PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Gear List - Any advice?

JokerJersey
03-11-2011, 19:31
I'm heading out for Springer on April 1st. Hoping to make it to Maine. I have the time, I have the funds, and I have the desire. Hopefully I can maintain all 3 to Katahdin.

These are my final selections for gear. Some of the choices I have specific reasons for which I'll list at the end. Any comments or suggestions are much appreciated!!

Pack - Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian
Pack Cover - Granite Gear Cloud Cover
Water - 2 1L Gatorade Bottles
Bags - 15 degree Big Agnes Encampment
Sleeping Pad - BA Insulated Inflatable w/ repair kit
Stove - MSR Pocket Rocket
Fuel - Cannister
Cookset - GSI Halulite Ketalist (Bowl/Cup removed)
Poles - Black Diamond TrailShock Compact Collapsible w/ 3' duct tape wrap
Rain jacket - Marmot Oracle
Windbreaker - GoLite Wisp
Thermals - Lightweight REI Thermal tops and bottoms + Midweight REI Thermal Top
Gloves - MHW Fleece
Hat - MHW Goretex Windstopper Fleece Beanie
Pants - REI zip-off convertible pants
Shorts - Saloman Running Shorts
Underwear - 1 pair Wallyworld wicking boxer briefs
Shirts - 2 MHW Wicking T's
Socks - 3 pair - 2 heavy / 1 midweight hiking - Thorlos/Smartwool
Tent - MSR Hubba Hubba
Stuff sacks - 3 waterproof Wallyworld tri-color
Headlamp - Petzl Tikka Plus
Shoes - New Balance Cross Trainers
Jacket - REI Windbreak Thermal Fleece
Purifier - Katahdin Hiker Pro pump

Assorted stuff - MP3 Player/headphones - Small spiral notepad / pencil - Camera - Cell - Power Cords - First Aid (6 band-aids, ointment, moleskin, scissors, tweezers) - Hygeine stuff (clippers, toothbrush/paste, campsoap) - 2 bandanas - Small swiss army knife - AAA batteries - tent repair kit - couple of Ziplocs

Onto the reasons why I chose some of these.

First, why do I have the 2 person Hubba Hubba instead of the 1 person Hubba? - I'm claustrophobic so I prefer the extra space. I like being able to bring my gear inside and spread out a bit. Plus I have friends coming out to visit me on the Trail and I'd like to have extra room for them. Plus, I snore like someone cross cutting logs with a ripsaw. It's better for all involved! :D

Second, the BA Encampment 15 degree - I know, it's heavy. But again, mummy bags make me freak out at night. This has enough room so I can sleep comfortably in my normal position. I have a 45 degree I'm planning on swapping out to ASAP.

I also have a regular BA inflatable pad ready to be swapped out with the insulated one once it gets a little warmer. It's quite a bit lighter and not as bulky.

With those things in mind, what do you think? Anything I should ditch? I know it's HYOH and all that, but any input from those who have been there would be awesome! Thanks all! :sun

BrianLe
03-11-2011, 19:50
It would help a lot if you gave weights for the various items and a total base weight.

Even given that you prefer a roomy tent, you can likely get something a lot lighter; my Contrail is quite roomy for a solo tent and weighs 26 oz (including 4 stakes).

Consider Aqua Mira or some other chemical treatment rather than a heavy filter (and note that the true weight of a filter should probably be right after it's been used, i.e., "put away wet").

Jacket: I'm not sure what a "windbreak fleece" is, but FWIW I really prefer to separate shell and insulation functions into different apparel. Since you're also carrying a wind shirt and a rain jacket however, I presume this is your insulation layer. If your rain jacket is light enough you might consider doing without a separate windshirt, though they can indeed be nice. FWIW, for an in-camp-only insulation layer, something very light made of down can be a nice choice to save a few more ounces.

I'd drop the tent repair kit --- duct tape, available shelters, and lots of roads and civilization around should anything go wrong. Ditto clippers --- use that tiny pocket knife or borrow something at a hostel or the like.
Unless you plan to night hike you can likely save an ounce or two with a lighter head lamp, FWIW.

Tough to comment much more without weights provided. On the whole it's clear that you've thought about all of this, and certainly good that you're prepared to swap for a lighter bag and pad when it's clear that you'll be warm enough. If nothing else, bring extra cash and do the gear shakedown at Neel's Gap.

Best of luck!

JokerJersey
03-11-2011, 20:10
Yeah, I've thought about other options with the tent, I know it's a bit heavy and hopefully I can trade it out if I need to at an REI. I've used it quite a bit already and like the side entrances.

Aqua Mira is something I've thought about too. I looked at those UV penlights as well, but I've heard mixed reviews. How long do you have to let Aqua Mira sit for? Is it comparable to Iodine tablets where you have to wait X amt of time before drinking? This will just be one of those up in the air things. Maybe I'll keep it, maybe I won't.

The jacket I'm talking about is tri-layered. It's basically a windbreaker sandwiched between 2 layers of fleece. Planning on layering that with the rainjacket instead of a puffy down. I've worn the jacket with the midweight thermal in breezy conditions down to 20 degrees and been completely warm.

I was thinking about bouncing the windbreaker up the trail a bit until I didn't need the fleece anymore, but I'd like to keep a decent comfort range with me until I see what Trail conditions are like.

Thanks for the suggestion on the repair kit. I was kinda up in the air about that. It was one of those things I took out and then put back in.

I don't have a hanging scale anywhere around here unfortunately. I know I could take it to the post office and have them weigh it but I just haven't gotten around to it. I did a normal scale weight with it and it came out to a total of 26-28 pounds. As for individual weights, I'll get on that!

Jersey Tim
03-11-2011, 21:09
You might consider switching out a bandanna for half a Wallyworld car chamois. Cheap and useful. They soak up a ridiculous amount of water for their size and dry almost completely with one good wring. Also good for regular bandanna stuff, like wiping sweat and moving hot pots.

bflorac
03-12-2011, 01:47
Cookset - GSI Halulite Ketalist (Bowl/Cup removed)
Seems that there are different versions this but you need stove, 1 pot/cup to cook in, 1 plastic spork. Nothing more.

I bring a little salt/pepper shaker to spice things up a bit.

TP of some sort unless you are going "all natural".

Well I one who usually hangs my food. If you are too, make sure you can use one of your stuff sacks as a food bag. On that note, I would normally toss in some parachute cord to hang my bag with.

Perhaps you don't need them because you are using trail runners but I bring a cheap (I mean really cheap) pair of flip flops for camp use. May not need or want these till it gets warmer.

If you attach a cheap/light inline pastic gas line filter (new!) to the intake of your Katahdin you can extend the life of it. Cost nothing/weighs nothing

Otherwise, have fun!

Personally, I roll the duct tape on a small stick and put it my pack. It just gets in the way on the poles and I don't need it often.

While you have a pack cover, you might also want to toss in 1 large garbage back to stuff all you gear in when you expect it to rain all day or if you have to hang your back outside.

Ear plugs (other campers snoring)

Underwear
I know others would not agree but I bring 2 pair so I can usually have a dry pair to put on in the AM if it rains the day before.

JokerJersey
03-12-2011, 01:49
You might consider switching out a bandanna for half a Wallyworld car chamois. Cheap and useful. They soak up a ridiculous amount of water for their size and dry almost completely with one good wring. Also good for regular bandanna stuff, like wiping sweat and moving hot pots.

Thanks! I think I have one of those laying around somewhere that I can salvage for that.

JokerJersey
03-12-2011, 01:56
Seems that there are different versions this but you need stove, 1 pot/cup to cook in, 1 plastic spork. Nothing more.

I bring a little salt/pepper shaker to spice things up a bit.

TP of some sort unless you are going "all natural".

Well I one who usually hangs my food. If you are too, make sure you can use one of your stuff sacks as a food bag. On that note, I would normally toss in some parachute cord to hang my bag with.

Perhaps you don't need them because you are using trail runners but I bring a cheap (I mean really cheap) pair of flip flops for camp use. May not need or want these till it gets warmer.

If you attach a cheap/light inline pastic gas line filter (new!) to the intake of your Katahdin you can extend the life of it. Cost nothing/weighs nothing

Otherwise, have fun!

Personally, I roll the duct tape on a small stick and put it my pack. It just gets in the way on the poles and I don't need it often.

While you have a pack cover, you might also want to toss in 1 large garbage back to stuff all you gear in when you expect it to rain all day or if you have to hang your back outside.

Ear plugs (other campers snoring)

I know others would not agree but I bring 2 pair so I can usually have a dry pair to put on in the AM if it rains the day before.

Yeah, the cookset comes with a nestled bowl and insulated cup with lid that I already took out and tossed. It has a "folding" spork with it. Also, I've been snagging condiments from stores for awhile, so I have some stuff tucked aside for flavoring.

I suppose I just forgot to list the TP, I do have a roll (sans roll), in my hygiene bag.

A few friends who did the trail last year suggested crocs or camp flips for later, so I might pick those up in Damascus.

I'm still up in the air on the filter, so if I'm still packing it by Trail Days, I'll ask the rep there to show me one of those new attachments.

I have paracord too, just another of those things I forgot to list.

Trash bag! Like a leaf bag or not that heavy duty?

WILLIAM HAYES
03-12-2011, 05:12
your pack list looks good only a couple of suggestions
go with an alcohol stove lighter and less trouble I use a tea light stove with a built in pot rest that I made check out Jason Klass's website on how to build one it took me less than 10 minutes to make it I have used it for hundred of miles and it has a great burn time plus it weighs practically nothing you can add some fiberglass insulation in the tea light for an even better burn time
good choice on the pack I use the same one
I understand personal choice but you really dont need a two person tent or a heavy pad your gear should fit in the one person hubba without a problem look at a Z-rest pad
other than these suggestions your pack list looks like it has been well thought out
hillbilly

BrianLe
03-12-2011, 13:45
“Yeah, I've thought about other options with the tent, I know it's a bit heavy and hopefully I can trade it out if I need to at an REI”

REI has gotten much better about packs and sleeping bags, but I’ve yet to see a reasonably lightweight tent at REI, FWIW. Also note that I don’t recall hearing of an REI store anywhere along the AT, though of course there are outfitters, just not always terribly good selection and the lightest options aren’t always there. You might find something at Neel’s Gap, dunno.

Aqua Mira sit time: 15 minutes if the water isn’t murky, but they also say that temperature is a factor, so everyone uses their own rules of thumb. I usually shoot for 30 minutes. Lots of nice looking water along the AT.

“I did a normal scale weight with it and it came out to a total of 26-28 pounds.”

Is that without food, water, or fuel, or is it more like a total pack weight? 26 – 28 pounds strikes me as quite heavy if that’s base weight for an April 1st start. I started last year in late Feb and my base weight was about 17 pounds; dropped to 13.5 pounds or so at Pearisburg.

DawgU
03-30-2011, 07:48
I you must have a true two man tent the big agnes fly creek UL weighs half as much as the Hubba Hubba.

A good poncho could replace the raincoat and pack cover.

For your shirts I would look at some Icebreaker wool T's. They won't smell anywhere near as bad.

I have a Caldera Cone alcohol stove. You can pick one to match most of the popular pots out there. Love it.

The Steripen would save a considerable amount

Feathered Friends makes different widths of nice bags so you can find one that works and weighs less

As usual it all comes down to budgets and what you are willing to do without. I start by weighing everything, putting it on a spreadsheet, calculating the weight savings of the alternative, dividing it by the price to determine the cost per ounce saved. It's an easy way to prioritize, and you will get to a point where you say for that much money I'll just loose a couple of pounds of fat!

Mountain_Orange
03-30-2011, 15:09
where are you going to put the 1L gatorade bottles in the nimbus meridian? not in the side pockets, I hope. If so, expect them to explode. I recommend the platypus collapsible bottle. $8 well spent and it fits in the sides of that pack.

those shoes won't last long and a pair of crocs are great since you can hike in them should a major shoe failure occur and wear them as camp shoes. You can buckle them to the sides with the compression straps on your pack.

the argument around water filtration never ends. A visine bottle full of bleach does the same thing as aquamira and can be refilled along the way for free. I used a pump filter the whole time, it was heavy and convenient. Its a good idea to have some bleach or a few iodine tablets in case the filter fails while you're in the backcountry.

Why convertible pants if you have shorts too? You will, without a doubt, ditch and switch some of that clothing along the way. That's a small pack and you will need more room for food than you are likely accounting for now. I used the meridian vapor. Cramming all of my gear into it along the way was a constant challenge after resupply and I had a much smaller tent & sleeping bag than you are toting.

Have fun!