PDA

View Full Version : Canoe guy in Maine

jyoung
03-14-2011, 17:57
Several youtube videos and photos have a guy with a canoe shuttling people across a lake.. I guess its in Maine. Can anyone tell me about this. just curious after seeing him pop up several times. thanks.

TheChop
03-14-2011, 17:59
It's at a river crossing where a thru-hiker drowned so the ATC puts someone up there to ferry hikers across so there's not a dangerous river crossing on the trail.

Tenderheart
03-14-2011, 18:14
The man is Steve Longley and he runs a hostel in Caratunk, just north of the river crossing. There are specific times that he is available for shuttle across the Kennebec River. This is the official route across the river. There is a white blaze painted on the floor of the Old Town canoe. There is a power plant some twelve miles upriver that may begin generating as need arises. Hence the AT crossing can become treacherous in a hurry. This is a service provided by the ATC. He is a super nice guy and when he paddled me across in 2000, I would have thought that I was his first passenger ever.

litefoot 2000

fredmugs
03-14-2011, 18:29
Steve doesn't do it anymore. You're right though - he is an awesome guy.

Tenderheart
03-14-2011, 18:31
Steve doesn't do it anymore. You're right though - he is an awesome guy.

I'm sorry. I guess my info is a little dated.

litefoot 2000

brian039
03-14-2011, 18:32
His name is Hillbilly Dave. He works at the Northern Outdoors Center when he isn't canoeing people across the Kennebec. Ask him about Warren Doyle.

Many Walks
03-14-2011, 18:47
The canoe crossing is a nice service and although the ATC provides it we gave Steve a nice tip to show our appreciation. I wouldn't tell others what to do, but we believe it's good to support positive services along the trail. We saw way too many taken advantage of or flat out ripped off. The good folks who provide services along the trail are trying to make a living, but I'm sure they do it mostly out of love for the hiking community in spite of the hundreds who come through each year giving them good reason not to. Bottom line, if you appreciate a service, I recommend giving a little extra to show it. Relative to the cost of a thru hike a little tipping along the way is minuscule, but it may help make up for the irresponsible oblivious herd that roams through every year leaving bad feelings in their wake.

jyoung
03-14-2011, 18:58
Wow thats cool.. thanks for the replies. Learn a little each day..

Namaste
03-14-2011, 19:03
Dave is a great guy and I also felt for the free service he was definitely worthy of a nice tip. Just the right thing to do.

peakbagger
03-15-2011, 08:28
The canoe crossing of the Kennebec is not run by a volunteer. He is paid a contract from the Maine Appalachian Trail Club to supply the service during hiking season. That said, I dont think its a particularly lucrative contract so tips like anywhere else are optional.

johnnyblisters
03-15-2011, 08:50
The canoe crossing of the Kennebec is not run by a volunteer. He is paid a contract from the Maine Appalachian Trail Club to supply the service during hiking season. That said, I dont think its a particularly lucrative contract so tips like anywhere else are optional.

Even though the position is not the best paying gig, I don't see anyone giving out tips to the lonely ridgerunners, elbow deep in privy goop.

I think tipping in that situation is not needed. People are paid to do their job, and it turns out that their job is really unique.

JAK
03-15-2011, 09:00
You should NEVER tip a guy in a canoe, especially if he is kind enough to ferry you across a river. It's not nice.

LDog
03-15-2011, 09:13
You should NEVER tip a guy in a canoe, especially if he is kind enough to ferry you across a river. It's not nice.

Ba, dump, bump!

Bare Bear
03-17-2011, 16:42
Is Steve still running his hostle and store there?

attroll
03-17-2011, 22:01
Steve no longer runs the store or the hostel.

weary
03-18-2011, 10:54
The contract to ferry hikers across the Kennebec is awarded by competitive bid, which suggests it is not a very lucrative job. However, I doubt if there are many potential qualified bidders. The big money, I suspect, is in guiding raft trips, not ferrying hikers.