PDA

View Full Version : Permit and bear regs along BMT in Smokies

Yamagame
03-10-2011, 13:19
Got a couple questions about regulations in the Smokies along the BMT. Are my assumptions about how these rules work correct?

1) Do the unrationed campsites along the BMT in the Smokies have bear hoists?

It looks like from the Smokies regulations, that in the absence of bear hoists, we're supposed to do our own bear bagging. Is my reading of the rules correct in that if an unrationed campsite has no bear hoists, I must hang my own food?

2) Everyone needs a backcountry permit, even if intending to stay only at unrationed sites. For NOBOs, these can be obtained at Twenty-mile Ranger Station, and for SOBOs, call in at Big Creek Ranger station phone? Does this mean that if I'm a SOBO, it's ok if I don't have a "paper" backcountry permit---just a number or something they give me (perhaps until I make it to a "physical" ranger station?

Sorry if these have been asked before. Didn't see them in a perfunctory glance through the BMT threads history, and permit stuff is always a little tricky to figure out until you actually do it. Thanks for your clarification!

royalusa
03-10-2011, 13:53
1. Not all campsites have bear hoists. Most do, but not all. We thought they all did for our BMT hike last year and were surprised to find none at campsite #77. (http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=317408)

I just read the GSMNP regulations too and I see the sentence, “Regulations require proper food storage.” And then it goes on to explain how to do that. So yes, hanging your food or using a bear vault in the absence of a bear hoist would be the regulation….now, has anyone been ticketed for not doing so….that’s another question. But bears are very active in the Smokies.

2. Correct, even if you stay only at unrationed sites, you still need a permit. No need to call, as you only call to reserve a rationed site. Permits are paper documents that are at the ranger stations…you fill it out, leave one copy in the box and take the other copy with you. If you are staying at only unrationed sites, you will not have a reservation number. Both the Twenty-mile Ranger Station and the Big Creek Ranger Station are right there at the “edge” of the park, so you’ll be fine.

10-K
03-10-2011, 14:04
GSMNP throws me for a loop every time I hike there.

Looking at the BMT through the park it looks like it wouldn't be hard to hit an unrationed campsite every night and that's my plan. Still undecided about whether to go into Cherokee or stay at Smokemont and am just going to play that one by ear I guess.

I'm guessing the campsite reservations are like the shelter reservations - you do the best you can but they don't have a helicopter they'll use to lift you out of the park if weather or something prohibits you from getting to your reserved spot (or winding up somewhere without a reservation for some good reason).

royalusa
03-10-2011, 14:33
I'm guessing the campsite reservations are like the shelter reservations - you do the best you can but they don't have a helicopter they'll use to lift you out of the park if weather or something prohibits you from getting to your reserved spot (or winding up somewhere without a reservation for some good reason).

I would think so, but then I guess it all depends on which ranger you get and how his/her day is going. :-? I seem to faintly recall a larger group of kids being told to hike down a side trail to another site when they arrived at an AT shelter without a reservation. I believe that was a night hike they won't forget for a while.

bulldog49
03-10-2011, 16:22
[QUOTE=Yamagame;1126656]Got a couple questions about regulations in the Smokies along the BMT. Are my assumptions about how these rules work correct?

All campsites have bear lines, sometimes though they aren't operable.

bulldog49
03-10-2011, 16:25
Also, you are required to carry an actual permit, even if you called and made an advance reservation. Big Creek Ranger station has the permits right next to the phone.

Bianchi Veloce
03-10-2011, 17:53
There are 14 places to obtain a permit.

Copied and pasted from the GSMNP website:

Great Smoky Mountains National Park requires a permit for all backcountry camping in the park. Backcountry permits are free and are available at the following locations:

• Oconaluftee Visitor Center
• Sugarlands Visitor Center
• Twentymile Ranger Station
• Fontana Marina
• Fontana Dam Visitor Center
• Deep Creek Campground Office
• Smokemont Campground Office
• Cataloochee Valley near campground
• Big Creek Ranger Station
• Cosby Campground Office
• Greenbrier Ranger Station
• Elkmont Campground Office
• Tremont Environmental Center
• Cades Cove Campground Office
• Abrams Creek Ranger Station.

Registration areas are accessible 24 hours a day. Permits must be picked up in the park at one of the locations listed above. They are not available on the Internet or through email.

Yamagame
03-18-2011, 19:16
Looks like these are the answers then:

Yes, but they don't always work

2) Everyone needs a backcountry permit, even if intending to stay only at unrationed sites. For NOBOs, these can be obtained at Twenty-mile Ranger Station, and for SOBOs, call in at Big Creek Ranger station phone? Does this mean that if I'm a SOBO, it's ok if I don't have a "paper" backcountry permit---just a number or something they give me (perhaps until I make it to a "physical" ranger station?

Thanks everyone!

As a SOBO, I call in for reservations from Big Creek and can pick up a piece of paper there.

10-K
03-18-2011, 19:38
When are you starting? I'm hiking nobo starting April 11....

royalusa
03-18-2011, 20:09
As a SOBO, I call in for reservations from Big Creek and can pick up a piece of paper there.

I think we confused you on reservations. Reservations for restricted sites can be obtained 30 days in advance. If you wait until you get to Big Creek to make a reservation you run a huge risk of not getting your desired reserved site. The popular sites go quickly...often 29 days in advance. Try to forecast your nights in the Smokies and book your reservation for the reserved sites 30 days in advance!

royalusa
03-19-2011, 07:06
I think we confused you on reservations. Reservations for restricted sites can be obtained 30 days in advance. If you wait until you get to Big Creek to make a reservation you run a huge risk of not getting your desired reserved site. The popular sites go quickly...often 29 days in advance. Try to forecast your nights in the Smokies and book your reservation for the reserved sites 30 days in advance!

Just to clarify, I should have said "one month" in advance, rather than 30 days. The site (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/backcountry-camping.htm) states: "For example, if you wish to backpack on August 8-12, you may call the Backcountry Reservation Office on July 8 to make reservations for the entire length of time you will be backpacking.)"

The Backcountry Reservation Office at (865) 436-1231 is open from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. daily, but it's very difficult to get through....start calling at 8:00 am and keep hitting redial every minute until you get through. Sometimes it takes 15 minutes, other times it may take 30+ minutes to get through.

10-K
03-19-2011, 07:25
I guess I need to really sit down and have a good look at the campsites in the park but if memory serves there are enough unreserved sites spaced closely enough that you should conceivably be able to hike through the park without needing to make any reservations - is this not correct?

jlb2012
03-19-2011, 08:14
I had no problem with using unreserved sites south of Smokemont but I used some rationed sites from Smokemont to Big Creek - if I remember correctly I used Laurel Gap Shelter, Enloe Creek and Mt Sterliing

10-K
03-19-2011, 09:36
I had no problem with using unreserved sites south of Smokemont but I used some rationed sites from Smokemont to Big Creek - if I remember correctly I used Laurel Gap Shelter, Enloe Creek and Mt Sterliing

I guess I better get on the ball... I see what you mean - west of Smokemont there are plenty of unreserved sites - not so much on the east side.

SGT Rock
03-19-2011, 18:49
And two of the best sites on the BMT are in that section and are reservation sites.

10-K
03-19-2011, 19:40
And two of the best sites on the BMT are in that section and are reservation sites.

So, leaving 3 weeks from today and having absolutely no idea where I'll be and when - how would I even attempt to reserve a site?

It's no problem to call a week out when I have a better idea of where I'm at but then I'm risking not being able to get a spot at all....

SGT Rock
03-19-2011, 19:49
Possibly. one could walk that half and use 48 and 44 which are non reservation sites as a back up in case you were off your plan.