PDA

View Full Version : Anybody used a CC Tri-Ti stove W/wood?

300winmag
03-13-2011, 23:34
I just ordered the Caldera Cone Sidewinder titaniun stove (& pot) that uses alky, ESBIT or wood.

Anyone here cook with a CC Ti stove withthe Inferno wood burning kit??

Comments?

Kepley
03-16-2011, 11:18
It looks like you made a good choice. I considered buying the caldera setup myself, but opted for the nimblewill nomad twig stove (personal preference). Burning wood lets you cut down on fuel weight and the inconvenience of seeking fuel in town. I do know that with your setup you are going to have to deal with soot from the fire and hot spots. The hot spots is due to the thin titanium transferring heat so effectively, which can sometimes burn the food under enough heat. The cone should regulate the heat some. If you cook with enough water this problem is eliminated. To eliminate the soot problem you can rub soap or wrap the pot with aluminum foil. I think you made a great choice because of the versatility of that product.

Slosteppin
03-17-2011, 21:07
I've been using my CC Tri-Ti for over a year. I wanted the option in case I ran out of fuel again. I prefer to use alcohol.

I've only used it twice to burn wood. The system I have the wood fire is built on a round circle of TI on the ground. Once the fire is going then the cone is set over the fire. The pot tests on 2 TI stakes higher than when using alky so the fire can still be fed with small sticks. I make sure the system is on bare soil when using a wood fire. The ground under and nearby gets very hot.

It is easy to clean off the soot with a few handfuls of wet sand.

QiWiz
03-18-2011, 11:44
I just ordered the Caldera Cone Sidewinder titaniun stove (& pot) that uses alky, ESBIT or wood.

Anyone here cook with a CC Ti stove withthe Inferno wood burning kit??

Comments?

Yes, but without the Inferno (was not made or sold when I got mine). Works fine without Inferno. You will get soot (life goes on); cleans off with a little TP, dry leaves, wet or dry sand, or whatever you have to wipe off the black powder layer inside cone and outside pot. Means you always have a backup if you run out of alcohol or Esbit.
I bring cotton balls with a little vaseline rubbed into them as a fire starter, though you really just need a match or lighter in most conditions if you have any fire-starting experience.