PDA

View Full Version : looking for a large torso backpack

twsmith001
03-16-2011, 00:28
hey guys hope someone can help me out....my torso measurment is 23 and im having trouble finding a pack that size....the closest i can find is up to 22....and there usually bigger packs in the 90L range....anyone know about a pack that is in that size(large volume doesnt really make any diffrence to me just wont compress anything:D) or would a 21 or 22 torso measurment work......i do get lower back pain from time to time and i was hoping to minimize this but if i cant then oh well ill just have to endure it:mad:

BobTheBuilder
03-16-2011, 01:38
I have a long torso and always struggled with pack fit. ULA got me one that fit my long torso, and that alone makes it the most comfortable, best riding pack I have ever had.

stranger
03-16-2011, 03:19
hey guys hope someone can help me out....my torso measurment is 23 and im having trouble finding a pack that size....the closest i can find is up to 22....and there usually bigger packs in the 90L range....anyone know about a pack that is in that size(large volume doesnt really make any diffrence to me just wont compress anything:D) or would a 21 or 22 torso measurment work......i do get lower back pain from time to time and i was hoping to minimize this but if i cant then oh well ill just have to endure it:mad:

Just so you know...your torso length is not 23 inches, you have been measured wrong, I don't need to see you to know this...

moytoy
03-16-2011, 03:29
Just so you know...your torso length is not 23 inches, you have been measured wrong, I don't need to see you to know this...
So you are saying a 6"9" person for example cannot have a 23" torso length. I'm only 5' 10" and I've been measured several times at 21". Can you explain?

twsmith001
03-16-2011, 12:44
i am 5' 9" and i can tell you thats my torso length....everytime i get in a car behind someone else i have to scoot the seat way up....even people a good three to four inches shorter than I.....im just a freak that way

MEB
03-16-2011, 13:40
My torso is just over 22 inches and I have had great luck with the Gregory Z65 and Z55....both come in large.

Hope this helps and happy shopping!

-MEB

twsmith001
03-16-2011, 15:05
thanks meb.....but those are a little bit out of my price range....trying to stay under 150......but i might end up getting it if i cant find anything else though

stranger
03-17-2011, 06:16
So you are saying a 6"9" person for example cannot have a 23" torso length. I'm only 5' 10" and I've been measured several times at 21". Can you explain?

Yes I can explain...you have been measured wrong, you are probably sitting right around 18-18.5 inches

If you have a long torso for your height...you might, might be closer to 19-19.5 inches.

Abnormally long, perhaps 20 inches

What's your inseam by the way?

stranger
03-17-2011, 06:26
Sorry...I know sometimes i come off gruff at times, a personality flaw :)

Seriously though, most torso's are measured about 2-3 inches too long in my experience. Take the time to get measured properly, it's extremely unlikey that someone at 5 foot 10 would come anywhere near 21 inches, extremely unlikely.

If this angers you please be aware I'm not the person who measured you, and if for some bizarre reason I'm wrong in your case, I'm not wrong with the next 100 people who are told they have a torso length 2-3 inches longer than they do.

Packfitting is a dying art...has been for 10 years, this is the result.

moytoy
03-17-2011, 06:28
[QUOTE=stranger;1129963

What's your inseam by the way?[/QUOTE]
my inseam is 291/2 or 30 inches

stranger
03-17-2011, 07:39
5'10" with a 30 inch inseam, you sound very similar to my build but with slightly shorter legs...I would be weary of a 21 inch torso measurement with that information...but it's not as bad as originally thought.

The thing is...I can only go by my experience, and that's about 3000-4000 fits, and all I can say is that I've only see a few torso lengths over 20 inches, maybe about 20, perhaps 30.

Even with males well over 6 feet in height, this is rare, usually the difference between someone who is 6 and 6'6 is their legs, torso's don't vary nearly as much as people might think.

As a rule, 75% of adult males will be around 17.5-19.5 inches, about 20% will be under 17.5 and the remaining 5% will be over 19.5

Women by contrast will usually fit the same mold, just subtract two inches off each measurement.

Another hint, the top of the hipbone is only an inch or two below the bottom of your ribcage, many times the reason people are measured wrong is due to love handles and the packfitter not wanting to 'dig in' and find the true top of the hip bone, so they settle for the sides of the hips, perhaps where the person is wearing their pants.

Not always but very, very common

camper10469
03-18-2011, 00:48
A WB friend named MYKL at [email protected] (javascript:sendAdd(116," ");) is selling his 2009 Aether 60 large for $100. I tried it on thinking I can use it, but it was way too big for me even adjusted to it's shortest back length, I'm 5'8'

gonehikn
03-19-2011, 03:19
I have a long torso also and have tried several packs. The best fitting one for me so far is a Gregory Z65 in a large.

Zeno Marx
03-19-2011, 17:34
Go to McHale's backpack site and use his measuring page. Not rocket science, but his method of measuring is a lot less screwupable than the others I've seen.

http://www.mchalepacks.com/packs/detail/measure.htm

ashevillain
03-19-2011, 22:19
Granite Gear packs in the Long Torso size work very well for me. They are rated 21-25".

TFOS
03-19-2011, 22:25
Max is a big guy with a long back (don't have an exact measurement) and for him we chose the Kelty Coyote. He tried it on with weight at the store and found it to be a good fit and very comfortable. It's a bit heavy though, which might not be a trade-off you're willing to make.

stranger
03-21-2011, 00:26
Go to McHale's backpack site and use his measuring page. Not rocket science, but his method of measuring is a lot less screwupable than the others I've seen.

http://www.mchalepacks.com/packs/detail/measure.htm

Yes, read this...this is an excellent resource. It reinforces my earlier point about people thinking their torso is 2-3 inches longer than it really is.

Thanks for posting this.

Mountain Wildman
03-21-2011, 00:39
Mystery Ranch packs have one of the best suspensions systems out there and produce very high quality backpacks, You can select your waistbelt size and yoke size and the suspension is designed to be adjusted by you for your torso length.
The shoulder strap assembly is adjusted by removing the frame sheet and sliding it down between the yoke and the pack, That separates the velcro and you then slide the yoke up or down to adjust it to you, When you have the yoke adjusted to fit, you remove the framesheet and the velcro secures the adjustment.
No measurements necessary.
The Trance XXX was designed by Dana Gleason and Mountain Crossings, It has the above suspension design, weighs a little over 4 lbs, 4200 ci. (69 liters) and can easily handle 50 lb. loads comfortably.

Ghatandy
10-08-2018, 11:55

As you affirm ...your torso length is not 23”...... I can only assume you’ve never met anyone from Germany or of Pattsdeutsch descent. Sitz Geist I believe Opa would say

AllDownhillFromHere
10-08-2018, 13:12

And ... ignored.

George
10-08-2018, 22:03
no torso difference huh - at the same hight my pants were 30-36 , my father in laws were 36-30

oh, thats right one of us was a cone head