PDA

View Full Version : over thinking

dropsofskywater
03-10-2011, 01:34
Hello all, I'm 14 days and counting to GA. and I think I may be freaking out. :confused: I was only a little concerned up until a couple of days ago when I went to an EMS store and the sales man did the AT last years... he crushed everything I have in my pack including my pack. I talked myself down a little by saying A) he's a sales man B) he's a gear-head (no judgment to gear-heads) So I'm sitting here with my back to all my gear and my car full of food that has to be measured and packed in maildrops thinking to myself "what did you get yourself into" I have been working 60-80 weeks mostly overnights for the past 4 months, and have put on weight because of... well because I lack self control in times of minor panic :eek::) I have not cracked yet but this is my moment of weakness. I have NEVER hiked. I have wandered around the Adirondacks for small day "hikes" but nothing like THIS. my family and friends are crazy suportive and I have 97% of my ducks in a row... those damn 3%, I tell ya. All in all I think I maybe over thinking...anyone in this same boat?

TheChop
03-10-2011, 01:51
If you're really looking for reassurance put up a gear list. :)

grayfox
03-10-2011, 01:59
OK. Sit down and take a deep breath. This is probably normal even for very experienced hikers. Don't get all worried because some sales guy didn't like your old external frame pack, it will be fine and so will you. Go ahead and fix up your food drops but don't over do them and leave the box open for your support team to make changes.

I did not see a gear list in your posts but just go as light as you can for the first few days and plan to pick up your luxury items in mail drops as you find you need them.

A few days food, good shoes, shelter, and a warm sleeping bag will get you going and the rest you will figure out along the way. Don't sweat the small stuff, there will be lots of people out there willing to help you learn what you need to know.

Lots of inexperienced hikers do just fine once they get on the trail--oh, and we were all inexperienced at some time.

This is just like stage fright--it will go away most likely.

TFOS
03-10-2011, 02:17
What works for him won't necessarily work for you. Just get out there and hike. Springer is only a couple of days away from Neel's, so if you discover that your gear really isn't working for you (and if it isn't, you"ll figure that out pretty quickly) just swap out what you need to swap out when you get there.

Trailweaver
03-10-2011, 03:25
Really. . . calm down and take a deep breath. It's just walkin.

If you have shelter (tent or tarp), sleeping bag, food (go as light weight as you can), first aid kit, headlamp, some warm clothes, and a backpack to get your stuff up the trail a ways, you can do this. As the others have said, if you can make it to Neel Gap, by then you'll have some idea of what you really need.

Don't go by what others have said so much as testing out to see what you need. Each person is different in what it takes to make him/her comfortable.

frank c
03-10-2011, 04:00
I hear ya drops. I'm starting my hike on April 12th and I feel overwhelmed at times also. (My current indecision is over water treatment). I think Trailweaver hit it on the head. As long as you have your initial gear, take it slow to start. Get to Neel Gap and adjust as necessary. I've never hiked the AT (nor more than a 3 day trip in my life) but my impression is that I will be the one who hikes my trail. Not my gear. Not the EMS sales guy. Not anyone else on WB. Just as it would be overwhelming if you started at springer and thought "holy crap, i have 2200 miles to go", I think it can feel overwhelming with all the opinions out there. I def rely on the great folks of this forum for insight and wisdom, but I also realize that if I took everyone's opinion, I'd get nowhere. If you think back to why you wanted to do this hike in the first place, that might be helpful to get your psyche back on track.

Best of luck to you out there amigo.

berkshirebirder
03-10-2011, 07:29
You're almost at the starting line, Drops, so clench your teeth and your nerves and continue. You can do this. Are you supplied for the cold of the mountains? Have you practiced setting up your tent/hammock a number of times?

TheCheek
03-10-2011, 08:22
I barely hiked but for a couple over nighters before heading to Springer in 05 and I completed thru to Katahdin.

Dont bother posting a gear list, you'll get too many opinions and it's not worth getting upset about. The key is to realize it's not about gear it's about getting out there and enjoying your time and distance, whatever it ends up being. I had a heavy external frame pack for the first 500 miles and the last 300 that fit well and was comfortable. Gear is something to change around and experiment with as you go, it's a learning process and the best way to learn is by doing.

Del Q
03-10-2011, 08:27
I am about 5 years into this and am a section hiker, I have spent a lot of time in the outdoors, DEFINTELY GO LIGHT WEIGHT. When I think back of all the crap I brought with me on the AT years ago I was just foolish, the answers are right in front of us, on WhiteBlaze.

Heading out Sunday for a 2 week section hike, pack all in with water & food will be at about 30 lbs. What you absolutely need is pretty obvious, leave most of the rest behind, you wont need it, miss it and you certainly DON'T want to be carrying it.

Maybe start the list of what you dont absolutely need, like a compass, maps (?), too many clothes, food too heavy, full 1st aid kit (a hiker told me all you need is duct tape and antiobiotic ointment), etc. Start that pile and feel great about it.

Nervous, you will forget about that on about the 3rd tough up..............have fun, good luck, take it step by step.

Stearman
03-10-2011, 09:10
I'm not crazy about some of the advice here on Whiteblaze, but only because you will find people from all points of view. Let's talk about the basics: feet, food/water, shelter. If you cover these three basics, you would be able to walk anywhere. My boots weigh just under 3 pounds. While that makes some people's eyes jump out of their skull, it is an absolute necessity because of my ankle and knee history. 3 pair of wool socks and 2 pair of sock liners and you are set. We could talk about clothing for a while, but simply put, who cares? Everything is going to be wet and beat up- frequently. Wear what is comfortable for you. I have some nice patagonia H2NO pants (which gave me sticker shock when I bought them ~2 years ago), and then I have a 100% silk sweater that I picked up from goodwill for <$10. As for food: that is really personal, especially when you start off, but after awhile, you will eat just about anything. The first week of any crazy stress change can be rough on the gut. You will probably be too tired to eat like you should. I am bringing a loaf of fresh pecan pumpkin bread, a block of hard cheese, a jar of PB, and protein bars. That is lighter than my normal fare and will help me make it through my first 1-2 weeks of adjustment. A lot of people are stressing disposable bottles, but until it gets warmer, I am keeping 2 nalgen Lt bottles with me. Hot fluids do not do well in thin disposable plastic bottles. And finally shelter. I would recommend you pick your preference. The first couple of weeks are going to be crowded in the shelters and there is also the mice to consider. If you are okay with this, then just bring a cheap bivy tent for nights you cannot get into a shelter. Once the crowds thin out you can dump the tent. If you prefer to sleep in a tent, be smart about your space 'requirements' and the weight. You can get a really decent tent for less than $200. Get it from a good outfitter who will let you return it if needs be. The rest of the stuff you will carry is really just personal choice. Hike naked if you don't want to bother with clothing. If you do not know how to use a first aid kit, go to an outfitter and have someone talk you thru it. Dump the extra packaging at home. Bring only what you consider essential (if you are not going to blue blaze or go back-country hiking then you can leave the maps and compass at home).

No matter what I, or anyone else says; this is your hike. You WILL figure it out as you go along. You WILL personalize your style. You WILL be okay. Just remember what the Yoda says: "Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try."

skooch
03-10-2011, 10:04
Stearman that was awesome. best advice and encouragement ever on this site. You should be a trainer for all the sales staff in very outfitter. Why don't they encourage us more?
Drops we all get butterflies. That's healthy. good luck and have a wonderful experience.

Spokes
03-10-2011, 11:00
Look at it this way......

When you start on Springer you're only 3 days out from Neels Gap. Have Winton or his crew do a no pressure pack shakedown, adjust your gear, and ship unwanted stuff home.

You'll likely continue to tweak your pack at Hot Springs, NC. Then by Damascus you're golden!

YEEHAW!!!!!!! Hike on!!!!!!

HiKen2011
03-10-2011, 11:17
Look at it this way......

When you start on Springer you're only 3 days out from Neels Gap. Have Winton or his crew do a no pressure pack shakedown, adjust your gear, and ship unwanted stuff home.

You'll likely continue to tweak your pack at Hot Springs, NC. Then by Damascus you're golden!

YEEHAW!!!!!!! Hike on!!!!!!

Spokes,

Thats a nice looking torso you have;)

Turtle Feet
03-10-2011, 11:20
Stearman's hiking with pecan pumpkin bread?!? I'm walking with you!

Spokes
03-10-2011, 13:09
Spokes,

Thats a nice looking torso you have;)

Thanks HiKen2011. Who needs P90X or the Insanity Workout? Just thru hike the AT!

blackbird04217
03-10-2011, 13:42
I had never day hiked with a waterbottle, and certainly never hiked overnight before my thru. I knew I liked camping, and being outdoors - but had no idea what I was getting myself into. Of course I had the same butterfly thoughts as well. First when I up and left my 'career' and moved my stuff 'home'. And then they disappeared. I am sure they came because it was a big change, and that was the top of the rollercoaster ride - the final moment of, it's too late to turn around.

I visited with a friend in FL for the weekend before starting. And got absolutely no sleep at all. I went through my pack 5 times to make sure I didn't forget anything, I hadn't even tested the gear out myself - besides tossing it all on my back for a 1 mile road walk...

From Springer to Neels Gap taught me I need to send a lot of items home. And I needed a new plan for raingear. I'm extremely annoyed with myself for not knowing who, at the Neels Gap Outfitter, spent an hour with me doing a pack shake down, ultimately helping me decide to send 15lbs home - but I can't thank them enough. Also, would like to tell them that the coffee can woodstove/windscreen made it all the way to the top of Katahdin. I had promised a picture with it, but didn't take one since I was overjoyed and didn't think of it.

Just look back at how far you've come with those 60-80 hour work weeks, and look forward to what will come.

icemanat95
03-10-2011, 13:57
You are waaaay overthinking this. As long as you've got the basics put together, you can do it. Remember that Earl Shaffer and many others did this trail with only a fraction of the resources available to all of us. No gear shops along the way, etc. The first couple of weeks will be a shakedown. Getting body and mind aligned with the spirit that moved you to the trail. You will also be adjusting your gear as you go. That's part of the process.

sbhikes
03-10-2011, 14:08
What do you mean the salesman crushed your gear? Did he actually try to destroy it? That's pretty rude.

Spirit Walker
03-10-2011, 14:22
It's not what's on your back that will get you to Katahdin, it's what's in your head.

When I did my first thruhike, I had all the wrong gear - huge pack, heavy gear, too much food, cotton clothes, mountaineering boots, etc. The weight made it harder, but it didn't stop me. I really wanted to be on the trail, so I kept going. I was a low budget hiker, so buying new gear midway wasn't an option for me. I just learned to live with what I had. My second hike wasn't all that much better, in terms of weight, but again, I really wanted to be out there, so I hiked in my cotton clothes and leather boots and did fine.

That said, it is easier to hike with less weight on your back. As others have remarked, there are a lot of places on the AT to change your gear if you want to. At Neels Gap they have people who will go through your gear with you piece by piece. A lot of people mail home unnecessary gear there. Alternately, you can go through your pack after you have been on the trail for a few weeks and ask yourself, "Do I really need this?" Since you've never backpacked, you don't know what is necessary and what isn't. And what is necessary in July in Pennsylvania is not the same as what you need in March in Georgia. Staying warm and dry in the beginning may keep you on the trail longer. Later on, you'll probably find that you need less clothes and different food, but that is easily fixed when you are on the trail.

zombiegrad
03-10-2011, 15:29
Many of us have that "omg omg" pre-hike stress; I know I do! I'm touching trail on March 15 and up until yesterday, I didn't have any camping experience. After putting up my hammock and tarp, after cooking my first meal with my new stove system, after almost burning myself and definitely burning my bandana from said stove system, after using all the contents in my backpack, after spending a night in the woods at a state park, after hearing night wildlife sounds, after having to go out and pee in cold weather, and after hiking for almost 3 hours with a fully loaded pack on, I personally feel that much more at ease about my upcoming thru hike. This is not to say that I'm fully prepared, but I think there is really something to getting well acquainted with the gear that is going to keep you dry, warm, rested, safe, fed, and walking. If you are concerned about your gear, test it! See how it performs for you. Also, I think sharing your gear list with us could help. I've received a lot of valuable feedback from members here. Use what you need, bookmark or ignore the rest.

Blissful
03-10-2011, 16:11
You always have Neel Gap to mail stuff home and Winton who will help you with your pack. Better than those hiking SOBO, I must say! But it might be good to post a gear list to eliminate ounces that leads to pounds and can make the journey more enjoyable. If you just want people to make you feel good by saying don't worry about your gear, well ok, but the feel good words might not get you far when you are dragging up Sasafrass mtn in rain with a 40 plus lb pack soaking wet. And maybe some of fears can be alleviated by listening to those who have actually done the whiole trail. I mean at this stage you certainly can't replace all your gear. But you can work on a little of it. 2 weeks is still good time to make a few corrections, if you want to, that is.

As to the hiker wearing 2 plus lb boots because of knee and ankle trouble - it will not solve it. Get fitted properly, wear the right foot wear AND insoles, exercise weak ankles with ankle strengthening and a wobble board, and for knee pain, consider a cho pat duo knee brace and watchng your pack weight (like skipping the heavy pumpkin bread and having your leg lift a 1 plus lb boot up a hill every time you stride). I have both ankle (severe) and knee issue on one leg. I went to properly fitted trail runners through a running shop with proper suerfeet insoles for support of the arch, ditched my 7 plus lb pack for a much lighter model, got a knee brace and have compeleted the trail NOBO and nearly SOBO.

There is wisdom in hearing and maybe heeding words from those who have actually hiked the trail trenches, so to speak, and who have been out there day after day for months. And who had to overcome severe obstacles (I had an MD tell me I'd never hike again after my severe ankle sprain)to see a dream reached. it not just words. Its action too.

God speed

bigcranky
03-10-2011, 16:31
I just got back from 4 days on the trail in Georgia, and you are not alone. I hiked with a guy who had never backpacked. Just take 4 days of food, and start hiking north. Take your time, don't rush, and by the time you get to Neels Gap you'll know what works and what doesn't. There are always experienced hikers out there -- just ask when you want to know something. You'll be fine.

(You're not carrying some crazy 60 pound pack, are you?)

Amanita
03-11-2011, 02:11
HYOH
Hike Your Own Hike

This is the phrase that made me want to hike the AT.

I don't speak from a great deal of hiking experience, but reading about the AT from a variety of sources, the two phrases I see the most are HYOH and YMMV (your mileage may vary). This says a great deal about how everyone's hike is different, and you can't model yourself on someone else's gear/strategy if you don't think it will work for you.

You've made 16 posts on WB, somewhere in there you must have read some threads, and probably some articles too. If not read the articles, think about them, and then make YOUR choices as to whether your comfortable walking 30 miles with your gear. 30 miles. The AT has plenty of opportunities to change gear, and once you've hiked more you'll KNOW what you need. Certainly you know you better than some hoity toity EMS salesman.

and remember "The gear doesn't carry you to Maine."

Kermitt
03-11-2011, 12:11
I hiked in 09 by myself & found lots of hikers so freindly that my feares was not nearly has bad has I thiught they would be. In fact I have lot of wonderful memories & lots of contacts, by the time you rech Spinger you will be hiking w/somebody the first day. Then youwill enjoy the rest of the way.

Tenderheart
03-11-2011, 12:40
Hello all, I'm 14 days and counting to GA. and I think I may be freaking out. :confused: I was only a little concerned up until a couple of days ago when I went to an EMS store and the sales man did the AT last years... he crushed everything I have in my pack including my pack. I talked myself down a little by saying A) he's a sales man B) he's a gear-head (no judgment to gear-heads) So I'm sitting here with my back to all my gear and my car full of food that has to be measured and packed in maildrops thinking to myself "what did you get yourself into" I have been working 60-80 weeks mostly overnights for the past 4 months, and have put on weight because of... well because I lack self control in times of minor panic :eek::) I have not cracked yet but this is my moment of weakness. I have NEVER hiked. I have wandered around the Adirondacks for small day "hikes" but nothing like THIS. my family and friends are crazy suportive and I have 97% of my ducks in a row... those damn 3%, I tell ya. All in all I think I maybe over thinking...anyone in this same boat?

Does all of this sound familiar? Yes!!! You'll be at Walasi-yi in three days and they'll take care of you. Just do it!!

litefoot 2000

Chillfactor
03-12-2011, 14:41
I agree with Blissful about footwear. Heavy boots are hard on knees and slow you down but lots of us feel boots are necessary before we hit the trail. While taking it slow is fine in the beginning, you'll eventually realize that you've got to move faster to get to the next water source/shelter. I changed from a great pair of boots to trail runners after 200 miles. My feet and legs thanked me. I believe every pound you carry equals four pounds of weight on the knees.
I did lots of research and used what information I thought was best. Money was a factor in some instances but I didn't skimp on a sleeping bag, backpack, or boots. I was lucky to get a used tent for a great price. Just remember, you'll be living out of your backpack and lugging it around for months. Lighter lugging IS easier.
Don't concern yourself with the outfitter's opinions. I went back and forth to an outfitter (REI) and each salesperson had different opinions. I was dizzy with confusion and exhausted from frustration. I decided not to carry anything that was unnecessary. Some stuff is nice to have but it takes up room and adds weight. Some hikers are willing to carry extra pounds and don't eliminate special items. You'll realize what's best for you and you can pick up what you've got to have along the way.
You're tough enough to tackle the AT so you'll do great. Just don't over-think things and save that mental energy for the trail. You'll learn as you go and your hike will be awesome. Happy trails!

HDMama
03-13-2011, 10:16
Put all the stuff you intend to take in your pack and take a 5 mile stroll. If it works, don't mess with it. If it's too heavy, take something out or swap it for something ighter. Just remember, even when you get to Neels Gap and have them go through you gear, they will try to sell you lighter gear. You don't have to buy it. Use your own judgement. If what you have is working, then the lighter gear would be "nice" but not necessary. Lighter is always better, but only if you can afford it and are comfortable with it. Don't overdo your maildrops, there are plenty of places to resupply along the way. Many put stuff that they would normally have to buy in bulk (i.e. laundry detergent, medications, shampoo, etc.) in their drops, but most don't even bother with drops.

outdoordiva
03-14-2011, 13:33
No matter what make sure your Boots/Shoes WORK and fit before you head out. Everything else is just icing on the cake and gear is subject to opinion and style.

I usualy go with the smile and nod approach with these folks.... Most of them don't know much about the gear from what I've seen and are just trying to make a sale.

McPick
03-14-2011, 17:12
[QUOTE=Stearman;1126544] Once the crowds thin out you can dump the tent.QUOTE]

Diva... Lots of helpful advice above, except this irresponsible quote. Do NOT "dump" your tent for even one night. Have it with you always. Any number of situations can occur, some in the blink of an eye, that may cause you to need immediate shelter.

dropsofskywater
03-16-2011, 18:11
what do you think?

JS Rainer 4250 cubic in /4.2 lb.
NF elkhorn 4.10 lb.
Wenzel lone elk 3.88 lb.
Kelty sleeping pad 1.8 lb.
Alumumie cup 2 3/4 oz
Mess kit 7 3/8 oz
Eppi pen 3 1/4oz
UA long sleeve 8oz
Fleece 11 7/8 oz
Rain panco 11 1/8oz
Mosquito net hat 1 1/4oz
Gloves 1 5/8oz
Mittens 2 1/2oz
UA winter hat 2 1/8oz
Shorts/underpants 3 5/8 oz
Gators 1 7/8 oz
EMS base layer pants 5 oz
First aid kit 5 3/8 oz
Toiletry kit 5 7/8 oz
Trowel 1 7/8 oz
Compas/ matchstick 1 1/4 oz
Bra 2 5/8oz
Base layer shirt 5 5/8 oz
Light weight fleece 7 7/8 oz
Kelty head lamp 3 1/8 oz
Boot warmers 5 1/4 oz
Towel 2 1/2 oz
Camelbak 6 1/4 oz
Rope 6 oz
Waterproof iPod holder 2 5/8 oz
Camera 6 5/8 oz
Camcorder 5 oz
Cell phone 3 3/8 oz
iPod 3 3/4 oz
Stove 3/8 oz
Sun glasses 1oz
Base layer pants 4 1/8 oz
EMS zippoffs 13 1/2 oz
Colombia 11 3/4 oz
Shell 1lb 10 3/8 oz
Brim hat 4 1/2 oz
Leki poles 13 3/4 oz
Vasque boots 2 lb 12 1/2 oz

TFOS
03-16-2011, 23:56
This is for the AT, right?

Ditch the trowel and the net hat, you don't need them and won't use them.

Pick gloves or mittens, not both.

Get a little point and shoot that takes video rather than carrying two cameras.

You will never need a compass.

Skip the mess kit and the cup. Get yourself one nice lightweight pot and use it for everything.

For clothes bring: Zip-off pants and thermal tights/longjohns, two long sleeved shirts, two short sleeved shirts, a winter hat and gloves/mittens, and three pairs of socks. Leave the underpants at home, they'll give you crotch rot.

That's my take on your list. Or just keep what you have and add or discard as you discover what works for you.

TheChop
03-17-2011, 00:13
You could be lighter by quite a few pounds on your tent, sleeping bag etc. but it's a matter of paying to lighten up. Basically don't worry about it. You bought what you bought. If you get to Neel's and feel like you just can't carry that many pounds you can buy and swap out there unless you don't have the money. You could lose a good 5-6 pounds if you bought a different tent, sleeping bag, pad, etc. but you know it's not going to break your back. The real problem is if you've got the 30 ounce tent, the 2 lb bag, etc. and you're still pushing 40 or 45 pounds on the scale.

grayfox
03-17-2011, 01:07
Just a couple of quick thoughts here:

Your pack will be fine if it fits well and you are comfortable in it.

Your bag is heavy and bulky to pack and you will want something cooler and lighter as the weather warms.

Your tent has no rainfly, if it is the one I recall, and you will not find it adequate if the weather turns consistently rainy. It also has fiberglass poles which is what makes it heavy. I would at least add a 2ml painters drop cloth to protect your tent if it rains a lot and look at replacing this shelter first chance you get. Once you see what others are using you will have a better idea of what you will want.

Your mess kit will be a source of agravation if it is the fold over handle type. Replace it with any small pot with a lid-goodwill sort of thing will be fine.

Have you backed up your eppi pen with benadryl or the like? See your doc for max dosage for you or for a prescripton med you can carry.

Even if you can not make these changes now, pack up and get yourself to Mountain Crossing and ask for their help.

Blissful
03-17-2011, 09:42
Leave the underpants at home, they'll give you crotch rot.

Ugh. Not me. You really need underwear at least in the spring and fall. Maybe summer you could do without, but that's not for me. I'd take pantiliners and underwear that breathes good. If you wear zip offs there is decent air circulation to prevent crotch rot.

Snoring Sarge
03-18-2011, 10:53
I spent $450 bucks in rei on my trail clothes, yesterday. I am texting this from the bar in the Richmond airport waiting on my flight Atlanta. (MISSIED THE FIRST FLIGHT) It is my 47 birthday, so that said HERE IS THE BEST ADVICE YOU WILL EVER GET. SO GET A PENCIL I AM ONLY GOING TO TXT ONCE

I THE WORD OF GUNNY HIGHTOWER...HEARTBREAK RIDGE

YOU GOT YOUR WEAPON?
YOU GOT YOUR BOOTS
WE WILL IMPROVISE THE REST..

ALL YOU NEED Is
4 M.R.E.
a two quart canten
Pouncho
A pair on boots
a zippo
Sharp pocket knife
25 ft of 550 cord
And a visa card.

Anything thing else is just to make comfortable

Kiss keep it super simple........

pattyohyeah
05-18-2011, 22:54
this post just saved me. thanks drops.

Country Roads
05-19-2011, 20:08
I go over my list every time out and still figure I will forget something and I am an experienced b-packer. You can survive anything for 3 or 4 days, that will get you to Neels gap, then you can sit down and decide what worked, what didn't, what you really need and what was just extra weight. I expect very hiker rethinks gear choices at Neels gap. Just because you started with something does not mean you have to finish with it. I ditched clothes in the hiker box (washed of course) that just did not work and picked up something that worked much better.

The first thing I noticed is that everyone does it their own way and that no one was wrong. Some folks carried huge, heavy packs and they were happy; some carried itty bitty packs without much stuff and they were happy. My pack was in between and I was happy. My conclusion was that the gear did not make the trip; the scenery, people and just the walk were what made the hike.

Whatever you take will be the right stuff for you and you can change what you have if you want to. Have fun!!

RoadApe
05-19-2011, 20:18
Just get on the trail.... many people have many opinions. No one knows what works for YOU....

-SEEKER-
05-19-2011, 20:39
To keep it simple: I am an over thinker/planner too. Look over the advice here on WB and use what feels comfortable to you. You will surprise yourself once you get on the trail. You will calm down and will be comfortable with changing your plans when necessary. I was surprised at how flexible I was able to be when I need to. BTW, I didn't let them go through my pack at Neels gap. I figured I knew what I needed to be secure/comfortable and that when I decided I didn't need something I could mail it back home then. I guess you could argue that I have that luxury, because I'm not a thru-hiker. :o

LDog
05-19-2011, 21:14
Folks, the Drop's plan was to be on the trail in late March, and hasn't posted here since the 16th ... I wonder how she's doing ...