PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a FF Winter Wren

Capt Chaos
01-10-2005, 19:36
Hey guys. I just bought a Feathered Friends Winter Wren to take on my Thru-hike. This bag seems like it totally rocks. :banana

steve hiker
01-10-2005, 20:13
You just wasted a lota money. Shoulda bought a Western Mountaineering instead. j/k

Knoxvegas? I can understand Nashvegas with all its showbiz and neon glitz, but Knoxville? Never could understand that.

tribes
01-10-2005, 20:44
I have taken my 35 degree rock wren down to 30 degrees with a silk liner many times. Probably had a few degrees leeway now that I think about it. Feathered Friends is equal to or better than a WM despite what others say. FF makes your bag custom after you order what colors you would like it in. I considered a Winter Wren for my thru but went with a WM badger instead for the extra shoulder room. The Wren series are either 59-60 inches in the shoulders where I tend to be a bit broad. You will love the foothole and armholes though. Great for cooking on a cold AM in camp.

TRI :sun BES

JoeHiker
01-11-2005, 00:23
I never realized that you could get FF bags with a shell made out of eVENT. That's an excellent idea. Had I known that, I might have bought an FF instead of a WM.

Still satisfied with my WM, though.

Singletrack
01-11-2005, 03:08
Hope you recieve it before you leave on your thru hike. They will tell you 3-6 weeks. In reality, it will be more like 8-10 weeks. I had to cancel my last order after 8 weeks. They were having production problems. They said. They make great bags, but lack marketing and production skills.

highway
01-11-2005, 11:14
Any FF is worth every penny you pay. But, quality usually is, though.

For three-season the 30 degree rating of just the sub two-pound Wren is honest and adequate for me. With either Wren, if a pee urge srikes you during night you dont even have to leave your bag to do it. Just undo the drawstring in the foot, hike the bag up some, walk to a likely spot, hike it up further out of the line of fire and squeeze. In the mornings you dont even need a heavier jacket while you cook and pack. Stick your arms through the arm holes and wear it like a down jacket while you move around doing both. Get out of your bag and pack it last! Great bag. And worth the money for it :)

brian
01-11-2005, 14:40
A question for both of you: How did you get yourself to order the bag? I am really interested in the bag (and am looking for a FF bag with Epic), but I dont think I could get myself to order one. What turned it for you, and how does the bag work in colder temperatures? How does the foot sealer end work? Thanks

Brian

David S.
01-11-2005, 14:55
I just ordered one myself and recieved it a few weeks ago. It took probably 5-6 weeks total. Unfortunately, somehow we miscommunicated and it was about a foot to long...so they are building another. It really is a first rate bag...though I don't have anything to compare it to.

I purchased one becuase I thought it would make getting into and out of a hammock alot easier. (A friend of mine also has one and he seems to like it)Also, the ability to be able to do certain tasks in the warmth of the bag was very appealing to me. Ultimately, you could probably leave the heavier jacket at home for some trips. Also, I have a tendancy to like my leg room sometimes and this one certainly provides for that. Its not the lightest option around but it sure is comfy. In warmer weather you could probably get creative and stay pretty comfortable in it as well.

brian
01-11-2005, 15:40
Thanks for the reply. One question: Do you have a full length zipper? If so, how long is it? What is your height and the placement of the zipper relative to you when in the bag? THat would be my main concern for summer use. Thanks again

Singletrack
01-11-2005, 15:46
I ordered a Winter Wren about 5 years ago. Then it was rated at 15 degrees. I had an extra 2 oz. of down put in, that might drop it down to rate at 10 degrees. I have the Epic shell. The design is great. I highly recommend them, if you have patience with their cuustomer service. It weighs in at 45.5 oz. and I used it during the cold times on my thru hike. If your an ounce weenie, do not pay attention to their weights. It will more than likely be more.

highway
01-11-2005, 16:42
I bought a Winter Wren some years ago but found it heavy and far to hot for me, down to freezing. I ordered a Wren, Epic shell, over-stuffed with a few ounces of 800+ down and its comfy to freezing and weighs slightly less than 2 pounds. It carries a 30F rating but its probably more like 25F, but who really knows? The Drawstring at foot seals well and is easy to pull open.

Its great for a hennessey hammock, too. Before getting into hammock I stand in the opening, face the foot of the hammock and pull the sleeping bag over my head and push my arms out the arm holes. I pull the bag down, sit in the hammock, scoot up higher, which pulls the bag further down, arrange the foam and mat, dram my knees up towards my chin, reach down and pull the drawstring taut. Eureka. I'm inside the mummy bag. Usually, if not too cold I leave my arms outside, through the arm holes. If it gets cold i just pull my arms inside and never even zip the armhole zippers-they seem to close themselves. I sleep in either tank top or tee and shorts, and if its real cold I'll leave on my fleece pullover with hood.

Zipper can be 1/2, 3/4 or full. Remember, these are not off the rack bags; they are made just for you. The zipper is where it should be, right down the center so you can work it with either hand and where you want "lose" it during the night.

As I said before, you dont even have to leave your bag in the middle of the night if you are overcome with the urge to pee. In a hammock, pull knees up, open drawstring at foot of bag, push feet through, stand up through the slit, take a couple of side steps, turn away from hammock, and let it fly-just remember where you put your gear though. I usually just put mine under the hammock but toward the head, just for this reason. Females would have other gyrations than the above, I guess, but I cant help you there.

leave your heavy jacket, too. Its only cold in evening and mornings mostly/three season use in the mountains and you could just wear your sleeping bag then. I do. It looks funny but you are warmer wearing it than with any jacket, short of an expedition one.

Quality of the bag is superior. If its amortized over the many years it will last you, it becomes cheaper than other, lessor-costing bags. But, one gets what one pays for, dont they? But thats my opinion :)

NICKTHEGREEK
01-11-2005, 17:46
Any FF is worth every penny you pay. But, quality usually is, though.

For three-season the 30 degree rating of just the sub two-pound Wren is honest and adequate for me. With either Wren, if a pee urge srikes you during night you dont even have to leave your bag to do it. Just undo the drawstring in the foot, hike the bag up some, walk to a likely spot, hike it up further out of the line of fire and squeeze. In the mornings you dont even need a heavier jacket while you cook and pack. Stick your arms through the arm holes and wear it like a down jacket while you move around doing both. Get out of your bag and pack it last! Great bag. And worth the money for it :)
:-? No way would I ever even consider taking my wake up squirt within 10 yards of my down bag! Most of the time I'm still half asleep- I'd screw up the order of operations and I'd zip my pants up, lower my bag and let fly. Any how, many happy wake ups in your wren!

rustyb
01-11-2005, 21:40
I don't have the winter version but rather the regular one. And, I was lucky that FF had it in stock and w/ the optional 800 fill down.

Any how, I love the bag.....works great in all kinds of climates.....ventilates excellently and have stayed warm down to freezing many times with micro fleece on. I even used it on an overnight winter yurt trip once and combined with lightweight underwear and Polartec 200 fleece, stayed perfectly warm. Of course there was a fire when we went to sleep but it soon went out and the temp plummeted to 17 degrees. My only complaint is that there are no draft tubes on the zippered arm openings which can create a cool spot when not wearing much on top.

Also, yeah, it isn't the lightest bag for it's temp rating.....unless you consider the fact your jacket/coat can now stay home. I have yet to regret having no additional jacket when using this bag in the summer months.

For the hottest of summer trips, I'll be experimenting with my new WM Linelite. Similar concept w/ less loft & no hood. She's a mere 14oz!

brian
01-23-2005, 22:06
Well, after some though on my part, I think I'm going to order the FF Rock Wren (35 deg), with an EPIC shell in regular length. I want to get the full length zipper, the 800 fill down upgrade, and possibly 2oz overfill. I didnt want the Winter Wren (25 deg), becuase I knew I was going to get the 800 fill down, and wanted more of a 3 season bag then a 3+ bag. Thanks for all of your help and advice! THis should work really well in my hammock and under my 8' x 10'! Brian

Capt Chaos
01-29-2005, 09:08
Ok. I took my dad's FF Winter Wren out last weekend for a test. His is the same bag just in the long length.

Here is the kicker:
-5 degrees inside the shelter.
-20 degree windchill outside.

My feet got chilled in the middle of the night with socks on. The best explanation to that was there was too much air to circulate at the foot of the bag since it was a long bag. I am 5 foot 10 inches and his bag is for people 6'6".

Overall I give this bag an outstanding rating. I certainly survived. Other than my feet getting chilled, I was pretty comfortable.

I also talked to FF on Wednesday and they said my bag should be done by Monday 31st. That means I will probably get it within the next week or so.

NICKTHEGREEK
01-29-2005, 09:44
Ok. I took my dad's FF Winter Wren out last weekend for a test. His is the same bag just in the long length.

Here is the kicker:
-5 degrees inside the shelter.
-20 degree windchill outside.

My feet got chilled in the middle of the night with socks on. The best explanation to that was there was too much air to circulate at the foot of the bag since it was a long bag. I am 5 foot 10 inches and his bag is for people 6'6".

Overall I give this bag an outstanding rating. I certainly survived. Other than my feet getting chilled, I was pretty comfortable.

I also talked to FF on Wednesday and they said my bag should be done by Monday 31st. That means I will probably get it within the next week or so.Money well spent! What type of fabric did you get? I'll be looking forward to an update when it arrives. Pleasant dreams!

Capt Chaos
01-29-2005, 10:13
I have the ePic fabric with the 800 fill upgrade. The bag will be a regular in length.