PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiking In Shenandoah National Park?

jdb
03-14-2011, 16:26
I'm going out for 1 week (April 1) in Shenandoah starting out in the northern end. Planning on about 75 miles +/- total. I'll make a sign that says "Hiker Nedds Lift Back To Car" or something like that.

Do you think its resonable to hithchike back to my car and how long should I expect this to take?

Thanks

jdb
03-14-2011, 16:27
reasonable...oops!

Cookerhiker
03-14-2011, 16:32
Hitching is allowed in the Park and I've never had a problem hitching but I've never hitched that long a distance. Early April won't see much traffic so you may have a long wait.

jdb
03-14-2011, 16:45
I hate to think how much a shuttle would be.

bigcranky
03-14-2011, 17:23
We picked up a couple of hikers and their dog in Shenandoah last summer. They had hitched from Harper's Ferry to the southern end of SNP in a single morning. They reported it was all easy hitching.

McPick
03-14-2011, 17:42
Ahhh... Thanks for some of my fondest memories from '06. Hiked for many weeks with two ladies from England. "The Lady Brits." Including the entire length of Shenandoah National Park.

We used the park campgrounds. Mostly Big Meadows. Which meant breakfast in the mornings at the "Wayside" and showers and the "Tap Room" (beer and entertainment) in the evenings.

We hiked out and hitched back, or hitched out and hiked back, through the entire park. Never a problem.

After breakfast at the Wayside, I'd stop folks at the restaurant and say, "Hi, I'm hiking the Appalachian Trail with those two ladies from England (pointing) and we're trying to get a ride to..."

Usually the answer was something.like this... "Ladies! England! Get in!" Then I'd sit back and just let those two talk. They were charming, personable women with wonderful stories. Their British accents were a delight to everyone.

Truth be told, I never had any problems hitchin' anywhere along the AT.

1azarus
03-14-2011, 19:00
it is even easy for a single older man like me to hitch hike in the snp -- you just want to try to time it so that there is tourist traffic. 7am is not so good. rain is not so good. otherwise, It is so easy, in fact, that I'd be tempted to hitch hike for good meals or icecream then hitch hike back to the trail head to continue hiking.

wyclif
03-14-2011, 19:18
I've never found it particularly hard to hitch in SNP-- it's probably one of the easier places to hitch on the Trail. Just be polite, reasonable, and entertain your ride with some colourful stories and you should be fine.

bivy
03-15-2011, 19:34
It is always resonable to hitch everywhere.

Crash
03-15-2011, 20:34
I tried in early June and it was difficult. Very few cars and only one stopped. The guy who stopped was like not of this world.:eek:

tuswm
03-15-2011, 22:56
I hitched there a few times and every single time I got a ride with the first car. it was amazing. The last time was a cop.

the goat
03-16-2011, 10:50
i've hitched a bunch in snp after trail runs, hikes, etc. & never had any trouble. you may have to "piece together" a few hitches for that distance, but it's definitely doable.

Shiraz-mataz
03-16-2011, 16:16
When I contacted the shuttle folks a couple years ago, they quoted me about $100, and that was for just about 1/3 of the park. On our last section we had to "pop smoke" on day two and had to hitch a ride. No problem getting someone to pull over but man, what a ride... The guy was a Russian dude who drove the whole way (about 20 miles) snapping pictures with one hand while steering with the other. This was all while telling us about the UFO he'd seen... Beggars can't be choosers, right? Well, maybe we should've had him pull over and let us out!

johnnybgood
03-16-2011, 16:40
The timing of this hike ,(early April ) won't be as easy to hitch as opposed to any time after Memorial Day Weekend .
Big Meadows campground should be open. Check the SNP website below for information .
You might have to road walk awhile.... Good luck and have a great hike.

Bob McCaw
03-16-2011, 16:43
I had trouble getting a ride the one time I hitched in SNP. Of course I'm old and ugly.

ATsawyer
03-16-2011, 20:12
Standing on the Drive in my filthy end-of-a-workday trail maintainer garb, my hat crooked and holding an axe, I've never had to wait for more than a few minutes for a ride. But I've had some wide-eyed stares from drivers passing me by.

Cookerhiker
03-16-2011, 20:16
Standing on the Drive in my filthy end-of-a-workday trail maintainer garb, my hat crooked and holding an axe, I've never had to wait for more than a few minutes for a ride. But I've had some wide-eyed stares from drivers passing me by.

Same here. As I said on another recent thread, I think my orange construction-type hard hat and carrying a saw and/or pulaski actually helped me get a ride.

But to the OP: please note that all such instances of easy rides were during times of higher traffic volume. As I and some others already pointed out, hitching on a weekday in early April will take longer.

Pony
03-16-2011, 20:34
I hate to think how much a shuttle would be.

Two years ago it cost me $180 to get a shuttle from Waynesboro to Front Royal.

I would hitch.

Pony
03-16-2011, 20:44
The guy was a Russian dude who drove the whole way (about 20 miles) snapping pictures with one hand while steering with the other. This was all while telling us about the UFO he'd seen... Beggars can't be choosers, right? Well, maybe we should've had him pull over and let us out!

That's funny. I had a hitch in SNP from a German guy for about 18 miles. Judging by the empty heinekin bottles in the back seat he was on number 6 or 7 and it wasn't even noon. He also spent a good portion of the time driving with the emergency brake on, going 20 mph and stopping in the middle of the road whenever he wanted to look at something. The best part was when we got to Skyland lodge, he wanted to get a picture with us. He politely asked an elderly couple to take our picture, and by politely I mean he yelled "YOU TAKE PHOTO" at them. The couple looked petrified but took our picture anyway. I still get a pretty good laugh whenever I think about it.

Daydream Believer
03-21-2011, 20:46
Does anyone know if there's an issue with parking cars at the entrance stations like at Rockfish Gap or Thornton gap? I'm thinking of hiking the Shenandoah starting in April in sections and figured that would be a good place to leave a car. I've seen cars parked there before but wondered if they were allowed for several days at a time.

Thanks!

1azarus
03-22-2011, 17:53
Does anyone know if there's an issue with parking cars at the entrance stations like at Rockfish Gap or Thornton gap? I'm thinking of hiking the Shenandoah starting in April in sections and figured that would be a good place to leave a car. I've seen cars parked there before but wondered if they were allowed for several days at a time.

Thanks!

I did just that -- you just need to tell the rangers what your plans are.

Blissful
03-22-2011, 18:15
Rockfish Gap might be an issue. I know ATC had put out an alert for vandalism on a car parked at the overpass there before you enter the park. Unless you can park right near the entrance station itself.

Sly
03-22-2011, 20:14
Hitching is allowed in the Park...

If I'm not mistaken hitch hiking is prohibited in SNP

Daydream Believer
03-22-2011, 20:59
Thanks for the info!

Pickles&Shakespeare
03-24-2011, 19:21

Thanks!

I haven't hike that area yet but Rockfish is basically in Waynesboro. You should try to contact Jeff Fiffe,Executive Director, of the Waynesboro YMCA and see if you could park your car. He is a super nice guy and loves hikers. The public library is right next door with a rather large parking lot. If you are hitching anyway what is a couple of miles more? Right next to the Y is a Kroger super large parking lot, a wachovia bank, and an AYCE china buffet, Ming Garden!!!!!!! So yummy for $10.00.

Daydream Believer
03-24-2011, 20:15
Thanks Pickles&Shakespeare! Good idea!

jlb2012
03-25-2011, 08:26
If I'm not mistaken hitch hiking is prohibited in SNP

you are mistaken - hitch hiking is permitted if you are going back to your car

you are probably thinking of Blue Ridge Parkway rules

Land_Shark
03-25-2011, 08:30
Call RockFish Gap outfitter in waynesboro va they can help I would offer but will be on the trail at that time.

Daydream Believer
03-25-2011, 22:21
Thanks Landshark. I appreciate the suggestion to the outfitter also. Often they do shuttles. Have a great hike! I'm dying to get out this spring myself!