PDA

View Full Version : 4 1/2 inches of rain

Wise Old Owl
03-11-2011, 10:07
As the storm passed and heads up to NH, I walk out to the car where I put a large water glass before the storm. It filled the glass with 4 1/2 inches here in Paoli, PA. Which means the trail is going to be very muddy this weekend here in the Northeast. This storm dropped rain from the coast to the middle of Columbus Ohio, and from Georgia to Maine.

Over on the Susquehanna the Powerplants have 12 spill gates open, something we haven't done since the last hurricane. The creeks & rivers are so saturated widespread flooding will occur.

I cannot imagine any more rain this weekend.

So get out your poles and gaiters, break a leg! :D

Slo-go'en
03-11-2011, 12:42
Wow, thats a lot of rain. Looks like we might have missed most of it here in Northern NH, with the storm tracking well west of here. Just a little slush in the driveway this morning. But we still have 3 feet of snow on the ground here at 1600 feet and just gets deeper as you climb higher.

Wise Old Owl
03-11-2011, 20:13
So I am wondering who will be going out on the trail tommorrow?

Graywolf
03-11-2011, 20:20
The way I see it, That takes care of the water problem..

jerseydave
03-11-2011, 20:25

We were gonna shoot up and do another piece on Sunday, but have decided to put it off till mid week so we don't have to bring our water wings for the stream crossings.

weary
03-11-2011, 20:35
Well, I won't be on the AT. But I will be checking our town land trust's 200 feet of bog bridging over a slow moving stream. Last year about this time our 8 foot bridging segments washed down stream. I've been planning since July to anchor them. But you know that devil -- procrastination.

10-K
03-11-2011, 20:41
I'm way down south but I've wrestled a commitment out of the wife to do a 10 mile loop tomorrow which includes about 3 miles of the AT....

Fork Ridge Trail -> AT -> Jerry Miller Trail.

We were supposed to hike to Hot Springs but <gasp!> there was some snow on the ground.

Wise Old Owl
03-11-2011, 20:46
We were gonna shoot up and do another piece on Sunday, but have decided to put it off till mid week so we don't have to bring our water wings for the stream crossings.

yesterday I was in Berks/Montgomery and saw the flooding first hand, Channel 10's "Trust the bowtie" is eating cow today, nothing happened. Stream crossings are easy in 24 hours. I am not sure what happened but the flooding just covered the flood plains, never really crested.

Wise Old Owl
03-11-2011, 20:48
I'm way down south but I've wrestled a commitment out of the wife to do a 10 mile loop tomorrow which includes about 3 miles of the AT....

Fork Ridge Trail -> AT -> Jerry Miller Trail.

We were supposed to hike to Hot Springs but <gasp!> there was some snow on the ground.

Snow? You must be kidding.

emerald
03-12-2011, 01:48
So, I am wondering who will be going out on the trail tomorrow?

I'm expecting a good day for ducks!:)

KillerKowalski
03-12-2011, 01:51
Duck season is closed here months ago.

emerald
03-12-2011, 01:54
I was only planning on counting them. It's legal to count them when on public property most of the time nearly everywhere.

Berks or maybe rather Lebanon or Lancaster Counties are the place to be to count them this weekend.

Thatguy
03-12-2011, 09:32
Duck season is closed here months ago.

How about rabbit season?

Options
03-12-2011, 22:47
Could still the "snow caps" on the mountains this morning from Lenoir, NC. Still plan on being out tomorrow, somewhere north of Asheville, NC, with the "Trail Boss". At least that what she says ;)

Options
03-12-2011, 22:49
Ok Ok need to proofred: SEE :D

Could still the "snow caps" on the mountains this morning from Lenoir, NC. Still plan on being out tomorrow, somewhere north of Asheville, NC, with the "Trail Boss". At least that what she says ;)

Chubbs4U
03-12-2011, 23:21
yeah I didnt do the cup trick but I bet I got close to that. I thought it was "bad etiquette" to go stomping on the trails after a rain like that.

Pedaling Fool
03-13-2011, 08:53
The way I see it, That takes care of the water problem..
Not everywhere. http://drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html