PDA

View Full Version : Frameless pack question

Mtn Scout
03-14-2011, 16:46
recently got a go lite jam on their sale. have been wanting to try one of these packs. this will be my first frameless packs. looking for advice on how differently i need to pack my gear:sun

royalusa
03-14-2011, 18:33
I think everyone probably has their own style, but what I have found that works for me is:

1. Line inside with compactor trash bag
2. Place sleeping bag and clothes in trash bag; twist the top of the trash bag and stick the twisted top down the side. (In other words, I do not use stuff sacks...this way I have my bag and clothes "fill out" the backpack and avoid the extra weight of stuff sacks...of course, you got to trust your trash bag for waterproofness...check it for holes often and replace as frequently as you deem necessary to avoid risks)
3. Food goes next (I keep out the next meal or two to have it handy)
4. Rain gear and tent on top

ChrisFol
03-14-2011, 20:32
recently got a go lite jam on their sale. have been wanting to try one of these packs. this will be my first frameless packs. looking for advice on how differently i need to pack my gear:sun

Pretty much the same as the above:

1) Roll up my short Ridgerest into a cylinder and place that into the pack.
2) Insert a trash compacktor bag into the cylinder
3) Insert my quilt, followed by anything else that I need to stay dry and don't use until the end of the day (clothes, etc)
4) I then seal the trash bag (roll it down and secure with a rubber band which I always lose!)
5) Tent if I carry one will go next, followed by my the food, cook set and misc item stuff sack.
6) In the outside zip pocket I stuff my rain coat, rain pants, windshirt, liner gloves, fleece hat, the days food (minus dinner) and any maps or guidebooks.
7) Side pockets usually holds a combination of the following: 1L water bottle, tent poles, tarp, stakes (rubber banded) and my fly-rod.
8) Hip belt pockets I will have my compass, knife and probably a bar of some kind.

Pretty straight forward.

ChrisFol
03-14-2011, 20:38
*Note*

Just re-read my last post. #5 should read: 'bivy' and not tent.

If you have a shelter than can fit into one of the side pockets or use the top compression strap to secure the tent-- then that is were I would pack it, this way you do not need to open your pack to get at the shelter, thus keeping the inside dry if you need to set up camp at during a down pour.

10-K
03-14-2011, 21:44
Check this page out: http://zpacks.com/backpacks/blast.shtml

Look at the last thumbnail - the one with the green pack.

That's how I load my frameless Six Moon Designs Swift pack. Works great.

Joey C
03-14-2011, 21:45
Heavy items should go higher up, and near your shoulders. This is usually your food bag and/or water bladder. Most folks put there sleeping bag/Top Quilt and clothes on the bottom. The rest arrange as you need or see fit.

Mtn Scout
03-14-2011, 23:06
thanks for the info