by myself but I'm waiting on this here Cherokee bus but it's running late and I need to get into Gatlinburg or Cherokee for more food." And he'll say, "We're going to Gatlinburg. Our hotel is next to the Wal-Mart. Ride with us."

TheChop
03-09-2011, 23:36
And since you asked. ULA is a great pack. Just got mine in and haven't backpacked with it but a lot of very nice features for a pack that light. Huge hip belt pockets, great fit as far as I can tell. I got the Catalyst but if you're carrying 15 pounds you could go smaller.

Chubbs4U
03-10-2011, 03:41
godsfisherman- I bought the same pack about 18 months ago. Took it car camping 1 time and just returned it maybe 2 weeks ago. REI return policy is amazing. I recently bought a Gregory Teton and I do like it Im looking to return it. Couple things that werent clear to me were the weight, 5lbs or more matters where you read, and the fact there are no pockets. There are 2 water bottle pockets but nothing on the belt and not much on the back on the bag. I realize I need a little more especially for that weight. Im looking into a go lite bag (Quest or Pinnacle), or ULA (catalyst or circuit) or a few Osprey. Looking for light weight and something that can haul (over 3900 cu.) Ive been looking a lot and recently saw a Gregory Baltoro that had 2 pockets on the side outside of the main pack. Was pretty awesome design.

sixguns01
03-10-2011, 08:17
godsfisherman- I bought the same pack about 18 months ago. Took it car camping 1 time and just returned it maybe 2 weeks ago. REI return policy is amazing. I recently bought a Gregory Teton and I do like it Im looking to return it. Couple things that werent clear to me were the weight, 5lbs or more matters where you read, and the fact there are no pockets. There are 2 water bottle pockets but nothing on the belt and not much on the back on the bag. I realize I need a little more especially for that weight. Im looking into a go lite bag (Quest or Pinnacle), or ULA (catalyst or circuit) or a few Osprey. Looking for light weight and something that can haul (over 3900 cu.) Ive been looking a lot and recently saw a Gregory Baltoro that had 2 pockets on the side outside of the main pack. Was pretty awesome design.

Agree with Chubbs. I have the Golite Pinnacle and love it. Lots of room and comfy plus weighs just under 2lbs. Just picked up the Golite Jam for $50 at the Golite 70% sale. Little smaller and lighter than the Pinnacle but for $50 what the hell. Give it a try.

KillerKowalski
03-11-2011, 04:03
My opinion. Get a new pack. At least a used one. Your pack's weight weighs almost half of my base weight.

Also, make sure you get your reservations for shelters if that is your plan to stay in them.