PDA

View Full Version : Do i not have enough cash?

bschempf
03-16-2011, 20:45
Im flying down to Georgia April 1st with the intention of hiking up to Connecticut, my home town. The only thing im worried about is that i may not have enough cash. Im going to be bringing down $1,500 and hoping it will last me the 3 months it takes to hike to georgia. any ideas on if this is enough or if i should pawn some things for some extra cash. any help on what people usually spend on an average week would help hugely

Montana Mac
03-16-2011, 20:49
It all depends - so many factors involved - how many nites in town - are you going to be partying in town - spending nites in hostels/motels, etc.

Some people spend multiple thousands when they hike other do it on a tight budget.

Joey C
03-16-2011, 20:49
I've heard of folks spending between $1500 and $8000 on a thru hike. It all depends on you. It's do-able. Limit your time in town, and the niceties that attract folks in town (meals, beer, hotels, etc...) and you'll do fine. If not, don't sweat it. Hike as far as you can with what you have and enjoy it.

Montana Mac
03-16-2011, 20:51
......with the intention of hiking up to Connecticut, my home town. ....

Just curious - where is your home town in CT?

fiddlehead
03-16-2011, 20:52
$2 per mile is probably a decent "average"
But of course it all depends on you and your (beer) habits.
As well as time spent in towns.
good luck and have fun.

garlic08
03-16-2011, 21:05
In the average week you'll probably spend about $50 on trail food and at least $25 for a shower and bed somewhere. Town food, beer, and entertainment varies a lot--you can spend anywhere from zero to hundreds. But for the basics, you should have it covered.

Slo-go'en
03-16-2011, 21:22
I sure hope you don't have $1500 in cash in your pack or on your person! If so, get a prepaid card or start a checking account and get a debt card. Hate to hear about your loosing that kind of money for one reason or another.

But as long as your reasonably fruggal, that should be enough.

bschempf
03-18-2011, 21:17
thanks for all the advise. im from bolton ct, right near hartford. i was planning ~100 a week so from what i read ill be able to make it back up north. i was planning on carrying a few weeks of cash down with me but wasnt sure how hikers normally get cash on the trail. are there atms in towns offten enough that i can just bring a debit card or should i have cash or prepaid cards mailed. thanks again for all the help

Montana Mac
03-18-2011, 21:25
I carried an ATM and credit card without any problems. Would carry limited cash to pay/tip shuttle service, etc.

SassyWindsor
03-18-2011, 22:54
Odds are against you. If you're getting the biggest portion of food/supplies via mail drops and don't plan on, emergencies, shuttles, motels and eating out any then I'll give you a slight maybe.

jima59
03-19-2011, 15:02
Just stay away from the motels and food establishments and you will be okay. My gosh I'm seeing people on the forums hitting the towns 2 or 3 times in the first week because of rain.

dmax
03-19-2011, 15:09
Stay away from towns and hostels and limit beer purchases [if you drink] and you will have no problem on that amount.

Jeff
03-19-2011, 19:24
Just stay away from the motels and food establishments and you will be okay. My gosh I'm seeing people on the forums hitting the towns 2 or 3 times in the first week because of rain.

It's always interesting to read about hikers who plan a wilderness hike without town stops to save money. As soon as the weather turns ugly. towns look quite inviting.

I encourage you to save enough money to enjoy what might be a once in a lifetime experience.

RGB
03-19-2011, 19:56
Very possible. Some people just don't have any self-control.

10-K
03-19-2011, 21:46
No way, no how would I start a 2181 mile hike with the idea of finishing with just $1500.

I hiked for a while with some guys on a budget like that and every single thing they did one of them would say, "Does that cost money?", "I can't afford it." or "How much does it cost?". Total buzz kill....

Last I saw them was Franconia Notch when they decided to start hiking longer every day so they could get it over with.

brian039
03-19-2011, 22:54
You'll be cuttin' it real close, but so what if you have to get off trail before you get to CT? Just worry about havin' a good time!!! You won't have any fun if you're out there worrying about money. Just go hike and see what happens, you'll love it and probably hate having to get off the trail. I'd consider waiting a year or two if you haven't already bought your plane ticket. You can thru-hike on $4,500 and party like a rock-star! You can't go into EVERY town but you can go into the vast majority of them. Stay in hostels, split motel rooms(plenty of people out there willing), and when a town has free camping, take advantage. There were several times I would go into town, and maybe stop by a restaurant or something and just meet a random person who thought it was cool that I was thru-hiking and they end up insisting that I stay with them. The trail's awesome like that! Keep yourself reasonably clean without losing your hiker trash credentials and always be polite and willing to answer people's questions...and smile and be happy!!!

ShelterLeopard
03-19-2011, 23:02
DEFINITELY depends. I spent about 2,500 on my first three months. But it fluctuated a lot. Sometimes I'd stay one night in an inexpensive hostel within two weeks and buy boring food and eat out only once while I'm in town. Others I'd stay a couple nights in a hostel, buy food that I'd been craving, fresh fruit, eat out three times, etc...

The thing that kills a budget is being in towns. It all depends on what you want to do on your hike. I found that I stayed in hostels much more in the beginning of my hike because of all the snow- I just wanted to THAW OUT for once. And sometimes, once I was thawed, I thought that one more night in the warmth would be nice. But in the spring, I needed a lot less willpower to stay out of hostels and towns.

ShelterLeopard
03-19-2011, 23:04
And the three months ended with a bang- a solid week in Harpers Ferry going to the hospital and back and spending tons of forced time in town. That was a fair amount of money right there. Again in my rambling way, you can do it if you really try.

Trailbender
03-28-2011, 07:27
It's always interesting to read about hikers who plan a wilderness hike without town stops to save money. As soon as the weather turns ugly. towns look quite inviting.

I encourage you to save enough money to enjoy what might be a once in a lifetime experience.

I actually slept better in my tent than I did in hostels. Got a motel once, split 3 ways. I have never seen a motel room worth its price. I did my thru on $2400 and I felt like I did a lot of splurging. That also included buying/experimenting with gear along the way(not all of my gear, just a few items). I also took creek baths and washed my clothes by the creek a few times as well. A shower feels nice, psychologically, but I got almost as clean with soap, hot water, and a rag. With what I know now, I could do a thru on $1500 and not feel deprived. The only thing I missed on my thru was my computer and playing online videogames.

Yahtzee
03-28-2011, 09:26
What Brian039 said. Just hike, man. You'll get close enough to CT. If you are running low in HarpersFerry, you can catch an Amtrak home. That's a good milestone to shoot for. Or you can catch an Amtrak from Harrisburg when you pass thru Duncannon.

You are talking about about 3 months of your life. Last thing you want to do is worry about money. I did on certain parts on my thru, and I can tell, it ain't no fun.

Trailbender
03-28-2011, 09:37
And the three months ended with a bang- a solid week in Harpers Ferry going to the hospital and back and spending tons of forced time in town. That was a fair amount of money right there. Again in my rambling way, you can do it if you really try.

That sucks, if you are forced to stay due to an injury, the hostel should let you stay free or at least have a place for you to pitch your tent.

ShelterLeopard
03-29-2011, 09:42
Well, I don't want to sound like an entitled hiker, but it would've been nice if I could set up my tent somewhere. But Harpers Ferry if difficult- you aren't allowed to tent in most of the nearby land. I should've tried harder at the ATC to see if there was someone who'd let me work for stay to tent in their back yard. The hostel was expensive to begin with, and all. The thing that got me a little dizzy was when the owner told me that I had to leave because they had reservations. Everywhere else was booked. But, luckily it was the same day I was told I would have to check into the hospital for a few overnights, and the same day I decided I'd had enough with all that!

Panzer1
03-29-2011, 10:08
considering hiking exactly half the trail. With only $1500 you will be able to splurge more and have more fun. Hike the other half some other time.

Panzer

DapperD
03-29-2011, 11:19
Im flying down to Georgia April 1st with the intention of hiking up to Connecticut, my home town. The only thing im worried about is that i may not have enough cash. Im going to be bringing down $1,500 and hoping it will last me the 3 months it takes to hike to georgia. any ideas on if this is enough or if i should pawn some things for some extra cash. any help on what people usually spend on an average week would help hugelyI'm assuming you mean you will be hiking from Georgia to Connecticut on $1500. If you are willing to not do too much splurging and nothing requiring extra funds such as long stays in town, gear replacement, etc...occurs than I guess it is possible. Having extra reserve funds on tap for possible unanticipated expenditures can only help, however.

Ender
03-29-2011, 11:30
$1500 is more than enough as long as you're smart about it. Don't stay in towns... take your zero days in your tent near town. Don't buy booze, it's expensive. Don't buy the most expensive thing on the menu at restaurants. Don't go to expensive restaurants when in town resupplying.

sbhikes
03-29-2011, 11:32
I'd listen to Trailbender. My experience was the same. Hotels are never worth the money. I got better sleep in my tent. You can get just as clean with some hot water, soap and a bandana. I looked for places where I could get a pay shower and laundry and a good meal and that, plus a chance to just sit around doing nothing, was all I needed out of town.

I'd say go ahead and pawn or outright sell some of your belongings. Once you are out there on the trail for a long enough period of time, you'll see that you don't really need so many belongings anyway.

ScrapIron
04-02-2011, 13:51
If your change starts getting low, just bum some groceries off of other people. Go into town and panhandle. You'll be alright.

general
04-02-2011, 17:53
you'll find hiker boxes at hostels, some outfitters, and other places, with stuff that other folks leave behind. my mother would send me what i specified, and about 40lbs of other stuff, every mail drop. two other people ate out of my maildrops and i still left stuff in hiker boxes.

Blissful
04-02-2011, 17:55
God bless moms. Wish my mom could do that now, but she can't.

stranger
04-05-2011, 04:51
I think it's really bad advice to suggest $1500 is enough for a 2180 mile hike, that works out to just 68 cents per mile...

That means when you reach Neels Gap you can spend $20, the hostel alone is $15-16, you have $4 left to resupply...or;

Leave Springer with more food and hike straight to Hiawassee, and you would have $45 to spend...most of that will go with resupply, what about laundry, a meal, etc...forget about a motel or hostel.

If I had $1500 I would plan on hiking to Pearisburg, or Waynesboro if I were very disciplined.

But sure, it 'can' be done. But taking zero's in your tent? Really?? Is that the experience you want to have? If it is then go for it, if unsure then it's probably not.

earlyriser26
04-05-2011, 05:41
Can it be done, yes. Do you really want to do it? Either save more money and go next year or hike until your money runs out. You won't be having fun spending so little money and the people around you won't enjoy it either. You live out of the hiker box and count on the other hikers to buy you things.

tigerpaw
04-05-2011, 06:33
Well, the OP is talking about a hike something less than 1500 miles. His question was about making it from Springer up to CT. He would have just over a dollar per mile. The question I have is can he make it from GA back to his home in only 3 mos? He should be into now, since he was supposed to be in GA on 4/1.

kayak karl
04-05-2011, 06:44
if you had a nickle for every money thread on WB, you could thru hike.:rolleyes:

Trailbender
04-05-2011, 09:08
I think it's really bad advice to suggest $1500 is enough for a 2180 mile hike, that works out to just 68 cents per mile...

That means when you reach Neels Gap you can spend $20, the hostel alone is $15-16, you have $4 left to resupply...or;

Leave Springer with more food and hike straight to Hiawassee, and you would have $45 to spend...most of that will go with resupply, what about laundry, a meal, etc...forget about a motel or hostel.

If I had $1500 I would plan on hiking to Pearisburg, or Waynesboro if I were very disciplined.

But sure, it 'can' be done. But taking zero's in your tent? Really?? Is that the experience you want to have? If it is then go for it, if unsure then it's probably not.

I took woods zeroes, and enjoyed them. If I wanted to spend time in town, I would stay home. I made it to Pennsylvania before I spent over $1500, and with what I know today, I could do a thru on $1500 and not feel deprived. Motels are a waste of money, and you don't have to stay at Neel's Gap, you only did 30 miles so far. On my thru, I usually would do a hostel stop every 200-250 or so, except in Maine, when I needed the extra stops.

I see it has even permeated the hiker world, the idea that you have to spend money to enjoy yourself. My biggest enjoyment was the hiking and woods time, not the towns. I did enjoy the town experience, meeting people, seeing it, ect, but not the spending money part. The best thing is to do a nero, hike in, do your stuff, and get out.

Obviously, you do need some money, but if someone said "you can do the AT, but you only have $1500", I would make it work. My thru was an enjoyable experience. I ended up spending $2400, and some of that was swapping out a sleeping bag and experimenting with gear and other items, that really wasn't needed, but I wanted to test stuff.

garlic08
04-05-2011, 09:27
... He should be into now, since he was supposed to be in GA on 4/1.

In other words, this thread is now redundant. No more "advice" is needed. It is an ex-thread. It is pushing up daisies. It has expired....

d.o.c
04-05-2011, 09:28
i thru hiked with a lil less than that just dont blow it in towns and stay at hostels or hangout in these towns allday and go camp out of town, so u dont have to pay for rooms in town.

10-K
04-05-2011, 09:30
In other words, this thread is now redundant. No more "advice" is needed. It is an ex-thread. It is pushing up daisies. It has expired....

I'm thinking "beat to death".

DesertMTB
04-05-2011, 09:36
If your change starts getting low, just bum some groceries off of other people. Go into town and panhandle. You'll be alright.

Really? Wow. If one doesn't have enough money and needs to bum groceries and panhandle, they shouldn't be on a hiking vacation.

d.o.c
04-05-2011, 09:39
Really? Wow. If one doesn't have enough money and needs to bum groceries and panhandle, they shouldn't be on a hiking vacation.
theres nothing wrong with panhandleing when you need to sucks bein hungry and stuck somewhere not evryone uses the trail for a vacation.. roads are trails for cars right so u could walk anywhere and be hungry and broke well panhandleing is your answer..

ShelterLeopard
04-05-2011, 09:41

(funeral dirge playing in background)

Trailbender
04-05-2011, 09:43

I'd consider it to be spiritually higher than a vacation. If I was doing a thru, and ran out of money, you can bet I wouldn't just quit, especially not if I was close to the end. I would go into town and find some work I could do for a couple of days in exchange for food. I don't think people should bum groceries or panhandle though.

jersey joe
04-05-2011, 14:32
I took woods zeroes, and enjoyed them. If I wanted to spend time in town, I would stay home. I made it to Pennsylvania before I spent over $1500, and with what I know today, I could do a thru on $1500 and not feel deprived. Motels are a waste of money, and you don't have to stay at Neel's Gap, you only did 30 miles so far. On my thru, I usually would do a hostel stop every 200-250 or so, except in Maine, when I needed the extra stops.

I see it has even permeated the hiker world, the idea that you have to spend money to enjoy yourself. My biggest enjoyment was the hiking and woods time, not the towns. I did enjoy the town experience, meeting people, seeing it, ect, but not the spending money part. The best thing is to do a nero, hike in, do your stuff, and get out.

Obviously, you do need some money, but if someone said "you can do the AT, but you only have $1500", I would make it work. My thru was an enjoyable experience. I ended up spending $2400, and some of that was swapping out a sleeping bag and experimenting with gear and other items, that really wasn't needed, but I wanted to test stuff.
Well said. Excellent points. If you really want to hike the trail you can do so with $1500. It won't be easy, but I'd rather do a $1500 thru hike than not thru hike at all.

ShelterLeopard
04-05-2011, 17:13
I'd rather do a $1500 thru hike than not thru hike at all.

There ya have it.

10-K
04-05-2011, 18:04
Well said. Excellent points. If you really want to hike the trail you can do so with $1500. It won't be easy, but I'd rather do a $1500 thru hike than not thru hike at all.

I wouldn't... Sounds like misery to me. :)

nitewalker
04-05-2011, 18:16
Well, the OP is talking about a hike something less than 1500 miles. His question was about making it from Springer up to CT. He would have just over a dollar per mile. The question I have is can he make it from GA back to his home in only 3 mos? He should be into now, since he was supposed to be in GA on 4/1.

exactly! he should have no problem geting to ct on that. 100.00$ per 100 miles should be easy.....

Trailbender
04-06-2011, 02:50

It is mainly a mental thing, and mentally redefining what luxury is.

stranger
04-06-2011, 04:17

I don't doubt 'you' enjoyed your zero's in the woods...however other people have different views and opinions on the matter. Yes, some people enjoy hiking on little money (probably because there is no other alternative) and find ways to have an enjoyable hike, most hikers would prefer to have atleast double that amount, many would want triple, and some would need more than that...

Trailbender, you claim you enjoyed your thru-hike while taking zero's in the woods, yet still spent $2400...that's not $1500 now is it? When you say you could hike again on $1500 you are speculating, you have not done it, right?

The point is that I would consider it bad form to tell a prospective thru-hiker that $1500 is enough for a hike. For a second time thru-hiker or seasoned long distance hiker, but for the vast majority of hikers, $1500 dry up in the early mid-atlantic, maybe even the south.

Tell people what they want to hear is not being supportive, it's setting them up for failure.

Rockhound
04-06-2011, 05:36
exactly! he should have no problem geting to ct on that. 100.00$ per 100 miles should be easy.....
I'd agree if this was still 1980 when $1 per mile was a good guestimate. But as Igor says, "Of course the rates have gone up." Seeing how this is the thread starters second post I would suggest he use the $2 per mile rule.
Can it be done for less? Yes, even much less depending upon the hiker but I would much rather have a few dollars left over after my hike than to come up short. It seems many here take a lot of pride being able to hike on a shoestring budget. If that's your thing great, but I feel it is very bad advice for someone new to this site. To the origional poster I would say pawn some of that useless material crap you do not need anyway and take an extra grand.

jersey joe
04-06-2011, 09:48
I concede that a $1500 hike wouldn't be for everyone. In fact, I'd guess that most people wouldn't enjoy a hike done on such little money. Many probably couldn't do it. For some, like me, a thru hike for under $1500 is preferable to spending more. One of the reasons I was out there was to embrace a minimalistic lifestyle.

Trailbender
04-06-2011, 10:07
I don't doubt 'you' enjoyed your zero's in the woods...however other people have different views and opinions on the matter. Yes, some people enjoy hiking on little money (probably because there is no other alternative) and find ways to have an enjoyable hike, most hikers would prefer to have atleast double that amount, many would want triple, and some would need more than that...

Trailbender, you claim you enjoyed your thru-hike while taking zero's in the woods, yet still spent $2400...that's not $1500 now is it? When you say you could hike again on $1500 you are speculating, you have not done it, right?

The point is that I would consider it bad form to tell a prospective thru-hiker that $1500 is enough for a hike. For a second time thru-hiker or seasoned long distance hiker, but for the vast majority of hikers, $1500 dry up in the early mid-atlantic, maybe even the south.

Tell people what they want to hear is not being supportive, it's setting them up for failure.

Well, I spent a lifetime being frugal and poor, so I have had long practice at it. It is a matter of budgeting and self discipline more than anything else. I don't need to speculate, I know for a fact I could do it on $1500, or less. After cutting out the gear, it was around $2100, and now I know exactly which towns are cheaper to stop at, cheaper hostels, ect.

The point also is to redefine what you see as luxury, that way you don't feel deprived. Get to the point where you feel a regular town meal is a luxurious splurge, and you will be able to save money.

By the way, I am going to be living on the AT after April, so I guess I will find out how cheap I am.

10-K
04-06-2011, 10:09
One of the reasons I was out there was to embrace a minimalistic lifestyle.

I can see that for sure.

I guess I'm just getting old. AARP is going to come knocking in a few months. :)

10-K
04-06-2011, 10:10
By the way, I am going to be living on the AT after April, so I guess I will find out how cheap I am.

You're not going to be one of those creepers who hang out at shelters are you?? :)

Trailbender
04-06-2011, 11:03
You're not going to be one of those creepers who hang out at shelters are you?? :)

I prefer sleeping in my tent, actually. And I am out there to hike, living at a shelter would be boring, though I do enjoy relaxing woods zeroes. I have several years of construction experience, so I plan on doing odd jobs around towns every once in awhile. I have enough for a little over a year on the AT in the bank right now though, so I am not starting out flat broke. I got work for stay at most of the hostels I stopped at, and I am going to try to see if I can wash dishes for a couple of hours in exchange for a restaurant meal, basically spend as little as possible along the way.

If I can get a reputation going for being a fair, hard worker, it should spread as I try to find work. I am not sure how long I will do this, I thought a thru last year would cure me of it, but the AT has a strong magnetic force on me for some reason.

lilricky
04-06-2011, 12:12
Just to chime in here, I would say about 1/3 of the people I met on the trail we're constantly hitting trail towns anytime they were near. And from the responses here, it seems that's about the same here. You don't need to hit towns every 2-3 days for beer/drinks, motel rooms, etc to have fun and enjoy your trip. Nor do you have to buy alcohol(the drinking type, not the burning type),bring it to the shelter, to get plastered every night keeping your fellow hikers awake at "partying" all hours(Can you tell I have an axe to grind?). Your $1500 is easily enough for resupply and occasional hostel stay. Don't let the party animals discourage you! Have fun!

Rockhound
04-06-2011, 13:01
One point I see that is not addressed here is quality of food/resupply. Yep you can avoid staying in towns, partying, drinking etc... to do your hike on the cheap. And when I hiked low budget I also lived on Ramens, gorp, pop tarts, candybars etc...,relied on dollar stores for my resupply. however recently I have gone through an experience that helped emphasize how important nutrition and a good diet can be. Fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grain foods can easily be part of a trail diet if one so chooses and it does cost more. Just something to think about. You would hate to go 500 miles and then have to get off the trail for double bypass surgery. Just sayin'

Fog Horn
04-06-2011, 13:13
One point I see that is not addressed here is quality of food/resupply. Yep you can avoid staying in towns, partying, drinking etc... to do your hike on the cheap. And when I hiked low budget I also lived on Ramens, gorp, pop tarts, candybars etc...,relied on dollar stores for my resupply. however recently I have gone through an experience that helped emphasize how important nutrition and a good diet can be. Fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grain foods can easily be part of a trail diet if one so chooses and it does cost more. Just something to think about. You would hate to go 500 miles and then have to get off the trail for double bypass surgery. Just sayin'

I for one, am very happy you are okay, and will be taking your lesson with me when I thru next year. I don't always learn from other people, but this is a priceless life lesson, so thank you, and welcome back!

Trailbender
04-06-2011, 14:03

I ate ok, rice sides, ect, got apples and stuff in towns. The fact is, you can literally eat junk and it doesn't matter. You are burning so many calories every day, that it isn't a huge deal.

I found dollar general to be an excellent place to resupply, personally.

stranger
04-06-2011, 19:52
I prefer sleeping in my tent, actually. And I am out there to hike, living at a shelter would be boring, though I do enjoy relaxing woods zeroes. I have several years of construction experience, so I plan on doing odd jobs around towns every once in awhile. I have enough for a little over a year on the AT in the bank right now though, so I am not starting out flat broke. I got work for stay at most of the hostels I stopped at, and I am going to try to see if I can wash dishes for a couple of hours in exchange for a restaurant meal, basically spend as little as possible along the way.

If I can get a reputation going for being a fair, hard worker, it should spread as I try to find work. I am not sure how long I will do this, I thought a thru last year would cure me of it, but the AT has a strong magnetic force on me for some reason.

Well more power to ya, I know what it's like to lack resources, been there most of my life and it's my life's work to change that.

Again, I don't doubt you have a system, and discipline that works for you, clearly it does...but what works for you won't work for someone else 9 times out of 10.

Most hikers, who won't have that discipline, will probably find themselves running out of money on $1500.

ScrapIron
04-12-2011, 23:49

I do it all the time. Bumming and panhandling is cool. Lowers the grocery bill and is a great way to supplement my income, so that I have more time to hike.

I will check in with you before I do it again though; just to make sure everything is kosher. I'd hate for a nameless, faceless person on some hiking themed message board to judge me...;)

ScrapIron
04-14-2011, 15:30
I like Trailbender. He is always going against the grain, thumbing his nose at conventional wisdom. The consummate idealist!

Dude, I wish you all the best in your adventure. I only wish that I had a set as big as yours and could just walk away from it all. Sounds so inviting!

tigerpaw
04-16-2011, 06:58
It's not really about how many calories you consume, the quality of the calories counts, even if you are burning them off. Your body handling it and it being what your body needs are not the same.

I agree that luxury is relative and no two folks on here seem to agree exactly what it is. Good luck living on the trail. I hope that you will keep a good journal, because you will surely have rich experiences.

On another topic... As far as bumming and panhandling goes, that doesn't remotely fit the definition of cool, no matter how you slice it. No one thinks you need their permission, but no one made a snide, smart-a$$ comment to you, either. Hike your own hike, live your own life, but get a job, do some work and don't beg.

sbhikes
04-16-2011, 10:38
Trailbender, I like your style. I hope you can report in from time-to-time how the work as you go plan is going. I wish I had the courage and the skills.

jima59
04-16-2011, 18:29
Are you going for the trail or the beer and pizza binges. I don't drink, dont eat junk food and hate being around people that do drink for fun. I would say it's doable if you concentrate on the trail experience rather than the motel/hotel 8 experience.

kayak karl
04-16-2011, 18:40
I like Trailbender. He is always going against the grain, thumbing his nose at conventional wisdom. The consummate idealist!

Dude, I wish you all the best in your adventure. I only wish that I had a set as big as yours and could just walk away from it all. Sounds so inviting!
put the idiot on a pedicel. LOL

protargol
04-16-2011, 19:25
Are you going for the trail or the beer and pizza binges. I don't drink, dont eat junk food and hate being around people that do drink for fun. I would say it's doable if you concentrate on the trail experience rather than the motel/hotel 8 experience.

I'd like to point out that it is possible to have beer and not make an ass out of yourself or disturb others. I for one don't imagine myself doing the motel experience much, but if I bring in a beer or two on resupply days, I don't see why you should care all that much.

And my gf doesn't drink; it's a personal preference thing for everyone.

Trailbender
04-16-2011, 20:56

Not an idiot, thanks.

ScrapIron
04-16-2011, 21:04

Uh..."pedicel"?

Alrighty then.

darkage
04-16-2011, 21:51
I actually slept better in my tent than I did in hostels. Got a motel once, split 3 ways. I have never seen a motel room worth its price. I did my thru on $2400 and I felt like I did a lot of splurging. That also included buying/experimenting with gear along the way(not all of my gear, just a few items). I also took creek baths and washed my clothes by the creek a few times as well. A shower feels nice, psychologically, but I got almost as clean with soap, hot water, and a rag. With what I know now, I could do a thru on $1500 and not feel deprived. The only thing I missed on my thru was my computer and playing online videogames.

Thumbs up! Exactly.

Trailbender
04-17-2011, 05:07
Uh..."pedicel"?

Alrighty then.

Yeah, he is a mindless, brainwashed consumerist who purely judges success by how much money you can make.

DapperD
04-18-2011, 20:39

I'd like to point out that it is possible to have beer and not make an ass out of yourself or disturb others. I for one don't imagine myself doing the motel experience much, but if I bring in a beer or two on resupply days, I don't see why you should care all that much.

And my gf doesn't drink; it's a personal preference thing for everyone.I don't think he was saying he has a problem with someone having "a beer or two" but dislikes being around people who are out to deliberately heavily indulge in drinking to excess. At least this is what I take it to mean. And I think he is just stating to the OP that his section hike from Georgia to Connecticut is "doable" on $1500 if he sets out and really expeditiously hikes the trail rather than spending his funds lingering around to party and socialize.

jfan
04-19-2011, 22:22

This is one of the funniest comments I've read here.

Busker
04-21-2011, 15:05
I am planning on doing a months hike through Virginia and was planning on having a 1000 dollars of cash with me. Thats what I would tend to carry with me here in the Uk as many places dont take cards. Does that seem like a safe thing to do in the US?

flemdawg1
04-21-2011, 17:10
If you have a Visa debit card, that's the best way to go. Low liability if stolen, easily replaced, accepted by most merchants and can be used at ATMs if cash is needed.
Plus more favorable exchange rate (or used to be).

DapperD
04-21-2011, 19:09
I am planning on doing a months hike through Virginia and was planning on having a 1000 dollars of cash with me. Thats what I would tend to carry with me here in the Uk as many places dont take cards. Does that seem like a safe thing to do in the US?If you had to you could, however I would not expose that much money around as it could place you at risk. Also if you lost your cash then that would be a real major bummer.

If you have a Visa debit card, that's the best way to go. Low liability if stolen, easily replaced, accepted by most merchants and can be used at ATMs if cash is needed.
Plus more favorable exchange rate (or used to be).This is good advice. There are some costs associated with buying and using a pre-paid Visa card. One good thing about it is it can be pre-loaded with however much one would need, say the $1000 mentioned, and I believe you can add more onto it if it became necessary to.

44terryberry
04-26-2011, 17:10
the 1500$ was just for the beer,,,right?

Edvvard
05-07-2011, 21:55

Do you guys think that 2 people could do the trail on around $3600? That's 1800 each and neither of us plan on utilizing hostels/hotels/restaurants to save money

Blissful
05-07-2011, 22:01
neither of us plan on utilizing hostels/hotels/restaurants to save money

Not realistic to assume this sitting at your keyboard safe at home until you have been wet, cold, smelly, moldy, and starving for weeks on end....
Just sayin

tolkien
05-09-2011, 12:12
I am planning on doing a months hike through Virginia and was planning on having a 1000 dollars of cash with me. Thats what I would tend to carry with me here in the Uk as many places dont take cards. Does that seem like a safe thing to do in the US?
1000$ for Virginia is a bit much, I think. And it's just as safe as anyplace else(that isn't a city). Be smart. You'll be fine.

stranger
05-10-2011, 04:13
Do you guys think that 2 people could do the trail on around $3600? That's 1800 each and neither of us plan on utilizing hostels/hotels/restaurants to save money

I personally think it's unlikely for the average person to hike on $1800 if they have little to no long distance hiking experience.

Two people, working together on $3600? Changes things a little, splitting motel rooms could save you $500-600 if you are doing a motel every 100 miles with a dozen zeros. Splitting shuttle costs could add up to a $100 I suppose, but can't see anything else that would be cheaper by hiking with another person.

Look at it another way...$1800 means $1.20/mile, this means if you stay disciplined and walk straight by Neels Gap, upon reaching Hiawassee you would have $80 to spend. That's IF you manage to walk past Neels Gap and avoid Helen, assuming you stay in Hiawassee, consider the Blueberry Patch will most likely be full in season, so you might do something like this:
- Hiawassee Inn $23-25 per night sharing a room
- Meal at Huddle House with tip $15
- Laundry $3-5
That leaves only $37 to resupply, eat breakfast, coffee, send mail, etc...

You would be unlikely to get out of town without exhausting your budget, now 41 miles later you come to Winding Stair Gap and Franklin, you would have another $49 at your disposal, which would mean a quick resupply and AYCE at Shoneys only, then back to trail...you might leave Franklin with $15 in reserves, might...

28 miles later, with $48 available to come to NOC, scarf a burger and get a few snacks, leave with $24 or so bucks, 30 miles later in Fontana Dam you would have around $60 to spend, this would be 100 miles from Hiawassee and you might want a room and shower, the rooms here are $70/night and you would need a decent resupply.

So yes, it sounds doable...but most people I hiked with in 1995, 2001, and 2008 struggled with this type of budget...this is without getting sick, injured or needing new gear.

stranger
05-10-2011, 04:17

I know you 'don't plan' on doing this but...

Blissful is right, do you know what it's like to walk hundreds of miles down a trail, have your body burn 6000 calories per day, while nursing blisters, on a rainy day? Then you come to a road crossing and a motel, shower, laundry and restaurant is 2 miles down the road?

95% of hikers will go to the motel 'just this one time'...

Repeat
Repeat
Repeat
Repeat
Repeat
Repeat
Repeat