PDA

View Full Version : A thought about what to tell people that never have hiked.

Wise Old Owl
03-16-2011, 22:11
What do you say? You are for a moment watching a Marathon and a group of people take off after the main group leaves, yes its the folks that have never marathon before. In fact they have never run before... Never worked out. Never Excercised, Yet there they are, they are in a Marathon...

Now take it up a notch... Its the Nobo to Maine and there you are surrounded by folks that have never hiked before and have a kitchen sink in the pack. Do you have a conversation? or ask a few questions.... Yet there they are...

dragoro
03-16-2011, 22:16
More power to them for trying.

Bo Knows
03-16-2011, 22:18
thatll be me in 12 days, lets have a conversation.

Driver8
03-16-2011, 22:25
"what to tell people that never have hiked."

HIKE! Join us! It's fun, and good for you.

fiddlehead
03-16-2011, 22:37
Good Luck!

Northern Lights
03-16-2011, 22:41
What do you say? You are for a moment watching a Marathon and a group of people take off after the main group leaves, yes its the folks that have never marathon before. In fact they have never run before... Never worked out. Never Excercised, Yet there they are, they are in a Marathon...

Now take it up a notch... Its the Nobo to Maine and there you are surrounded by folks that have never hiked before and have a kitchen sink in the pack. Do you have a conversation? or ask a few questions.... Yet there they are...

You do both, you ask them if they feel they really need the kitchen sink, help them come to the realization that they don't through conversation, thank them for leaving the kitchen sink and hike on.

Feral Bill
03-16-2011, 22:42
To quote Woody Guthrie: "Take it easy, but take it."

Skid.
03-17-2011, 08:14
Some people are convinced that they cannot hike without the kitchen sink. I tell them do it for a couple of days, then spread everything out on the floor, and separate into: 'never used', 'used a few times', and 'used a lot'. Discard the first two piles, then look at 'used a lot', and find lighter weight alternatives.

leaftye
03-17-2011, 08:17
I wouldn't tell them anything unless they ask.

Lone Wolf
03-17-2011, 08:19
I wouldn't tell them anything unless they ask.yup. let them learn on their own. it ain't rocket science

attroll
03-17-2011, 08:43
This can be a touchy subject when trying to offer suggestions to people who are just starting out on there thru hike. Some think they know it all and don't want to here someone else tell them what they should and should not carry. While others are willing to listen. Sometimes when offering suggestions you have to be careful in how you come across.

What would I tell them,
Keep a positive attitude.
Socialize with others.
Don't go to bed hungry.
Be careful with your money.
Don't listen to your first thoughts about getting off the trail.
Don't pass up a good water source.
Filter your water.
Go light but be safe about it.
If your willing to carry it then go for it.
When it starts to rain or drizzle, put you pack rain cover on then. Don't procrastinate over it.
If you start getting cold, put a layer on then. Don't procrastinate over it.
Listen to your feet.
It is not about the miles, it is about the smiles.

That is all I can think of now, off the top of my head.

skooch
03-17-2011, 09:14
I find it hard to believe that people really leave home without doing their research. gear, food, pack weight, footwear. These things are nothing like our normal lives. Thanks Atroll for a fabulous resource.

V Eight
03-17-2011, 09:27
Having only been back to hiking just over a year. The lessons I learned
30 years ago, are still true today. My approach is usually to inform them that are
options for some of that heavy gear. The rest is like teach by example,
this is what works for me and it might work for them. Many of them get all there
information from Backpacker mag., Wally world, other inexperienced friends, ect.

I read somewhere, maybe WB, maybe somewhere else, that you can tell someone’s
fears by the excess weight they carry in there pack. I think this especially true for people just starting.

We as experienced hikers can do a lot to dispel many of those fears and therefore lightening there load.
I do my very best not to embarrass or ridicule them in anyway.

We were all newb’s once and most of us have carried less than optimal gear
(optimal being relative to person carrying it).

Blissful
03-17-2011, 09:35
If at first you don't succeed, try try again.

skooch
03-17-2011, 10:42
That's a really good point Tiquer. I'm kinda frightened too. A healthy bit I think. You sound like a very kind person.

max patch
03-17-2011, 10:50
I don't tell them anything unless they ask. I also don't mention my hiking resume unless asked.

Nothing worse than a know it all blowhard giving unsolicited advice.

fredmugs
03-17-2011, 11:03
I find it hard to believe that people really leave home without doing their research. gear, food, pack weight, footwear. These things are nothing like our normal lives. Thanks Atroll for a fabulous resource.

You're kidding right? People are stupid.

4eyedbuzzard
03-17-2011, 11:29
Kind of like any other vacation, lay out everything you think you want or need to take in one pile, and all your money in another. Then take half of the stuff and twice the money.

Croft
03-17-2011, 12:38
No matter how much research or testing of gear, as a newbie hiker on the AT last year, I really didn't know what I was doing when I started. My pack didn't have the kitchen sink in it, but was too heavy. It took me forever to break camp and get hiking in the morning, etc. etc. Some of the lessons I learned myself, but a lot of them were learned by just watching how the experienced hikers did it. That included their willingness to answer questions and their wisdom in not offering unsolicited advice.

Ladytrekker
03-17-2011, 12:46
3 days with a 40+ lb pack makes you reevaluate your needs real quick well it did for me. The more I hike the less I need. I hiked with someone who brought a hair dryer yes I did not stutter a hair dryer. I am amazed at how many days I can go without a shower or brushing my hair and the funny thing is it doesn't bother me. I think I am growing as a hiker and I like it.

Wise Old Owl
03-17-2011, 13:37
Having only been back to hiking just over a year. The lessons I learned

30 years ago, are still true today. My approach is usually to inform them that are
options for some of that heavy gear. The rest is like teach by example,
this is what works for me and it might work for them. Many of them get all there
information from Backpacker mag., Wally world, other inexperienced friends, ect.

I read somewhere, maybe WB, maybe somewhere else, that you can tell someone’s
fears by the excess weight they carry in there pack. I think this especially true for people just starting.

We as experienced hikers can do a lot to dispel many of those fears and therefore lightening there load.
I do my very best not to embarrass or ridicule them in anyway.

We were all newb’s once and most of us have carried less than optimal gear

(optimal being relative to person carrying it).

I like that one.... there's a thought.

sbhikes
03-17-2011, 14:54
I don't say anything. I just skip by in my skirt and sandals with my tiny pack and say a cheery hello completely NOT out of breath. Then I take a snack break somewhere and let them come and ask me anything they want. Or not. Either way it doesn't ruin my trip.

TheChop
03-17-2011, 15:10
I plan on pushing them and trying to trip them up. With 50-60 lbs unaccustomed pounds on their back they should tip right over. After that they are like a turtle. Either they right themselves and continue the hike stronger for the experience or they spend the night with their soft underbelly exposed to the stars and drop out. It saves everyone a lot of time and is highly entertaining.

Bare Bear
03-17-2011, 15:13
"What we carry reflects our fears." Jelly Bean 06

bigcranky
03-17-2011, 15:14
I only have one piece of standard advice for starting thru-hikers:

Don't quit on a bad day.

Everybody has bad days, and we all want to quit. Take a break, get a shower and some good food, and keep hiking. If you still want to quit after several good days on the trail, then it's time.

Lone Wolf
03-17-2011, 15:37
"What we carry reflects our fears." Jelly Bean 06

maybe for jelly bean

RayBan
03-17-2011, 19:31
maybe for jelly bean

Agreed...if what we carry reflects our fears then a fortiori the person who carries nothing must have no fears...of course that person may also be found dead somewhere in the Whites...

Mountain Mike
03-17-2011, 22:50
I thru-hiked in 88. Year after Nat. Geo did an article on thru-hiking the trail. Lots of inexperienced hikers out there that year. Many that had never backpacked before. After a few days on hiker with enourmous pack came into Gooch gap Shelter cursing his pack weight. When I asked if he had backpacked much he replied no but he had read a lot of Ed Garvey books. I helped him trim some weight. He had a full industrial first aid kid, big bath towel, brand new top of line Silva compass complete with leather case. I suggested ditching the case but keep the compass untill he said he didn't know how to use it. When I asked why he had it...because it was on list of essential items to take.

Yet many of these novices made it to big K. The ones that learned & adapted.