PDA

View Full Version : Need help with clothing selection

WaitingInTheWeeds
03-11-2011, 05:04
Tried to use the search button there's just too much info on this topic to sort through it all, plus much of it is unique to individuals.

I will be starting my nobo thru on 4/16/11. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts I had virtually no gear to start out with. Over the last couple weeks I've aquired some of the more major items (tent, bag, pack, etc), but I still have a long way to go when it comes to clothing. I would really appreciate some advice on this subject. Budget is a big concern since I spent a good deal on the other items. Weight isn't too much of a big deal when it comes to clothing. Finally I'd like to find most of this stuff at a store and avoid ordering online (I want to be able to try stuff on) so some advice on where to buy would be great (sorry can't shop at Walmart; all their clothing is made for larger people and is always too big for me). Here is what I would like to bring:

Socks - 3 Pair - *Already know I'm bringing smartwool socks; no issues here

Pants - 1 pair - NOT the zip off type (I don't like them and I'll take the weight penalty for bringing shorts too) - I know I need to get non-cotton pants, but I don't really want to spend more than about $35/$40 if I can help it. Suggestions???

Shorts - 1 pair - Will be the same material as the pants

NO RAIN PANTS (don't need em)

Synthentic boxer briefs - 2 pair - *Already have these; no issues here

Base layer pant - 1 pair- *Already have a pair (Paradox brand from Costco)

Some kind of hiking shirt - 1 shirt - Low cost, but comfortable. Would prefer a long sleeve that I can roll up and button to make a short sleeve. Material?? Suggestions??

A t-shirt to sleep in - 1 shirt - Will probably bring a regular cotton (gasp!) t-shirt just to sleep in/wear during laundry; unless someone has a better idea

A base layer LS shirt - 1 shirt - *Already have this; same brand as base layer bottom

A fleece windstopper jacket - Suggestions on where to find one at a good price; they seem to be a bit expensive

A down jacket/vest - Saw this listed several times as recommended...but if I have the fleece jacket, a base layer, and my LS hiking shirt, would I really need something like this? What about when I get to Maine in October?

Rainjacket - Just gonna buy a cheap lighweight rain jacket w/ ventilation for the armpits *shouldn't have any trouble finding this one

Winter hat & gloves - *already have these

Baseball cap - (I prefer them over bandanas and already have one)

Am I missing anything? Looks like I mostly just need suggestions for just the pants/shorts, mid layer hiking shirt, and top layer jacket(s); however, feel free to comment on anything listed.

Mountain Wildman
03-11-2011, 07:35
If budget is a concern, You may want to check your local Walmart, They carry the Starter brand Track pants, Shorts and Shirts in a wicking material, They are fairly inexpensive, Or you could check Goodwill and search their clothing area for deals but Walmart may be easier. For October in Maine you may want a good insulation layer but the temps will depend on what kind of year it is for weather, Here in the White Mountains it was not real cold this past October but I never made it up any real elevation so I not sure there, Maine was probably a bit cooler.
Railriders has their Madison River Shirt in the Stone Blue color on sale for $49.00 and it is top quality with the roll up button tab sleeves like you mentioned. I just got one in yesterday. Really nice
http://www.railriders.com/men-madison-river-shirt-with-insect-shield-p-881.html?cPath=104_111

Sierra Trading Post also has some good deals on similar shirts by Columbia: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?Ne=9900000&anyWords=&N=9400186+9900330&allWords=&exactPhrase=&allAnyWords=&searchWithin=
and other brands as well.

Camping Dave
03-11-2011, 08:23
Shop at the local Big Box Mart store, whatever variety you have nearby, if cost is that big a concern. Almost assuredly several posters will recommend pants/shirts/jackets exceeding $100. Ignore them

You don't need a button-sleeve shirt to roll up your cuffs. But, since you asked, I have a Columbia and love it.

TruSpec BDUs are great hiking pants: roomy, comfortable, nonabrasive, big pockets, tough material, built in belt. You can get them here for about $25: http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/product/product_id/1451/product_name/Basic+BDU+Pant

WaitingInTheWeeds
03-13-2011, 04:32
Ugh...after long, grueling searches on both the web and in the car, I've finally beefed up my clothing list (and lightened my wallet considerably). It is EXTREMELY difficult to find clothes my size (have any of these manufacturers ever heard of a SMALL before!??) Here is my clothing gear list. Let me know if you would add or subtract anything.

IN PACK (Unless needed for cold/rain/sleep/laundry)
- Driduck Rain Jacket
- 2 Pair Smartwool Socks
- Nike Pro Combat Dri Fit T-shirt
- 1 Pair C9 Underwear
- Gander Mountain 100% Poly Lightweight Fleece
(I wanted to use a button up shirt so I could roll up the sleeves, but I literally only found 1 XS long sleeve shirt online and it was $75 :eek: )
- Winter Hat
- Light Fleece Gloves
- Under Armour Fleece-lined Wind Jacket
- Generic 100% Poly Gym Shorts
- Mosquito Headnet
- Lightweight Pardox Long Underwear (top & bottom)

WORN
- New Balance 572 AT Shoes
- 1 Pair Smartwool Socks
- C9 Duo Dry T-shirt
- 1 Pair C-9 Underwear
- Baseball Hat
- Eddie Bauer Travex Convertible Pant

Maybe your thinking I have too many layers; however at 5'7' and 105lbs I get cold very easily and would rather be a little over prepared...besides I can always send something home after a certain point on the trail.

TheYoungOne
03-15-2011, 13:45
Check the clearence rack at sproting goods stores, and believe it or not department stores like Macy's and JcPenney's.

Macy's and JCPenney's actually carries Columbia clothing and they have no clue on hiking season. They have all their long sleeve shirts and pants on sale right now. I bought a Coulmbia nylon long sleeve "titanium" hiking shirt in Macy's for $7. I seen nylon hiking pants but not in my size.

Also check Goodwill like others have mentioned.