PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Pole Help

downs117
03-15-2011, 00:50
I am shopping for a new pair of hiking poles for my upcoming thru hike. What are you taking or what do you recommend and why? Thanks in advance!

Torch09
03-15-2011, 01:04
I'm starting my hike in a few days and I'll be rockin' my Leki's that I bought at Mountain Crossings on my last hike. Hoping they'll last another 2000+ miles.

Personally, I wouldn't go with the lightest ones you can find. I'm actually trying to add some weight to mine so my arms get a workout. They felt so weak after my last hike.

Mountain Wildman
03-15-2011, 06:26
I will be using my Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Poles, The handles are at a 15 degree angle and supposed to be better on the wrists, The cork handles are less likely to get slimey like the other types of grips, and they have the Flip style locks instead of the twist style.
My next pair will be either the Leki Corklite Aergon Speedlock or Pacer Poles.

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/CategoryID_2232/Context_2200/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_1%3d2858/BKDTREC.html?Hit=1

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/CategoryID_2232/Context_2200/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_1%3d2353/LKICASL.html?Hit=1

http://www.pacerpole.com/

Stearman
03-15-2011, 07:13
http://www.rei.com/product/798009 Leki Cressida Aergon Speedlock -Women's is what I have and I love them. They have already saved my ass/knees/and face this past winter while hiking in ice/snow trail mix. Whatever you go with, I suggest getting the snaplock poles instead of the twist lock poles. The twist locks have not had the best reviews.

sixguns01
03-15-2011, 08:32
I will be using my Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork Trekking Poles, The handles are at a 15 degree angle and supposed to be better on the wrists, The cork handles are less likely to get slimey like the other types of grips, and they have the Flip style locks instead of the twist style.
My next pair will be either the Leki Corklite Aergon Speedlock or Pacer Poles.

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/CategoryID_2232/Context_2200/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_1%3d2858/BKDTREC.html?Hit=1

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/CategoryID_2232/Context_2200/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_1%3d2353/LKICASL.html?Hit=1

http://www.pacerpole.com/

Love the BD Ergo Poles as well. They have foam grip under the cork so you do always have to adjust when going up hill. Lightweight and durable,

SwitchbackVT
03-15-2011, 08:36
I too use the Black Diamond Ergo Cork poles, and love em. Nice and sturdy, and the flick-lock is awesome.

I really prefer cork handles to foam. I find foam gets sort of slimy and slippery on hot days.

Buffalo Skipper
03-15-2011, 10:30
+3 on the Black Diamond Ergo Cork Trekking Poles. I used to use a cheap set of Sojourn poles, which were decent poles. The BDs are 4 oz lighter than the Sojourn each; that's a 1/2 lb less to lift with every pace. I have only put about 20 trail miles on my BDs so far, but they are worlds better.

I posted this elsewhere, but I will repeat briefly. Back in October, I was out at my sister's (Mt. Charleston, outside of 'Vegas), and we did some day hiking, including Cathedral rock, a 1.2 mile trek with over 1000' gain. She had a pair of Lekis, which I used for a short distance. I was stunned at the light weight (compared to my Sojourns), but they had straight, plastic grips. Being used to cork angled grips, I just could not stand the straight grip and the plastic was all wrong. This prompted me to research and I ended up with the Black Diamonds. Never go back.

Yobo
03-15-2011, 10:47
I've used several different brands, mostly Lekis though, and found they all pretty much do what you expect them to do. Working now with a set of PacerPoles and, although they're weird, they appear to make the hiking easier. Supposed to be more ergonomically correct. I find on my practice hikes I really do get moving faster and faster. Expensive -- carbons are about $130 and the wait from Great Britain is more like weeks than days. I haven't found a US importer although there may be one. If you pass me Nobo in April you're welcome to try them out.

Elder
03-15-2011, 11:25
Do you want the Best?
Do you want the most used?
With Trailside parts and repair when needed?
Lekis are what you want.,..but which Lekis?
www.leki.com (http://www.leki.com)
lots of information.

Also many shops (Mountain Crossings) offer a free demo/test drive of Leki's.
Try them and you will know why you buy!

And Yes. I am the Leki rep..see ya'll at most of the events and Trail Days.

Rick500
03-15-2011, 11:25
I have Leki and Black Diamond poles. I like them both, but the flip-lock mechanism on the Black Diamonds is superior to the rotate-lock mechanism on the Lekis, IMO. Otherwise I think they're both just fine.

Next time I need to buy poles, I'm going to try the tilted grip version. Might want to consider that.

malowitz
03-15-2011, 14:39
I started my 2010 thru with carbon fiber pacer poles (pacerpoles.com) which were excellent except my hands could get quite sweaty. I knew if they broke it would be a bear to get fixed since they're out of England. When I broke one coming off Clingman's Dome, I replaced with Leki speedlocks (some aluminum version). I got the replacement parts for the pacer poles and ditched the Leki's. I broke the pacer poles again coming off Mt. Washington (in both cases, they were freak falls/trips - would have dented/bent/crinked aluminum but snapped carbon fiber). I replaced with MSR carbon fibers for the rest of the hike.

My rec is carbon fiber - any brand. I found the weight of the aluminum shocking after using the carbon fiber. Leki's will have superior support and you WILL see Elder multiple times if you thru.

Tenderheart
03-15-2011, 16:41
I recommend not buying any trekking poles. Well, you did ask. Once you're above the glacier line, they are pretty much useless, IMO.

litefoot 2000

Snake Farm
03-15-2011, 16:47
I recommend not buying any trekking poles. Well, you did ask. Once you're above the glacier line, they are pretty much useless, IMO.

litefoot 2000

I dont think there are too many glaciers on the AT lol

I use Black Diamond Spire Elliptic poles. The flick lock is a great feature. You could just go with some old ski poles if you dont wannt spend $100 +.

Tenderheart
03-15-2011, 16:51
No, there aren't any glaciers but there is a glacier line. You know where the rocks start. Where the wooded path pretty much ends. You know in Pennsylvania. Ever hear of the last Ice Age??

litefoot 2000

Tinker
03-15-2011, 17:00
A lot seems to be made of the flicklock mechanism on the BD poles vs. the twist lock on most other brands. I have never had a pole loosen on me, except once when I was in a hurry and didn't crank down on the lock as hard as I normally do. Even then, it wasn't catastrophic - just a slow sinking feeling :D.
My poles for the past 7 years have been a pair of Leki "Fitness Walk" poles. Relatively heavy but solid as iron. I would be concerned about breaking some of the lighter carbon fiber poles - not in normal use, but if I fell on one I'm pretty sure it would delaminate much as the fiberglass poles I started cross-country skiing with. I switched to aluminum poles for that sport about 15 years ago and am still using the same pair, one of which got run over when it fell out of the back of my truck about 6 years ago. I just had to replace the strap and straighten the pole a bit. Aluminum only fails when it's kinked sharply in one spot. I might go for carbon wrapped aluminum for strength, but there's a corrosion problem whenever the two materials make direct contact.

Ashevillian
03-15-2011, 17:10
Seirra Trading Post has Leki's at a great price.

skooch
03-15-2011, 22:02
Wally Mart poles. so far no problems except they rub a blister on my thumbs.

LDog
03-15-2011, 23:02
"You don't have to think fast if you move slow"

When my Grandfather was teaching me to sail, he told me "Never sail faster than you can think."

Rick500
03-16-2011, 00:21
A lot seems to be made of the flicklock mechanism on the BD poles vs. the twist lock on most other brands. I have never had a pole loosen on me, except once when I was in a hurry and didn't crank down on the lock as hard as I normally do. Even then, it wasn't catastrophic - just a slow sinking feeling :D.

I've never had my twist locks let go, but I have had them (several times actually) refuse to tighten back up after I loosened them to adjust my pole lengths. So much so that I have completely stopped adjusting them. They just stay at 120cm all the time now. I'm afraid I won't be able to get them to lock back down.

Admittedly, this may be user error, but I have read the instructions and am not completely inept (depending on who you ask), and I still have trouble.

Elder
03-16-2011, 00:51
Rick500
Try www.leki.com (http://www.leki.com) there is a video in the trekking section that address' that issue.
Basically when you loosen, pull them apart. (main care ..let dry, NO lubrication Ever) the little orange "rocket" that goes up and down the screw threads sometimes sticks at the bottom..just loosen and try again. You sometimes can start it in, tighten, then loosen just enough to slide and retighten.
Do not go past snug, overtightening can cause jamming.
Bring them to Trail Days, NOC, Hiker Bash, or Dahlonega Trail Fest and I'll clean and fix them for you.

Snake Farm
03-16-2011, 17:19
No, there aren't any glaciers but there is a glacier line. You know where the rocks start. Where the wooded path pretty much ends. You know in Pennsylvania. Ever hear of the last Ice Age??

litefoot 2000

Rocks? What are rocks? Do you mean that loud music all the kids are listening to these days?

...I misunderstood, my bad...

Tenderheart
03-17-2011, 07:38
Rocks? What are rocks? Do you mean that loud music all the kids are listening to these days?

...I misunderstood, my bad...

Yeah! All these young whipper snappers running around and listening to loud music.

Toli
03-17-2011, 09:19
Rick500
Try www.leki.com (http://www.leki.com) there is a video in the trekking section that address' that issue.
Basically when you loosen, pull them apart. (main care ..let dry, NO lubrication Ever) the little orange "rocket" that goes up and down the screw threads sometimes sticks at the bottom..just loosen and try again. You sometimes can start it in, tighten, then loosen just enough to slide and retighten.
Do not go past snug, overtightening can cause jamming.
Bring them to Trail Days, NOC, Hiker Bash, or Dahlonega Trail Fest and I'll clean and fix them for you.

See you @ Dahlonega Fest brother :sun... Luv me sum Leki Super Makalu... 15K and NEVER an issue...

JaxHiker
03-17-2011, 11:02
Wally Mart poles. so far no problems except they rub a blister on my thumbs.

That sounds like a problem to me. ;)

I recently picked up a pair of BD Trail Shocks that I really like so far. You can read about them at my blog.

Freedom Walker
03-17-2011, 19:59
I started out with some cheap poles to see if i like them and i did. Now since i have had knee surgery I will want to get a better pair. So thanks for all the suggestions.

Sassafras Lass
03-18-2011, 11:23
[QUOTE=Buffalo Skipper;1129013]+3 on the Black Diamond Ergo Cork Trekking Poles.QUOTE]

+4

They're great for trekking my barely hill backwoods, great for trekking in the Smokies - they saved my butt when we were hiking up Mt. LeConte New Year's Day and I had to get over some waterfalls created by the melting snow by that freak December warm front.

I will never 'not' use trekking poles - not only do they keep my hiking rhythm up, help prevent falls, help me navigate better, but I don't get the 'fat finger syndrome' anymore of walking for hours with my hands by my sides.