PDA

View Full Version : Asheville, NC trail angel!

samgriffin4
03-16-2011, 16:19
Hello, I live in the Asheville, NC area and would love to help Mountains to Sea trail hikers coming through the Black Balsam, Graveyard Fields area. I will come and pick hikers up from the Blueridge parkway and bring them into town for REI runs, food runs, a place to stay, several hot meals, and a well deserved shower! Keep your money too, you need it for the trail! My email address is [email protected]. This summer I will not be present because I am attempting the Pacific Crest Trail, but my girlfriend will be and is more than willing to offer the same services! Thanks!

endubyu
03-17-2011, 09:28
Very generous and much appreciated!

Is there a set of trails near Asheville/Mt Mitchell that will get a hiker from the MST to the AT? I know they two trails connect at Clingman's but I'm hoping there is a route from Mitchell to the AT without having to go west from Mitchell - know of anything?

Tennessee Viking
03-17-2011, 13:45
Hello, I live in the Asheville, NC area and would love to help Mountains to Sea trail hikers coming through the Black Balsam, Graveyard Fields area. I will come and pick hikers up from the Blueridge parkway and bring them into town for REI runs, food runs, a place to stay, several hot meals, and a well deserved shower! Keep your money too, you need it for the trail! My email address is [email protected]. This summer I will not be present because I am attempting the Pacific Crest Trail, but my girlfriend will be and is more than willing to offer the same services! Thanks!Thanks for the support. The FMST will surely value your help.

Currently Taba is walking his 4th time on the MST. You can email him at [email protected] or PM him here if you want him to add you to the trail guide.

Email Kate Dixon, [email protected], so the FMST can add you as hiker support for the Asheville area. Contact the Carolina Mtn Club as well. They maintain the MST a large amount of the trail from around Asheville to Mt Mitchell.

Is there a set of trails near Asheville/Mt Mitchell that will get a hiker from the MST to the AT? I know they two trails connect at Clingman's but I'm hoping there is a route from Mitchell to the AT without having to go west from Mitchell - know of anything?
Endubyu...sorry there is no other connection after the Smokies except for shuttles and extensive road walks.

There is a long term plan to connect the MST from Devils Garden Overlook to the AT somewhere up in Virginia.

samgriffin4
03-17-2011, 14:24
Thanks for the resources! I will certainly contact all parties mentioned. Glad to help!

pablowest
04-09-2011, 23:32
Hello, I live in the Asheville, NC area and would love to help Mountains to Sea trail hikers coming through the Black Balsam, Graveyard Fields area. I will come and pick hikers up from the Blueridge parkway and bring them into town for REI runs, food runs, a place to stay, several hot meals, and a well deserved shower! Keep your money too, you need it for the trail! My email address is [email protected]. This summer I will not be present because I am attempting the Pacific Crest Trail, but my girlfriend will be and is more than willing to offer the same services! Thanks!

Hi. It sounds interesting. Hope that we can meet you in Asheville. I really want to hike this summer vacation. :D

grizzlyadam
04-10-2011, 16:03

There is a way, but it involves a 26 mile road walk. From the summit of Mount Mitchell you can hike the Black Mountain Crest Trail (http://www.summitpost.org/black-mountain-crest-trail-aka-deep-gap/162846) to the Bowlens Creek Trailhead just outside of Burnsville, NC. From there you pick up the road walk to Hughes Gap, just south of Roan Mountain.

Here is a Google Map of the route.
(http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=State+Rd+1109&daddr=Hughes+Gap,+Roan+Mountain,+Carter,+Tennessee +37687&hl=en&geocode=FWhyIwIdim4Y-w%3BFU9nJwId4aAa-ymRRgdJiJxQiDFO0sjtWP_pJg&mra=prev&sll=35.879697,-82.280774&sspn=0.027505,0.066047&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=11)

endubyu
04-10-2011, 16:09
that's very helpful - tyvm

grizzlyadam
04-10-2011, 16:13
No problem. Just know the Black Mountain Crest Trail is said to be one of the toughest trails mile for mile in the East.

From the summit of Mitchell it is slightly easier in that you don't have the 3,000ft in 3.5 mile to Celo Knob if starting from the Bowlens Creek Trailhead. Of course, that means you have to go down 3,000ft in 3.5 miles which can be killer on the knees!