PDA

View Full Version : Fat man in a little coat.. (related, honest)

Deadpete
03-15-2011, 21:19
So, I've got the food for 5 or 6 boxes. Not sure where they will be going yet, still trying to sort through and find a general consensus since nobody seems to agree.

The problem is.. how do I get all this food in the box? Haha :)

In other words, what boxes do/did you use? I have 7x7x6's right now, and they're certainly not big enough.

Thanks
Kevin

weary
03-15-2011, 21:33
So, I've got the food for 5 or 6 boxes. Not sure where they will be going yet, still trying to sort through and find a general consensus since nobody seems to agree.

The problem is.. how do I get all this food in the box? Haha :)

In other words, what boxes do/did you use? I have 7x7x6's right now, and they're certainly not big enough.

Thanks
Kevin
Think weight, not size. You don't want more than 4-5 days of food per mail drop. And that should fit in a 7x7x6" box with a little squeezing.

I would check out the new free PO boxes, which "if it fits, it goes for a fixed price." I haven't used them myself, but they might save a bit of money and make packing easier and more consistent.

Find a box that holds a few days of food and calculate how best to send what you need at the lowest price.

I've found that careful shopping, using sales and coupons, can balance out the cost of postage, and save a lot of town time while on the trail. Post offices tend to be closer to the trail than big box food stores, saving time and reducing expensive food stops. A town with a big box store also offers many other attractive and expensive nuisances.

Deadpete
03-16-2011, 01:39
Well, I'm not where the boxes/food are or I'd add up the calories of what fits in the box. I believe it's safe to say it's fairly calorie dense food and it still doesn't fit. I broke the rule of the internet of host before you post, but I'll get pictures up sometime.

While your buying advice is solid, again not quite what I'm looking for. The food is bought and I don't plan on buying more.

I'm just looking to learn what boxes people use : )

I'm looking around here (https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10052&parent_category_rn=10000002&categoryId=10000033&top_category=10000002&langId=-1&catalogId=10001) right now at the options. I was under the impression the Priority 7x7x6's I had were flat rate but they don't show up under that parameter. My only solution to this might just be to call the PO tomorrow and find out the flat rate fees on the different box sizes and figure out the smallest I can work with.. the 12x12x5.5's will certainly be enough : )

So.. WB'ers. What have you used?

Deadpete
03-16-2011, 01:48
Is there a way to edit my previous post?

Edit..

25 more seconds of poking around taught me that the website tells you how much domestic flat rate is! Score.

7x7x6 = 294 cubic inches

12x12x5.5 = $14.95 = 792 cubic inches
11x8.5x5.5 = $10.95 = 514.25 cubic inches

Ursack Minor = 653.12 cubic inches

Croft
03-16-2011, 05:14
Four days of food should fit in the medium flat rate box; five days if what you have is very compact. This is assuming hiker portions and includes coffee, drink powders and snacks. Six days needs the large flat rate. Repackaging your food in ziplocs or vacuum sealed bags might make it more compact.

Deadpete
03-16-2011, 13:18
Ordered 25 larges and 25 mediums last night so I should be set : )

I planned on repackaging food to save on space and waste, but that'll happen before the boxes get sent out. Will definitely help on the Knorr sides, tortellini bags, Corn Nuts (impulse buy at Sam's, the bbq ones are so good..), possibly a few other things. I'm up in the air about repackaging the Ramen.

I also planned on including a small hand sanitizer, a single blade disposable razor, nail clippers, mini Bic, and a small re-up on bandages/Ibuprofen/Immodium with each box. And anything else someone at home might want to throw in to be nice..

Hm, can hand sanitizer and mini Bics be mailed?

leaftye
03-16-2011, 13:28
Don't use the flat rate boxes if you're shipping from home. It's more expensive by about 30%.

Deadpete
03-16-2011, 13:38
More expensive than going by just the weight of the box? I guess I'll have to check that when I get one and pack it up.

Although, I'm going to assume that might not be the case for me. Possibly if someone's sending themself fancy freeze dried or dehydrated food. I'm going to have Nutella, peanut butter, Snicker bars, other types of bars, gorp, etc. They're going to weigh out pretty heavy.

leaftye
03-16-2011, 13:46
The priority mail type a & b boxes are cheaper for the weights you'll be using.

Blissful
03-16-2011, 18:35
check for extra boxes at grocery stores, office supply stores, etc.

swjohnsey
03-18-2011, 09:50
You can get free priority boxes in various sizes from USPS. Go online and establish an account. They even ship 'em for free. It does take awhile.

Montana Mac
03-18-2011, 10:25
You can get free priority boxes in various sizes from USPS. Go online and establish an account. They even ship 'em for free. It does take awhile.

To clarify that - they ship the new empty boxes to you for free.

I used these for my mail drops. I pre labeled them and left them with my sister, who was my support person, along with a schedule of mailing dates.

I found I was making better miles then I originally thought so I would just call my sister and tell her when to mail the box. They normally would arrive at the destination within three days but I allows allowed more time.

Worked well for me. When I would pickup the box I would also mail out the maps/guide book pages and anything else I no longer needed back to my sister.

Deadpete
03-18-2011, 12:11
Ok, I didn't perfectly specify in my previous post that the larges and mediums I ordered were USPS boxes.. but that's what I ordered online : ) So, no need to go scavaging for any as long as the sizes work which they definitly should. I've known about ordering boxes from them for awhile and have a box full of 7x7x6's, but they're much too small.

Mac.. Yea, I've been planning to just leave the boxes at home with the food in/by them not labelled or on a schedule. An address is easy enough to write on at a later date.

leaftye
03-18-2011, 13:52
So you're still going to use the more expensive flat rate boxes?

Deadpete
03-18-2011, 15:20
Leaf.. A box is just a box. Having 25 sent to my house is still easier and cleanlier than trying to scavenge for others from grocery stores or the whatnot.

Like I said before, when the boxes arrive I will test out your statements by getting it weighed/priced at the PO with a full load. If you were correct of course I won't mail them flat rate that's silly.. I need those extra two bucks for some Ramen or something : ) I'll just cover the box with a paper bag or something.

leaftye
03-18-2011, 17:58
Leaf.. A box is just a box. Having 25 sent to my house is still easier and cleanlier than trying to scavenge for others from grocery stores or the whatnot.

Like I said before, when the boxes arrive I will test out your statements by getting it weighed/priced at the PO with a full load. If you were correct of course I won't mail them flat rate that's silly.. I need those extra two bucks for some Ramen or something : ) I'll just cover the box with a paper bag or something.

A box isn't just a box. As with the flat rate system, you still need to use either the type A or B boxes. I checked it out for the PCT. Mailing from San Diego to the northernmost point is cheaper unless you're putting really heavy things in your boxes. If I remember correctly, you'd have to have over 17 pounds. You have more things to be worried about than the cost of shipping if you're planning to carry more than 17 pounds of food. I don't know why I'm trying so hard to convince you. I can only lead a horse to water...

theoilman
03-19-2011, 19:23
Nothing flammable in the mail. Bic and sanitizer both are very. You can easily buy along the way in any town at any convenience store, bound to be one between the trail and post office everywhere.

Deadpete
03-23-2011, 15:51
oilman: They aren't shippable priority. They are shippable parcel. You have to have the hand sanitizer sealed in a plastic bag, and the lighter's flint needs to be rendered unsparkable. So, I'd imagine a strip of tape over the flint and inside a plastic bag or something. Also with the lighter you need to write on the box something like "Lighter for Cigarette." I didn't think to ask the lady if anything needs to be written for the (alcohol based) hand sanitizer.

leaf: I'll start off by saying I don't know what the type A or B difference is, and I forgot about that when I went to the PO. But concerning the flat rate prices for the boxes I got off the internet..

Large costs $15 to ship.
Medium costs $10.

I had the lady show me the prices to ship close to the southern and northern termini since those are most likely the furthest points from me, just to get a feeling. My food weighs 8 pounds.

To 30533:
Parcel 8lb = 11.24
Parcel 11lb = 12.36

To 04410:
Parcel 8lb = 12.55

So, since my stuff most likely doesn't fit in the medium flat rate box, you are correct. Flat rate is not the cheapest. If it did fit in the medium though flat rate would be cheaper. Unless there is another method besides parcel you're referring to?

But since I confirmed I can't ship a Bic or Purell flat rate, I'll be using parcel anyways. :)

leaftye
03-23-2011, 16:03
Ah, yes, the Bic and Purell at home must be important enough to put aside the option of shipping 20 pounds via priority mail in a free box the size of the flat rate large box for only $8 from Columbus to 30533. Too bad the post office doesn't provide free boxes for parcel post.

Deadpete
03-23-2011, 18:41
As someone attempting to learn I should have looked up the regional rate A/B system when you brought it up. As someone attempting to teach you should have pointed this out/explained better instead of sarcastic one-liners. IMO of course.

This regional rate system is..
1. Something I've never heard of.
2. Something nobody at the two PO's I use has ever attempted to explain to me, or others who I've watched ship boxes. (Others including both of my parents, and friends selling things on eBay) I've shipped many boxes out that could have benefitted from using this and not parcel or flat rate. Seems ignorant of them?
3. Something I would feel safe in assuming or betting that many others also don't know about.

Concerning the flat rate boxes.. or,
Too bad the post office doesn't provide free boxes for parcel post.
I knew it wasn't kosher to cover them with paper and was willing to live with that, but with some googling have found that they sometimes recognize boxes even after they've been covered with paper and send them back. Not something I'm willing to have happen.

If we pretend this is a fun, hypothetical campfire discussion..
Sure, the few extra dollars and days could be worth it to be able to ship the lighter and hand sanitizer. The point of having this food and these boxes premade is for ease along the trail. It's not for dietary concerns, to spice things up, etc. So.. not having to walk or hitch to an extra place? Could easily make up for it. As I've never been to these towns, I obviously do not know in advance. And what if the store doesn't have certain colors? Could mean a lot (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&biw=1596&bih=715&q=bic+color+superstition&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=f9f9cf7969c0f490) to some people :)

leaftye
03-23-2011, 19:20
I'm glad you've figured it out. I tried nudging you a couple times, but you didn't seem interested in learning something new otherwise I would have gone into all the detail you could want. So here are the downsides to this shipping method.

1. You have to weigh your box.
2. It does not appear the label can be prepared at the post office desk, so most likely you have to print it at home.
3. Because of #2, the post office probably won't carry the boxes so you have to order online.
4. As with any priority mail shipping, you can't mail anything that they call a fuel.

As for your case, lighters last a very long time. A little hand sanitizer can go a long way if you also use soap, and fortunately soap can be mailed via priority mail.

Sierra Echo
03-23-2011, 19:44
Ah, yes, the Bic and Purell at home must be important enough to put aside the option of shipping 20 pounds via priority mail in a free box the size of the flat rate large box for only $8 from Columbus to 30533. Too bad the post office doesn't provide free boxes for parcel post.

Why should the Post Office provide free boxes for parcel post??? They don't make very much money off it. I think they should cut parcel post out!

leaftye
03-23-2011, 20:15
Why should the Post Office provide free boxes for parcel post??? They don't make very much money off it. I think they should cut parcel post out!

No one said they should, certainly not me. If you would actually read the entire thread, you would see that I have recommended priority mail all along and easily recognized the sarcasm and exasperation in that post.

Deadpete
03-23-2011, 21:31
Oh trust me I'm interested in learning, I guess I just didn't recognize or want to recognize when I need to look something up.

I guess I'll call them tomorrow to see if they can do the label or not.

In this weight range I imagine our digital bathroom scale might work, hopefully it's accurate though as we don't have a postal scale.

I ordered boxes as soon as I found out what the method actually was : )

Yea I don't smoke so the lighter should last a while, but meh for less than a dollar each I would have included one and gifted it or hiker boxed it if I didn't need it. I plan on carrying a small container of Dr. Bronner's but I also plan on using hand sanitizer at a higher rate than others. Mental security..

Sierra Echo
03-23-2011, 21:41
No one said they should, certainly not me. If you would actually read the entire thread, you would see that I have recommended priority mail all along and easily recognized the sarcasm and exasperation in that post.

You're right. My bad. Priority Mail rocks. But remember the only parcels the PO guarantees delivery timewise is express mail. But you wouldn't need that for doing mail drops.

fredmugs
03-24-2011, 11:34
Once you figure out what and where you are shipping your boxes I would recommend NOT sealing them up, going to the post office, and let them tell you what the cheapest mode is. Then seal it up and ship it. I thought the flat rate box had to be the best deal once and I ended up having to tear the box open and sticking it in a different box to save a few $$$.

Not sure if this is still true or not but if you send it to yourself general delivery I believe they will forward it to another PO free of charge. I learned that the hard way after doing a long hot road walk to get a package I really didn't need only to find out they would have forwarded it down the trail for me.

leaftye
03-24-2011, 13:02
Once you figure out what and where you are shipping your boxes I would recommend NOT sealing them up, going to the post office, and let them tell you what the cheapest mode is.

You don't need to go to the post office if you live in a place that gets home delivery. You can see the costs while at home by going to the USPS website. A scale may be required, but a cheap $10 scale is sufficient and most likely less expensive than going to the post office over and over. Getting it done at home means that you can have the postman pick it up so that you don't have to do any driving.

I thought the flat rate box had to be the best deal once and I ended up having to tear the box open and sticking it in a different box to save a few $$$.

I believe we've already established that flat rate service will never be the best deal for mail drops.

Not sure if this is still true or not but if you send it to yourself general delivery I believe they will forward it to another PO free of charge.

I believe this is only for priority mail, to include the old flat rate service and the new regional rate service. Either way, you must not take receipt of the box. So if you go to the post office to request your package be forwarded, make sure that you do not actually take the box from the postal worker. They may be lenient, but they don't have to be. I've heard of one hiker being burned by this policy. Be absolutely clear that while you may want to identify the box to be forwarded, you do NOT want to take receipt of it. That essentially means that you are correct regarding general delivery. This brings up another thing. Be sure to mark your boxes so that you know what's in it. If you have a food box and another bounce box and want to forward the bounce box, you want to be able to identify which is which by looking at it from a couple feet away without touching it.