PDA

View Full Version : my gear so far.

dropsofskywater
03-16-2011, 18:13
do you count the weight of the clothes you are wearing and your boots in your pack weight? Thank you all for all the great information and support you all have given me on my other postings! 8 days to go!

JS Rainer 4250 cubic in /4.2 lb.
NF elkhorn 4.10 lb.
Wenzel lone elk 3.88 lb.
Kelty sleeping pad 1.8 lb.
Alumumie cup 2 3/4 oz
Mess kit 7 3/8 oz
Eppi pen 3 1/4oz
UA long sleeve 8oz
Fleece 11 7/8 oz
Rain panco 11 1/8oz
Mosquito net hat 1 1/4oz
Gloves 1 5/8oz
Mittens 2 1/2oz
UA winter hat 2 1/8oz
Shorts/underpants 3 5/8 oz
Gators 1 7/8 oz
EMS base layer pants 5 oz
First aid kit 5 3/8 oz
Toiletry kit 5 7/8 oz
Trowel 1 7/8 oz
Compas/ matchstick 1 1/4 oz
Bra 2 5/8oz
Base layer shirt 5 5/8 oz
Light weight fleece 7 7/8 oz
Kelty head lamp 3 1/8 oz
Boot warmers 5 1/4 oz
Towel 2 1/2 oz
Camelbak 6 1/4 oz
Rope 6 oz
Waterproof iPod holder 2 5/8 oz
Camera 6 5/8 oz
Camcorder 5 oz
Cell phone 3 3/8 oz
iPod 3 3/4 oz
Stove 3/8 oz
Sun glasses 1oz
Base layer pants 4 1/8 oz
EMS zippoffs 13 1/2 oz
Colombia 11 3/4 oz
Shell 1lb 10 3/8 oz
Brim hat 4 1/2 oz
Leki poles 13 3/4 oz
Vasque boots 2 lb 12 1/2 oz

Blissful
03-16-2011, 18:26
I don't count that weight.

Snowleopard
03-16-2011, 18:56
It looks like you have a list that'll work.
I add that up to be about 27 lb not counting boots or hiking poles.

Are you including the clothes you'll be wearing in that weight? If yes, then you're doing OK.

Your basics are heavy, pack, sleeping bag, pad and tent. Since these seem to be inexpensive stuff, I'll try to keep my recommendations cheap.

Sleeping pad: dump the 1.8 lb one and get a cheap blue foam pad at walmart, etc.

Sleeping bag is heavy and is for 0F. I suspect that you don't need 0F, but maybe keep it until you're sure it'll be warmer then exchange for a lighter bag rated for warmer temps.

Tent: I see that online for $21, at that price keep it. Do try it out in your backyard first!!! Some cheap tents work fine, some fall apart and leak like crazy. Spray a garden hose on it to see if it leaks badly. Later consider trading it for a tarp and mosquito netting; you'll see what other thruhikers are liking later.

Shell 1lb 10 3/8 oz This is heavy. Why this and a poncho??

Colombia 11 3/4 oz What is this??

Stove 3/8 oz Is this right? Alcohol stove? You need something to carry the alcohol in (small bottled water or soda bottle marked so you KNOW it's not water). Have you tried it out?

You've got a lot of electronics.

Can you put on all of your clothes at the same time over each other? If not you have a piece you can leave behind. The only extra clothes that you need is a dry clean set, probably of light long johns, to use as pajamas.

Spare socks? this is about the only thing that almost everybody takes duplicates of.

Have you put it all in the pack and gone for a walk? Now, add 8 or 10 lb of food/water/fuel and do it again.

Are your boots comfortable? This is the one deal breaker. If your feet hurt after a mile you're in trouble.

Congratulations, you're about to hike!! Have fun.

dropsofskywater
03-16-2011, 20:52
the pancho has a hood that is why i was gonna take both. sorry Colombia was zip off pants, yes I am using a alcohol stove ( works great) I know I hate to have so many electronics but the cash flow is to low to buy a all in one type of device.this is a list of just about everything I have, I fig I will be able to shave off 4-5 lbs of summer stuff my first couple months then 5-6 lbs of winter stuff, when the time comes.

Snowleopard
03-16-2011, 21:48
the pancho has a hood that is why i was gonna take both. ... this is a list of just about everything I have, I fig I will be able to shave off 4-5 lbs of summer stuff my first couple months then 5-6 lbs of winter stuff, when the time comes.
So, if this list includes several pounds of summer stuff you won't take at the beginning, then you're in pretty good shape -- less than 25lb at the beginning (plus food/water).

Ask yourself what function that shell serves. Is it a windbreaker or raingear. Maybe you can get by with a cheap and light windbreaker, windshirt instead of the heavy shell plus the poncho for rain. Or, perhaps an old fashioned rain hat instead of the poncho. If you're already below 25 lb without food or water, you can figure all this out after your first week on the trail.

Have a great time.