PDA

View Full Version : Droid X and Cell Service on the AT

wishful1015
03-12-2011, 00:20
Just purchased a Droid X a few weeks ago and figured I'd take it NOBO from Springer on 4/4/11. Are there any recommended apps or e maps? How reliable is cell service along the trail?

Bucherm
03-12-2011, 07:20
I wouldn't worry much about Hiking Apps, just take a dedicated GPS and paper maps.

Cell coverage is iffy, even in areas where you would expect it(Northern Virgina). Better than the other Big 3, though.

V Eight
03-12-2011, 08:07
I use Radar Now. It uses gps to find yor location.
All it does is show you the weather radar for you area, in a
2 hour loop. No temp, wind or anything else. The website
say's that the radar can run up to an hour and a half behind
real time, but my experience is that the lag time is only 20/30 minutes. ymmv

Toolshed
03-12-2011, 09:53
search on WB for droid AT topo maps. there was a recent thread about a new app where you could turn off the data/cell and still pick up GPS signals. I haven't used it yest, though I have had a Droid X for almost a year. I use the X every day. the system updates from October fixed the GPS glitch. It works incredibly well now. I don't even use my Garmin Map 76 that often as the phone GPS is so good. I always bring paper maps and over the decade, I have played around with my GPS's on the trail, but other than keeping tracks for informational purposes, they aren't needed and are really extra weight (including extra batteries). If you use FB and the Geo updates, you could turn the droid network on when you get to high points, take a pic and upload it to FB so folks know where you are (nice feature).

couscous
03-12-2011, 10:13
Gaia GPS (http://www.gaiagps.com/) has received some good reviews for topo maps on the Android O/S.
Verizon Coverage Map (http://www.verizonwireless.com/wireless-coverage-area-map.shtml) .. gives you a general idea.

BrianLe
03-12-2011, 13:34
One app you might consider (search the app market) is Droidlight --- turns your phone into a battery-burning flashlight. Obviously something you hope to never use, but maybe as a backup light source, i.e. use to change batteries on your primary for example.

Some sort of book reading software, such as Aldiko. I don't read on the trail much, but can be nice when waiting for your laundry in town or that sort of thing.
I suggest that you look round to find some sort of backcountry first aid book(s) for it.

Consider which browser you like best; maybe not the default one. I'm using Opera Mini now, not sure which is best.

Some sort of software that allows you to journal, if you're inclined (I bring a folding blutooth keyboard for mine). Quickoffice is free, consider installing that.

I like having a voice recorder, so consider something like VirtualRecorder.

I don't like the default calculator, so consider finding a replacement (I prefer RPN calculators and so found one of those).

I suggest that you get the "advanced settings" app so you can turn off the phone "radio" without explicitly going into "airplane mode".

Certainly some good mapping software would be good, I thus far have no experience at this (other than google maps) with this phone.

I suggest that you look at gear manuals for any gear items you carry that are at all complicated (for example, maybe an altitude watch) and find those in pdf form online and put them on your phone. I rather like having gear manuals for several items along with me in electronic form.

I would encourage you to play with the phone quite a bit before starting, try to do all the things you plan to do on-trail while doing day trips or, better yet, some local backpacking. Figure out which icons you need readily available, learn how to use the camera well enough before you lose photos due to lack of familiarity. Above all figure out how to minimize power drain; a particular issue I have with this phone is a relatively slow boot time, thus I'm more inclined to try to keep it "on" with screen turned off, and work hard to eliminate background power-sucking tasks.

I figure I'll really be getting to know my new Droid X by the time I've finished my next long trip ...

Toolshed
03-12-2011, 21:25
Ha!!! RPN.. Another HP12 finance junkie??

BrianLe
03-12-2011, 23:13
RPN: certainly HP, but it was engineering that ~corrupted me; once you get used to thinking like that, it always takes a little adapting to use the more common algebraic style.

The point, however, is that one doesn't need to stick with whatever lame calculator is provided by default on a smartphone, and there are a lot of choices, including perhaps one that will emulate a specific calculator that you're already used to using.

Toolshed
03-12-2011, 23:58
I have a hard time with a simple calculator after 40 years of RPN.. I did get a scientific calc droid app last year though, that offered RPN...

wishful1015
03-13-2011, 22:31
Thanks to all took the time to share their experiences and advice. I did find "google tracker" that seems to work well, but have not fully experimented yet. Counting the days to Springer.