PDA

View Full Version : Maildrop/Resupply Info (2005)

Jack Tarlin
01-10-2005, 20:16
It's now early January, which means the standard A.T. Guides and Handbooks will be appearing very soon. As soon as they do so, and as soon as I can get my hands on the new editions, I plan to update my article on trail re-supply, which is due for some additions and revisions. (I haven't updated it for some time, as there simply weren't that many significant changes in the Trail for awhile, but I think it's now time to get it more up-to-date).

This information will hopefully be re-written and posted here on Whiteblaze within a few weeks, or as soon as I can get a look at the new Guides/Handbooks and check them out for mistakes or omissions.

If any of you, ESPECIALLY those of you who live in or near a Trail town can think of anything useful or significant, such as a brand-new Trail business or service; an important change in an existing one, or anything else, please let me know. In particular, I'm interested in new hostels or hiker service providers that have started up in the past year.

For those of you who'll be leaving soon, the present version of this article (of which a very great deal is still accurate) can be found in the "Information" section of this website; over the years, I've had some excellent feedback from hikers who found this material useful, both in planning their maildrops (if any), and in helping them get the most out of Trail towns and businesses. With any luck, the updated version of this article for the 2005 thru-hiking year should be the most complete version yet, and I'll try to get it posted here as quickly as I can.

Footslogger
01-10-2005, 20:25
For what it's worth ...Baltimore Jack's Mail Drop/Resupply article is one of the best tools available for planning your hike. It beats scouring one or more of the guide books in order to evaluate your food stops and ideal mail drop locations.

'Slogger
AT 2003

tribes
01-10-2005, 20:38
Thanks Jack for all of your efforts. I look forward to using the info on my hike this spring. I will use a hacked up hybrid of Wingy/ and the Companion this April when I head north. I will add my own notes from WB/TJ/etc before I leave and will bounce the balance of both books ahead every 300 miles or so. We are all still just waiting for your book Jack :D