PDA

View Full Version : Maine In Early Jun

adrifft
03-15-2011, 16:45
We are hiking AT in the Rangely/Stratton, ME, area the first week in June. We are pretty familiar with the area but all of our previous trips (the last 7 years) have been in the last week in June. How much difference does a month make? Can we expect any real difference in the temps? Also, we never had much trouble with black flies that late in June. What about them? Thanks in advance for any comments.

Tinker
03-15-2011, 16:52
The earlier in the year you hike, the more blackflies you will encounter. There will be more, for sure, but they won't be much of an issue higher up in the hills. Temps won't be that much different (5-10 degrees colder at night), but you might have more mud on the trails due to more recent snow melt. That's also one reason the blackflies are more prevalent earlier-more running water to breed in.

10-K
03-15-2011, 19:54
I hiked in Maine last June (summited Katahdin June 25) and the weather was pretty good. I had my 55* Montbell bag and it was enough.

I didn't particularly notice a big infestation of black flies though there were enough for me to know what they are - I carried a head net and it's still in the wrapper to this day.

TJ aka Teej
03-15-2011, 20:14
. How much difference does a month make? In Maine, in June, quite a bit. June 1 compared to June 30: it will be cooler, you'll see a much more open forest, earlier flowers, and less crowded trails. You'll enjoy the difference.

firestarter
03-15-2011, 20:57
campsites and shelters to yourself, love it or hate it. definitely bring a hat to wear in the evening and morning, and long johns just in case (polar fleece pants prob not necessary). a bit chilly for the tubs at little bigelow. skip the bug netting, though bring some a small bottle of ben's. bring a camera for lady slippers! and don't miss the pancake breakfast at pierce pond, if you are going that far!

WalkinHome
03-16-2011, 15:22
I always have my headnet when working on the trail in Maine-always-throughout the entire season. Very cheap and light insurance to have a good day rather than a miserable one. No reason to roll the dice. Come on folks, what does a headnet weigh?

grgs
03-16-2011, 16:48
There is a lot of snow on the ground this year which will make the trails extremely muddy and the brooks will be quite high. Temps at nite will be a lot colder than what you encountered last year, it will be close to freezing on clear nites. If you hit an unusually hot spell you can exspect some blackfly hatches. You will find more big mosquitos at dusk than anything else, in a normal weather pattern.

Monkeywrench
03-16-2011, 17:01
Conventional wisdom is that you don't hike in Maine between Mother's Day and Father's Day.

blitz1
03-17-2011, 05:19
black flies tend to be very regional - they may be dense clouds in one valley, and none at all in the next, even though both are equally wet and boggy. As noted above, they won't trouble you on the ridges, and headnet is a key piece of gear!
all in all, worth doing just for the experience variety.

Bare Bear
03-18-2011, 13:06
Yep I go with 'always carry a headnet'. I have hiked Maine twice in early June and once August, early was much nicer.

MEB
03-18-2011, 14:30
I would be more concerned about lingering snow levels.....A few years ago I did a backpack from Rangeley to CVR over Memorial Day Weekend....we encountered lots of snow still up high coming off the Saddlebacks and the long stretch from Abraham to Sugarloaf....slow going but doable....I don't remember flies really being a problem. Water crossings were also very interesting....Orbeton Stream was up to my waist and cold and the Carrabssett was running high as well.

Hope this helps.

-MEB

Erin
03-19-2011, 01:34
I camped up there the first weekend of June 2004 near Acadia and just about froze and then it rained hard and cold wind for three days, I had never been to Maine. Loved Maine, but what wicked weather. I had to buy a better rain jacket there.