PDA

View Full Version : Japan moved - Geography

Wise Old Owl
03-13-2011, 12:26
In wake of this unprecedented disaster, one unusual fact just came up about this unusually big quake.

Japan moved 8 feet horizontally
(not sure which direction) I think West.

The earth axis on tilt jumped 4 inches.

I am amazed how quickly scientists can find out these facts and how they come by them.

Rain Man
03-13-2011, 14:01
May I say ... WOW?!!!

Rain:sunMan

WingedMonkey
03-13-2011, 14:39
Towards the west (towards North America) according to GPS pinpoints installedd after the Kobe earthquake of 1995.

10-K
03-13-2011, 14:46
What I wonder, and what I haven't heard anyone talk about, is given the size of the quake was it big enough to jiggle the San Andreas fault and set the west coast of the USA for a similar quake?

Of course I guess it's possible it might have relieved pressure on the San Andreas Fault too.

Desert Reprobate
03-13-2011, 16:11
The question is, If Japan is closer will the flights to Tokyo be any cheaper

Graywolf
03-13-2011, 17:02
The question is, If Japan is closer will the flights to Tokyo be any cheaper

Actually, if Japan moved 8 feet west, then thats 8 feet further away. No, I hate to say, but I think the airlines will find it reason enough to increase airfare..

Toolshed
03-13-2011, 19:15
Actually, if Japan moved 8 feet west, then thats 8 feet further away. No, I hate to say, but I think the airlines will find it reason enough to increase airfare.. Further only if you fly in from the East!!!!:sun

Wise Old Owl
03-14-2011, 21:03
Thanks for the cool replies

DBCFlash
03-14-2011, 21:22
I guess now I'll have to update my GPS before I can drive to Japan.

Chubbs4U
03-14-2011, 21:54
I also heard that when the quake happened we lost 1.8 seconds or some crap. Dont have the article handy.

Gumpa
03-14-2011, 21:55
The days also got a little shorter. Check out this link

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/international/quake-causes-axis-shift-031411

Sierra Echo
03-14-2011, 21:58
You would think if the axis tilted everyone would have felt that. :eek:

4Bears
03-14-2011, 22:30
Guess you got to be in love to feel earth move. lol

DBCFlash
03-15-2011, 07:38
Lots of light-hearted humor here, but I'm certain all of us will do what we can to help the Japanese recover from this jaw-dropping tragedy.

http://american.redcross.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ntld_nolnav_text2help

JAK
03-15-2011, 08:41
My understanding is that Japan shifted 8 feet to the east. What is happening is that the Atlantic Ocean is widening along the mid-atlantic ridge, and North America and Asia are very slowly drifting together, but it happens in a very jerky motion, where the Pacific Plate slides under Japan and in doing so holds Japan back and holds Japan back and then now and then slips under and releases the plate that Japan is on, and that is what happened this time by a full 8-12 feet or so. Where the Pacific plate slipped under there was also a vertical motion caused by the release of compression, and that caused the tsunami. The earths crust that slipped under Japan will also provide more material for volcanic activity. The earths crust is made up mostly of lighter materials, like aluminum oxides and silicon oxides and what not, so that material floats backup and is recycled in volcanic activity. The earth's crust is basically the slag on top of a molten ball of iron and nickle and other heavy metals, and so we are basically living on a slag heap. The Japanese and New Zealanders happen to be living on one of the more 'interesting' spots on our most beautiful of all slag heaps. Be it ever so monstrous, there is no place like home.

Spokes
03-15-2011, 10:04
Puts us 8 feet closer to all those radioactive particles being released into the atmosphere too.

Rick500
03-15-2011, 11:27
I also heard that when the quake happened we lost 1.8 seconds or some crap. Dont have the article handy.

1.8 microseconds ( = 0.0000018 seconds).

Driver8
03-15-2011, 11:29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXvPqOGujXc

4Bears
03-15-2011, 12:38
With Japan moving 8 feet to the west, does this put them in a new time zone, just thinking? :-?

Wise Old Owl
11-06-2011, 23:19
Although I am not a fan of the Japanese people due to what happened to Americans & Australians before my time in WW2.

Nat Geo put together a compelling documentary of the tidal wave and earthquake that aired (I guess) for the first time this weekend - for hours....home video mixed with government supplementals. One quickly identifies the hopelessness of lost loved ones and dis pare one would feel in this terrible survival situation that cannot be overcome in years.

The back story - they have still not recovered.

lilricky
11-09-2011, 08:07
The Japanese people were not at fault for the war, it was the Japanese military and emperor that were responsible, and that was 70 years ago. You're telling me you think that today's Japan somehow caused the attack on Pearl Harbor? Using that logic, we should have had no allies whatsoever in the world. UK? Nope, went to war with them. Spain? Nope. France? Nope. Germany? Nope. Austria? Nope. Etc.. Sorry for the off topic intrusion....

Pedaling Fool
11-09-2011, 09:59
Although I am not a fan of the Japanese people due to what happened to Americans & Australians before my time in WW2.

Nat Geo put together a compelling documentary of the tidal wave and earthquake that aired (I guess) for the first time this weekend - for hours....home video mixed with government supplementals. One quickly identifies the hopelessness of lost loved ones and dis pare one would feel in this terrible survival situation that cannot be overcome in years.

The back story - they have still not recovered.

The Japanese people were not at fault for the war, it was the Japanese military and emperor that were responsible, and that was 70 years ago. You're telling me you think that today's Japan somehow caused the attack on Pearl Harbor? Using that logic, we should have had no allies whatsoever in the world. UK? Nope, went to war with them. Spain? Nope. France? Nope. Germany? Nope. Austria? Nope. Etc.. Sorry for the off topic intrusion....I'm a little surprised at your statement also WOO.

Wise Old Owl
11-09-2011, 23:46
Walk 10 feet in my shoes John... Imagine a naive young man twenty something visiting Pearl Harbor for the first time... I think I have posted this before.... I am surrounded by WW2 vets and we are all getting on the jitney to go to the USS Arizona. Something I wanted to do for a long time when visiting Hawaii. From immediately behind me I hear "What the Fu*K did we fight for?" I whipped around because I am not used to hearing people I personally respect swear... I said nothing and looked...

The entire JAPANESE FLEET was in the harbor for upcoming war games with the United States. All the visible flags was Japan. The ONLY American flag was the Arizona.

Because my parents survived that war and saw it first hand, lived trough it and starved- I most likely have a damn good reason because I wasn't born here, perhaps I have a different take on life. I didn't say I hate them.

Lil Ricky - stop spewing what you read in your high school history books - they were nationalists - if you ever get a chance to talk with a good friend that was really there on the beaches - ask a few good careful questions. Believe me I get it - you don't

1. Americans moved the Japanese to detention camps to "protect" them
2.(almost forgotten and never mentioned) Japanese/Americans volunteered into the service to act as interpreters and formed a new infantry...keeping all of us safe.
Click Here. about the positive aspects.