PDA

View Full Version : water purification

billygut
03-16-2011, 21:38
Just needed some advice of the best water purification system to thru hike the at. im not sure whether to use tablets or a filter sytem.ive used iodine before.but this thru hike is going to be my furthest ever done.any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.btw anyone else departing april 2012?

4shot
03-17-2011, 08:19
like the recent post re:stoves - the answer is aqua mira, bleach, polar pure, water filter, no treatment at all, etc. will all suffice and I've seen thru hikers who used each. it's a matter of preference, although the no treatment option is too much of a risk for me. I used A.Mira and had my Katadhin filter from Pa. -thru NJ as it was very dry and it helped me pump water when it was too shallow to fill my bottle.If you can't decide,just write them down on a slip of paper and pick one from a hat.

garlic08
03-17-2011, 09:13
I'd stay away from the iodine for long-term use. Aquamira scares me a little less than iodine or pure bleach, but it still scares me, so I use it sparingly. Filters never worked well for me long term, either--mechanical devices tend to break with such frequent use. You may find a filter that works. Many do, but it usually takes a while to find one.

What ended up working best for me was trusting the abundant spring water on the AT and treating with Aquamira what I didn't trust. It's a lightweight, durable, and cheap solution--I spent less than $12 on water treatment for an AT thru hike.

For every ten replies on this forum, you'll get eleven ideas.

10-K
03-17-2011, 10:52

...and that's on a good day!

BAG "o" TRICKS
03-17-2011, 11:03
Just needed some advice of the best water purification system to thru hike the at. im not sure whether to use tablets or a filter sytem.ive used iodine before.but this thru hike is going to be my furthest ever done.any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.btw anyone else departing april 2012?

Suggest using a 2 liter water gravity feed sack/bag with a screw or inline replaceable filter to prefilter any questionable water and for an extra safety measure I would couple this filtering with the new lightweight 3.2oz steripen system which will pretty much kill everything.

JaxHiker
03-17-2011, 11:10
I finally tried chemicals last night. I've always used my Hiker Pro but I'm thinking of switching to chemicals to save weight. I did a test between Micropur and Aqua Mira drops. I detected a very slight bleach taste with the Micropur but nothing that would keep me from drinking it. I didn't taste anything with the AM. You'll definitely want some lighter bottles for the AM though as they feel hefty.

jbwood5
03-17-2011, 11:35
The only problem I've had with just using chemicals is that occasionally you will come across a source of water that is too small to get in a bottle. You can pump from the smallest puddles, but try getting much water in a bottle and either you will only get some or, what you get, takes too long or gets too dirty. Then you have to wait for the chemicals to work. On a hot day, there is nothing better than immediately getting spring cold water in your gut. I carry chemicals for backup since filter can clog and break.

double j
03-23-2011, 21:24
bleach use 2 drops per quart

jdb
03-23-2011, 21:43
I just ordered a SteriPen.

Sierra Echo
03-23-2011, 21:49
I just got a Katahdyn Hiker Pro. I aint taking no chances! Who cares about weight when it comes to your health. I will strap the damn thing to my head and carry it that way if I have too. On an totally unrelated note, my back wont stop itching!

Ladytrekker
03-23-2011, 22:31
I use a botabottle. Easy simple light and I have never been sick and I drink Florida creek water. yum, but tonight I settled for a quiness.

Blissful
03-24-2011, 10:09
You can use those water filters but I can't begin to tell you how many ditched them when they stopped working after two weeks on my SOBO and switched to Aqua Mira. Its all you need for the AT, along with maps to tell you where the beaver ponds are to avoid

broccoligreen
03-29-2011, 00:26
I started out with a MSR Miniworks but got tired of pumping so much for cooking and basically any time ever. it's so slow and tedious! Then I got the MSR Hyperflow, which was much faster, but only for a short period of time until the filter presumably got clogged despite my backflushing. Apparently you have to not only watch out for dirt, but tannin in leaves can also affect quality of filtration. Finally I got the MSR gravity filter, and that was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my thru hike. I was hiking with a partner so it was really annoying to filter ~3 liters/night for cooking and drinking, but even for one person I'd recommend it. It's only slightly more effort than iodine, and it tastes much better imo.

ScottP
03-29-2011, 13:06
I'd stay away from the iodine for long-term use. Aquamira scares me a little less than iodine or pure bleach, but it still scares me, so I use it sparingly. Filters never worked well for me long term, either--mechanical devices tend to break with such frequent use. You may find a filter that works. Many do, but it usually takes a while to find one.

What ended up working best for me was trusting the abundant spring water on the AT and treating with Aquamira what I didn't trust. It's a lightweight, durable, and cheap solution--I spent less than $12 on water treatment for an AT thru hike.

What this guy said. Although I trust bleach a bit more than aqua mira, but you'd have to ask a biochemist for the right answer.

skooch
03-29-2011, 14:10
Aquamira works well. No filter. We brought enough water while dayhiking last weekend but I wanted to try it on some very dark (like tea), clear, standing water. I followed the directions exactly. The water color lightened up but not all the way. I drank a liter. tasted great. no ill effects. I was prepared not to trust it.

Mags
03-29-2011, 14:50
There is no best of any gear..only what is best for you...

http://www.pmags.com/a-drop-in-the-water-bottle-water-treament-methods

Summary: Use a water treatment method that works for you. Treat water when in doubt. More importantly listen to Mom and wash those hands!!!

billygut
04-01-2011, 22:23
thanks for the help.i think i will avoid filters and try aqua mira when in doubt.most people here seem to be using that.i want the easiest, lightest way. am seems to be it.i will try it this spring on my training hikes

Freedom Walker
04-01-2011, 22:48
I just got a Katahdyn Hiker Pro. I aint taking no chances! Who cares about weight when it comes to your health. I will strap the damn thing to my head and carry it that way if I have too. On an totally unrelated note, my back wont stop itching!

Thanks for your post. I have been been leaning towards Aqua for my future AT hikes to save the weight, but you just convinced me to save it other ways. Water is a critical need. I do have a Katadyn Vario now which is 19 oz. It has always worked well. The pro is listed at 12oz and is now on my wish list.

CrumbSnatcher
04-01-2011, 22:58
hiker pro for me :)

q-tip
04-21-2011, 14:20
Steripen Opti for immediate water purification---use Aqui Tabs for 3L bladder at the end of the day---batteries sl;asted 10 days before replacement...

Busker
04-21-2011, 14:59
Hi,
I have been hiking for years all over the world. I found Iodine by far the best and boiling the water when I wanted a pleasant experience. Never had any ill effects - mind you thats not what my colleagues would say :-)

Chubbs4U
04-21-2011, 15:16
I have a question. Say you use a steripen, how do you sterilize the water? Do you put it in a container and use the pen there? Is the container now contaminated? How do people go about this? I have a pump and a pen so I'm asking for knowledge.

Hikes in Rain
04-21-2011, 16:17
Haven't used one, but yes, you'd fill your water bottle. As you sterilize the water, you also sterilize the bottle.

And kudos for you for using the correct word! Silly pet peeve of mine, likely from way too much education to let me do anything useful. Filters, pills, drops and such don't purify; that is, they don't leave just pure water with no minerals and such. They sterilize, or at least disinfect. See, told you it was silly.

WILLIAM HAYES
04-21-2011, 22:05
streipen with aqua mira as a backup

Bamboo Brian
04-21-2011, 22:36
I'm with Double J. I use 3 drops Clorox per liter, then wait 30 minutes. I have been in the water treatment chemical business for 25 years --- nothing beats this incredibly cheap, effective oxidizing biocide.

Trailbender
04-21-2011, 23:59
Bleach, 2 drops per quart, wait 20 mins.