PDA

View Full Version : Need

DarkBunny
03-16-2011, 22:13
Hey guys, got some great info when buying my pack from the gear threads. Now moving on to sleeping arrangements and am strongly leaning towards hammock versus tent. My question is, I am planning to do my first section hike starting at Springer Mountain in August (going up to North Carolina border), with that in mind do you think I need a sleeping bag or a sleeping pad for this trip? Or can I just use the hammock alone for this small trip in such a hot time of year? Anyone with personal experience that they can share? TIA!

Hikerhead
03-16-2011, 23:18
I'd still take the bag.

Joey C
03-16-2011, 23:25
Hammocks, being up in the air, tend to have cool "bottoms" in temps below 75F. Unless you can guarantee that each night will be warmer than that, you'll experience what's known as CBS, or cold butt syndrome. For August, a pad should do well. Just know that, in some hammocks, pads are difficult to keep in place. They will slide out from under you. CCF, or closed cell foam, pads tend to hold their place the best. Many use cheap blue one's from Walmart with success.

Anyway, checkout hammockforums.net, which is a spin off from this site, if you want more info on hammocks. Be sure to check out the video section, especially the "Hammock for Noob's" by Shug series. Great stuff!

Skid.
03-17-2011, 07:18
My daughter ditched her sleeping bag and only used a hammock in the hotter months when she was thru hiking. I take a pad along, and if it's going to be a cooler nite, I set the hammock up so it rests lightly on the ground, with the pad underneath it. Makes it a little more difficult to get into the hammock, however it works for me.

gunner76
03-19-2011, 22:45
Get a Warbonnet Blackbird double as the double makes it easy to keep a pad in place and comes with a built in bug screen. I use a Wallyworld blue pad in mine. I would take light sleeping bag or quilt or poncho liner as it can still get cool at night.

Egads
03-20-2011, 09:38
Pad + top quilt / bag
or
bottom + top quilt / bag

GvilleDave
03-28-2011, 11:42
If your pack uses a folded pad for support instead of a framesheet then use that pad as your insulation under you in the hammock and pair it up with a lighter sleeping bag unzipped 3/4 and drapped over your top like a quilt. Or use a light quilt or blanket on top and supplement on a cooler night w/ more clothing.

I agree though you should have some type insulation under you even in the warmer months. I sleep without a top quilt more often in the summer than I have nights without sometype of bottom insulation.