PDA

View Full Version : Platypus vs. Camelback

cyclocrosser
01-11-2005, 19:34
I have a Platypus Big Zip 3 liter hydration pack and am relativly unsatified with it. It isn't doesn't get a very good seal around the hose and the freakn' big zip is hard to close and can't tell you how many times I spilled a load of freshly purified water in pack. How are Camelbacks in comparison, I am thinking of getting one but they weigh more.?

TakeABreak
01-11-2005, 20:09
I used a Patypus the whole way, but I did not use the zip to seal one on my hike (but I used them on day hikes and never had a problem with the zip seal, a zip seal is a couple of ounces heavier than the permanently sealed one), I never had a problem with hose seal either. Platypus is supposed to have a lifetime garuantee, I would take it back to the outfitter and explain to them your problems. Maybe see if you can trade it for a permanently sealed bottom.

Footslogger
01-11-2005, 20:18
I have a Platypus Big Zip 3 liter hydration pack and am relativly unsatified with it. It isn't doesn't get a very good seal around the hose and the freakn' big zip is hard to close and can't tell you how many times I spilled a load of freshly purified water in pack. How are Camelbacks in comparison, I am thinking of getting one but they weigh more.?===============================
For that exact reason I stopped using those "zip" platy's for hydration during the day. I do carry the 4 Liter zip platy to gather water in the campsite at night. But, in my pack I carry the 1.8 Liter Platy with only the cap top (non-zip). The hose exits at an angle that works perfectly for me. I lay it horizontally across the top of my pack and feed the hose over my shoulder.

I used Camelbacks for years but got tired of grappling with their caps. I found them easy to cross thread. I did like the "softer" plastic of the Camelbacks but that was about it.

'Slogger
AT 2003

neo
01-11-2005, 20:20
i prefer platypus non-zip bottom,no problem:sun neo

hikerjohnd
01-11-2005, 21:21
I have a Nalgene 3L TPE Big bore that I have designed a sleeve for and hang on the outside of my pack. I switched to Nalgene because of their guaranteed leakproof pledge - that I have never had to test. My filter snaps into the hose outlet so no chance of spilling a full bladder. I also chose the 3L so I can carry a much or as little as I need at any given time.

orangebug
01-11-2005, 21:34
I use Platypus 2.4 liter bladders, and have some that are 10 years old and doing well. One has delaminated along the bottom.

I have a Big Zip, and only would use it for gathering water for a group at the end of a day. I find a full Platy and a Nalgene are enough for dinner, drinks (non alcoholic) and into the next morning. I also seem to be a magnet for Camelback parts, finding them near every shelter and picnic area. I have only once found an errant Platypus bite valve.

Skeemer
01-11-2005, 21:39
The 1.9 litr Platypus lasted my entire thru-hike in '03. Liked the wide open "zip" top to pour ice thrugh when in town...would keep the water nice and cold for 3 hours or so. Then it sprang a leak last year around N. Woodstock NH. Couldn't find a replacement and the outfitter in Lincoln sold me the Camelback with the outside insulation sleeve (was all he had and sold it to me for $20) I wasn't sure I wanted the insulation pack for the extra weight.

Now I love it. Easier to fill. Keeps it's seal tight and the water stays cold twice as long.

Like 'Slogger I also use a platy colapsable in camp.

Frosty
01-11-2005, 21:50
I have a Platypus Big Zip 3 liter hydration pack and am relativly unsatified with it. It isn't doesn't get a very good seal around the hose and the freakn' big zip is hard to close and can't tell you how many times I spilled a load of freshly purified water in pack. How are Camelbacks in comparison, I am thinking of getting one but they weigh more.?I think people are getting WAY to caught up in ultra-light. To say "my water bank dumps its contents in my pack and I'd like to replace it but one that holds water weighs more" is a bit over the top for me.

Somehow weight is the controlling factor in all equipment decisions. Yesterday I read in a post to cut a small pack towel, that weighed less than an ouce, in half.

Oh, well, it could be worse. Instead of a "how light can you go" obsession, we could be on a "how cheap can you go" binge. Then anyone who suggested a town stop in anything but the cheapest lodging would be lambasted.

Sorry to hijack this thread. To answer the question, I never liked those zip closures. I've always wondered if it woukld burst if I fell on my pack or something.

J.D.
01-11-2005, 22:00
I have a Platypus Big Zip 3 liter hydration pack and am relativly unsatified with it. It isn't doesn't get a very good seal around the hose and the freakn' big zip is hard to close and can't tell you how many times I spilled a load of freshly purified water in pack. How are Camelbacks in comparison, I am thinking of getting one but they weigh more.?
I have had no luck using the Platy... Leaks and FREEZES up very quickly in the cold. No only the tube; but, the bit of water in the threaded cap. Guess I am doing something wrong - so many folks love 'em

Happy Trails,

J.D.

mattyg2
01-11-2005, 23:11
2L Nalgene works great for me...wide mouth screw on top easy to fill and hasn't leaked yet.

chknfngrs
01-12-2005, 07:44
MSR Dromedary bags work best for me. I've had them all; the zip bag doesn't bode well for impact-related stress, whereas the drom bag appears to be tougher.

Bloodroot
01-12-2005, 08:02
Anyone that has used Camelback bladders alone ever had any problems with them leaking besides Footslogger's cross threading problem?

ffstenger
01-12-2005, 09:02
I use a 3L camel back, carried on the outside of my pack in it's sleeve.
I lay it or hang it by me in my tent at night 'cause I drink frequently at
night. 4 years and never had a leak. Showme

Footslogger
01-12-2005, 10:04
Anyone that has used Camelback bladders alone ever had any problems with them leaking besides Footslogger's cross threading problem?===============
Bloodroot ...I should probably qualify my earlier statment such that these were the older Camelbacks with the smaller screw-on caps. I don't have experience with the newer larger capped Camelbacks.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Bloodroot
01-12-2005, 10:32
I use a 3L camel back, carried on the outside of my pack in it's sleeve.
I lay it or hang it by me in my tent at night 'cause I drink frequently at
night. 4 years and never had a leak. Showme
Did you buy a bladder or buy the whole little bookbag/hose setup?

If so, did you take the bladder out of the little backpack or did you just use the whole thing?

Another question, for those who use the hose/bitevalve, have you ever had any problems with the water freezing up in the hose? My only experience using my Camelback in the winter was in NY at -30, and of course it froze rock hard. Will I have to worry about this when temps drop below freezing along the AT? Also, should I leave on the little hose insulator?

The Solemates
01-12-2005, 10:48
I love my Camelbak for day hikes, bike trips, trail running, and general lolly-gagging, but it doesnt have a place in my pack during long-distance hiking. It weighs much more than the platypus and I cannot seem to get rid of that plastic taste, no matter how many times I wash it. Besides that, I do not feel it necessary to have the "immediateness" of a water hose slung across my shoulder while hiking.

For my water line-up, I use either a 1L wide-mouthed recycled soda bottle or a 900mL salvaged Saline bottle (used for administering IV's at the hospital). Additionally, I carry a 1L playtpus if hiking alone, or a 1.5L platypus if hiking with my wife. I like the platypi with the small, screw-on lid, similar to a soda bottle lid. I have never had one leak on me.

hungryhowie
01-12-2005, 11:11
I've used just about every hydration system on the market and, in my opinion, Camelbak wins hands down. Camelbak has a bulletproof bite valve, It never leaks, it's not to difficult to "open", it has good flow, and I've never bitten through one. I've had less than optimal performance from platypus, MSR, and gregory bite valves. Camelbak is easier to take care of than the MSR hydromedaries (because it is clear) and the platypus hydration systems (because it has a larger opening. It is far more durable than the platys, but about the same durability as all of the others.

I use a 100oz camelbak bladder for my main water source. I carry 1 or 2 (depending on how dry it is) 1L platy bottles for when I need a little extra capacity, or for to get cooking water before making a dry camp.

-howie

Kerosene
01-12-2005, 11:14
After my Big Zip Platy exploded in my arms once and a second time in my day pack, I dumped it in favor of a CamelBak screw top which I've never had any problems with.

Footslogger
01-12-2005, 11:37
Camelbak has a bulletproof bite valve, It never leaks, it's not to difficult to "open", it has good flow, and I've never bitten through one. ============================
Damn ...busted. I couldn't agree more, so I have to admit that I take the Camelback bite valve and attach it to the end of my Platy hose.

I was thinking more about the choice I made, way back when, to begin using a Platy instead of my Camelbacks (since I had a closet full of different sized Camelbacks already). I remember now that my initial decision (call me crazy) was based on the dimension of the 1.8 Liter Platypus. I wanted to experiment with laying the bladder horizontally on top of my pack and that model Platy fit perfectly and the cap/hose angled just right in terms of dangling over my shoulder. My experiment was a sucess and I've been using that hydration system and set-up (plus the Camelback mouthpiece) ever since.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Skyline
01-12-2005, 11:55
If you're getting a shuttle from someone driving a sedan, and you have to put your pack in the trunk of his car, either the Platypus or Camelback can leak big time if you place the pack on its side or it gets tossed there while driving. If you can stand it straight up and have it wedged in a way that it is not likely to move, it's good insurance. Better yet, hold it in your lap while sitting in the car's seat.

Footslogger
01-12-2005, 12:03
If you're getting a shuttle from someone driving a sedan, and you have to put your pack in the trunk of his car, either the Platypus or Camelback can leak big time if you place the pack on its side or it gets tossed there while driving. If you can stand it straight up and have it wedged in a way that it is not likely to move, it's good insurance. Better yet, hold it in your lap while sitting in the car's seat.=========================
That's MORE than an excellent point ...and it doesn't matter which type of bite valve you've got. It happened to me a couple times before I got smart. I bought the in-line on/off valve and installed it at the end of the hose about 4 - 5 " from the bite valve. It adds a step to getting a drink but I've never had another "pressure" leak since.

Thanks for mentioning that. It's been so long that I had almost forgotten about it.

'Slogger
AT 2003

cyclocrosser
01-12-2005, 21:40
The extra on/off lever made by Camelback has worked wonders on my platypus.

Abother question: The reason I bought the Big Zip over sealed Platypus is that I wantewd to be able to clean the inside. Don't the sealed Platypus's get gross inside?

Footslogger
01-12-2005, 22:00
The extra on/off lever made by Camelback has worked wonders on my platypus.

Abother question: The reason I bought the Big Zip over sealed Platypus is that I wantewd to be able to clean the inside. Don't the sealed Platypus's get gross inside?===================================
After my thru-hike the platy was a little discolored ...but otherwise not gross. When I got home I put a cap full of bleach inside and filled it with water. Let it set for a day and then rinsed it vigorously. It's crystal clear again and good as new.

'Slogger
AT 2003

SGT Rock
01-12-2005, 22:20
I've been using a platy bladder for years as a water bag before they came out with the packteen thing. It has lasted a lot of trail miles without wearing out. I treat with iodine, so there is a few iodine stains in the bag.

I just use the bladder with a pull top and I only use it for water storage. After drinking from a tube in camp a few times and finding it very inconvenient, I switch to drinking out of a bottle - I'm not a hoser anymore.

MadAussieInLondon
01-13-2005, 11:53
used camelbak bladder (3L) without probs.. I have the filter adapter kit on the end to plug it into my MSR miniworks so I dont need to open it, unless dont filtre and use aquamirra.

anyway, I found no probs with my camelbak, tho we did a few times set the pack down on top of the bite valve. my bite valve locks but Xena's didnt and hers would piss water everywhere :) make sure you get a locking 'big bite' valve.

sgtjinx
01-13-2005, 15:18
I have used both and I keep going back to the camelbak. But I keep the platypus as a back-up for any problems I may have. The platypus replacement bags are cheaper in price than the camelbak.

Sgt Jinx

Nameless
01-13-2005, 16:01
I love my platypus...

But to nothave your bite valve go off in cars and such, cut a hole in the bottom of a film canister and put your hose through it, then put the bite valve back on. Slip the film caniser over the bite valve, put on the lid. The bite valve will never leek, and it will stay clean to boot (cannot tell how many times i put my pack down then got a disguesing bite valve back)

and never get a zipped platy, thats just asking for it to explode. I bought one before i knew there was an option, took it on one trip, and never again. I had no problems with it, it never leaked or anything, but i just didnt trust it, and found the zipper annoying. I've never had trouble cleaning my platty, just rinse it out a bit, if it does start getting slimy Isomething i have never had happen), just add a little bleach water, let sit, rinse well, and DRY completely. If you dry it completely there will be no bleach left (it evaporates)

Pink

highway
01-14-2005, 10:00
Never had a Camelback. The Platypus, though, is light, collapseable and I have been using the narrow-mouth ones(lighter) for years with never a hint of a problem and no leaks-even with a 1/2 L one I have taken on every exercise run/walk for more than 5 years which now has many thousands of miles on it. It is wrinkled, never been cleaned, just rinsed, and when empty I just roll it up and put in front pocket. I doubt I'll try another water container, these work so well.
I once bought one with a wider mouth but never use it-its to heavy.