PDA

View Full Version : the dreaded acne...

ginkgo
03-11-2011, 17:55
Ok. This is possibly (probably) a stupid question, and I'm generally expecting the response to be along the lines of "suck it up" and "it doesn't matter".... But I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
I'm 19, and still have rather aggressive acne. At home I can keep it at bay pretty well, washing my face with oil-free soap, and using salicylic acid creams and stuff. But I don't want to bring all that on the trail-- it's extra weight, and all those chemicals can't be good for the earth.
So I was wondering... What do you do to keep your face clean and prevent pores from clogging? Is it a lost cause? Any tips?
Thanks so much!!

mmais68569
03-11-2011, 18:13
Suck it up no one will care.

Mr. Mean

RGB
03-11-2011, 18:17
Mine usually flares up a little bit. Especially on my shoulders underneath my pack straps. The above poster is correct in that no one will care. Everyone's just happy to be out there! Dr. Bronner's soaps usually keep me oil-free and they are perfectly biodegradable.

rjjones
03-11-2011, 23:15
I wonder if you could bring medicated wipes or some type of towellett with a medicated base?Even though no one will care,if your like me,you'll care.Plus it will make you feel a little cleaner.

TFOS
03-11-2011, 23:22
Wash your face with castor oil. It's what I use all the time, and it cleared up my problem skin in just over a week - haven't had a blemish since. Google "oil cleansing method" if you want to learn more about it (or PM me, I'm always happy to help). Best part - it's natural and safe for your skin and the earth. You barely use any oil on each wash, so it won't add much to your pack weight.

crazystick
03-12-2011, 11:05
Wash your face with castor oil. It's what I use all the time, and it cleared up my problem skin in just over a week - haven't had a blemish since. Google "oil cleansing method" if you want to learn more about it (or PM me, I'm always happy to help). Best part - it's natural and safe for your skin and the earth. You barely use any oil on each wash, so it won't add much to your pack weight.

Thank you! I looked this up and researched into it, it seems very counter-intuitive to put oil on the skin but alot of credible doctors are now saying to use this method it seems.
I will be trying this!

goldenhands
03-23-2011, 23:02
I won't go hiking without clearasil daily cleansing wipes. they're little circles that are scrubby and have a salicylic acid solution in them. so they exfoliate all the gunk and dead skin! no suds to wash off.

i got hooked on them for outdoor trips while i was in basic training. they're about $5 at walgreens.

lmattson
03-26-2011, 09:38
Thanks for the castor oil suggestion. I'm buying some for my son today. They wanted to put him on Accutane. However, the use of Accutane disqualifies you for service in the Navy. So now we're going to try this.

Invictus Maneo
03-31-2011, 12:23
I'm sympathetic! I agress with the others who have suggested the clearasil pads, stridex or whatever. Not too sure about the castor oil approach, although hey if it works...
I know that out there on the Trail, no one cares, no one looks, etc etc... but I know it when I have a pimple and I feel like that's all people see.
But I do find, that when hiking, since I drink a lot more water my skin stays a little clearer.

Also, off the Trail, I have found that salicylic acid isn't all it's cracked up to be. You need to find something with benzolate (sp?) peroxide 10%. This is nasty stuff, so use it sparingly!! Hope this helps. Acne sucks.

ShelterLeopard
03-31-2011, 14:28
Ok. This is possibly (probably) a stupid question, and I'm generally expecting the response to be along the lines of "suck it up" and "it doesn't matter".... But I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
I'm 19, and still have rather aggressive acne. At home I can keep it at bay pretty well, washing my face with oil-free soap, and using salicylic acid creams and stuff. But I don't want to bring all that on the trail-- it's extra weight, and all those chemicals can't be good for the earth.
So I was wondering... What do you do to keep your face clean and prevent pores from clogging? Is it a lost cause? Any tips?
Thanks so much!!

Your body chemistry will change on trail- it may even clear up your acne naturally. You eat differently, are in the open all the time, and are working out constantly. And probably a lot more relaxed.

PS- No one will care.