PDA

View Full Version : Crampon talk

swantekkie
03-13-2011, 18:20
Just curious what people were using for ice traction. I'm going to invest in some crampons but wasnt sure whats good these days. i was looking at the hillsound trail crampon pro because they are a little cheaper but havent heard much about them. I dont really like the yak trax or the micro spikes, so i mostly just used my snowshoes for traction, but i dont always need them, plus they are heavy. thoughts?:banana

tuswm
03-13-2011, 18:38
instep crampons?

tuswm
03-13-2011, 18:40
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44390

Elder
03-13-2011, 21:26
www.icetrekkers.com (http://www.icetrekkers.com)
The diamond grips are great, durable and comfortable to walk or run. Snow, ice, and rock..they are not fragile.

chasegru
03-13-2011, 21:56
Hard to beat Kahtoola Microspikes. Lightweight and provide the most traction short of full 10/12 point ice climbing crampons.

swantekkie
03-13-2011, 22:57
thanks tuswm!

Snowleopard
03-14-2011, 11:00
When and where are you going to use the crampons?

Microspikes, etc., are great for walking on icy trails where it's not too steep and you're not going to die if you fall. It's what I use around home.

There are places in the White Mountains or Adirondacks (and out west) where you are on steep terrain on hard ice with a substantial drop if you fall. Then you need real crampons (and probably an ice axe). In those situations the hillsound trail crampon pro is about the minimum to use. You'd do better to go to a climbing store with the boots that you'll use and get their advice. Soft boots can be problematic. New England Backpacker in Worcester are knowledgeable and there's a place in Manchester, NH that's good, or contact the AMC members that teach their winter mountaineering courses. At EMS and REI, it depends on the knowledge of the sales person.

peakbagger
03-15-2011, 08:34
I live and hike up in the whites and use Hillsounds, they have a bit more traction on ice than Katoola Microspikes but the velcro strap keeps then a bit tighter than microspikes. That said, 90% of the local hikers use microspikes. The hillsounds have a slightly better chance of "balling" up under the cleats compared to microspikes although I have seen microspikes "ball up"

Neither is a replacement for crampons, if you are planning to hike on hard water ice with high exposure if you slip, its time for crampons, and ice ax with leash and the training to use it.

swantekkie
03-16-2011, 15:10
I live and hike up in the whites and use Hillsounds, they have a bit more traction on ice than Katoola Microspikes but the velcro strap keeps then a bit tighter than microspikes. That said, 90% of the local hikers use microspikes. The hillsounds have a slightly better chance of "balling" up under the cleats compared to microspikes although I have seen microspikes "ball up"

Neither is a replacement for crampons, if you are planning to hike on hard water ice with high exposure if you slip, its time for crampons, and ice ax with leash and the training to use it.

im talking about the hillsound pros which dont have the velcro, they are more like a ten point crampon. They have a criss crossed rachet strap pattern and anti balling plates on the bottom.