PDA

View Full Version : 1 month section hike

sautmush
03-10-2011, 00:40
I'm starting a 1+ month section hike on july 1st and am trying to figure out where I want to start. I just don't know what part of the trail would be nicest at this time of year. I really need to finish my gear list so location is crucial so I can figure out weather conditions. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Driver8
03-10-2011, 01:22
I'm starting a 1+ month section hike on july 1st and am trying to figure out where I want to start. I just don't know what part of the trail would be nicest at this time of year. I really need to finish my gear list so location is crucial so I can figure out weather conditions. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Depending on your pace, start at Salisbury, CT and proceed to Pinkham Notch, NH. For a more leisurely pace, start at Cheshire, MA and proceed to Pinkham.

Starting at Undermtn Trail on CT Rt. 41 just south of Mass border would give you a beautiful start at Bear Mtn, CT, then the very nice Taconics of SW Mass, then the Berkshires in blueberry season (which would last through Mass and into VT and NH) and points north.

sautmush
03-10-2011, 11:49
Depending on your pace, start at Salisbury, CT and proceed to Pinkham Notch, NH. For a more leisurely pace, start at Cheshire, MA and proceed to Pinkham.

Starting at Undermtn Trail on CT Rt. 41 just south of Mass border would give you a beautiful start at Bear Mtn, CT, then the very nice Taconics of SW Mass, then the Berkshires in blueberry season (which would last through Mass and into VT and NH) and points north.

Thanks for the advice.

I have a few of questions about the area:
1. how easy are resupplies in the area
2. what weather conditions should I prepare for
3. how rough is the terrain(not that it would stop me just curious)

Driver8
03-10-2011, 12:06
You can resupply in Great Barrington, Dalton/Pittsfield, Adams/North Adams/Williamstown, Manchester, Killington or Rutland, Hanover. Resupply gets fewer and further between in VT - more miles in between. Ease is a relative term - I'll leave it to others to say.

Weather - warm to hot in CT and MA, though the nights can be cool (40s at times). Warm, plus or minus in VT and first part of NH. Anything goes in Whites. The terrain is relatively friendly, so I gather, until the Whites, which are legendarily hard. My personal experience is limited - I've never hiked in NH at all, but have done so in CT, MA and VT, mostly at more famous/popular venues - Taconics, Greylock area, Stratton Mtn.

I hope others here can be helpful to you, and I encourage you to read up as much as you can. The AMC and ATC guides and maps are helpful. Thru-hiker books like Barefoot Sisters and many others even moreso.

Thanks for the advice.

I have a few of questions about the area:
1. how easy are resupplies in the area
2. what weather conditions should I prepare for
3. how rough is the terrain(not that it would stop me just curious)

Blissful
03-10-2011, 16:21

Looks good. Miight have bug issues so take deet (and I'd take a tent). And mud galore in VT

Papa D
03-10-2011, 22:58
How about the Long Trial? - easily completed in under a month - 273 miles

Driver8
03-11-2011, 00:49
Looks good. Miight have bug issues so take deet (and I'd take a tent). And mud galore in VT

Mud galore in VT mid-July?

Driver8
03-11-2011, 00:50

Could start at Cheshire, MA and throw in the Greylock Range to boot. VT is beautiful, for sure.

sautmush
03-11-2011, 13:00

I have thought about doing the Long Trail but I don't really want to finish in less than a month. I am going to be moving from louisiana to wisconsin when I get back so I want to make the most of the month or two I won't have a job.

If I were to do the Long Trail how are the resupplies.

Thanks for the help

sautmush
03-11-2011, 13:08
What does everyone think about starting further North and hiking South to avoid cold snaps in August. Or would that be a nonissue at this time of year.(meaning cold snaps are unavoidable)