PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Another Pack Weight Question

Morris
03-10-2011, 22:12
I am 6'4" 300 lbs and currently got pack weight including 2L of water(4.4lbs) and 6.6lbs of food. Makes my pack weight 52lbs.

Unfortunately I do not have a scale that can weigh things in grams or ounces. I was curious if this was an alright weight or not for my size. At ideal weight for large frame and 6'4" is 181-207 and having pack be 1/5 that weight is around 40-45 ideal. So that puts me slightly over using those guidelines.

Thanks all.

And are tent stakes worth taking? Or take only 4 or so for corners and rain-fly or what? Seems like some weight I could rid myself of if I don't need those.

Also is it worth to take the Data Book AND the Thru Hikers guide or just the Thru Hikers guide?

kayak karl
03-10-2011, 22:19
tent stakes are the least of your worries.
that 1/5 ratio is for an ideal weight.
post your gear list.
it will help this thread.

Bags4266
03-10-2011, 22:45
LOL, worried over 4 tent stakes and your 300lbs. Good one. Serious note though is it 300lb athletic build? or 300 lb not? 50 lb pack is heavy for most but your size requires clothes and sleeping bag of a large and more heavy size. As the last post said put up your gear list.

Morris
03-10-2011, 22:50
8gb card
camera
camera battery(x2)
camera case
charger
Ball Cap
bandana
boots
Mittens
nylon gloves
nylon tarp poncho
pants(convertible)
shirt
socks
socks
underwear
winter cap
winter fleece
winter pants
wool socks
Fuel
lighter
Pot
Propane Stove
spoon
waterproof matches
Bandaids
butterfly strips
gauze pads
neosporion
technu
tweezers
chapstick
floss
gold bond
hand sanitizer
toilet paper
tooth brush
tooth paste
flashlight
headlamp
1L water bottle
1L water bottle
3L bladder
cell phone
cell phone charger
cell phone extra battery
journal
pen
Sleeping Bag
sleeping pad
Tent
3 Dry bags
backpack
garbage bag(x2)
extra ziplock bags(1 of 3 different sizes)
50' Nylon Cord
compass
duct tape
guide book
guide book
pocket bible
knife
multitool
needle
thread
walking sticks
watch

I think that it. Like I don't have a ounce or gram scale.

Sierra Echo
03-10-2011, 22:54
Unless you are planning on summiting Mt Everest you don't need all those winter clothes, much less two different pairs of gloves. Exactly WHERE are you going? And if you are planning an attempt on Everest, I want to go!

earlyriser26
03-10-2011, 22:56
Two easy drops: flashlight (you only need the headlamp), If you have a cell phone charger, why do you need the extra battery?

earlyriser26
03-10-2011, 22:58
Also watch, cell phone will work most places as a watch

earlyriser26
03-10-2011, 22:59
Don't really need a compass if you are on the AT.

Morris
03-10-2011, 23:00
Unless you are planning on summiting Mt Everest you don't need all those winter clothes, much less two different pairs of gloves. Exactly WHERE are you going? And if you are planning an attempt on Everest, I want to go!
no lol. Do I not need winter pants? I just have a pair of pants and fleece pullover. Mittens better than gloves I assume?

Sierra Echo
03-10-2011, 23:06
no lol. Do I not need winter pants? I just have a pair of pants and fleece pullover. Mittens better than gloves I assume?

well you never said where you were going! I think gloves are better then mittens.

Morris
03-10-2011, 23:06
well you never said where you were going! I think gloves are better then mittens.
the AT, sorry

Turtle Feet
03-10-2011, 23:10
You can get the KJV Bible on your phone (smartphone)
Personally, I'm taking only the NOBO AT Guide (and only a few pages at a time)
1 Garbage bag
What's a technu?
Compass not necessary
Alcohol stove would be much lighter
Camera case probably not necessary depending on where you're carrying it
Mittens not necessary depending on warmth of gloves
Is winter fleece a top of some sort?
What are 'winter pants'?
No need for flashlight with a headlamp
Drop the gold bond & hand sanitizer

As for the tent stakes, yes, you do need them, but you can buy lightweight titanium ones at www.zpacks.com (http://www.zpacks.com)

See you out there!!!

tf

Morris
03-10-2011, 23:17
Winter fleece just a long sleeve pull over like sweatshirt type thing. For warmth. Winter pants the same. Just for legs. Convertible pants are extremely thin. Just not sure if I "really" need the pants but def would need the shirt to cover arms.

Technu takes away poison ivy etc. I touch it and get it. Not sure if it is a huge issue but growing up in kentucky and living in alabama it everywhere in the woods.

Turtle Feet
03-10-2011, 23:26
You're from FL, lucky guy, but I'm gonna just say that a fleece pullover while maybe warm enough in FL, isn't going to be warm enough on it's own - I'd recommend at least a thin insulation layer that can be added in cold weather. I think the fleece pants are alot of bulk and weight, I'd shoot for silk thermals you could wear under your convertable pants. I didn't see any thermals on the list.

Interesting, never heard o Technu - learn somethin' new every day!

I've got a packing list on my postholer site, you could take a look at some other clothing/layering options...

tf

hobbs
03-10-2011, 23:33
You're from FL, lucky guy, but I'm gonna just say that a fleece pullover while maybe warm enough in FL, isn't going to be warm enough on it's own - I'd recommend at least a thin insulation layer that can be added in cold weather. I think the fleece pants are alot of bulk and weight, I'd shoot for silk thermals you could wear under your convertable pants. I didn't see any thermals on the list.

Interesting, never heard o Technu - learn somethin' new every day!

I've got a packing list on my postholer site, you could take a look at some other clothing/layering options...

tf
Morris I would take TT suggestion about thermals. I live here in Virginia on the trail and hike in a light baselayer thermal and convertable pants. There more than confertible to hike in and stand around in 20 degree weather..I weight a buck 159 wet LOL and your a big guy...;)

Morris
03-10-2011, 23:55
With suggestions I've gotten to 44.6lbs including the 6.6lbs of food and 4.4lbs of water. So 33.3lbs without food/water.

And thanks btw for the help :)

hobbs
03-11-2011, 00:05
With suggestions I've gotten to 44.6lbs including the 6.6lbs of food and 4.4lbs of water. So 33.3lbs without food/water.

And thanks btw for the help :)
You think it's possible to take it down a little more? I think it may make your trip a little more easy and enjoyable..

Morris
03-11-2011, 00:14
You think it's possible to take it down a little more? I think it may make your trip a little more easy and enjoyable..
Yea I'm trying to go through it all over and over and not taking anything I would never use or is not something I need. Problem is stuff like tent are heavy like 4-5lbs. 2 person Marmot Lightweight. 6'4" creates those problems I guess lol. Like do I really need the tarp that comes with the tent? Personally I've never used one before when hiking/camping but been raining like crazy last 2 weeks so wasn't sure. What I've read online is mixed about it.

hobbs
03-11-2011, 00:19
Yea I'm trying to go through it all over and over and not taking anything I would never use or is not something I need. Problem is stuff like tent are heavy like 4-5lbs. 2 person Marmot Lightweight. 6'4" creates those problems I guess lol. Like do I really need the tarp that comes with the tent? Personally I've never used one before when hiking/camping but been raining like crazy last 2 weeks so wasn't sure. What I've read online is mixed about it.
morris are you going with someone? If not have you thought about a Tarptent? I know your 6'4. I know there's a Tarptent Virga it weighs almost 2pds and it's for 1 person. I just saw it on this site..backpackinglight.com it's in the gear swap section. Also saw a Tarptent Contrail for sale also for $175..These both will save you alot of that weight..

Turtle Feet
03-11-2011, 02:14
When are you starting Morris???

Amanita
03-11-2011, 02:24
I think buying a $20-$30 postal scale might save you more weight overall than buying a $200 tent.

It'll help you make decisions about what needs upgrades, what needs to be left behind, and whats "worth it."

The lightest things you carry are the ones you left behind. They're pretty damn cheap, too.

Bags4266
03-11-2011, 10:49
Well the best part is when you figure it out on the trail there's always the post office!!!

vamelungeon
03-11-2011, 11:10
I don't think I would dump the hand sanitizer because you'll need it after you dump, if you know what I mean! Bad hygene after going potty can make you sick.

Bugz
03-11-2011, 12:12
I don't think I would dump the hand sanitizer because you'll need it after you dump, if you know what I mean! Bad hygene after going potty can make you sick.

This. While many people attribute sickness to "must be the water" its more common to get sick on the trail due to poor hygiene than anything else.

Sassafras Lass
03-11-2011, 13:24
:welcome How soon are you starting your hike?

Don't know if this will help you at all, but here is what I'm bringing - my pack before food/H2O is just under 20 lbs:

Backpack
Compactor bag liner

Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad
Sleeping bag liner (some will tell you it's not necessary, I feel it is for the extra warmth as well as keeping my oils/dirt away from my down bag)

Lightweight wool thermal top
Lightweight wool thermal bottom
Heavyweight thermal top
Heavyweight thermal bottom
1 pair shorts
1 short sleeve shirt
1 longsleeve breathable/sun-resistant shirt
1 windshirt
1 down camp jacket
1 pair Dri-Ducks bottoms (wind/rain/snow)
1 Packa (rain jacket/poncho/pack cover) combo
1 pair undies
4 pairs of socks - 1 pair for dry camp socks always
Balaclava
Wool winter hat with ear flaps and visor
Mittens
Gaiters
Speedo water shoes for camp shoes
Hiking boot/shoe

Pepsi can stove
1 windscreen/pot stand
Bottle of alcohol (8 oz, I think)
Firesteel
Titanium spoon (husband has fork)
1 compact Bic lighter
1 titanium cup (holds just over 2 C H2O, I believe)
1L platypus
2 gatorade bottles
Water pump

(I'm a girl, so . . . )
Travel-sized shampoo
Travel-sized conditioner
Dr. Bronner's in small container
Toothbrush w/ sawed off handle
Travel-sized toothpaste
Small container of floss
Lip balm
Combo mirror/brush
Small sponge for bathing/tent condensation

Handful of Band-Aids
A bit of moleskin
20 ft. of duct tape
A couple safety pins
A bit of Neosporin
Ibuprofen
Benadryl
Immodium
Tweezer and nail clippers (if not on your knife)
Alcohol pads

Small journal
Pen
Digital camera
Headlamp
Few extra batteries for headlamp and digital camera
AWOL's 2011 "AT Guide"
Various stuff sacks to hold gear
Leatherman Micra multitool

And that's what I'm bringing - I would have preferred a weight closer to 15 lbs but that would require a lower-weight sleeping bag and backpack, neither of which I'm willing to do, mostly because I'm broke and what I have works well for me :)

Sassafras Lass
03-11-2011, 13:25
Forgot hand sanitizer and TP and deodorant . . . .

Tenderheart
03-11-2011, 13:34
Good luck, Morris!! I hope you do well.

litefoot 2000

Sassafras Lass
03-11-2011, 13:37
Last year when we first started planning our AT hike, we ordered both the Data Book and the Thru-Hiker's Companion. Last month I compiled a tentative resupply sheet from the info in the Companion, and lo and behold when we got our AT Guide, he already had all the information I wanted laid out in an extremely easy-to-read format!

So we're just bringing the Guide and I'm making additional notes concerning historic sites along the trail that the Guide unfortunately leaves out. Not a deal-breaker for me, as I can just supplement.

Tenderheart
03-11-2011, 13:44
Morris, I just had a thought. Why don't you search for a gear list on this site that has been posted by a former thru hiker. I'll bet that would help. I just see you guys carrying so, so many things that I don't carry. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just that you can easily have a 70lb. backpack full of ultralite stuff. Personally, I hate keeping up with all the stuff, not to mention the weight. If you want to learn what to carry on a NOBO thru hike, go to Maine for your interview, not Georgia.

litefoot 2000

kayak karl
03-11-2011, 13:51
Last year when we first started planning our AT hike, we ordered both the Data Book and the Thru-Hiker's Companion. Last month I compiled a tentative resupply sheet from the info in the Companion, and lo and behold when we got our AT Guide, he already had all the information I wanted laid out in an extremely easy-to-read format!

So we're just bringing the Guide and I'm making additional notes concerning historic sites along the trail that the Guide unfortunately leaves out. Not a deal-breaker for me, as I can just supplement.

friend of JAK :D

Bags4266
03-11-2011, 15:15
Let's not forget one major thing here. The guy tips in at a biscut under 300 lbs. His pack will never be light compared to others. His clothes are almost double in weight due to the size of a XXXL . His sleeping bag probally is very heavy as well. Then he needs a large heavy pack to hold this stuff, getting him down to a 20lb base would be very tough.

Morris
03-11-2011, 15:21
Thanks all. Yea lightfoot I have been looking at lists for a long time. I believe mainly my tent seems heavy. I took off unneeded pieces and stuff like the tarp etc to drastically lower the amount of weight. Down to 29lbs and some change without food or water. Doesn't seem terribly bad. I got hold of a scale and weighed everything. Only other thing that seems terribly heavy is digital camera but I'm willing to take that weight for what it gives.

Sassafras Lass
03-11-2011, 15:21
friend of JAK :D

:confused: I'm guessing he contributed/wrote the Companion?

Morris
03-11-2011, 15:24
Let's not forget one major thing here. The guy tips in at a biscut under 300 lbs. His pack will never be light compared to others. His clothes are almost double in weight due to the size of a XXXL . His sleeping bag probally is very heavy as well. Then he needs a large heavy pack to hold this stuff, getting him down to a 20lb base would be very tough.
XXL shirts and sleeping bag only 1.7lbs. Tent what killed me with my size as one person tent was tiny. But yea pack is an Osprey Eather 60L like 5lbs I think. I'm pretty happy with 30lb base. Doesn't seem bad at all when I've hiked with 35lbs or so.

mountain squid
03-11-2011, 15:40
Looking at your list without weights posted makes me think that some of your main items are heavy, ie sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tent, backpack, stove, pot, etc. Obviously the best way to reduce their weight is to purchase lighter items. Some alternatives have already been given.

Some observations:
knife or multi tool - if it is a big Rambo type knife leave it home
consider an alcohol stove - check out antigravitygear (http://www.antigravitygear.com/)
does your tent have a rain fly in addition to your tarp poncho?
if poncho is main rain gear, definitely need that as well as tent rain fly

Concur:
only one light source needed
definitely keep hand sanitizer
any long underwear? - long underwear pants might take the place of winter pants - and be lighter

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14493)

Snowleopard
03-11-2011, 18:58
Like do I really need the tarp that comes with the tent? Personally I've never used one before when hiking/camping but been raining like crazy last 2 weeks so wasn't sure. What I've read online is mixed about it.
It depends on what you mean by tarp.
Probably your tent is a double wall tent, an inner tent that is breathable but NOT waterproof and a waterproof fly that goes over it. You definitely need the fly or you'll get soaked in any rain. Some people carry what's called a footprint, a piece of nylon that goes underneath the tent; you do not need the footprint. Any additional tarp is not needed.

Why don't you post the exact model of tent, stove, backpack, and sleeping bag and pad. Often places like campmor, EMS or REI list their weights. OK, to start, pack = Osprey Aether (5 lb 1 oz).

Morris
03-11-2011, 20:44
It depends on what you mean by tarp.
Probably your tent is a double wall tent, an inner tent that is breathable but NOT waterproof and a waterproof fly that goes over it. You definitely need the fly or you'll get soaked in any rain. Some people carry what's called a footprint, a piece of nylon that goes underneath the tent; you do not need the footprint. Any additional tarp is not needed.

Why don't you post the exact model of tent, stove, backpack, and sleeping bag and pad. Often places like campmor, EMS or REI list their weights. OK, to start, pack = Osprey Aether (5 lb 1 oz).
yea footprint what i meant. Seems pointless, old tent doesnt even come with one. Tent is a Marmot Limelight 2 Person. Propane Stove is a Coleman weights 6.5 oz. Sleeping bag is a mountain western or something. Had it for 6+ years has been amazing. Weighs 1.7lbs says on tag. Sleeping pad is a Thermarest Trail Large. Didn't go proLite cause difference in price between large sizes of two brands was 50 bucks and difference of roughly a pound in weight.

I may be way off but 29lbs 10 oz before water/food I'm pretty happy with being a big guy and needing larger gear.

Tenderheart
03-12-2011, 15:22
Morris, let me just add to your confusion. Have you considered a tarp only for a shelter? What I mean by this is an 8x10 silicone impregnated tarp, such as made by Integral Designs. Mine weighs 15 ounces with 5 stakes and guys. This would reduce your base weight by probably 4 pounds. And as for room, you can easily sleep three people under it. If you are careful with site selection, you will stay drier under it than in a tent. No fooling. You erect it with either trekking poles or sticks found in the woods.

litefoot 2000

Sassafras Lass
03-12-2011, 16:01
Have you considered a tarp only for a shelter?

How do you keep mosquitoes from eating you?

Tenderheart
03-12-2011, 16:40

Bugs do go to sleep when it gets dark. You have no protection in a shelter.

litefoot 2000

mountain squid
03-12-2011, 18:05
Bugs do go to sleep when it gets dark.
:confused:What?!?! Where? in Antartica? I have no idea of the nocturnal habits of insects, maybe they do go to sleep in the dark, I don't know . . . I have spent more than one night battling mosquitoes, however . . .

But, I do also concur that AT Shelters provide no protection.

A tent, however, provides a very effective barrier against the pesky dive-bombers.

Anyone considering using a tarp, I would highly suggest also having a bug net to drape over you - not just a head net. They might not stick you with a head net, but the incessant buzzing might drive you nuts . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Bags4266
03-12-2011, 18:38
They go to sleep after milk and cookies...Duh, winning!!!

fernbeetle
03-12-2011, 18:48
if you are serious about losing oz.'s then use lithium batteries, they weigh much less, cost more but last longer. Perfect for the trail.

Morris
03-13-2011, 01:21
They go to sleep after milk and cookies...Duh, winning!!!
lol

Yea I'm gonna play that by ear with using a tarp. Thought about it and if it is a huge deal on the trail I'll send home the tent. Can the bugs really be worse than Florida swamps anyways?

Sassafras Lass
03-13-2011, 16:26
:confused:What?!?! Where? in Antartica? I have no idea of the nocturnal habits of insects, maybe they do go to sleep in the dark, I don't know . . . I have spent more than one night battling mosquitoes, however . . .

But, I do also concur that AT Shelters provide no protection.

A tent, however, provides a very effective barrier against the pesky dive-bombers.

Anyone considering using a tarp, I would highly suggest also having a bug net to drape over you - not just a head net. They might not stick you with a head net, but the incessant buzzing might drive you nuts . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Absolutely. I've always used a tent for camping and while hiking the Smokies have of course used shelters, but in the park in general, especially at higher elevations, I've encountered mosquitoes so few times I could count them on both hands.

If you're camping where it's buggy, you need protection of some sort - what do tarp users do then? Carry some kind of bug netting? That's more weight - what if it's late June-August and so sticky hot that you can't fathom keeping yourself deep in a sleeping bag? Get bitten all night or carry more amounts of bug netting? The weight creeps up.

Why not then just get a super lightweight tent/tarptent?

Tenderheart
03-13-2011, 19:11
OK, OK!! But I'm still going to take my tarp and maybe not camp in buggy places. Is that a plan? Worked in 2000 for 129 nights on the trail. Bugs do go to sleep when it gets dark.

litefoot 2000

blitz1
03-14-2011, 05:56
From everything I understand and have experienced, the bugs shouldn't be a problem in the south AT, so if you're NoBo, could start with the tarp only, then switch to tent in around Mass. By then you'll be in shape to not mind the extra weight.

Tenderheart
03-14-2011, 08:23
From everything I understand and have experienced, the bugs shouldn't be a problem in the south AT, so if you're NoBo, could start with the tarp only, then switch to tent in around Mass. By then you'll be in shape to not mind the extra weight.

Bugs aren't a real problem at night anywhere on the AT. Mosquitos stay near standing water and there is very little standing water in the Appalachian Mountains. Black flies are mainly in the North and are a problem with SOBO's. Their reign of terrror is mainly from Mother's Day to Father's Day. They are long gone when NOBO's reach the northern states.

litefoot 2000

Fog Horn
03-14-2011, 09:34
Have you done a shake down hike with everything you have on your list? Take a long weekend and go try everything out. Its easy to have people tell you that they aren't taking this or that, but this is what works for them and might not work for you.

Also, sporting goods stores and outfitters have tent stakes that are titanium. Mine cost 84 cents each and weigh almost nothing. I'd rather have stakes and not need them, at that cost and weight, than not have them when I do need them. You might think you'll weigh your tent down on your own, but with the wind and inclimate weather you might encounter, I think its better safe than sorry.

blitz1
03-14-2011, 10:10
Bugs aren't a real problem at night anywhere on the AT. Mosquitos stay near standing water and there is very little standing water in the Appalachian Mountains. Black flies are mainly in the North and are a problem with SOBO's. Their reign of terrror is mainly from Mother's Day to Father's Day. They are long gone when NOBO's reach the northern states.

litefoot 2000
North of Mass there are plenty of mosquitoes along many parts of the AT into July and early August, especially further up in Maine where there are many bogs, but if you hit this region in late August or later they won't bother you much if at all.
Most of the shelters are sited away from the worst areas, but you have to expect to get a few bites, depending on how tasty you smell to them. And when you're on ridges or up high, the bugs aren't a bother even in the spring - it's in the valleys they eat you alive.

booney_1
03-14-2011, 14:35
I've never thru-hiked, but I've done a lot of section hikes in NC and Virginia(up to Grayson Highlands). I've often done these in the summer, and usually have slept under tarps. We've never had a bug problem. It can get quite warm...however.

There is no mosquito or bug problem in the summer, so i'm pretty sure that March through May would be bug free.

I'm much more concerned with ticks, but you usually get them when you are hiking.

On Tech-nu...I've heard it's great for poison ivy, but I'd leave it at home and then buy some when you first see it, perhaps in late May. You won't need it for a while. I'm sensitive to poison Ivy also, but I know what it looks like and am very careful if I need to walk near it. You are at most risk when going for water or "seeing a man about a dog" in the woods.

Tenderheart
03-14-2011, 15:22
I'm sensitive to poison Ivy also, but I know what it looks like and am very careful if I need to walk near it. You are at most risk when going for water or "seeing a man about a dog" in the woods.

I hiked with a guy from Arizona in 2000 who went to "see a man about a dog" in a veritable field of poison ivy and even used the leaves for cleaning. He either couldn't identify the plant or didn't know about it. He was a miserable puppy for a while. I really felt sorry for him.

litefoot 2000

mountain squid
03-14-2011, 17:25
Well, anyone reading this thread who is tarping and decides not to carry some protection from mosquitoes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito) during the summer, regardless of where you are at – Good . . . Luck. If you forget some milk and cookies to offer. . . maybe you will get lucky and have some bats roosting nearby . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Tenderheart
03-14-2011, 18:21
Well, anyone reading this thread who is tarping and decides not to carry some protection from mosquitoes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito) during the summer, regardless of where you are at – Good . . . Luck. If you forget some milk and cookies to offer. . . maybe you will get lucky and have some bats roosting nearby . . .

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Bugs don't eat milk and cookies. Everybody knows they're lacto-ovo.

litefoot 2000