PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry your ground coffee?

dep
03-16-2011, 14:33
Hello. When I do my section hike next month, I'm going to take my GSI Outdoors Collapsible JavaDrip Slim Drip Coffee Maker thingy (http://www.rei.com/product/798277). Better than instant, and not much extra to carry.

I wonder. How do you recommend I carry my ground coffee? Something vacuum sealed? some of those bottles seem a little bulky. Have any other suggestions?

kanga
03-16-2011, 15:41
i just use a quart freezer ziplock.

Panzer1
03-16-2011, 15:45
A zip lock bag should do just fine. What will you do with the used coffee grounds?

I carry instant coffee. Not a good but lighter and can carry a bigger supply.

Panzer

Toolshed
03-16-2011, 18:00
Double ziplock.
I use coghlin single cup filters, an MSR mugmate or Cup-pourri, depending on my mood and season.. I don't worry about packing the coffee, it won't go bad...

Skidsteer
03-16-2011, 18:07
Ziploc bag works fine.

What will you do with the used coffee grounds?

I wave them under the noses of people that bring instant coffee.

EastCoastFeastCoast
03-16-2011, 18:11
Starbucks VIA Ready Brew is pretty tasty as well.

Camping Dave
03-16-2011, 18:48
Ultralight style:

Loose in the bottom of my pack. Then I shake some out into my Ti cup of cold water (or bum some hot water off other hikers stupid enough to carry a stove), stir, let settle, and enjoy the mmm mmm goodness while critiquing everyone else's heavy gear choices.

Hikes in Rain
03-16-2011, 19:51
Used coffee grounds? If there's a fire ring, spread them thinly in it. They'll dry out and since they're woody material originally, they'll burn nicely in the next fire. Otherwise, add more water and stir (to suspend the grounds) and fling widely into the vegetation away from campsites.

OldStormcrow
03-16-2011, 20:40
No sense in over-thinkin' things......just put it in a baggie......

EastCoastFeastCoast
03-16-2011, 22:24
Ultralight style:

Loose in the bottom of my pack. Then I shake some out into my Ti cup of cold water (or bum some hot water off other hikers stupid enough to carry a stove), stir, let settle, and enjoy the mmm mmm goodness while critiquing everyone else's heavy gear choices.

Cup? Just swirl it around in your mouth.

4Bears
03-17-2011, 09:04
Cups? Ground coffee? Go super-ultra-light just take 2 coffee beans per day to chew on while you make miles down the trail. LOL

300winmag
03-18-2011, 21:55
I got a box of sealable paper tea bags for my coffee fix. Got 'em at a kitchen & cooking store. I grind it at home and fill the tea bags W/ one heaping tablespoon of coffee.

Tinker
03-18-2011, 22:33
I collect all sorts of plastic containers and have a box full of them from years of collecting. I use whatever size is appropriate for the length of trip I'll be taking. One of my favorites is an old orange juice bottle which held about 12 fl.oz. and weighs 1oz.

mweinstone
03-19-2011, 06:31
Used coffee grounds? If there's a fire ring, spread them thinly in it. They'll dry out and since they're woody material originally, they'll burn nicely in the next fire. Otherwise, add more water and stir (to suspend the grounds) and fling widely into the vegetation away from campsites.

wrong.bad. no. dont. stop. wait. fire rings aint your trash can. ever hear of visual pollution? how bout food smells atracting animals? how bout running into matthewski when leaving such trace? as far as broadcasting grounds in vegetation? no. you wanna leave no trace? learn to do that. you want trouble, just toss coffie grounds all over every single campsite for miles and miles and thousands and thousands of hikers for years and years. this is the AT. IT AINT PRISTEEN WILDERNESS IF YOU HADNT NOTICED. its a thin strip of lovingly kept hope.

4Bears
03-19-2011, 10:18
wrong.bad. no. dont. stop. wait. fire rings aint your trash can. ever hear of visual pollution? how bout food smells atracting animals? how bout running into matthewski when leaving such trace? as far as broadcasting grounds in vegetation? no. you wanna leave no trace? learn to do that. you want trouble, just toss coffie grounds all over every single campsite for miles and miles and thousands and thousands of hikers for years and years. this is the AT. IT AINT PRISTEEN WILDERNESS IF YOU HADNT NOTICED. its a thin strip of lovingly kept hope.

+10 on that thought part of the reason I drink tea while hiking, much easier clean up and disposal for me anyway.

endubyu
03-19-2011, 11:12
come on now! i'm all for LNT but coffee grounds are nutrient rich for plants, they repel ants and some say fleas. I throw my coffee grounds in my flower beds at home. you're not gonna see 'em - no eye sore. And if you're THAT concerned with LNT, leave the hiking poles home. every time you ram that stick in the ground you leave a trace don't ya? especially when it's a rock you're scratching - that will not recover in our lifetime. coffee grounds strown, yeah i'm not seeing a problem with that one.

mweinstone
03-20-2011, 05:24
then why not brodcast your poop? and how bout spagettie water? might as well throw that as far and wide as possible right? all the food we dont want can just be put on young needy spagetti starved plants for nutrients. right? how bout nitrogen rich nail clippings? can we just toss everything we bring into the woods anywhere? and can unwanted reading material be left around? its paper so its good for the garden compost right?

some peoples knowlage is so small it can fit on the head of a pin on the head of another pin. some peoples knowlage is so theoretical, it only exists in labratorys. some peoples knowlage is so small , even the hedron colider canot colide with it. too small.

blitz1
03-20-2011, 06:30
then why not brodcast your poop? and how bout spagettie water? might as well throw that as far and wide as possible right? all the food we dont want can just be put on young needy spagetti starved plants for nutrients. right? how bout nitrogen rich nail clippings? can we just toss everything we bring into the woods anywhere? and can unwanted reading material be left around? its paper so its good for the garden compost right?

some peoples knowlage is so small it can fit on the head of a pin on the head of another pin. some peoples knowlage is so theoretical, it only exists in labratorys. some peoples knowlage is so small , even the hedron colider canot colide with it. too small.

LOL packing out spaghetti water?? Now THAT's LNT! I wouldn't like coming into a shelter or campsite and seeing a pile of coffee grounds in the fire pit, and this may just encourage slob campers that it's ok for them to dump their trash in the fire pit, which way too many already do. But if the coffee grounds were stirred into the ashes then who can see them anyway, and what harm is done? Seems pretty minor compared to other issues. Personally I'd just carry the grounds out along with the other left-over garbage I usually end up picking up along the way (I use the single serve coffee bags, which I pack out, and I'd be unhappy to find these in a fire ring though I suppose one could argue they burn up).
Not to get off topic, but one of my pet peeves is people who brush their teeth right by the shelter/campsite and spit on the plants or ground, leaving these big white toothpaste patches that seem to last a long time. Much more visible and irritating than coffee grounds, IMO.

endubyu
03-20-2011, 07:26
when an apple falls from a tree, are we to carry it out? If we pluck an apple from a tree in an orchard and eat it there, are we obligated to carry the core out of the orchard? I ask that in earnest, what do you think? you're correct, knowledge is key - knowing what is beneficial to the environment and what is detrimental to the environment and acting accordingly. is poop beneficial or detrimental? nail clippings? spaghetti water? if its brought out, where will it go? what did humans do before we got so smart? before running water and cities were created, when we were part of our environment, what did we do? If we pass an animal along the trail that's died of natural causes, do we leave it? carry it out? bury it? i'm truly curious - personally I leave those where they lay - what do yall do? what do bears do with their crap? deer? horses? since my knowledge can't fill the head on a pin on the head of a pin - enlighten me? oh and what did you do with your trekking pokes?

no i don't advocate leaving trash everywhere.

Croft
03-20-2011, 07:43
I'm with you matthewski. Pack it out. Too many people on the trail to indiscriminately broadcast even degradable stuff. I followed a couple hikers last year for hundreds of miles that left their eggshells in the fire ring. Drove me nuts.

randyg45
03-20-2011, 09:02
I have a beard, and sort of shed. Should I be concerned about the trail of whiskers I leave?
You're right, of course, about those nasty nail clippings. We also shouldn't clean our fingernails; doing so would undoubtedly spread dreaded human DNA, and maybe even *gasp* a human blood cell or two, certain to draw every slathering starving beast fo miles and miles.
I am looking into a full-body latex suit to keep from leaving epithelials.

While one is unintelligibly discussing the supposed lack of intelligence of others, one might reflect on the fact that it is the hadron collider, and for that matter is almost always referred to by its full place name: Large Hadron Collider.

Selah.

Egads
03-20-2011, 09:23
I don't need coffee to hike

Skidsteer
03-20-2011, 09:46
I don't need pants to hike either but I still take them.

Egads
03-20-2011, 09:50
I don't need pants to hike either but I still take them.

And we all appreciate that :D

mweinstone
03-20-2011, 10:00
i belive hikers would rather come into a shelter area, plop down their pack exausted....resting for a few still moments...the sound of their own feet plodding all day ceased,...absorbing and bathing in the scilence....stareing blankly at the ground in contemplation as we all do in those moments.....reflecting on the trials and joys of that days hike,.....and not have 397 man made objects per square foot of ground stareing back at them!

between the glass and the bits of foil lay hairballs from brushes and big toenail clippings on edges of shelters.amongst the twistie wires and tiny bits of moleskin backing are blister peelings and all maner of trace not none. you cant make your own rules and call them law. lnt dosnt allow for any soc fuzz or an odd clothing lable to accedently fall. it demands searching each nights spot with military precision to eraticate any and all traces of us. not just some laundry list of approved traces. duh.

LoneRidgeRunner
03-20-2011, 10:16
Ultralight style:

You don't carry a stove..you will NOT get hot water from me... I don't cater to bums who are too lazy to carry a stove..call me stupid if you like...but I carry my own gear and don't bum...

endubyu
03-20-2011, 10:30
Matty, I like your heart! I really do. I don't want to walk up the trail and see that someone else has been there. Don't want to see plastic bags, or foil, and because I walk barefoot I sure don't want to see broken glass. And because I don't want to find evidence that others came before me, I do all in my power to insure those that follow me not find evidence that I came before them... to leave no trace.

There are at least two aspects to LNT aren't there? The LNT regarding other hikers and the LNT as an impact on the trail itself. When you've walked through my campsite I hope you won't realize you've walked through my campsite. You won't smell my ****, or see where I slept or where I had a fire if I had one at all. But I'm not wearing a colostomy bag or toting my crap out, coffee grounds either, and I'm not pissing in a bag so I can carry it. Though there may not be a laundry list, some things just get left. We have to use knowledge, common sense, and care for our environment to determine what gets left and the best way to leave it.

randyg45
03-20-2011, 11:39
What do you do with the belly button lint you find?

Panzer1
03-20-2011, 11:55
What do you do with the belly button lint you find?

it can be used as a good fire starter. ;)

Panzer

brian039
03-20-2011, 13:06
I use the Folgers coffee that comes in the single-use tea bags. Tastes good enough for me and you don't need any extra equipment to make it. Easy to pack out too.

sheepdog
03-20-2011, 14:10
What will you do with the used coffee grounds?

Panzer

Ziploc bag works fine.

I wave them under the noses of people that bring instant coffee.
hahahahahahahahahaha

ShelterLeopard
03-20-2011, 15:44
Hello. When I do my section hike next month, I'm going to take my GSI Outdoors Collapsible JavaDrip Slim Drip Coffee Maker thingy (http://www.rei.com/product/798277). Better than instant, and not much extra to carry.

I wonder. How do you recommend I carry my ground coffee? Something vacuum sealed? some of those bottles seem a little bulky. Have any other suggestions?

I. Love. Good. Coffee. I carried my coffee grounds in one of those small plastic nalgene bottles. The weight was worth it for me, because it stayed very fresh, and there was no way I could poke a hole through the bag and lose my precious grounds. The bottles are very inexpensive. I could even see using a poland spring water bottle.

johnnyblisters
03-21-2011, 08:00
What happened to that guy who posted pictures of a 7oz percolator setup. Just drank an espresso before work and am curious how I'm going to cope next week when I start my thru...

mweinstone
03-21-2011, 08:19
coffie grounds can be burried. just not in the wrong way or place or time. anyone who carrys urine is weird. but yes, one needs to rake up the crushed grass and fluff up a leafpile one has slept on. yes it matters that no one see any trace of you. and that cant be seperated from "good for the trail" we dont concern ourselves with visual pollution for the sakes of others alone. all of our traces have concequences. the noise we make can effect birthrates of wildlife. also, the nucker reactors we loose to sunamis create environmental damage. the wide chasm between the two concevable ends of the destruction spectrum contains each lost sprinkle of salt as well as our individual share of responsibillity in the possible effects of the hedron colider. but we can do most in the not dropping trash on the appalachian trail arena of planetary respect. more coffie?

Slack-jawed Trog
03-22-2011, 23:23
I just found my new sigg'y in this thread...

First Runner-up: Skidsteer, "I don't need pants to hike either but I still take them."

The winner is, envelope please...

Panzer1
03-23-2011, 03:09
spreading coffee grounds around camp, even burying them in camp can be calculated to attract unwanted animals. :eek:

best to bring instant coffee.

Panzer

Penguin
03-23-2011, 05:17
Forget the coffee, No Doz does the trick, no grounds, no fuel required, no extra water. 200 mg of Caffeine, all the chemical benefit of coffee with none of the BS involved.

mweinstone
03-23-2011, 06:02
Forget the coffee, No Doz does the trick, no grounds, no fuel required, no extra water. 200 mg of Caffeine, all the chemical benefit of coffee with none of the BS involved.

bet you liked the orgasmatron in sleeper.

Farr Away
03-23-2011, 12:02

Ick, the coffee experience is not all about the caffeine!

I carry my ground coffee in a zip lock. That zip lock goes in a bigger ziplock that has snacks and other beverage makings. Either that or it goes in my lemonade jar. Object of either location is to keep the coffee baggie from being damaged and dumping coffee grounds all over.

sherrill
03-23-2011, 12:37
Two of these first thing in the morning:

flemdawg1
03-23-2011, 13:01
I use the Folgers coffee that comes in the single-use tea bags. Tastes good enough for me and you don't need any extra equipment to make it. Easy to pack out too.

If you stay in hotels, you can also take the small in-room coffee maker packets. Not as good as fresh ground or french press, but it does the job. Works the same as the Folgers bags, put pack in cup, pour in hot water, let it steep.

Penguin
03-23-2011, 16:08
***, the coffee experience is not all about the caffeine!

I think it actually is, people just don't want to come to terms with chemical dependency. Everything else is just an excuse to get the caffeine. Like with alcohol, people try to make it about flavors or experiences while drinking, but it basically comes down to the chemical benefit to the person from alcohol. Otherwise we would all be drinking Non-Alcoholic beer, and De Cafe coffee, for the obvious health benefits from not adding another chemical to our bodies.

Oh I love coffee in town. I work for Starbuck's, and have off and on since 1997. I usually have about 8 shots of espresso everyday, varying from my favorite, a Grande, 4 shot, 6 pump Vanilla, Soy latte, to straight up shots of espresso with just a little caramel sauce, and enough cream to cool it down to drink.

sheepdog
03-23-2011, 18:04
I think it actually is, people just don't want to come to terms with chemical dependency. Everything else is just an excuse to get the caffeine. Like with alcohol, people try to make it about flavors or experiences while drinking, but it basically comes down to the chemical benefit to the person from alcohol. Otherwise we would all be drinking Non-Alcoholic beer, and De Cafe coffee, for the obvious health benefits from not adding another chemical to our bodies.

Oh I love coffee in town. I work for Starbuck's, and have off and on since 1997. I usually have about 8 shots of espresso everyday, varying from my favorite, a Grande, 4 shot, 6 pump Vanilla, Soy latte, to straight up shots of espresso with just a little caramel sauce, and enough cream to cool it down to drink.
Anyone who puts soy in their coffee is suspect.:-?;):D

kanga
03-23-2011, 18:43
agreed.

10101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010 101010101010

Harrison Bergeron
03-23-2011, 19:17
Unused urine sample vial: 3.5in x 1.75in, .8oz

I got mine from a friend who is a nurse but you could probably beg one from your local minor emergency center.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/2570/img1423hc.jpg

4Bears
03-24-2011, 10:16

That's about as far from coffee as one could get. IMHO

ShelterLeopard
03-24-2011, 11:30

Nope- I agree that my body needs caffeine, but I love coffee. I would never just add caffeine to something. I love the taste and aroma or coffee. (I worked for a cafe for a while too) Sometimes I'll just switch to decaf. for a while, because my body doesn't want the caffeine but I still want the delicious taste. Though, I could definitely go for some caffeinated coffee right now...

Although, I suppose you could take the argument to a scientific and psychological level and start discussing how we all attach the feelings of caffeination to any coffee drink and therefor are almost drinking a placebo when drinking decaf. Or not.

Doc Mike
03-24-2011, 12:43
LNT egg shells? Seriously it bugs you to see them in the fire ring? I think you should make it your personal mission to search out each and every bird nest in the woods to dispose of the egg shells after the birds hatch.

Penguin
03-24-2011, 12:56
The problem with egg shells is that they're just garbage. Just like fools that leave orange peels, sunflower seeds, cigarette butts, and other stuff lying around, or tin cans in fire rings. They attract animals to sites that could have been left clean of stuff that would attract them. No one wants to camp next to someone elses food waste. Not every one builds useless fires either, to burn some others garbage, who is to feeble to carry out eight that they packed in. Otherwise when it's summer, and way to warm to build a fire, fire pits would be overflowing with trash. Toilet paper breaks down quicker then egg shells, and burns well, using this logic, then it would be totally cool to leave your TP in a fire pit instead of burying it our packing it out. LNT would dictate that a conscientious hiker would use the pre existing camp site with the fire pit, in order to not create another redundant site. Just pack out your trash, or in the case of simple organics, just bury them in a separate hole then the one you pooped in. Reducing the risk that your cat-hole is going to be dug up.

Doc Mike
03-24-2011, 13:23
Like anything else when taking things to extremes it becomes ridiculous. Egg shells and other organics like coffee grounds are good for the environment by providing fertilizer to the ground and nutrients to the rodents. As far as TP breaking down before egg shells that is completely and utterly ridiculous. The egg shells like antlers from the deer are quickly destoyed by rodents for the calcium.

Just use common sense.

sheepdog
03-24-2011, 13:24
Like anything else when taking things to extremes it becomes ridiculous. Egg shells and other organics like coffee grounds are good for the environment by providing fertilizer to the ground and nutrients to the rodents. As far as TP breaking down before egg shells that is completely and utterly ridiculous. The egg shells like antlers from the deer are quickly destoyed by rodents for the calcium.

Just use common sense.
Don't try to confuse the issue with common sense. :D

kanga
03-24-2011, 13:47
The problem with egg shells is that they're just garbage. Just like fools that leave orange peels, sunflower seeds, cigarette butts, and other stuff lying around, or tin cans in fire rings. They attract animals to sites that could have been left clean of stuff that would attract them. No one wants to camp next to someone elses food waste. Not every one builds useless fires either, to burn some others garbage, who is to feeble to carry out eight that they packed in. Otherwise when it's summer, and way to warm to build a fire, fire pits would be overflowing with trash. Toilet paper breaks down quicker then egg shells, and burns well, using this logic, then it would be totally cool to leave your TP in a fire pit instead of burying it our packing it out. LNT would dictate that a conscientious hiker would use the pre existing camp site with the fire pit, in order to not create another redundant site. Just pack out your trash, or in the case of simple organics, just bury them in a separate hole then the one you pooped in. Reducing the risk that your cat-hole is going to be dug up.
i'm sorry but that is absolute liberal elitest bull****.

Fog Horn
03-24-2011, 14:06

Sometimes I cannot decipher the genious that is Matthewski, but sometimes you say things that make me want to tear up, they are so poetic and beautiful.

In this post.... "its a thin strip of lovingly kept hope"

Fog Horn
03-24-2011, 14:20
Nope- I agree that my body needs caffeine, but I love coffee. I would never just add caffeine to something. I love the taste and aroma or coffee. (I worked for a cafe for a while too) Sometimes I'll just switch to decaf. for a while, because my body doesn't want the caffeine but I still want the delicious taste. Though, I could definitely go for some caffeinated coffee right now...

Although, I suppose you could take the argument to a scientific and psychological level and start discussing how we all attach the feelings of caffeination to any coffee drink and therefor are almost drinking a placebo when drinking decaf. Or not.

I think for me coffee is more of a feeling. When you drink coffee you aren't doing twenty million other things, like you do all day long. You stop, you smell it, you sit down with it, you sip it, and you relax, for just a few minutes of your hectic day. To me, thats what the coffee experience is. I also feel this way about tea, which most of the time does not have any caffiene in it at all. I'd like to think that both of these drinks, for most people, is not the "I need this in order to get through my day and wake up" sort of drink, but the "I just want to sit down and relax a minute with my coffee" sort of drink.

Tinker
03-24-2011, 16:01
Unused urine sample vial: 3.5in x 1.75in, .8oz

I got mine from a friend who is a nurse but you could probably beg one from your local minor emergency center.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/2570/img1423hc.jpg
Buy one and take it for your next physical. Fill with apple juice. Bring out both containers. When the doctor says he/she only needs one sample drink the apple juice. :D (Just imagine) :o

ShelterLeopard
03-24-2011, 18:35
True Foghorn- the coffee part of my morning is always the best. A relaxing way to slowly wake up.

Farr Away
03-25-2011, 09:38
I think for me coffee is more of a feeling. When you drink coffee you aren't doing twenty million other things, like you do all day long. You stop, you smell it, you sit down with it, you sip it, and you relax, for just a few minutes of your hectic day. To me, thats what the coffee experience is. I also feel this way about tea, which most of the time does not have any caffiene in it at all. I'd like to think that both of these drinks, for most people, is not the "I need this in order to get through my day and wake up" sort of drink, but the "I just want to sit down and relax a minute with my coffee" sort of drink.

Yes, that's it exactly.

A hot drink on a cold morning in the woods ... nirvana.

ShelterLeopard
03-25-2011, 11:06
I even bought one of those insulated mugs (the one that is in a pentagonal shape), and it makes my coffee (or sometimes, hot chocolate- my own, signature mix) stay warm for ages so I can savor it. Delicious... I don't think there's anything I appreciate more on a cold hiking day than a hot drink.

Nearly Normal
03-25-2011, 11:20
This is why I usually hike alone.......and tent.

ShelterLeopard
03-25-2011, 11:22
Because you don't like to be around coffee-aholics? (I almost always hike alone, and often tent)

Nearly Normal
03-25-2011, 13:01
Because you don't like to be around coffee-aholics?

More like people with no common sense.

ShelterLeopard
03-25-2011, 13:13
But what does that have to do with coffee??? :confused:

delaford321
03-25-2011, 13:59
Easy, find some dandelions. roast the roots on the fire. = Delicious coffee. (decaf) But we all know it's not about the caffeine.

Skidsteer
03-25-2011, 17:58
But what does that have to do with coffee??? :confused:

Pretty sure NN is talking about people who take coffee pills.

mweinstone
03-25-2011, 18:19
sometimes i like to dip a pinch of malas grounds between my cheek and gum. sets right nice thar.

ShelterLeopard
03-25-2011, 22:42
Ooooh, gotcha.

300winmag
04-13-2011, 18:59
I carry finely ground coffee (my own mix) in sealable teabags that I got at a kitchen goods store (it's in The Grove shopping ctr., in LA).

doveslayer
04-13-2011, 21:27
Ziploc bagss

ScrapIron
04-13-2011, 22:23
Hmmmm...who needs coffee? I usually carry along stuff that is much more stimulating.

Penguin
04-14-2011, 05:16
I stay up late the Columbian way... with coffee!

MuddyWaters
05-24-2011, 23:06
Via italian roast. Too easy to do do anything else.

saltysack
06-03-2011, 16:20
Just dig a hole as with sh..

birchy
06-03-2011, 16:40
come on now! i'm all for LNT but coffee grounds are nutrient rich for plants, they repel ants and some say fleas. I throw my coffee grounds in my flower beds at home. you're not gonna see 'em - no eye sore. And if you're THAT concerned with LNT, leave the hiking poles home. every time you ram that stick in the ground you leave a trace don't ya? especially when it's a rock you're scratching - that will not recover in our lifetime. coffee grounds strown, yeah i'm not seeing a problem with that one.

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH THAT COMMENT. WHILE L.N.T. IS GOOD CONDUCT, SOMETIMES ITS OVERKILL TO THINK TOO HARD

58starter
06-03-2011, 19:54
Small cleaned out peanut putter plastic jar. Keeps my coffee ground dry and fresh.

vamelungeon
06-03-2011, 23:10
A hot cup of coffee on a chilly morning in the woods tastes like sunshine through the trees.
I carry mine in a ziploc.

lilricky
06-13-2011, 21:51
I had a guy go off on me at Wayah Gap for broadcasting my grounds into the brush, away from the shelter. Thankfully I was hiking with a Florida forest ranger at the time and he convinced him that coffee grounds compost rapidly and cause no harm to the environment.

Skidsteer
06-13-2011, 22:03
I had a guy go off on me at Wayah Gap for broadcasting my grounds into the brush, away from the shelter. Thankfully I was hiking with a Florida forest ranger at the time and he convinced him that coffee grounds compost rapidly and cause no harm to the environment.

Thankfully, so do LNT fanatics.

WingedMonkey
06-13-2011, 22:27

Since coffee grounds neither put out or prevent forest fires, I don't think that falls in a Florida Forest Ranger's job description.
:sun