PDA

View Full Version : What kind of shelter do you carry/

jima59
03-13-2011, 21:25
I'm interested in knowing what type of shelter did you carry on your last AT trip, and why. I'm leaning toward a tarptent with netting for bug protection.

Jimajax

Joey C
03-13-2011, 21:37
There are tons of answers for this, as everyone has their own preference. It's all in what you want. There are a lot of tarptent users, and there are those that would never ever use a tarptent. Collecting opinions would be very diverse. That being said, and since you asked:

In the past I've used the 6 Moon Designs Wild Oasis. 13 oz tarp with bug protection.

Currently, I'm using a Cuben fiber tarp from Z-packs.com with my GT Ultralight hammock. 10.75 oz hammokc, 7 oz tarp.

garlic08
03-13-2011, 21:45
My Tarptent Contrail worked fine for me on my AT thru.

I saw a higher percentage of tarptents on the Western trails than I did on the AT, for some reason.

Rick500
03-14-2011, 01:34
Tarptent Moment. I'm thinking about the whole hammock thing though.

Chubbs4U
03-14-2011, 01:49
Im also looking into a single person option. Curious were this goes.

Leanthree
03-14-2011, 02:34
I saw a higher percentage of tarptents on the Western trails than I did on the AT, for some reason.

A possible explanation:

The major Tarptent weakness is condensation which is less of a problem at altitude. Higher altitudes (generally) out west.

Bucherm
03-14-2011, 03:51
SD Vaporlight 2

Hikes in Rain
03-14-2011, 05:24
Been using a cheap 8 x 10 tarp. I did receive a North Face Canyonlands one man tent as a gift a few years back, and haven't had the opportunity to use it. Set it up in the yard yesterday afternoon, and it's got a lot of features I like. It's no longer made, and a little heavy and bulky, but a lot larger inside that I would have guessed. I can sit up in it, room at the head, foot and sides for stuff, and even a little vestibule, probably just big enough for my boots. Seriously considering taking it on my next trip.

Spokes
03-14-2011, 05:37
In 2009 I carried an MSR Hubba HP. I recently swapped that out for a Six Moon Design Lunar Solo.

Red Hat
03-14-2011, 06:19
Used a tarptent in 08, but had problems finding campsite in Maine with all the camp groups. I switched to a hammock and haven't looked back since. My thru last year I used a Warbonnet hammock with a speer winter tarp. Fantastic!

Stir Fry
03-14-2011, 06:24
Hammock with a tarp. After years of tenting I discovered Hammocking and I wont sleep on the ground again unless no other options.

Stir Fry
03-14-2011, 06:27
There are tons of answers for this, as everyone has their own preference. It's all in what you want. There are a lot of tarptent users, and there are those that would never ever use a tarptent. Collecting opinions would be very diverse. That being said, and since you asked:

In the past I've used the 6 Moon Designs Wild Oasis. 13 oz tarp with bug protection.

Currently, I'm using a Cuben fiber tarp from Z-packs.com with my GT Ultralight hammock. 10.75 oz hammokc, 7 oz tarp.

I'm thinking about making a cuben tarp and was wondering about the noise leval in the rain.

Raul Perez
03-14-2011, 07:52
Blackbird hammock, OES MacCat Deluxe Tarp

V Eight
03-14-2011, 07:58
Taking my Tarp Tent, Sub-lite Sil in 12 days.:banana
It will be my first time with a single wall tent, so learning to manage any condensation will be fun.

Old Hiker
03-14-2011, 08:15
Clark Jungle hammock - tropical with extra large fly. Several years old - 5? 6? Would buy again in a heartbeat.

Tenderheart
03-14-2011, 08:28
I used an Integral Designs silicone-impregnated tarp. Just a plain 8x10 tarp, no frills. I will use it again when I leave in April for my second thru hike. Hope it and I make it.

litefoot 2000

BradMT
03-14-2011, 08:32
Just a plain 8x10 tarp

Same here... that was in 1977.

Tenderheart
03-14-2011, 09:17
Been using a cheap 8 x 10 tarp. I did receive a North Face Canyonlands one man tent as a gift a few years back, and haven't had the opportunity to use it. Set it up in the yard yesterday afternoon, and it's got a lot of features I like. It's no longer made, and a little heavy and bulky, but a lot larger inside that I would have guessed. I can sit up in it, room at the head, foot and sides for stuff, and even a little vestibule, probably just big enough for my boots. Seriously considering taking it on my next trip.

I bought a cheap tarp and carried it on a few trips. Worked fine. I was in a very cold Low Gap shelter covered up in the tarp when a woman asked what a former thru hiker was doing with such a cheap tarp. What could I say? I hiked with lots of guys who had Canyonlands. Great thing was only one pole. These older tents are great and in many cases better than their new counterparts. Case in point is the little Clip CD from Sierra Designs.

litefoot 2000

sbhikes
03-14-2011, 12:00
I used a Gossamer Gear One on the PCT but I think if I was hiking the AT I'd bring my 8x10 tarp and bug net. There's a lot more humidity on the AT.

RETCW4
03-14-2011, 13:03
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1.

Tumbleweed

Hikes in Rain
03-14-2011, 14:11
I bought a cheap tarp and carried it on a few trips. Worked fine. I was in a very cold Low Gap shelter covered up in the tarp when a woman asked what a former thru hiker was doing with such a cheap tarp. What could I say? I hiked with lots of guys who had Canyonlands. Great thing was only one pole. These older tents are great and in many cases better than their new counterparts. Case in point is the little Clip CD from Sierra Designs.

litefoot 2000

I've been asked the cheap tarp question before, as well. My reply always seemed to take the askers aback. "With a cheap tarp, I won't cry when I poke (or burn) a hole in it."

I did a little research on ways to lighten up the Canyonland. Titanium stakes and a carbon fiber pole to replace the aluminum ones. Probably spend more doing that than the tent originally cost! (I think the giver got it at a closeout sale; that was right around the time they stopped making it). But even without that, I just weighed all my new gear, and with food for five days, fuel and water, I'm still just under 30 pounds, so I'll probably take it on my next trip.

ChrisFol
03-14-2011, 14:46
I'm interested in knowing what type of shelter did you carry on your last AT trip, and why. I'm leaning toward a tarptent with netting for bug protection.

Jimajax

It really depends on what you are looking for and your personal preference and it is because of the multiple scenarios that I also have multiple shelters.

-8x8 JrB tarp with a bivy that I use for solo trips without the dog.

-I recently purchased a SMD Lunar Solo that I will try this year when I do take the dog.

-Tarptent Rainshadow 2 is what I bring when there is my wife, the dog and myself.

-I also have a hammock set-up that I still haven't tested yet, but I doubt I will use it very much.

endubyu
03-14-2011, 14:50
Clark hammock - love it!

Tenderheart
03-14-2011, 15:03
I've been asked the cheap tarp question before, as well. My reply always seemed to take the askers aback. "With a cheap tarp, I won't cry when I poke (or burn) a hole in it."

I did a little research on ways to lighten up the Canyonland. Titanium stakes and a carbon fiber pole to replace the aluminum ones. Probably spend more doing that than the tent originally cost! (I think the giver got it at a closeout sale; that was right around the time they stopped making it). But even without that, I just weighed all my new gear, and with food for five days, fuel and water, I'm still just under 30 pounds, so I'll probably take it on my next trip.

Hey, 30 pounds with 5 days food ain't bad. I'm sure folks here would like to see your gear list.

litefoot 2000

MedicineMan
03-14-2011, 16:58
10 years now using a hammock....
Current setup:
Warbonnet Traveler 16 oz
Wabonet Yeti 3 season 14oz. (2oz overfill)
Warbonnet Mamba 22 oz.
McCat Delux cuben 6.5 ounces
Suspension=whoopies/tree huggers 4 oz.

62.5 oz of utter comfort in any terrain

HeartFire
03-14-2011, 17:48
LightHeart Solo - 27 oz double wall roomy tent
LightHeart Wedge -29 oz - gives you an awning
LightHeart Solo in cuben fiber - 18 oz of roominess.

Judy - LightHeart Gear
www.lightheartgear.com

SwitchbackVT
03-14-2011, 17:55
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1

Snospotter
03-14-2011, 18:09
HaS ANY ONE TRIED THE EMARALD mt. sl1 ON THE AT, big Anes ,Thats my tent , but ive never used it in harhs cond. such as the AT for 100 days any feed back ? PT

ChrisFol
03-14-2011, 20:50
HaS ANY ONE TRIED THE EMARALD mt. sl1 ON THE AT, big Anes ,Thats my tent , but ive never used it in harhs cond. such as the AT for 100 days any feed back ? PT

My wife and I owned the 3-person version for a few years and really loved it. Easy set-up (about 4 minutes) and at 5lbs (split between two or 3 people) and it becomes relatively light for a doubled walled, 3-person tent.

As for "harsh conditions"-- it is a 3-season tent that held up fine to wind, rain and light snow here in the Colorado high country. It won't handle huge amounts of snow, but then again nor will most 3-season shelters.

However, if I was going to spend $200 on a 3-season shelter then I would look at the Tarptent Contrail, you can find used ones for $150-$175 shipped on various gear forums.

ChrisFol
03-14-2011, 20:51
Also, if you can find a used Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo for about the same price, then that is worth a look.

10-K
03-14-2011, 20:56

Judy - LightHeart Gear
www.lightheartgear.com (http://www.lightheartgear.com)

Speaking of which, how are those cuben Solo's coming along Ms. Judy? :)

Koinseb
03-14-2011, 21:16
Blackbird hammock, OES MacCat Deluxe Tarp

Exactly my setup as well.

map man
03-14-2011, 21:25
Tarptent Virga II (no longer manufactured -- it is similar in size to today's Contrail). I use it because it is relatively light (though not as light as a tarp) while still providing a floor and bug protection.

Tinker
03-14-2011, 23:41
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/5/0/2/dsc01457_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38616&c=member&imageuser=2502)
Add a rainfly for rain and a bug net for bugs.
Never a wet floor (what floor?). Set up tarp first in rain then under cover of tarp set up hammock & bag. Add another bag inside for cold weather. In the summer there's nothing like the feeling of the breeze underneath you (can't happen with any pad because they're sealed in one way or another). Weight - Hammock, 10 oz. Bag 1.5 lb. straps 8 oz. Tarp - 11 oz. in summer, 1.5 lb. in winter. Inside bag for cold weather 1 lb. Bug net 1lb. (there are lighter ones out there for sure - Warbonnet makes a 7.5 oz. one).

sixguns01
03-15-2011, 08:39

Jimajax

Gossamer Gear's "The One" tent is my choice tent. 18oz and provides full protection from the weather and bugs. Takes a little practice to get the setup correct but the learning curve is quick. Sturdy in a storm as well.

HeartFire
03-16-2011, 10:16
Speaking of which, how are those cuben Solo's coming along Ms. Judy? :)

They are getting cranked out, I have all the "rush" orders taken care of and am now working my way down the list, depending on the options people want they weigh between 17 - 20 oz.

tuswm
03-16-2011, 17:56
TT DR. Light, good size, free standing. Fits my needs. Cant zip sleeping bags together in a hammock. Also I do a lot of winter camping and I stay warmer on the ground.

stranger
03-17-2011, 22:57

Judy - LightHeart Gear
www.lightheartgear.com

Awww c'mon now...a little biased are we?

JK, Lightheart makes good stuff, so does Mountain Laurel Designs and heaps of people like the shelters by Six Moon Designs.

I know some people love them, but I wouldn't get another Tarptent, not unless their construction has improved substantially...

Personally speaking...I've had great results with the Sierra Designs Light Year, Big Agnes Copper Spur 1, Mountain Laurel Designs Patrol shelter and a basic 9 x 7 tarp someone made me with a bug bivy.

SunnyWalker
03-17-2011, 23:09
Depends on climate I am hiking into and some other factors. Here is what I have and switch into/out of all the times and not listed in any order of preference:
Hennesee Hammock (most favorite)
REI Bivi Bag
Poncho that can double as tarp tent. Forgot it's brand name. But real common.
Clip Flashlight tent

Wags
03-18-2011, 00:18
10 years now using a hammock....
Current setup:
Warbonnet Traveler 16 oz
Wabonet Yeti 3 season 14oz. (2oz overfill)
Warbonnet Mamba 22 oz.
McCat Delux cuben 6.5 ounces
Suspension=whoopies/tree huggers 4 oz.

62.5 oz of utter comfort in any terrain

when did OES start using cuben?

MedicineMan
03-18-2011, 00:20
I don't know if Brian is specifically marketing them yet....some at HF got in on a test run last year. An email to OES would confirm.

Wags
03-18-2011, 11:24
good to know. i'm currently weighing (get it) my options b/t the MLD and zpacks tarp. will shoot brian an email to see if he gets into the running...

earlyriser26
03-18-2011, 11:34
Best single person option is a full size, two person, free standing tent. I am sure plenty will think otherwise. Try them all and see what works for you.

Ewker
03-18-2011, 12:15
it varies. I have a Henry Shire tarptent (old Squall2) that works great for 2 people, I also have some hammocks that we use.

chiefdaddy
03-18-2011, 12:46
I didn't read everyone's responses just gonna give my 2 cents worth.
The hennessy hammock(backpacker asym) 1lb the whole AT on my 2008 thru hike and did well with it, the weight is right and the pack size is perfect. On that note Hammocks are tricky to use and there are problems to deal with.
In 2010 I Thru hiked the PCT with the Contrail Tarptent and still have and use it. I just spent the night in a Blizzard in it and it is still kickin. The Contrail is about 1.5 lbs has a bottom and bug net. Even slept two a ton on the PCT (my girl for 5 weeks and my buddy for a week). I think this is one of the best shelters for a thru hiker hands down.
Both choices are under 200 bucks retail and will last the whole trail if you take care of it.

Peace,

Chiefdaddy

BrianLe
03-18-2011, 13:54
Hwy chiefdaddy, you did the AT when I did the PCT, and you did the PCT when I did the AT. I'm on the CDT this coming year going SOBO; I suppose that means that you'll be walking north? :-)

Okay, original thread question: I started on the AT last year with a Gatewood cape and light bivy, slept always in shelters though for the first several weeks. With an early start (February) and lots of blowdowns to slither through, the cape worried me as rain protection, so I switched to a normal rain coat and carried my Tarptent Contrail for the rest of the trip. Still slept mostly in shelters; with an early start on the AT, the PCT was a far more "social" trail for me !

I'm getting one of those lightheart solo tents in cuben for the CDT; if doing the AT again, I'd definitely go for that.

Really, all sorts of options will work. I would encourage folks to err on the light side rather than the "maximally comfortable in camp" side of the equation and just make do when conditions aren't optimal. Having all of those shelters certainly helps. My hiking partner for most of the AT had a SMD Wild Oasis, which was an even better choice given that --- again --- we slept mostly in shelters. So he had a lighter "tent that was rarely used".

Obviously the shelter use dynamic is a bit different if you start in April rather than February. Still --- err on the light side and spend your time hiking the trail and not sitting around inside a tent.

Kia Kaha
03-19-2011, 09:01
I use the SMD Lunar solo and the Lunar Duo when my wife is with me, the only downside (not a downside for me) is that they are not free standing.

RockDoc
03-23-2011, 01:42
Squall 2 or double Rainbow when 2 are hiking.
Gatewood cape for solo work.

58starter
03-23-2011, 18:09
Eureka Spitfire 1, I am 6'2" and 225 and had plenty of room.

q-tip
03-24-2011, 21:13
TT Contrail-worked great in hot and cold....

10-K
03-24-2011, 21:16
Squall 2 or double Rainbow when 2 are hiking.
Gatewood cape for solo work.

I just picked up a Gatewood cape the other day and am going to take it out on an overnighter tomorrow. It's supposed to rain and this'll be the first time I've been out with a floorless shelter too.

Worse case I'll get soaked but I should only be about 5 hours from my truck.

trailangelbronco
03-24-2011, 22:43
Dumped my tarp for a Lightheart Solo and have never regretted it.

Everyone who hikes with me ends up wanting one when they see the room, the view, and the ease of set up. No poles, cept for the hiking poles. If ya dont use hiking poles, this wont work.

hikerhobs
03-28-2011, 19:13
I use a cabelas XPG ultralight 2-person tent plenty of room, nice venting, and under 5-pounds. nice tent ...

hikerboy57
03-28-2011, 19:32
big agnes fly creek ul2. 2lbs, 4oz, plenty of room for one. Not completely free standing, but easy enough to stake out, sets up quick.

Papa D
03-28-2011, 19:49
MSR Carbon Reflex - basically a non-free standing Hubba with carbon poles

BrianLe
03-29-2011, 01:45
I got my hybrid Lightheart solo in the mail. Upper is cuben, the floor is sil-nylon, I got dual side doors and the awning option on one side. Total weight is 19.7 oz, without stakes or groundcloth; this does include all needed cord (included) and a cuben fabric stuff sack.

Thus far I've only had it up in my backyard, but it seems very nice; looking forward to a shakedown trip using this tent sometime in May or so.

Perhaps I should mention that this isn't white cuben, it's colored, a sort of green that I quite like. With the black sil-nylon floor I think the whole thing looks pretty good too, and fairly ~subtle.

JF2CBR
03-29-2011, 06:12
I usually hang a Hennessy Backpacker UL at a little under two pounds packed. When it's too cold to hang (don't have the winter gear yet) I use the Eureka Solitaire, it's a little bit of a pain to set up, but it's sturdy and roomy inside for the 2.9lb weight of the thing.

QiWiz
03-29-2011, 16:04

Jimajax

Gatewood Cape and NetTent for if/when de bugs be out. NetTent can be set up inside shelters without Gatewood if you like as well.

cabbagehead
03-05-2012, 14:23
I had a Eureka Solitaire, and every single pole segment broke. If you like this tent, get the Canadian version. It has 7000 series aluminum poles, and a few other differences. The poles from the Canadian version can easily be made to work with the American version. Also, if you get the Canadian version, use the seamseal, and spray it with waterproofer.

The only thing I don't like about both versions is that there is no vestibule. I wouldn't want a large vestibule. I just want a place to store my shoes next to my tent without getting too much dirt in my tent.

Drybones
03-05-2012, 20:03
I have several different tents and they all condensate if it's warmer in the tent than outside...laws of physics!...just wipe it off in the morning before packing up.

Drybones
03-05-2012, 20:07
We have the 3-person version...only use it when the wife and dogs go.

Drybones
03-05-2012, 20:10
Tarptent Notch or Eureka! Spitfire 1 - solo
Tarptent Double Rainbow - with a 4-legged buddy
Emerald Mountain 3 - the whole crew

coach lou
03-05-2012, 20:34
I use my Fly from My Eureka tent, & 50' of cord. In summer I have a bug net that fits under it.

coheterojo
03-05-2012, 20:40
I used a Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo on both thru-hikes. I like the headroom and space. Never had a single problem even in the worst of weather. It was also handy if I was lucky enough to have company for the night.

kennybrae
03-05-2012, 21:11
MSR Zoid 1. 3 pounds. I think they're out of production but you can still find them. They are bomb proof.

cabbagehead
07-12-2012, 00:17
I use a Canadian Eureka Solitaire because it's cheap, easy to set up, and has strong aluminum poles. American poles are made of fiberglass, and they break.
+1 for tarp tents. They look like they're well made. I've never used one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C89T1S-whsk

Lyle
07-12-2012, 00:22
Six Moon Wild Oasis. Light, some bug protection, Light, compact, did I say Light?

T.S.Kobzol
07-12-2012, 06:59
Carrying I usually pitch Warmlite 2t or granite gear tarp with bug net insert.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Grits
07-12-2012, 07:03
Just depends on the situation and who is going but I use
A. Warbonnet Blackbird with superfly
B. Big Sky eveloution 2P
C. NF Roadrunner 23
D. LL Bean Geodesic Dome (car camping)

theinfamousj
07-12-2012, 21:17

Jimajax

I'm a section hiker, but an eensy (petite?) weeny one without the strength to carry much gear. If I am soloing my section I bring Gossamer Gear's The One in sail cloth. I have the original model from 2008 and I baby it and do my own gear repairs, so it is still going strong.

If I am hiking with a partner, I have the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 which is a narrow tent but I've never had a problem sharing it. You just have to do things other than sleep outside of the tent. At 2.something pounds, sometimes my stronger, fitter, taller, larger, manlier, or what have you hiking partners will carry the whole thing as they laugh at the weight of the tent and cannot believe it holds two people.

I also have a few more palatial tents I've picked up/repaired from REI Garage Sales and if I'm car camping, I'll bring one of those. If my hiking partner is one of those, "Load me up with weight so I can show how much of a He Man I truly am" types, I might bring a car camping tent instead of the SL2. Generally not, though, as I only hiked with one such individual who ended up carrying the tent and all the food (minus that day's snacks), the stove, and the fuel for both of us, and still offered to take more if I wanted to give him more.

English Stu
07-14-2012, 10:49
I have had three section hikes on the AT I used a Golite Cave Tarp which I sent home when when I got into nice Georgia weather and used a Equinox poncho Tarp for two weeks. On my next hike I had a TT Contrail following that one I had the TT Moment. The Moment is my favourite as it is so easy to use and has bug netting and floor.The Contrail is fine but you have less room to sit up than in the Moment.The tarps are also adequate and light if you want to move fast but because of all the tie outs they need more space to set up.

Deadeye
07-14-2012, 12:09
Hammock with a tarp. After years of tenting I discovered Hammocking and I wont sleep on the ground again unless no other options.

+1 and ten more letters

Deadeye
07-14-2012, 12:15
Didn't answer the why... I find a hammock super comfortable, and I get a great night's sleep, wake up with no soreness at all. There's only a couple gazillion places to hang - all you need is 2 trees 12-20 feet apart, and you don't have to find flat dry ground. Loads of room to hang out, cook, etc. under the tarp, with or without the hammock set up, and you can sleep on the ground under the tarp if you need or prefer, like when you want to sleep atop a bald, or in a field, or in tenting platform area. Comfy, roomy, versatile, don't have to crawl on the ground to squeeze into a tent.

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 12:23
My main backpacking tent is the Eurieka Solitaire, it is very cramped, more like a large bivy than a tent. I'd buy it again if it were my only chioce, but it is not my dream tent. It's just...light, cramped, cheap, bright, and functional.

Rasty
07-14-2012, 14:13
Henry Shires Tarptent Double Rainbow (Solo and with daughter). Eureka Timberline 4 with the whole family. Thinking of getting a Tarptent Notch to cut almost a pound when going solo.

LIhikers
07-20-2012, 11:18
When it's me, the wife and the dog I carry a Tarptent Rainshadow II.
When it's just me I use a Tarptent Rainbow.

MuddyWaters
07-21-2012, 12:55
Last trip took the hexamid twin.

I also have GG "The One", which I love, has better weather protection

I am trying to move to tarp/bivy for more flexibility. Bivy provides bug protection anywhere,and can be used by itself when really hot.

Connie
07-21-2012, 16:05
I have a Ti-Goat Bug Net Bivy and Oware AsymTarp 1.

It is the perfect combination, ready in my backpack, for hiking and camping for me.

I also have the GoLite Shangri La 3 for a camping trip.