PDA

View Full Version : Unconventional Thru Start-Finish Dates

AeroGuyDC
03-14-2011, 12:32
First, i'll state the obvious by saying that snow is a major reason for typically thru-hiking from March-October.

But can anyone tell me the cons (and pros if there are any) for starting a NOBO in say September? At an average pace, at what point on the trail would a person reach the "can't go no further" point because of winter weather? Is it humanly possible to hike New England in the winter months?

I know many will roll their eyes at the notion, i'm just curious what the possibilities and limitations are. Any and all input is appreciated.

AeroGuyDC
03-14-2011, 12:41
What about a SOBO? I forgot to add that in my original post above.

Oops

Doughnut
03-14-2011, 12:49
Shorter days, cold weather, heavier clothes, bag, some services not available etc, More calories required, harder hiking in snow. Easy to miss blazes when snow is stuck to the trees, harder to stay on the trail. Totally possible, much longer, much more planning.
Also, Baxter park closes in the winter for hiking or climbing Katadyn. Huts int he Whites are seasonal too.
Still, it IS possible..

Feral Bill
03-14-2011, 12:49
New England in winter is no joke. Above treeline especially. Waiting out a whiteout in the Presidential Range is boring as hell at best, fatal at worst.

Snowleopard
03-14-2011, 13:31
Some of the north is impossible at some times of year. Mid winter is just very very difficult and requires substantial winter mountaineering skill. Once things start melting it can be very dangerous till most of the snow is gone -- very steep terrain with 10' or more of soft snow with running water underneath. Some rivers will be too high to cross.

I think that to get permission to climb Katahdin in winter you need to provide your climbing resume.

Here's an interesting thread from lemon73, a strong, well equipped and experienced guy who did a winter hike in NH. I think he had only one near death experience on his winter hike to Mt. Bond in NH. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67086&highlight=winter+bond

A hiker who was less lucky on a similar trip:
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Newsroom/News_2004/News_2004_Q1/Hiker_Holmes_IDed_011604.htm

doheir
03-14-2011, 20:23
I just got back from a backcountry skiing trip in Baxter, my second trip this winter. Climbing Katahdin in the winter would give me great pause since it has a lot of above tree line exposure that provides no respite in a storm. We often gaze up at the mountain as plumes of snow and hurricane force winds scour the summit. Not for the faint of heart.

Winter climbs are done with permission of the park, and you have to certify that you have winter mountaineering experience and the equipment to match. For regular treks, the park has made the requirements less strict, and they even allow solo travel (previously parties of four were the minimum). You're still fairly isolated in the winter.

Most of the winter ascents are also done from Chimney Pond, the opposite side of the mountain from the AT (the Katahdin Stream side). Coming in on the AT would mean a traverse (going up one side and down another) which would make it even more arduous.

Doug

peakbagger
03-15-2011, 08:25
The trail tends to disapear in the winter in much of Maine and NH. The nicely cut corridor fills in with snow and the trees bend over obscuring the route. In many places the blazes are under the snow. Breaking trail in winter with a pack or a pull behind sled is a 1 mile per hour average if you are lucky which means half the mileage per day and twice the exertion and calories. Sure people have done the trail in winter for the challenge but these were well equipped individuals with lots if winter experience with bail out options.

fiddlehead
03-15-2011, 09:41
Depends on the year of course.
I would guess that the long nights will get to you before the snow does (with a Sept. or Oct NOBO start) and you'd probably make it to northern VA or PA before the days get really short.
SOBO, i once started on Oct 14 and had a warm fall/winter and it was fine. (except for the long nights) we had a support vehicle though which made a big difference (radio, computer, coleman stove, lots of meat and eggs, carrying smaller packs, etc)
This past winter would've been a tough one as it came early and lingered.

Don't worry so much about the traditional start dates, they are for the sheep.

Do what you can do and when it's no longer fun, wrap it up till next year.

Buffalo Skipper
03-15-2011, 12:00
Flyin Brian started NOBO at Springer on January 1 2001, beginning his calendar triple crown. He made it to Mass/Vermont line by mid-late March before leaving the AT. Snow was higher than the blazes, and walking through branches made it impossible to determine the trail. Read about his attempt here:
http://royrobinson.homestead.com/Triple_Crown.html