PDA

View Full Version : Does the AT connect to Cascades/Barney's Wall in VA

TexasEd
03-15-2011, 14:41
Does the AT connect to the Cascades/Barney's Wall trail in Giles county VA?

My brothers and I will be continuing our multi-year section hike in Virginia this summer starting at Burke's Garden heading North. If we could do a detour to the cascades that would be great.

d.o.c
03-15-2011, 14:45
if u look at maps there are like old forest roads and a couple faint foot trails that can potentialy link u there with a very small bushwack off the AT to the first forest road if i recall corectly but no easy trail and u might wanna be familure with the area and good at reading a map but it is posible..

d.o.c
03-15-2011, 14:46
but the ATC maps have those lil roads drawn on the map and u can see how u would do it.

TexasEd
03-15-2011, 15:12
Thanks, I just spoke with a person at Mountain Lake Hostel there and they said that there really isn't a connection except to use 613 to get down to Mountain lake and then head back up a different road to the trail head. We would definately want to make this the end of one trip or the beginning of another and leave our heavy gear at the hostel and make a day trip out of it.

ratfaceraines
03-15-2011, 21:38
if you find yourself in pearisburg---be happy to shuttle you to cascades/barneys' wall please call don, 540-921-7433(RIDE)

J5man
03-15-2011, 21:58
if you are a movie buff, grab a ride to Mountain Lake resort where Dirty Dancing was filmed. The AT goes close to it.

Hikerhead
03-15-2011, 22:04
if you are a movie buff, grab a ride to Mountain Lake resort where Dirty Dancing was filmed. The AT goes close to it.

Giles County recently passed a law that dancing in public is now a class 1 misdemeanor. No more dirty dancing at Mtn Lake. :(

TexasEd
03-21-2011, 11:11

Ha.

Nobody puts baby in a corner.

Thanks for the tip. My brothers and I do a hike annually and our wives would get a kick out of us taking pictures there.