PDA

View Full Version : Katadyn Vario

goody5534
03-15-2011, 14:37
I just bought this product and boughtit without researching this forum, Can it be used without concern? Safe drinking and cooking water by just using this system...

fredmugs
03-16-2011, 07:49
I own one and have no concerns. If the water is flowing nicely I normally don't bother to filter. I was shocked to find out it weighs 19 ounces.

No worries.

weary
03-16-2011, 11:53
I just bought this product and boughtit without researching this forum, Can it be used without concern? Safe drinking and cooking water by just using this system...
The device is just a filter and if used properly will probably remove most of the tiny critters that the filter manufacturers have convinced some hikers are found in harmful numbers.

Cooking automatically kills any harmful critters, whether one filters or not. The carbon filter portion of the Vario probably removes some chemicals, though these are not a problem on any but a few low lying portions of the trail and the short superfund site on the ridgeline in Pennsylvania.

Sailing_Faith
11-13-2011, 22:51
I just scored one of these used for $30 dollars. The owner had purchased it new and used it once... and stored it as per the insturctions (diluted chlorine pumped through and then dried).

My recent 2 week hike in the SNP started with iodine tablets, but after a few days with a bad taste in my mouth (and coffee) I was able to borrow a Katadny hiker from a friend and enjoyed WONDERFULLY better water.

It looks like this Katadyn vario water filter (https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=II7&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=X&ei=cXLATvWbNcu2tweFidWlDw&ved=0CHYQvwUoAQ&q=Katadyn+vario+water+filter&spell=1) is better since it has a pre-filter, a main filter, a carbon filter, and a ceramic filter... all for about another 3 oz.

I like that it screws onto the top of my water bottles, and it seems like a good piece14384 of gear. :)

Anyone else using one? Problems to watch for? Suggestions?

Thanks!14383

Northern Lights
11-14-2011, 00:02
I use mine all the time, but the handle on mine broke on my last trip. I contacted Katydn to see if I could buy a replacement handle, they are sending me one free!