PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 or Hubba Hubba

Bearbag
03-10-2011, 13:31
Anyone have experience with either of these 2 person tents? Also would you recommend another choice? Let me hear your opinions. Thanks.

swjohnsey
03-10-2011, 13:41
I have a Seedhouse SL1 and shopped the Hubba before I bought it. SL2 is much lighter (about a pound) the HH. Both have about the same amount of room. Entry on SL2 is in front, on HH it is on side. SL2 is about 20 bucks more expensive.

FamilyGuy
03-10-2011, 13:53
Fully packed the SL1 weighs exactly 6oz less than the Hubba, so there is not a pound difference between the two.

I have used both the HH and the SL2. The SL2 will not fit two standard sized 20" thermarest sleeping pads but the HH will. The SL2 has much less total volume than the HH - the later has more headroom and width at every point of the footprint. The HH also comes with two doors and two vestibules. If you are going to use the tent for two, the HH is much better at the expense of 16oz. If you want a 1+ tent, then go with the SL2.

Bearbag
03-10-2011, 14:42
Fully packed the SL1 weighs exactly 6oz less than the Hubba, so there is not a pound difference between the two.

I have used both the HH and the SL2. The SL2 will not fit two standard sized 20" thermarest sleeping pads but the HH will. The SL2 has much less total volume than the HH - the later has more headroom and width at every point of the footprint. The HH also comes with two doors and two vestibules. If you are going to use the tent for two, the HH is much better at the expense of 16oz. If you want a 1+ tent, then go with the SL2.

have any info on a Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL2 ?

ekeverette
03-10-2011, 14:50
i have not had any personal experiance with the two, but i am going to buy one of them myself. have done about a week of research, and the hh appears to have far better reviews, but again i haven't tried myself. i'm going with the hubba.

Bearbag
03-10-2011, 15:17
i have not had any personal experiance with the two, but i am going to buy one of them myself. have done about a week of research, and the hh appears to have far better reviews, but again i haven't tried myself. i'm going with the hubba.

The weight difference is the only reason there is a choice. But coming to the conclusion its not enough to justify the BASL2 over the HH.

royalusa
03-10-2011, 15:19
We used the Hubba Hubba on our thru in 2008 and were very pleased with it. It is heavy compared to single wall tents, but at the time we felt a double wall tent for the AT was appropriate for us. We tented 99% of the time on our thru, so it got lots of usage! (Sometimes you'll get feedback from someone on a tent only later to find out that they used the shelters way more than they used the tent...thus the reason I stated how much we used the tent vs. the shelter.)

Red Hat
03-10-2011, 17:43
Another choice is the Lightheart Duo. www.lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Duo.html

excellent tent, uses trekking poles

bulldog49
03-10-2011, 18:11
I prefer side entrance tents to front entrance, so I would go with the Hubba Hubba for that reason alone.

Press
03-10-2011, 19:55
I have the SL2 and love it, but use it for solo tent, would be pretty tight for two.

Cabin Fever
03-10-2011, 19:58
I have a Hubba Hubba and it is bullet proof (weather speaking). I have rode out on January snow/wind on the Art Loeb Trail and August thunderstorms in the Roans with no problems. I really like all MSR products.

Many Walks
03-10-2011, 20:13
We took the HH on our thru and were really happy with it. Nice to have a vestibule for each person and it held up really well in some nasty storms. After the thru I spotted a REI Quarterdome T2 floor model on sale for $149 and couldn't pass it up. It's about the same tent as the HH but a bit lighter and a little less costly at normal price. Another nice two person tent.

Blissful
03-10-2011, 21:19
I love the hubba hubba for the 2 doors.

Northern Lights
03-10-2011, 21:33
I love my Hubba Hubba, so much so I just ordered the new lime green one. Can't wait to get out in that one!

Walkintom
03-10-2011, 23:40
The wife and I can sleep comfortably in the Hubba Hubba. Having two doors is one of the key parts of that equation - makes it so much easier to coordinate. The other major part is that there is indeed enough room for two normal people to lay out their gear and sleep.

FamilyGuy
03-11-2011, 00:54

No - sorry.

KillerKowalski
03-11-2011, 04:00

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. (http://www.rei.com/product/813048)

royalusa
03-11-2011, 07:05
On more nice feature on the Hubba Hubba, besides doing great in stormy weather, is the ability to set up the rainfly first in a downpour and then the inner mesh so that the tent stays drier inside. Be sure to read up on that part of the instructions...it came in handy a few times for us on our thru.

Also, if you use the tent as much as we did, eventually you'll need to recoat the bathtub floor with a DWR. We did it when we got home, but it would have been better to do it sooner.

mykl
03-11-2011, 09:44
Look into the Big Agnes Emerald Mountain. It's about the same weight as the MSR, but it's longer (7' 6" vs 7' on Hubba Hubba) which is a big deal for me. BA has discontinued the Emerald Mountain so you might find it at a good price. I have heard nothing but good things about them. You can also (like the Hubba Hubba now) can get a monster optional vestibule.
Also, the Mountain Hardwear Skyledge is a nice tent, similar dimensions as the MSR, but lighter. My friend has one that he's very happy with. Mountain Hardwear has great customer service as well (not sure about MSR or BA).

MkBibble
03-11-2011, 13:21
i have the seedhouse sl2; selected it over the hubba hubba due to the weight savings. usually just me, but i have had two in there a number of nights (and 3 for one VERY long night in the smokies...); it really has plenty of room. the single door hasn't caused me any grief, but the dual doors and vestibules would be nice with 2 people in the tent.

elray
03-11-2011, 13:39
Hubba Hubba hands down. Sleeps two comfortably with separate doors and vestibules, those two features make it worth its weight in gold. We also use this tent for supported bike rides and it withstands thunderstorms in open stadium settings. I did replace the static fly loop cords with shock cord, it helps keep the fly tight without having to compensate for temp changes. We also own the Mutha Hubba for use when we take along a grandkid. You won't be disappointed.

Bearbag
03-11-2011, 14:23
thanks to everyone for the input. i plan to make my purchase in next few days.

Chubbs4U
03-28-2011, 19:57
So what did you go with?

jbsbestfan
03-28-2011, 23:48
I have been using the BA Seedhouse SL2. But, like Familyguy suggested above, I am using it as a 1+. I am very pleased with the quality, easy set up, etc. If I had ever intended to use it for 2 people, I probably would have gotten a tent with the 2 doors and 2 vestibules. Just do not want my stuff outside with the mice and bugs. I can imagine using the Seedhouse with 2 people for a night or two, but not for a whole week.

bedarda
11-15-2011, 20:29
The Nemo Losi 2P (HumbleOutdoors (http://www.HumbleOutdoors.com) ~$235 with free footprint) has two doors, innovative features and materials, and great wind manors. It about 6 ounces heavier then the Hubba Hubba, but should be a consideration none the less. I have owned one for two seasons on have no regrets.