PDA

View Full Version : Future backpacks coming soon...

Chubbs4U
03-10-2011, 03:53
I know there are a millions posts about this so Im going to try and change it a bit. Long story short. Got a Gregory Teton, weighs 5lbs or more and holds 3966 cu. Im returning it because of the weight, has very little pockets (I know I dont need a bunch but 1 or 2 would be great) and I think I want a little more than 3966 at 5 lbs. So heres what Im looking at and comments are fine but Im wondering if anything "new" and "gear changing" is coming out soon or even this year. Ive been looking for a bag for a bit so I know whats around but no idea whats coming soon. Thanks again and sorry for yet another post of "what bag to get..."

Gregory Z65- little smaller than Id like but i have a Z35 and its a great fit. So I could compromise if needed.

Osprey Atmos 65- Great weight and can carry around the weight I like.

Go Lite Pinnacle or Jam- Both great weight and can carry and I hear nothing but great things about them.

And then ULA the Catalyst or Circuit.

Who doesnt like a dancing banana?
:banana

Chubbs4U
03-10-2011, 04:44
Also looked into the Granite Gear Blaze AC 60 and possibly same Co. Nimbus Trace 62- both got great reviews.

.ghost.
03-10-2011, 09:25
I am a huge fan of my Deuter, but I don't have much experience with other packs. I would look at the ACT Lite series: very reasonably priced, durable, and not too heavy. My pack is 75 liters and is a hair under 4 pounds. As far as external pockets, it does have a front panel stretch pocket that I find extremely useful. It isn't the lightest, but the Aircontact system does a lot of work to cool off your back. Love it.

Spokes
03-10-2011, 10:50
I expect most all the AT outfitters to be seriously pushing the Granite Gear Blaze AC 60 this year since it was hyped so much by reps/distributors at their trade show this February. Funny since, as of today, the pack still doesn't show up on GG web page.

It'll be interesting to see how the "plastic" frame sheet (http://www.backpacker.com/editors-choice-2011-granite-gear-blaze-ac-60/videos/154) holds up on a thru hike.

STICK
03-10-2011, 11:15
I am very happy with my ULA Circuit. A great pack at a very fair price. But I will say this, at times it would be nice to have a third side pocket, above one of the side pockets already. That was one thing that drew my attention to the SMD Starlite. But that's me, and like I said, this is not all the time. I still highly reccommend this pack.

sixguns01
03-10-2011, 11:15
I know there are a millions posts about this so Im going to try and change it a bit. Long story short. Got a Gregory Teton, weighs 5lbs or more and holds 3966 cu. Im returning it because of the weight, has very little pockets (I know I dont need a bunch but 1 or 2 would be great) and I think I want a little more than 3966 at 5 lbs. So heres what Im looking at and comments are fine but Im wondering if anything "new" and "gear changing" is coming out soon or even this year. Ive been looking for a bag for a bit so I know whats around but no idea whats coming soon. Thanks again and sorry for yet another post of "what bag to get..."

Gregory Z65- little smaller than Id like but i have a Z35 and its a great fit. So I could compromise if needed.

Osprey Atmos 65- Great weight and can carry around the weight I like.

Go Lite Pinnacle or Jam- Both great weight and can carry and I hear nothing but great things about them.

And then ULA the Catalyst or Circuit.

:banana

I posted earlier. I love the Golite Pinnacle. Great capacity, which I only fully use in the winter, comfy ride and so far quite durable. You can find them on sale on eBay or check out Backpackinglight.com's gear swap forum. Always see packs up there and great prices. The Jam (2009 Model) is $50 on Golite's website but hurry, supplies are dwindling. Both weigh under 2lbs on my scale.

Do realize that both packs are only rated up to 30lbs max. So if your hitting 30lbs or more then maybe they arefor you. From your choices above, it seems that you are on the lightweight side of backpacking so I hope they help.

Have fun

Chubbs4U
03-10-2011, 15:32
I already have a Gregory Z35 that I love so Im trying to go bigger than that but under 5000cu for sure

lori
03-10-2011, 17:40
Granite Gear framesheets are great. They hold up pretty well to the weights they list for the pack - the framesheet on the Nimbus series is adjustable in inch increments to provide better fit. If you have a GG pack with removable hip belt, they will exchange the belt for one you want, either for size, or for swapping to more cushion, or a women's specific model.

Gregory packs are probably more durable but are overengineered - not everyone is that rough that you would want a 3 lb 40 liter pack.... and most of the light models aren't as adjustable as the Granite Gear models. Same with Osprey. The "ultralight" packs won't allow you to swap harness/belt (or they didn't last year....)

ULA packs are domestically made and great quality - when I get the chance I will have one that will take the bear can of my choice for trail hiking.

And one more thing... not all packs are for everyone. I am one of the unfortunates who can't wear any of the Osprey packs. From the Aura to the Exos to the Talon, all of the Ospreys I've tried on dig into my hips and are downright painful with a load in. Some people have Gregory because they can't wear Osprey, others vice versa.

I have a Gregory, a Granite Gear, and an Aarn. They all fit differently but fit well.

skinewmexico
03-10-2011, 18:29
What is "new" and "gear changing" with the main stream manufacturers like Osprey and Gregory today was a probably a standard feature from a cottage industy manufacturer like ULA, MLD, SMD, or Gossamer Gear 3 years ago.

Chubbs4U
03-10-2011, 19:22
lori- thanks for that info. the weight of the ULA and golite are amazing and seems like something I may not be able to pass up.

skinewmexico- so which way do you point me?

ChrisFol
03-10-2011, 19:31
lori- thanks for that info. the weight of the ULA and golite are amazing and seems like something I may not be able to pass up.

Something like the ULA Ohm, Golite Jam, Granite Vapor Trail or Six Moon Designs Swift with the optional stay would make great transition packs from your Gregory/Osprey type packs.

skinewmexico
03-10-2011, 21:16

www.gossamergear.com (http://www.gossamergear.com)
www.mountainlaureldesigns.com (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com)
www.zpacks.com (http://www.zpacks.com)
www.sixmoondesigns.com (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com)

You already found ULA. They were having a sale on a few Catalysts and Cirsuits a few days ago, but you have to call and check sizes. Not on the web site.

Chubbs4U
03-10-2011, 22:31
Yeah I just literally missed it. On their FB page they said they had 2 left and emailed them and just missed out. I thank you for the links.

I also really like a pocket or 2 on the waist. Shopping for a bag is like shopping for a car.

This is also just my opinion...gossamergear are solid but not too many pockets espec on the waistline
Zpacks are a little smaller than Id like to go but I do like their shoulder pouch.
Mtn Laurel is a 4400 ark is sweet but no waist pockets and with all the add ons it gets up there is price.
I do really like the 6 moon starlite. That bag looks sweet. It says its a frameless pack. I understand what that means but what does it mean? So far I really like that pack a lot.

hobbs
03-10-2011, 22:53
Yeah I just literally missed it. On their FB page they said they had 2 left and emailed them and just missed out. I thank you for the links.

I also really like a pocket or 2 on the waist. Shopping for a bag is like shopping for a car.
If your looking at the Golite. They sold all the golite 2009 models in clearence. But hit the main menu items packs. punch in this code bsf10. It discounts a pinnacle or any pack on there...I believe 40%..Hope that helps...

Chubbs4U
03-10-2011, 23:15
Wow...That makes a Pinnacle that much sweeter. Top 3 as of now
Pinnacle
Circuit/Catalyst
Starlite

I appreciate all the help and welcome more of it.

skinewmexico
03-10-2011, 23:57
Pinnacle is frameless. Mine is brutal with more than 25#.

Edit - I take that back. My Exos was brutal, my Pinnacle is just uncomfortable.

pfann
03-11-2011, 00:22
[QUOTE=
:banana[/QUOTE]

I'm not real fond of the dancing banana.

Chubbs4U
03-11-2011, 01:42
skinewmexico-So what kind of "frame" backpack do you have?
couple more questions before I order.
the Circuit, does that have an internal frame? It doesnt mention it and says it has an internal suspension hoop? What is that?

If I order a golite, ultralight without a frame (could get a solid backpack for $100) and if I want a little bigger backpack, probably one with a frame, so curious if the Circuit has a frame. The Catalyst just seems SO big.

skinewmexico
03-11-2011, 12:25
My Catalyst is so big I rarely use it. If I had to carry 10 days food, it would probably be perfect. When I bought my Circuit, it had a carbon hoop frame, and an optional aluminum stay. I got the stay so I could haul more water. I think all of the options come with the pack now that there are new owners.

Tenderheart
03-11-2011, 12:36
ULA Ohm would be my choice. You don't need a big backpack. Believe me!!

litefoot 2000

skinewmexico
03-11-2011, 12:45
ULA Ohm would be my choice. You don't need a big backpack. Believe me!!

litefoot 2000

Gotta admit, I don't have an Ohm. I do have a Conduit though, but it's frameless. I have a Gossamer Gear Gorilla I use when I want something Ohm sized.

Chubbs4U
03-11-2011, 13:27
Litefoot- Im not questioning your judgment Im just curious as to why you pick the Ohm over the Circuit? Ive looked around and I cant find too much on the Ohm but a ton on the Circuit.
It seems like the Ohm has no frame, the Catalyst does but does the Circuit? I agree that he Catalyst is huge so I wont get that one.

Tenderheart
03-11-2011, 13:57
Litefoot- Im not questioning your judgment Im just curious as to why you pick the Ohm over the Circuit? Ive looked around and I cant find too much on the Ohm but a ton on the Circuit.
It seems like the Ohm has no frame, the Catalyst does but does the Circuit? I agree that he Catalyst is huge so I wont get that one.

According to the specs on the Ohm, it is a full suspension backpack. The size is plenty for a thru hike, if you don't have too much stuff. I agree with you that most people on this site recommend the larger versions. Some manufacturer a few years ago made a pack and named it AT Thruhiker. If I remember correctly, the thing was 7000 cubes. Bigger ain't better in this case. However, the Circuit may meet your needs better. Good luck in choosing. A fellow hiker wiser than I once said that if you have the room, you'll fill it.

litefoot 2000
litefoot 2000

Chubbs4U
03-11-2011, 18:51
Went to REI today and found a gem. I believe its the new Osprey Atmos65. It weighs between 3lb 9 oz to 3 lb 12 oz, matters where you look. I tried it on and it fit perfect, heard that Osprey can sometimes fit odd just like a shoe. They had a few 2010 also I think cause they had the same bag, Atmos65 but a few little things were different on the 2 bags (what I saw the new bag has a zipper pocket on each side of the main pack and a little lighter). So I also have an email out to ULA cause I also really like the Circuit and cant decide yet. The fact that I cant try it on, the Circuit, is whats holding me up. Thoughts...Atmos65 or Circuit....I appreciate all the help.

lori
03-12-2011, 02:02
Yeah, you want to be careful about that. The Atmos is the men's version of the Aura - I used to have an Aura, it was a great pack! Until I hiked 8 miles with all my gear in it. Made my back sore. You really cannot tell until you hike with the pack with your gear in - regardless of make and model. Osprey fits great for me in the store. I even gave it the benefit of the doubt, swapped my Gossamer Gear Mariposa with someone's Exos on a backpack - same problem, rode on my back like I was trying to carry a steel frame on my hips.

Chubbs4U
03-12-2011, 03:47
Lori your information scares me. Umm, what pack do you use now?

WILLIAM HAYES
03-12-2011, 04:26
ULA Catalyst would be my choice

skinewmexico
03-12-2011, 13:44
Thoughts...Atmos65 or Circuit....I appreciate all the help.

Given the choice, I would rather help someone make a payroll in Utah instead of Vietnam. And I did that despite getting a proform from Osprey. There is a reason ULA is one of the most highly regarded thru-hike packs made (at least on all the trails but the AT).

The Ohm does have a hoop frame, and there are 5 user reviews on it at BPL.

Fit is still the most important feature a pack can have.

Chubbs4U
03-12-2011, 23:00
I agree with buying US on things. I dont always do that but if its a toss up I usually do. My issues are that I cant try it on and then I have to pay for the shipping if I dont like which isnt that big a deal but considering that I still have to send back a bag thats at my house currently, just gets old. I was told the Catalyst was a little big so was looking more towards the Circuit but would like more on your opinion Mr Hayes. The Atmos had some awesome pockets that I really liked with the pack I saw(2 zipper pockets on each side of the main pack close to full length)

wcgornto
03-12-2011, 23:42
The Starlite has no frame sheet. However, it has a zip up pocket where you can insert your sleep pad. By doing this, your pad becomes the frame sheet. The pack weighs a pound and a half empty. You can add two aluminum stays that give a bit more structure ans add about six ounces or so.

This is the pack that I used on my 2009 thru hike and it worked very well for me.

lori
03-13-2011, 17:58
Lori your information scares me. Umm, what pack do you use now?

I have several packs, including a Gregory and a Granite Gear, both for the frame's ability to support heavier loads.

I've tried on the Catalyst and Circuit - so when I get round to having money again I will probably buy the smaller of the two, for lightweight backpacking. I loaded it down with 30 lbs in the store and found it rides pretty well, and also, I know that if I take it out backpacking and find I don't want it after all, there's a pretty good market for secondhand ULA packs. But I doubt that will happen.... The more you backpack the more you know what you need, and I can tell when a pack doesn't fit quite right.

Osprey packs work for a lot of people. Some folks buy nothing but. However, their ultralight packs are merely light, and not customizable, and people either love or hate them. I needed more durability and the ability to carry the pack all day without soreness so I could get up the next day and carry it again. Osprey just doesn't work for me. A lot of women find that to be true. Some men too. For 3 lbs I can have a Granite Gear pack with more capacity and better frame than the Atmos/Aura can give me - my needs changed since I had the Aura - so it made more sense to get the Granite Gear. I had to get a different sized hip belt and one cannot swap the belt on the ultralight Ospreys.

Chubbs4U
03-13-2011, 18:14
Lori I thank you for your detailed response. Is there a store that carries ULA? I would love to try on before I buy. Havent found a GG I liked but saw a few won some awards this year. Kind of stuck between the ULA packs I like.

lori
03-14-2011, 00:16
Lori I thank you for your detailed response. Is there a store that carries ULA? I would love to try on before I buy. Havent found a GG I liked but saw a few won some awards this year. Kind of stuck between the ULA packs I like.

I tried them all on in Santa Cruz, in a store that just happened to ALSO have all the Osprey packs, and all of the Granite Gear packs.

ULA list of retailers here: http://www.ula-equipment.com/community.asp

Granite Gear has a dealer locator on their website - scroll down to the bottom and look in the right column.

Chubbs4U
03-14-2011, 01:35
Thanks all. Lori some great help. I ended up ordering a Catalyst tonight. Hopefully be in the mail this week. Ill let you know how it feels...

Chubbs4U
03-16-2011, 17:46
Got my Pinnacle today. Pretty sweet from the looks of it and light. Also didnt know about the "compacktor system" so thats also pretty cool.

tuswm
03-16-2011, 17:52
good luck with that. maybe you will be able to try it out this weekend if you are lucky.

Chubbs4U
03-16-2011, 23:40
Was supposed to but got called to NY to work on a pilot that I just couldn't pass up. At least it isn't going to be nice out. Oh wait...

Wags
03-17-2011, 22:35
Surprised nobody mentioned my favorite pack. Osprey Exos 58. The trampoline back is amazing when it's hot out. sweet fully featured pack at reasonable weight