PDA

View Full Version : Cheapes MRE site I've Found Yet

Newb
01-12-2005, 17:11
Hey all. IF you like MREs you also know that they're expensive. There is a good site I found that sells them at relatively low prices and allows you to mix and match as you see fit.

http://www.longlifefood.com/

Personally, I like the vegetarian entrees, fruit pouches, spiced cider mix as well as the pumpkin cake. MREs are a great way to eat on the trail because of the FAST preparation time. If you don't want to buy the MRE heaters just boil the meal in some water to heat it up. Or eat it cold.

The only draw-back is MRE's produce garbage. If you carry a hobo stove you can burn the cardboard boxes when you need kindling. Don't, of course, burn the laminated pouches.

The Solemates
01-12-2005, 17:21
I would hardly call this cheap. I bought 2 24 pack cases of full MREs (48 entrees, side dishes, and everything else that MREs entail) for $65 on eBay before our thru-hike. We then just split em up as we saw fit. On this site a 24 pack of just the meat entree is $52!

The Solemates
01-12-2005, 17:22
Correction: $54!

Newb
01-13-2005, 10:38
Nothing competes with Ebay, but you can't always count on Ebay.

Doctari
01-13-2005, 11:34
Sportsman's guide sometimes has cases http://www.sportsmansguide.com/
Today (01/13/05) they have a 12 pack case for $44.97 plus shipping (or $40.47 if a "Club member").
If the item is in stock, it's shipped (almost) instantly. I usually get the item in 2 days. The longest I ever waited was 4 days, & I think that was cause the item was out of stock.

I like the other site for the individual portions, I really like the "snack bread".

Doctari.

SGT Rock
01-13-2005, 12:11
Don't waste your money. YECH!

The Solemates
01-13-2005, 15:04
Don't waste your money. YECH!

Im surprised to hear that from you. I dont think they are bad at all.

SGT Rock
01-13-2005, 16:42
I eat them way too much, they all are on the bottom of my list of backpacking food for a lot of reasons such as trash, weight, cost, but mostly because I can stand to look at them anymore.

01-13-2005, 19:33
I understand Rock. It is hard to relay how bad they are after having nothing else for weeks at a time.
However now that I have been free for several years they are pretty good on a very limited bases. But I will not long hike with them.

foggy-bottom
01-13-2005, 20:28
Umm you people eat that Crap?:cool:
Foggy

brian
01-13-2005, 21:04
Oh, you must be mistaken. My neighbors work in the reserves, and I get a probably 30 MRE's a year. Do I eat more than 2 a year? Of course not. But I have NEVER (ever) seen one item quiet an entire troop of Boy Scouts, competing for a chance to win one for lunch!!

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013

Newb
01-14-2005, 14:53
MREs as a "sole source" of food will have certain effects on you. First, when you go on an all MRE diet you may notice that you haven't had a BM for several days. Don't worry, what's happening is an intended effect of the MREs. They will, after an uncomfortable adjustment of 3 to 5 days render you not only "regular" but turn each and every trip to the bathroom into a "weighty" experience. :-?

I don't dislike them. I like the idea of cherry-picking some field stripped meals and adding them to my pack. Some of the entrees are pretty good in my opinion, especially the Vegetarian meals, and the chil-mac. I also like how fast I scarf one down using the heating element.

I still prefer MREs to B-rats. I do miss buying them for 27.50 a case in the Air Force :( But I wouldn't want a whole case anyways.

kjumper1
10-25-2005, 04:46
just beware that even MREs go bad! they have an expiration date on them i believe after 5 yrs from manufacture. this date is on the outside of the original packing box, but it wont be on the actual meal itself. u may be buying expired meals so be warned about this. when a certain lot # of MREs is close to the expiration date the military has a medical section test 10% of that lot # to see if certain items have gone bad and if they have then they will post a "vet letter" stating which items are not consumable. trust me on this one as i have done the issuing on these here in the Marine Corps and there were alot of items that were bad. if an MRE is keep in a cool storage site then they will be good well past the 5 yr mark, but alot of times unused meals are turned back in for later re-issue and these have been sitting in the sun and this speeds up the expiration time considerably. im sure the ones u buy from certain vendors are good to go, but id watch out for the ones people sell on E bay! JUST BE CAREFUL WHAT U BUY FOLKS

fiddlehead
10-25-2005, 08:36
They are wicked heavy for backpacking. and all that trash to carry out??? (and they are huge to carry)
I only use them for whitewater kayaking as they are waterproof but not very tasty for sure.

Newb
10-25-2005, 10:57
They are wicked heavy for backpacking. and all that trash to carry out??? (and they are huge to carry)
I only use them for whitewater kayaking as they are waterproof but not very tasty for sure.
You can now buy COLD WEATHER MREs on Ebay. These are the BIG calorie MREs with the Freeze-dried ingredients. They are much lighter and pack a bigger punch.

CynJ
10-25-2005, 11:59
www.cheaperthandirt.com (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com) has MRE's too - six 8oz servings of sloppy joe is $9.97

TrailSweeper
10-25-2005, 12:22
When I retired I said 2 things I would never do again, use single ply toilet paper or eat an MRE.

kjumper1
10-26-2005, 07:15
i would have to say that the RCWs(ration cold weather) is by far much tastier than the regular MREs. u have to reconstitute them, but it is well worth the time and the pack much lighter. they come together as 2 bags make 1 complete meal. basically ur main meal for dinner and the other bag has stuff for breakfast and lunch. mostly high calorie sweets. if u can get ur hands on some of these go for it! u wont be dissappointed.