PDA

View Full Version : What is you'r favorite PCT section?

TheTwanger
03-14-2011, 19:16
I know this might be almost an impossible question, as I have never seen a picture from the PCT that isn't astonishing.. I am going to be traveling in Washington, Oregon, & California this summer and was wondering what suggestions I could get from those experienced with the PCT.. If you had to chose one, two, or even more sections of the PCT to hike which ones would you choose & why? :banana

Creepwood
03-14-2011, 19:58
I haven't hiked the PCT yet so in about 7 months i'll be able to tell you for sure, BUT I lived in South Lake Tahoe for a Winter and the beauty there is astonishing. I really look forward to getting back there. I can hear the Sierra's calling me.

Hutch
03-14-2011, 20:26
The JMT where it overlaps the PCT----The High Sierras will take your breath away !!!!

fiddlehead
03-14-2011, 20:34
Most all of it is my favorite.
The first step,
Sierras,
Lassen,
Shasta,
Trinity Alps,
Carson pass,
Chain of volcanoes in OR
All the bears I saw in WA
The only part i didn't like was .................
I can't remember any bad parts. sorry.

sbhikes
03-14-2011, 20:52
Favorites:
The first section of Washington from Cascade Locks to White Pass
The last section of Oregon from Mt. Hood to Cascade Locks
The last portion of California from Castle Crags to the Oregon border
Southern California

sbhikes
03-14-2011, 20:55
Favorites:
[1] The first section of Washington from Cascade Locks to White Pass
[2] The last section of Oregon from Mt. Hood to Cascade Locks
[3] The last portion of California from Castle Crags to the Oregon border
[4] Southern California

Woops, you asked why.
[1] Goat Rocks is amazing. The rain forest is pretty, spooky and gloomy in a good way.
[2] Mt. Hood is amazing. Lots of food at Timberline Lodge. Eagle Creek trail is amazing.
[3] The trail seems really easy. The Trinity Alps and the Marble Mountains are amazing.
[4] I live in So Cal so I can hike here easily.

Let me also add the section from Sierra City to Burney Falls. Lots of good food through there, beautiful gentle scenery, lots of variety.

Joey C
03-14-2011, 21:39
I'm weird, I liked going up and over San Jacinto, with a stop in Idylwild. This is mostly as a memory place for me. Devils Slide Trail is the first place I ever took my son backpacking. It snowed on us during the night, and he wiggled so much in his sleep I pulled him back under our tarp 3 times! We both had a blast. Years later when I hiked the PCT thru there, I had great memories of that trip. It will always be one of my favorite places.

fiddlehead
03-14-2011, 21:50
I'm weird, I liked going up and over San Jacinto, with a stop in Idylwild. This is mostly as a memory place for me. Devils Slide Trail is the first place I ever took my son backpacking. It snowed on us during the night, and he wiggled so much in his sleep I pulled him back under our tarp 3 times! We both had a blast. Years later when I hiked the PCT thru there, I had great memories of that trip. It will always be one of my favorite places.

Funny, I had a coyote steal one of my shoes while camping on Jacinto in '96.
Took me over an hour to find it in the morning, about 300 yards away from my tent.
That's the last time i kept them outside the tent.
Live and Learn.

BrianLe
03-15-2011, 23:28
I quite liked the area in my own state (WA) in the northern area near Glacier Peak. "The Sierras" is the standard answer, and for darned good reason. In part it depends on what you're looking for. One of the great things about the PCT is the variation you get. There's certainly variation on the AT too, but more so I think on the PCT.

postholer.com
03-16-2011, 01:19
I quite liked the area in my own state (WA) in the northern area near Glacier Peak.

I quite liked the area in your own state as well.

IMO, nothing on the PCT compares to Alpine Lakes/Glacier Peak Wildernesses. They had that totally wild vibe (completely subjective) unlike the dirt, snow, granite and habituated bears of the Sierra.

-postholer

shaggy2004
03-16-2011, 11:57
In order from south to north:

The Laguna's - because you get to see the desert divide for the first time as well as your first look at San Jacinto and San Gorgonio

The poppy fields around Warner Springs

San Jacinto - your first "real" mountains with your first taste of snow and maybe getting a bit lost in said snow. (not the last time this will happen)

Mt. Baden Powell - one of the few true "Summits" on the PCT

Crossing the Antelope Valley "finger" of the Mojave Desert (how often do you get to walk across a desert?)

Walking through the huge wind farm array near Tehachapi. This is supposed to be the largest in the world.

The JMT section through the high Sierras will probably change your life. It's amazing in so many ways.

The Sonora Pass area

Desolation Wilderness, particularly around Dick's Pass. The lakes are beautiful but watch out for the legions of mosquitoes.

Sierra Buttes just north of Sierra City is a pretty nice section.

Lassen is your first volcano and very thermally active area with steam geysers and acidic hot springs.

The Trinity Alps, Russian Wilderness and Marble Mountains in northern CA are easy walking but quite scenic. Plus you have views of the awesome Mt. Shasta for at least a couple of weeks.

Crater Lake, OR

Three Sisters area of Oregon is great. You get to walk around three volcanoes over miles of lava fields and obsidian with views north to Mt. Jefferson.

All the volcanoes you get to walk around: Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Hood, Mt. Adams, Mt. Rainier and Glacier Peak are all great. The trail skirts just below permanent snow fields and glaciers.

The Eagle Creek side route which includes Tunnel Falls is fun. The trail is blasted out of the side of a cliff so you're always looking straight down to the river.

Goat Rocks is a really great section though I didn't think it was nearly the best part of Washington as some have said.

Everything between Snoqualmie Pass and the Canadian boarder is absolutely amazing. It's almost like being back in the Sierras again: big granite mountains, jewel blue lakes, lots of good water. Plus there are huckleberry bushes everywhere which turn bright orange and red in the fall making the landscape unbelievably colorful. It just gets better and better as you go north.

The section of old growth forest just before and after Stehekin is awesome. There are some huge Douglas Firs and Cedars.

Ok, I know that was a lot but this is a great trail. I have little doubt that I will hike it again some day. It has it's tough points too, like water issues, bad mosquitoes, snow travel and rain up north to name a few but the challenges are part of what makes the trip so fulfilling.

I'm jealous of everyone getting ready to start out this year. Have fun. Every step is great. (especially in hindsight :D )