PDA

View Full Version : Rain pants

Bonjour
03-15-2011, 22:06
I'm not crazy about taking rain pants because of the weight and poor ventilation. One option is to skip them all together. I'm also wondering how well it would work to make a rain skirt out of a trash bag. Your legs would probably get wet but you shorts would hopefully stay dry. Does any one have experience with this?

Skidsteer
03-15-2011, 22:33
I don't take rain pants for the rain so much as I take them for the wind.

They're excellent for when you stop hiking and set up camp. Some days it's nice to have them for hiking too.

Monkeywrench
03-15-2011, 22:36
I think a trash bag rain skirt would get ripped to shreds pretty quickly. That's just a supposition, mind you, as I haven't actually tried it.

I use a silnylon rain skirt, and think it is far superior to rain pants. It covers down below my knees, so I can wear shorts and it keeps my knees from getting too cold and stiffening up. It weighs next to nothing, and ventilates well so I don't get all sweaty underneath.

LDog
03-15-2011, 22:37
I intend to carry them for the shoulder seasons when snow and freezing rain is in the forecast. After that, I intend to wear thin nylon trousers or shorts that will dry quickly.

lori
03-15-2011, 23:30
I have rain pants. Think I've hiked with them once, when it was very cold, and I'd already been hiking in rain so my pants were wet - my nylon pants dried while I was hiking underneath the rain pants, probably because it was so cold and my body heat was enough under those circumstances to dry them.

Otherwise they come along so I can change into base layer in camp, put on the rain paints and jacket and stay warm and dry around camp. The wet clothes, if it's too cold to dry them out while I'm sleeping by putting them next to my body, go in a ziploc bag and then in with me, so they are warm in the morning when I put them on wet for more hiking.

RGB
03-15-2011, 23:35
I use my ski pants, Columbia Titanium something or another. Very lightweight and do the job.

vamelungeon
03-16-2011, 00:00
What's with all the "let's make rain gear out of trash bags" posts?
We have "convenience centers" here where we have to take our trash. My wife has decided this is my job. She overstuffs the trash bags, I haul them to the center in my truck, pick up the bag and prepare to give it a mighty heave into the bin and it splits wide open scattering my garbage all over the parking lot. The attendant reluctantly helps me pick it up.
Trash bags will fail at precisely the moment when you need them most. Real rain gear will keep out rain and doesn't cost a lot. Go to the very back row of sporting goods at Wally World and you can find real rain gear for cheap prices, or order it off the internet. I use an old nylon GI poncho that is a tad heavy but performs other duties as well as keeping me and my pack dry.

tweezer159
03-16-2011, 00:45
i use a rain skirt made out of a trash compactor bag - just a bag and a couple pieces of velcro - its pretty nice for less than a dollar.

wcgornto
03-16-2011, 01:52
I walked from Maine to Georgia with no rain pants. I got rained on a lot, but my REI Sahara pants dried out quickly whenever the rain stopped.

I went without a rain jacket from Hanover, NH to Daleville, VA. It was warm enough to just get soaked in the rain and then dry out. I did have, and most definitely did need my rain jacket from mid-October through the end of November in Southern VA, TN, NC and GA. But even then, rain pants weren't needed or missed.

attroll
03-16-2011, 10:35
I carried rain pants with me at the beginning of my thru hike last year but it was not for the rain. I carry them for cold and the wind protection. Once the weather warmed up I no longer carry them.

chelko
03-16-2011, 12:20
I carry marmot PreCip rain pants. Very light and very durable. I only carry them if temps are below 50 degrees. Above that i just use my REI sahara pants that dry out very fast. I needed those rain pants a few weeks back hiking from US 19 E to Hampton TN they were an added bonus keeping the chill out during the evenings.

Mountain Mike
03-16-2011, 14:13
I carry rain pants & consider them as part of layering system. thermals short & rain pants for cold weather can get me through about the coldest weather AT can throw at me in early season. Also gives me something to wear while doing laundry.

dragoro
03-16-2011, 14:35
Yep, I use rain pants as well. Both for rain and when it's cold to help stay warm.

Bonjour
03-16-2011, 21:56
As usual, several answers for one question. Thanks for your suggestions, as a result I'm on the hunt for rain pants. They are also handy on laundry day.

Bare Bear
03-17-2011, 15:23
Frog Togs are cheap and very light, lasted a thru for me.

Freedom Walker
03-17-2011, 20:11
I carry marmot PreCip rain pants. Very light and very durable. I only carry them if temps are below 50 degrees. Above that i just use my REI sahara pants that dry out very fast. I needed those rain pants a few weeks back hiking from US 19 E to Hampton TN they were an added bonus keeping the chill out during the evenings.

I bought a pair of these last year and wondered if I would ever use them. i am glad I read this post because according to what you say they are helpful to stay warm.

aquaman1208
03-17-2011, 20:31
This silnylon rain skirt sounds interesting. Must be self made. Any guidelines?

earlyriser26
03-17-2011, 20:36
I carry rain pants only when it is fairly cold. That is what they are good for, the cold, not rain. I also use them as an additional layer when it is cold for sleeping (provided it didn't rain and get my rain pants wet - I HATE THAT)

Monkeywrench
03-17-2011, 23:30
This silnylon rain skirt sounds interesting. Must be self made. Any guidelines?

This is the one I have:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/rainwrap.asp

BrianLe
03-18-2011, 13:15
I think rain pants out of trash compactor bag is precisely the way to go if you're not sure. I did this for part of the AT last year, the few times I wanted anything like this, and they lasted a lot better than I expected. It's a cheap way to find out if you like the rain skirt approach.

I started the trail in February last year, and despite a cold start, very rarely wanted anything like this (rain pants or skirt). Rain pants are almost always too warm for me to hike in. Rain chaps are a little better, and lighter, but if not wearing a poncho (and not fashion conscious ...) I'd rather the rain skirt. Unless it's pretty cold, though, often it's fine to "just get wet".

If you do decide you like the skirt approach, an alternative to the ULA version is one by zpacks.com (http://zpacks.com/accessories/cloudkilt.shtml), with a cuben option for a very lightweight piece of kit.

If you're interested in the idea of rain chaps, consider a dri ducks (or frogg toggs) suit, and cut up the pants part of the suit; with pretty minimal sewing this is an inexpensive way to get a set of pretty lightweight rain chaps to try out. I now have a set of I think spectra fabric chaps like these MLD models (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=77), but my dri ducks set is handy on occasion around home when I want to toss in something light in my pack (or sometimes just in a pocket) for a day hike or something like that.