PDA

View Full Version : pants for april start?

stonedflea
03-16-2011, 22:53
hey y'all. it seems like a lot of hikers wear convertible pants for their thrus. i'm not going to be able to start before april 1st, and i'll hopefully be on the trail before the middle of april for my nobo. what kind of pants would y'all suggest for someone on a budget? i'm looking to spend less than $100, half that if possible.

are the convertible pants usually waterproof? or do you get a pair of rain pants to wear over them? do you wear a base layer underneath them for warmth? will i need a winter pair of pants and a summer pair if i'm starting in april?

also, as far as fit goes, i like things that sit at the hip. are there any "low rise" hiking pants out there?

thanks in advance for suggestions/input. :)

Joey C
03-16-2011, 23:22
REI Sahara convertible's run around $50-60. They are light, dry fast, and pretty durable. I don't know of any convertible pants that are water proof.

Rain pants are an option. Some carry them, some don't. Frogg Togg's has their Dry Ducks line rain pants/jacket that's fairly inexpensive. The Trail-pac set runs $19.95. I've had mine for 2 years and they still work great.

nitegaunt
03-16-2011, 23:42
Hey gal! Glad you hear you are going to make it! I have two pairs of hiking pants. One is a normal long pant by Marmot that's light and quick drying but not waterproof. The other is a pair of convertibles. I'd suggest, a pair of terrmar bottoms of medium weight and the convertibles if you want to just take one pair. Also, get yourself some dri-ducks or some other cheap and lightweight rain gear instead of spending a bunch of money on a pair of rain pants that your won't end up using for hiking because they will get hot. Anything nylon will dry quick and some of them have a coating that repels rain but, of course, eventually they will get wet. I've heard it said around here a lot that nothing is waterproof, what matters is how fast it dries.

vamelungeon
03-16-2011, 23:46
I've never owned a pair of convertible pants. I've seen some negative posts on here about them, and don't know if I want to spend the money on them since they tend to be pricey. Right now I wear Walmart "Starter" brand shorts in warm weather and the same brand long pants when I need them.
Would it be worth the money to get the convertibles? I'm reading mixed reports on them, and I can buy a LOT of the wally world stuff for what one pair of convertibles costs.

Many Walks
03-17-2011, 00:30
Another vote for REI Sahara Convertibles for guys. I wear them in all seasons for hiking. I've noticed over the years they tend to come up on sale a couple of times a year for about $36. It would be best if the ladies help with suggestions for a “low rise” pant.

Rain gear should be waterproof and I carry a set but tend to use them mostly to maintain warmth in camp as it's too hot for me to hike in except for really extreme conditions. For all other articles of clothing (including boots IMO) it's good to think in terms of fast drying as a opposed to waterproof.
Everything WILL get soaked, so a fast dry is key. “Waterproof” boots will stay wet for days once they're soaked.

For an April 1-15 start I'd carry a mid weight base layer (good to sleep in), Sahara pants, polyester t-shirt, light poly long sleeved pull over shirt, rain gear, and a light down jacket. Accessories are Darn Tuff socks, Exofficio rain hat, poly stocking cap, light gloves and light gators if I'm expecting snow. Boots are Keen or Merrill mid height. This is a combination that has worked well for me to adjust to the weather as needed.

Enjoy your hike!

map man
03-17-2011, 01:53
Campmor (www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com)) makes inexpensive nylon convertible hiking pants that don't cost much more than regular hiking pants. You can also find cheap hiking pants at Sierra Trading Post's website. As others have mentioned, get pants that will dry fast -- untreated nylon. Fashionable low rise pants are likely to be more expensive.

map man
03-17-2011, 01:53
Campmor (www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com)) makes inexpensive nylon convertible hiking pants that don't cost much more than regular hiking pants. You can also find cheap hiking pants at Sierra Trading Post's website. As others have mentioned, get pants that will dry fast -- untreated nylon. Fashionable low rise pants are likely to be more expensive.

daddytwosticks
03-17-2011, 07:28
Another vote for Campor store-brand convertable pants. Mine are still going strong after almost 8 years section hiking. They are not very stylish or name-brand, however, they cover my butt and provide pockets too! :)

Toli
03-17-2011, 07:49
Are you bringing ur Vizsla???

stonedflea
03-17-2011, 10:17
Hey gal! Glad you hear you are going to make it!
briannn :) i thought about you this week when i texted roxanne to see if i could pull a you & "borrow" her markout. ;D things still aren't for sure about my hike... the last thing in my way is getting my truck sold, but i'm prayin' about it and tryin' to get everything in line just in case it sells. i don't want to sell it march 28th and still be sitting around with my thumb up my ass wondering where to go from there. i wanna have pretty much an idea of everything i'll need as soon as i sign the paperwork. :)

I'm reading mixed reports on them, and I can buy a LOT of the wally world stuff for what one pair of convertibles costs.
i am not opposed to w-m gear at allll. as a matter of fact, i read a very good review on here on the coleman max pack, and i bought my pack from there. :) i actually prefer to hike in shorts, so maybe i'll check theirs out! thanks for the suggestion!

Another vote for REI Sahara Convertibles for guys.... For all other articles of clothing (including boots IMO) it's good to think in terms of fast drying as a opposed to waterproof.... For an April 1-15 start I'd carry a mid weight base layer (good to sleep in), Sahara pants, polyester t-shirt, light poly long sleeved pull over shirt, rain gear, and a light down jacket.... This is a combination that has worked well for me to adjust to the weather as needed.

Enjoy your hike!
unfortunately, i checked rei's website and the reviews on their women's saharas are pretty poor. over forty reviews and still a two star rating for the regular fit (petite and plus both have at least 3). so i think i'll pass on those, but thanks so much for the layering suggestion. i was wondering about that as well. what fill constitutes as a light down jacket?

thanks so much! i was going to order a few things from campor this week... i'll have to see if i should add a pair of pants to that order. :)

Another vote for Campor store-brand convertable pants. Mine are still going strong after almost 8 years section hiking. They are not very stylish or name-brand, however, they cover my butt and provide pockets too! :)
i'm not opposed to off-brand or not stylish. :) the low-rise thing was more of a comfort thing for me... i just don't feel comfortable with high waistbands. thanks for your +1 on the pants... i like the reassurance of "real" people on here supporting products as opposed to reviews on websites that were posted years ago.

Are you bringing ur Vizsla???
i sure am. :D

Many Walks
03-17-2011, 12:27
Stonedflea, my jacket is an Outdoor Research Virtuoso 650 fill goose down (80% down/20% feathers). My XL is about 1.5 lb and it packs to the size of a softball. It has a hood, two way zipper, elastic cuffs and good pocket arrangement. They run over $200, but I shopped around and found it on sale this time of year for $84. It's toasty warm in nasty cold weather, light enough to be worth carrying IMO and cheap to ship when not needed in the summer. I got this to replace a much heavier fleece. There are lots of down jackets on the market that have similar qualities. I wouldn't wear it bushwhacking and it's good to be careful around fires with the nylon shell, but it's nice to have when the temps really drop.

On the pants don't pass up the second hand stores. I found 2 brand new North Face nylon hiking pants one day for $4.50 each. Some days you just get lucky.

Good hiking to you!

sixguns01
03-17-2011, 13:01

I'd watch out for the Campmor Brand. All of the items I bought that was the Campmor brand didn't last. No hard use at all. Had to pay a tailor to repair them. Cost more than the items. But, I do love Campmor though. Live 20 mins away from the store and it's my candyland.

I love Columbia Silver Ridge Convert Pants. 8 yrs and still going strong.

garlic08
03-17-2011, 13:04
I tried a pair of those Campmor brand pants last year and they were bad enough to send back. They were very cheaply made and uncomfortable. That's the first time I've done that after decades of shopping at Campmor.

In my latest shopping experience, I've found that convertible pants are actually often cheaper than non-convertible. It seems like they're what's usually on sale lately. They're so popular, it's getting a little hard to find something that's not convertible.

$100 is extremely generous for pants. I've never spent more than $30.

Ditto the second hand stores if you have the time.

For a mid-April start, rain pants are probably a good idea, at least for the first month. I started early April and did not bring long underwear (just long trousers and rain pants), but that was pushing it a little.

scope
03-17-2011, 13:07
I wear some Adidas Revolution pants which have a mesh liner and a tight weave that makes them water and wind resistant - they are not cheap, but often you can find them on sale at the major sports stores. They are great when its warm or cold. They are very light and breathe well in warm weather or when you're sweating in colder weather. For real cold weather, they are great over some longjohns. The mesh seems to help create pockets to keep warm air around the leg, and wicks well when you sweat. I often wear this setup under rain pants when its real, real cold. I pack a very light pair of shorts to have around, but I find the pants work very well for 90% of my hiking. They pack down well so that they are comparable to having to pack the lower part of convertible pants. They are drawstring with elastic, so I can tie them tight or wear without tying for comfort. I know they make them in a women's style as well.

My only dislike is that they aren't as durable as most nylon hiking pants and they tend to run a bit long. I've been using them a while, though, no tears or anything, and for the length, I just fold over the top once or twice.

Slo-go'en
03-17-2011, 13:40
Don't forget about Dickie work pants. They are warmer and more wind proof then nylon convertable pants. While they have some cotton content, they still dry reasonably quickly with body heat. If you go with green pants and a matching shirt, you can be mistaken for a ranger here and there.

Just not sure how they would fit a woman. You have a different shapped butt then guys. I'm not sure about low rise pants for hiking. If your waist belt is above the pants, the pack might tend to pull your pants down.

q-tip
04-03-2011, 22:58
I used 3 0z reebok runing shorts and Under Armour Leggings. dry fast, and saved about 5-6 oz. the hiking pants are ok, but when they get wet--tought to get dry even if I wore them to bed

Trailbender
04-03-2011, 23:24
I never bothered with the convertible pants, I wore some lightweight nylon pants and a long sleeve shirt my whole thru, that way I had to wear less sunscreen. I do have a pair of "rain shorts" I made by cutting down some rain pants. I can wear them in camp as camp shorts, and they protect my crotch and upper legs from rain. Raingear is for cold rain anyways, if it is hot outside and raining, you just get rained on and deal with it.

Amanita
04-06-2011, 00:04
One thing to consider before dropping an arm and a leg on convertible pants is whether you'd rater have separate shorts and pants. The zippers add enough weight to my pair of (Columbia) convertible pants that they weigh the same as 1 pair shorts and 1 pair pants combined. Personally, I'd prefer having separates for the same weight.