PDA

View Full Version : clip flashlight

hikerdg
01-10-2005, 18:04
I am considering the clip flashlight for my thru hike begining April 1. Would like to hear from others who have used this tent. I realize it is heavy by todays standards but love the room inside.

The Solemates
01-10-2005, 18:14
if you like room, I would go with the Mtn Hardwear Waypoint, which is more roomy and slightly lighter weight.

MOWGLI
01-10-2005, 18:29
I am considering the clip flashlight for my thru hike begining April 1. Would like to hear from others who have used this tent. I realize it is heavy by todays standards but love the room inside.

I used the tent on my hike, and on a bunch of subsequent hikes. I like it alot. I'm 6' tall. ANyone much taller would have problems. I'm a big guy though, and can easily bring my backpack inside my tent.

The tent has over 2500 miles on it, and I rarely use a ground cloth. I suppose you can find something lighter and cheaper. I would recommend the tent to just about anyone.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2005, 18:35
I've owned 2 over the years. Damn good tents. Worth the weight.

Belew
01-10-2005, 19:23
If you don't mind a few extra pounds it's a great tent. It's very fast and easy to set up. I get no condensation in mine and have plenty of room for all my gear. I use a tarp or a hammock now but used to clip flashlight for many years. For me, it's the perfect tent.

Palmer
01-10-2005, 19:37
I used a clip flashlight for many years, until my daughter decided that she needed it. Now I can't get it back. It's a great tent.

Scaper
01-10-2005, 19:43
I used a clip flashlight on my thru-hike and every year since at the beach and its still holding up fine after 15 years of use.

Peaks
01-10-2005, 21:11
I used a clip flashlight for many years, until my daughter decided that she needed it. Now I can't get it back. It's a great tent.

Funny you should mention that. My daughter used my Clip Flashlight on our coast to coast bike trip this past summer.

Anyway, it's a good proven tent and a popular tent. Kinda like an old Kelty backpack. You will not go wrong with it.

capehiker
01-14-2005, 14:55
I've had mine since 2000. Love it. I don't mind the extra weight as I know I'm getting durability and ruggedness. I recently got a hammock, but I'm keeping my Flashlight for when there is two of us or if a buddy is coming along who doesn't own a tent, etc...

Footslogger
01-14-2005, 15:06
The testimony for the Clip Flashlight is it's longevity in the Sierra Designs product line and the number of them that you see on the AT. In the recent years the Lightyear CD has replaced it a bit but the Clip is still out there and favored by many hikers.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Tin Man
01-14-2005, 20:18
I use a clip on my 50 mile section hikes with my brother every year. The only issue that I have with it is that it is not freestanding. The sections that I have hiked, MA and VT, have many sites with tent platforms and tying down or using rocks as weights in place of tent pegs is a minor hassle and does not give a taught pitch. That said, it is workable.

For two people, the clip works well. If you are traveling alone, my opinion is that if you are a big guy, want the extra room and don't mind the extra weight, then go for it. If you are thin (like me) and prefer to conserve weight (like I would if I were traveling alone) there are lighter alternatives.

ex-tennesseean
08-31-2006, 00:39
Let me offer another perspective. I've owned an original SD Flashlight (with pole sleeves) since REI came to town in the early '80s. I'd set it aside until I took my daughter backpacking this summer. I sold it soon afterwards, because after all those years, it was still cramped and dreary. Oh, it kept us dry during several brief showers, but that's all it does. There's no view in bad weather, no usable vestibule, and adequate headroom for one adult if you sit just so. There's a long unsupported surface between the hoops that can collect wet snow. Once, this tent was the only choice in the sub-4 lb. range, but now there are so many better options: one-pound tarps, two-pound tarptents, and the rest.

At the REI garage sale I picked up a Sub-Alpine for $80. It's like a grown-up flashlight, done in syl-nylon with three sturdy crossed poles, a fly vent, a porthole, and real headroom all the way down to the feet. It's an improvement in every way over the Flashlight, and lightweight stakes can make up the difference in weight.

I might not spend much time in the Sub-Alpine, though. Catching up on developments in tents after a decade or two, I discovered the Walrus/MSR Trekker tent. A few nights camped in the yard convinced me of its merits. Twice the square footage of the Sub-Alpine for the same weight! Or for half the weight when I leave the bug hut behind. It would sleep three easily, and four in a pinch. I can turn in with the side awning wide open for vent and view, and close it easily if the weather worsens. It's like a fast-pack option (fly and footprint) that's big enough to be usable. I hardly ever hear of folks using fastpack tents on these forums, wonder why? And instead of carrying a pound of aluminum tent poles, I carry a pound and a half of hiking poles that are far stronger and a lot more useful on the trail, whatever Ray thinks to the contrary.

fiddlehead
08-31-2006, 01:00
I used a clip flashlight until 1996 when i built my own tent.
Now i use a sil-nylon "sil-shelter" by integral designs. I belive it's about 1/6 the weight. I've never gotten wet in it although it's not bugfree.
I've also used a mega-mid by black diamond and i understand they make a much lighter version now. That's a great tent also.
i think the "Clip" is an old fashioned tent that just weighs too much by todays standards. but of course To each his own!

BlackCloud
08-31-2006, 09:26
if you like room, I would go with the Mtn Hardwear Waypoint, which is more roomy and slightly lighter weight.

I used to use the clip flashlight but found the Mtn Hardwear Waypoint to be better. Not only is it lighter, but it has a tub like floor where no seems touch the ground.

I can also attest that the Waypoint is bombproof in downpours..........:banana

Tin Man
08-31-2006, 22:46
BlackCloud, I don't see a Waypoint at mountainhardware.com, but I do see a Skypoint. Is that the tent you are referring to? The 2 person design appears to be about the same weight as the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight.

BlackCloud
09-01-2006, 09:29
BlackCloud, I don't see a Waypoint at mountainhardware.com, but I do see a Skypoint. Is that the tent you are referring to? The 2 person design appears to be about the same weight as the Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight.

That's a big negative Tin Man. Mtn Hardwear makes the Waypoint & the Waypoint 2; I have the latter b/c I like to sleep w/ my pack (I prefer women but I can't get any good looking ones to go into the woods w/ me).

Here's an ebay auction for it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mountain-Hardware-WAYPOINT-2-Spectacular-Tent-MINT_W0QQitemZ170023144002QQihZ007QQcategoryZ36118 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe they're not making it anymore. I bought mine in '03