PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Laurel Designs Cricket Tent

stranger
03-12-2011, 00:33
For anyone looking for a ultra-light shelter you should definitely check this tarp/tent out, easily the most intelligent design I've see in a long time, will be ordering one soon.

Cheers.

FamilyGuy
03-12-2011, 11:58
It is a neat design, but I am not convinced (yet) that it will be ideal for any sort of blowing rain on the open side. Yes the inner has a Momentum strip, which is good for managing condensation and rain splashes, but it is not waterproof. Plus all of your gear will get wet if you leave it in the vestibule and you can't bring it in with you because the inner would not be wide enough.

I am still trying to identify the benefits of this shelter over say, a Tarptent Contrail or Alpinlite Terraform MD tarp.

stranger
03-12-2011, 21:56
I hear ya...those are good points.

I would add that MLD is in different league than Tarptent when it comes to stitching and overall construction, I used to have a TT.

The awning is able to be lowered to deal with driving rain, or raised for better conditions, considering it's a 30 inch overhang, you should be able to get it within 30 inches from the ground.

Agreed on the Momentum, I would prefer silnylon in that section.

I love Alpinlite Gear, and in particular the Terraform, I just don't like the pole smack damn in the middle of the entrance, hence the side design of the Cricket tent....I find A frames far less user friendly then side opened designs.

FamilyGuy
03-13-2011, 02:02
30" from the ground but then maybe a tougher time getting into it?

Regardless - I DO keep coming back to look at pics of it.....; )

(need to check my paypal account).