PDA

View Full Version : Eckville Shelter

willyhort0w2
01-12-2005, 15:43
Any body know if the eckville shelter is open for section hikers during Jan.

c.coyle
01-13-2005, 09:45
As far as I know, it's open all year, just like any other shelter.

MOWGLI
01-13-2005, 10:52
As far as I know, it's open all year, just like any other shelter.

In 2000, a friend asked the grumpy caretaker what his favorite season was. He said "winter". When asked why, he said, "because there are no hikers here then." He was dead serious.

c.coyle
01-13-2005, 11:34
In 2000, a friend asked the grumpy caretaker what his favorite season was. He said "winter". When asked why, he said, "because there are no hikers here then." He was dead serious.

Great!! You'll have the place to yourself!! The caretaker sounds like my kind of guy.

Freighttrain
01-13-2005, 12:28
the caretaker is way cool

MOWGLI
01-13-2005, 13:10
the caretaker is way cool

He must have been having a bad day when I went through.

prozac
01-13-2005, 16:00
The caretaker at the Eckville Shelter is named Lazee. I've stayed there three times and and found him friendly enough altho he doesn't suffer fools easily. Three time thru hiker so maybe he's just a little jealous being stuck in PA while everyone else is out hiking. Besides, everyone is entitled to a bad day once in awhile. Prozac

icefanclub
01-26-2005, 12:02
From around here north, there is severe ice storm damage to the trail. Almost every tree crown has fallen into the trail, making it impassable for 1/4-1/2 mile sections at a time.

willyhort0w2
01-26-2005, 12:36
Yup, I know, experienced it first hand. Hiked from 309 to eckville first day and ran into severe ice damage from the allentown shelter to dan's pulpit. Other areas were bad but this was definiately the worst section with damage.

Toolshed
01-27-2005, 09:59
I' like to put in a good note for Lazee.
Here is a guy who has dedicated his property to help thru-hikers - It is a pleasure to stop by there. Lazee might be a quiet, non-intrusive sort (his dog is a little louder :) ) but he is a nice, polite fellow.

wilconow
06-01-2005, 10:17
the field with the tent pads across the street are very nice too. i bet stargazing wouldve been cool, but i was beat and went straight to sleep
ice cream and cold sodas in the fridge.. honor system.

make sure to read the signs.

Sly
06-01-2005, 10:33
I' like to put in a good note for Lazee.
Here is a guy who has dedicated his property to help thru-hikers - It is a pleasure to stop by there. Lazee might be a quiet, non-intrusive sort (his dog is a little louder :) ) but he is a nice, polite fellow.

If I'm not mistaken the Eckville Shelter belongs to the Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club, the trail maintaining club for that section. Mick, or Lazee, is the volunteer resident caretaker.

Blister
06-01-2005, 12:18
Sly is correct in that the property does not belong to Mick - he is the caretaker. On the note of being a bad day. My heart goes out to all the caretakers and hostel owners on the trail. It is very draining to be at the hikers needs everyday. Somebody always needing something, looking for something ect... Many years ago when I lived in Manchester Ctr. I consistantly did the trail magic thing, had hikers at the house, ran shuttles and remember the days without hikers seemed a little more relaxing for my own sanity. I've seen it from both sides. When I hit Eckville back in 2000, Mick (Lazee), who has been a friend of mine from years prior. Pulled out the grill, hotdogs, hamburgs and beverages for all. His only disappiontment was that I wasn't coming thru on his day off from his real job. It's a great little hostel.

Nean
06-02-2005, 06:50
Had the pleasure of both hiking and staying with Lazee at Eckville. One nice thing about Mick is you don't have to wonder how he's feeling. It is not easy dealing with hikers day in day out, I know! The man has a heart of gold as far as I'm concerned.

roy_hiking
01-04-2006, 19:24
The 2005 Companion has Eckville open May-Sep. Is that true? I will be hiking that area in early April 06.

Cheesewhiz
01-04-2006, 20:59
it's open all year as far as I know, I stayed there last Jan.

lbbrown
01-04-2006, 21:42
Hey Cheesewhiz- Check out the first post on this thread. Do you know Wily?
We're all neighbors. I'll be going to Hawk Mountain on 1/09. Maybe stay at Windsor shelter. I always blow the car horn whenever we pass Eckville shelter.

fiddlehead
01-05-2006, 02:14
It's always open. I just came from there tonight to say goodbye to Lazee. Not many hikers in the winter once the snow falls. But hikers are always welcome there.
Mick is a great caretaker, he just doesn't babysit well. (or enjoy picking up after hikers)

Wonder
01-05-2006, 04:47
Just hit near there last week............after reading all of these threads, I kinda wish I had stayed there and met Lazee

Pootz
02-07-2006, 10:34
Stayed there there on the 4th of July 2005. Lazee took great care of us. One of the best 4th I have ever had.

khaynie
02-07-2006, 12:30
Just be sure to read the instructions that are posted near the fridge. I failed to and got reprimanded for walking over the old septic tank site. Oh, and they have nice tent sites across the road.

Bayou
03-03-2006, 17:52
The 2006 Companion still has Eckville listed as open May-Sep. Is that true? I will be there in two weeks and find out.

Cheesewhiz
03-03-2006, 17:55
The shelter is open year round but "Lazee" the caretaker only has the showers, bathroom functional and stocks the fridge on the porch during that time. I ahve stayed there in early january

1azarus
01-27-2009, 15:23
Just there a couple of nights ago... and yes, it is definitely open. good for mid winter -- besides being enclosed, there is a light bulb! and an outlet for recharging! the water seems to be shut off for the winter, so your only hope for water is if the caretaker is there... i was lucky and caught him (actually, his brother... sorry i didn't get to meet lazee ), and he gave me a couple of liters of water...but he wasn't there for long... for you hammockers -- when no one's around you can hang diagonally from the bunks. call me a finicky, but i wouldn't want to sit on those bunks, let alone sleep!

Blissful
01-27-2009, 15:40
I did not like this shelter at least in summer. Carpet on the my bunk was infested with mites or fleas - I was bitten all night long. Even caretaker warned us of supposed noseeums that bite and we may want to tent - so he knew something was up with the shelter (I did not tent as we just had a massive thunderstorm but sure know better next time). They need to flea bomb it.

emerald
01-27-2009, 17:42
Before you get everyone in all of God's creation excited, please remember you were there over a year ago. I know, I was there with you.

I will inquire about current conditions. Let's refrain from posting what may be old information. Complaints such as what was posted might be best made to A.T. maintaining clubs directly. It's no secret how to contact BMECC (http://www.bmecc.org). Their time is best spent dealing with real issues rather than those which exist only in cyberspace.

Blissful
01-27-2009, 22:07
Absolutely agree, SOG.

It was just a bad night for me there. It may be just fine now.

Sorry, y'all.

1azarus
01-28-2009, 09:35
Absolutely agree, SOG.

It was just a bad night for me there. It may be just fine now.

Sorry, y'all.

my apology, too -- i am an old man finick! it sure was nice to have a sheltered place to sleep on a very cold night, and i am thankful for that.

emerald
01-28-2009, 13:38
I contacted shelterbuilder. He may or may not have something to add at this time. You may want to direct your specific concerns to him by PM.

Blissful
01-28-2009, 14:55
Yeah, I should have said something back in '07 when I returned. Thought about it but never did until I saw this post. It was dumb to say something nearly two years later. I just know it was kind of a downer for me with itching and stinging all night (this was in the summer). The other two guys didn't suffer anything that night so maybe it was just a fluke. I just thought it weird when the caretaker specifically mentioned "no seeums biting" and we should tent (?), and then this happened, so maybe he did know something about the place...
But the place is really nice. I loved the privy /bathroom. :)

But, water over the dam.
Onward and upward!

Thanks SOG and all you guys there in PA for all you do. PA is one of the most friendliest states on the AT route.

shelterbuilder
01-28-2009, 21:50
I contacted shelterbuilder. He may or may not have something to add at this time. You may want to direct your specific concerns to him by PM.

Both the Eckville and the Rt. 501 Shelters fall under the jurisdiction of the Corridor Lands Management Committee, not the Shelters Committee (long story dealing with the history of the structures/land acquisitions), so technically, I don't really have any say over what goes on at these two places. However, I'm sure that, if there was a problem, Lazee has already taken care of it. Having spent 2 seasons as caretaker at Eckville, I can say that I do remember that there are "flying biteys" up there.

Blissful, glad that you enjoyed Pa. (in spite of all of our rocks).