PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Skurka in National Geographic

rickb
03-10-2011, 08:36
Anyone else see the article in the latest National Geographic Magazine?

I heard Andrew Skurka's Alaska trip was something special, but I had not been paying attention. The map and graphic in the magazine really blew me away.

skooch
03-10-2011, 09:03
yes I saved the photo of him fording the river on hiking poles and skis! I just can't post it from work. It's on my desktop at home. worth googling. what an amazing adventure.

Thatguy
03-10-2011, 09:15
Is this the article you're talking about? It's pretty fascinating.

http://ngadventure.typepad.com/blog/andrew-skurka/

moytoy
03-10-2011, 09:16
Skurka will be doing a talk at the NOC April 10. I'm taking some time off to go visit family near there and plan on going to his presentation.

halftime
03-10-2011, 09:34
Link to Andrew's website (http://www.andrewskurka.com/).

skooch
03-10-2011, 10:19
Is this the article you're talking about? It's pretty fascinating.

http://ngadventure.typepad.com/blog/andrew-skurka/

YES. how amazing is that!

Mags
03-10-2011, 10:22
Andrew is giving a presentation in a couple of week at the local outfitter where he bought his skis.

Should be good.

GoonerYank
03-10-2011, 10:29
I would love to be able to join Andrew Skurka on an adventure. I got wrapped up in his website one day and I really admire his philosophy and methods. I don't intend on being as ultralight as him but there are definitely things to learn from him.

skinewmexico
03-10-2011, 10:45
Skurka was an instructor at one of the BPL trekking schools last year, or the year before. I was telling someone that was like fantasy camp for hikers.

hobbs
03-10-2011, 17:59
Well he will be in DC monday for his NG presentation and I think I will drive up and catch it..Would love to hear what he has to say...

couscous
03-10-2011, 21:11
Anyone else see the article in the latest National Geographic Magazine?

I had Andrew sign my copy when I was at one of his presentations last month. I would highly recommend attending his Alaska/Yukon slide show. He is working on a book, usually has draft copies available for purchase at his presentations.

SwitchbackVT
03-10-2011, 21:53
I wonder if Andrew Skurka and Justin Lichter have ever crossed paths. Or how many times?

Lone Wolf
03-10-2011, 21:56
I wonder if Andrew Skurka and Justin Lichter have ever crossed paths. Or how many times?

me and my co-legend baltimore jack cross paths often. matter of fact, last saturday nite i was makin' a beeline for the bar and he cut right in front of me

SwitchbackVT
03-10-2011, 22:11
me and my co-legend baltimore jack cross paths often. matter of fact, last saturday nite i was makin' a beeline for the bar and he cut right in front of me

Ha! Too funny. There are quite a few legends here on WB, it's funny to read about some of you guys in books (like The Barefoot Sisters, Awol on the AT, BP magazine) and then to hear your actual posts and experiences here. Another reason this is such a great site. It'd a pleasure to have a cold one or two with you fellas on the trail this year!

Spirit Walker
03-11-2011, 00:26
I think Skurka is doing a presentation at the ALDHA Gathering in Mass. this October.