PDA

View Full Version : bacon and sausage

twsmith001
03-16-2011, 18:58
so am i right in thinking that you dont have to refrigerate the fully cooked bacon or sausage.....i noticed on two diffrent brands of the bacon that said refrigerate after opening...did not think to look at the others....was a while ago....if so i know sams club is selling the stuff for like 7 or 8 bucks for 72 peices of bacon and 24 sausage patties.....

Toolshed
03-16-2011, 19:19
Yes....If your question is whatI think it is, then yes, I think I am answering your question correctly. If the precooked is not refrigerated, it might go rancid sooner.

Feral Bill
03-16-2011, 19:37
One way to find out. Better to find out at home if it's not ok,

Montana Mac
03-16-2011, 19:50
I have carried it (bacon) a couple of times. Ate half the first day - finished package second day without any known problems.

bflorac
03-17-2011, 00:48
The last time I had a slim-jim on the trail I had a bear walk up right behind me. I don't carry meat of any sort any longer. Just food for thought :)

JaxHiker
03-17-2011, 11:07
Is there any that's really thick? Even the "extra thick" stuff I find around here is paper thin. :(

Rocket Jones
03-17-2011, 11:13
Is there any that's really thick? Even the "extra thick" stuff I find around here is paper thin. :(

Make your own. It's easy to do. Google is your friend. :)

bigcranky
03-17-2011, 12:39
The last time I had a slim-jim on the trail I had a bear walk up right behind me. I don't carry meat of any sort any longer. Just food for thought :)

Did the bear offer to fight you for it? Best two out of three? For a slim-jim I'd probably let the bear have it. For a Snickers, though, that bear is going down.

aaronthebugbuffet
03-17-2011, 17:03
72 pieces of bacon would only last about 2 days with me anyway. Spoilage would not be a problem.

Razor
03-17-2011, 17:24
The bacon will keep several days ,even in the summer. In the winter a good 4-5 days.The refrig directions are for best taste and legal. Go for it!

moldy
03-18-2011, 09:14
Both keep for at least 3 weeks. Best way to keep bacon if you are worried is to buy it in the 2oz packs of bacon pieces they sell in the salad section of the groc. It's not refrigerated. I love these bacon chunks raw on a tortilia.

Wise Old Owl
03-18-2011, 09:28
Traditional Artisan hand made bacon can be tossed on a dryer for a hour and repackaged and should last unrefrigerated for three weeks, I have been trying to remember the manufacture and I thought it was "Brentwood" in Verginia but I am only close....

Dry Curing
This is the oldest method and each farmhouse would have its own recipe and a slab of bacon would be kept in the inglenook above the fireplace. From Saxon times pigs were fattened in oak forests on mast (acorns) during Autumn and cured to provide meat for the family in winter months. Bacon formed part of the rations for long distance sea journeys, heavy salting preserved the meat from spoiling, but by the time it reached the Americas it was tough and more like boot leather than bacon as we know it today.
Wet Curing
The term ‘Wet-cure’ means to immerse in a liquid brine (a salt and saltpetre solution containing useful salt tolerant bacteria) for 3 to 4 days. This is a much milder form of curing, and the meat is cured in the brine under refrigeration. As meat keeps fresh longer at lower temperatures it does not require so much salt. The Wiltshire Cure (Wet-cure) was developed by the Harris family of Calne, Wiltshire in the United Kingdom, and was revolutionary in its time (1840’s). As there were no refrigerators in those days, they used to pack the roof with winter ice to lower the temperature