PDA

View Full Version : Ward Leonard tales

DEADRECKON'UN
01-12-2005, 17:55
Recently I reread Model-T's "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery" (a great read) and Larry Luxenburg's book on the AT. Both mentioned a hiker named Ward Leonard who has completed the trail 10 times. He is described as something of a curmudgeon but interesting nonetheless. He is a strong hiker and at one time held the speed record for completing the trail. Anyone have any run-ins with him? Interesting stories? Is he still hiking? How old a guy is he?

The Old Fhart
01-12-2005, 18:21
I believe your request for info is innocent enough but I'm afraid this will degenerate into a thread bashing someone who does have problems and doesn't deserve what may follow. All I'll say is Ward is an amazing hiker.

Pecan
01-12-2005, 18:23
I hear he checked hisself into a mental hospital a few years ago.

Scaper
01-12-2005, 18:49
I met Ward on September 21,1990 as I had just come through Mahoosic notch northbound and he was southbound. I had been reading about him in the registers for about 4 months . He was not what I expected after reading all the negative journal comments about him. Ward was very critcal about a number of hikers that year. That's just the way he is. He is not afraid about giving his opinions evening if its very critical. He is a very intense person who can do some hiking. Rumor is he has about 10 thru-hikes but i think its more like 13 . I haven't seen any of his register entries in a number of years. I think he is about 50 yeas old. In 1990 I think he started at Harpers ferry and headed to Springer and then turned around and hiked to Katahdin then back to Harpers Ferry. I hope to see Ward out on the trail again. He was born to hike.

Rocalousas
01-12-2005, 18:54
Rumor is that he was a vagrant some years ago, and when a sheriff stopped him in north Georgia he said that he liked to walk. The sheriff pointed out the AT to him and told him he could walk all the way to Maine on that trail. Don't know if this is true.

The Old Fhart
01-12-2005, 19:03
Post #5 is not true. I believe I did meet the person you just described at Vanderventer shelter in 2000 but that's another story.

Skyline
01-12-2005, 19:19
He's one of the strongest hikers, maybe THE strongest, I've ever met. So long as he stayed on his meds he wasn't a problem to be around. Just the opposite. Thing is, he didn't consistently stay on his meds. Many hikers in the mid-'90s were afraid of him.

He allegedly had been court-ordered to stay off the A.T. for awhile, but that alleged order expired long ago.

In 1999 or 2000, he started signing registers (in Virginia anyway) "Chip" Leonard instead of "Ward." I haven't seen entries by him, or heard much about him, since.

Lone Wolf
01-12-2005, 20:37
I've known Ward for 16 years. He's one hell of a hiker. Can hike 3-4 miles per hour all day long. He has a diagnosed mental disorder. He hiked the trail in 60 days unsupported back in 90. He's about 43 years old.

MOWGLI
01-13-2005, 00:53
Post #5 is not true. I believe I did meet the person you just described at Vanderventer shelter in 2000 but that's another story.

That would be Screamer. I heard some very inspiring stories about him from Gizmo, the AT Caretaker/Ridgerunner. Screamer made it all the way to Maine. Unfortunately, I did not meet him, cause I was ahead of the pack, summiting Katahdin on 8/21/2000.

Rocks 'n Roots
01-13-2005, 01:43
The reason I responded to this thread is because I met a man with long slightly reddish blond hair and worn teeth at Partnership in 2000. I was driving south to Florida at the time. He said his name was "Chip". When I asked him how far he was intending to go north in September he sort of dithered and said something about going another week and turning back south. At that point I figured him for a Trail lingerer type. It wasn't until I got on the internet did I find out that was Ward.

He was spread out in the shelter in low season. He offered to let me read the register and move his stuff over. I told him I was an AT volunteer up in New York so I figured he was a little cautious with me. I gave him a Pepsi and we talked Trail. I could tell he was reading the entire register intently.

Maybe Ward was just off his AT restriction and on his best behavior. After learning on the net about his reputation I found he had allegedly gone through fellow shelter mates packs in front of them in sargeant-like fashion pulling items out and giving a talk-down on unnecessary equipment. (That seems a little manic to me). He was banned from the AT for that. The man I spoke too seemed cogent enough and behaved. I had no overt impression of instability from the man. Had to say that...

weary
01-13-2005, 10:15
I've told this story before, but I can't resist. In 1991 Ward started from Springer in January; walked to Maine; and returned to Springer. My grandson, 9, and I met him in mid August in the 100-mile-wilderness on his second trip to Maine that year and a few days later heading back to Springer.

Ward had a reputation for being obnoxiously unfriendly among hikers that year. But my grandson had a reading problem and communicated with the world by asking questions. He talked to everyone on the trail, whether they wanted to be talked to or not.

I asked Ward if he expected to make it all the way south again. "I don't know," he replied. "I have emotional and money problems."

Then he demanded, "Is that your grandson?"

"Yup," I replied.

"Good," Ward said. "He's the first person I've met on this trail bright enough for me to talk to!"

Weary

Freighttrain
01-13-2005, 12:34
as i was headed nobo 2001 he was a week or two ahead and signing registers... it was weird how he would draw pics of the girls at burgerking, wendys, gas stations...with them saying stuff like "oh chip bla bla"... once he wrote in a register how he was headed home to check himself into a mental hospital because ww3 was about to start.... 911 came a few months later

Rocalousas
01-13-2005, 13:25
once he wrote in a register how he was headed home to check himself into a mental hospital because ww3 was about to start.... 911 came a few months later
creepy. ive heard it said that the mentally ill are not really ill, they just have facilities we dont.

weary
01-13-2005, 13:36
creepy. ive heard it said that the mentally ill are not really ill, they just have facilities we dont.
Ward was (is) different from most people. But so are all who voluntarily walk 2,000 miles, or dream of doing so. I find it sad that both Ward and many of those who met him on the trail failed to recognize each other as fellow walkers and dreamers.

Weary

Jack Lincoln
01-14-2005, 05:30
I appreciate your imput Weary.

Ward suffers from a mental illness which is nothing different from any other type of bodily affliction that one might have. Except, it affects his cognitive skills and also his reasoning. I am sorry if this offends anyone but that is exactly what afflicts me.

I take medication for my illness and I do consider it to be an illness. I am a better man for taking the medication. There are many of you who might well be served by taking the same action that I did some time ago. Whatever, I love you all.

I know and love Ward. He is a great hiker and loves the outdoors. Sometimes he does not take his medications. That ain't my fault.

Hope....

DEADRECKON'UN
01-14-2005, 10:46
Thanks for all the responses. My reason for posting this thread was that I was intrigued after the brief references about him in the books I read. I think I would probably really enjoy meeting him. Interesting to know what his gear critiques were and what he used.

stranger
01-16-2005, 00:12
I think Ward suffers from urban legends. There are so many stories about this guy and they are all generally negative, yet people who actually know him seem to say the guys is alright. The fact is almost all who have experience on the AT have heard of this guy, yet only a small amount have actually met this man. So the stories grow each year.

SalParadise
01-16-2005, 00:43
I think Ward suffers from urban legends. There are so many stories about this guy and they are all generally negative, yet people who actually know him seem to say the guys is alright. The fact is almost all who have experience on the AT have heard of this guy, yet only a small amount have actually met this man. So the stories grow each year.

Great point. It's just more Trail gossip, and in my experience 80 percent of Trail gossip is never true or greatly exaggerated. I think Wingfoot and One-Leg suffer from the same urban legends.

Pencil Pusher
01-17-2005, 18:24
How about the dude hiking in full clothes from head to toe, even in the blazing summer? Or him throwing pebbles at one shelter all night long telling the folks the AT was 'his' trail?

I got a chuckle perusing some of the stories through various sources, but I like the dude nontheless. As far as being 'banned' from the trail, I think that's a load of bs the righteous like to pass off as true.

icemanat95
01-17-2005, 20:38
I've met Ward several times, both while thru-hiking and while doing section hikes and weekends here and there, I've spent some significant time talking to him. While Ward was never acting in a dangerous fashion, he was definitely acting VERY strangely on all occasions. He was always fully clothed (by trail standards) in polypro, hiking shorts, wool socks, etc. If he could get away with it, he wore a polypro balaclava.

Sometimes Ward just seemed a bit hyperactive, at others, downright paranoid and just plain weird. There's been a lot of other talk about Ward out there over the past decade and a half that I've been following the trail world. Some of it seemed fairly silly until I met Ward. Quite frankly, I tend to believe most of it now. But I also don't necessarily hold him accountable for it either...he isn't well.

Ward's WWIII comment doesn't seem so prophetic in light of the fact that he frequently spouted out such things. Every time I ran into him he would let go with some wild dialogue from time to time that tipped you off right away that this guy was not working through the same thought processes as most other people were. I don't put that much stock in the whole collective unconscious thing or other super-natural, stuff. Rather, I suspect that Ward spouted something out and then 9/11 ended up happening...it was a coincidence...after all, a lot of people have been predicting WWIII for a LONG time and it hasn't happened yet.

I don't think Ward is someone who needs to be feared, but neither should he be admired. He is an unfortunate, stricken by a hidden illness, that makes it impossible for him to live within the bounds of "normal" society. I can't think of a better place for him than the trail and I wish him well there. If it brings him some peace, then peace be with him.

The Old Fhart
01-17-2005, 20:53
icemanat95-That pretty well sums up the story of Ward. Good post.

Rocks 'n Roots
01-17-2005, 22:05
I don't put that much stock in the whole collective unconscious thing or other super-natural, stuff. Rather, I suspect that Ward spouted something out and then 9/11 ended up happening...it was a coincidence...after all, a lot of people have been predicting WWIII for a LONG time and it hasn't happened yet.

I had a weird experience while doing trailwork with a man who has torrette's syndrome. The man was perfectly normal until he would occasionally have a fitful tiny voice burst out in inner arguments between internal characters. I paid it no mind because it didn't make any difference to the heavy stonework we were doing. There are those who would avoid people like this because it's too weird. It's more a fact than matter. No value judgment need be attached.

I don't know how to say this without sounding crazy, but I was shocked when I suddenly heard the tiny torrettes voices describe something I had dreamed the night before. This is something only I could know or understand. I wouldn't put it past Ward. You don't know what wavelength he's on...

Lugnut
01-18-2005, 01:54
If not being well is an excuse then many of us here have a free ride coming. :D

Nightwalker
04-22-2007, 21:03
creepy. I've heard it said that the mentally ill are not really ill, they just have facilities we don't.

We see the world differently than the rest of the folks out there. Sometimes better, sometimes worse, sometimes just different.

Nightwalker
04-22-2007, 21:06
Thanks for all the responses. My reason for posting this thread was that I was intrigued after the brief references about him in the books I read. I think I would probably really enjoy meeting him. Interesting to know what his gear critiques were and what he used.

I've always wanted to meet the guy as well. Maybe one day, if I just keep hiking. :)

Speaking of which, going back out to the FHT tonight, much later in the evening. There has to be some upside to not being able to work, and a hike anytime you can afford food and gas is one of the biggest--for me at least.

Wolf - 23000
04-24-2007, 21:24
I've met Ward several times and for a few days hiked with him. I'm one of 3 a small few hikers that he respect. Ward has his problems and some of it is due to his own actions but some is also through the actions of others.

Ward to this day is the strongest hiker I have ever met with 13 hikes. He still has the current speed record for the AT without supported 60 1/2 days (at one time it was the speed record), the only backpacker who has completed the entire AT 3 times plus in one year (done in 8 months). One of the first hikers who ever hiked over 20,000 miles and in the shortest amount of time. He has a list of others that I can not think of. Wards believe was this: He knew if he set a speed record, someone, someday would come around and bet it but to set a list of accomplishments no one hiker could ever bet all of them.

Ward is said to have scare some people. Sometimes it was for just cause others were from other hikers telling some very tall tales of things he could never have done. Ward told me, in his eyes it didn't matter if he did something wrong or not, others hikers were going talk about him regardless. If they could find something, someone would make it up - trail gossip. It's sad to say but there is a lot of truth to how damaging trail-gossip can be. I've seen that first hand.

Ward lost his way after he found there was nothing more he could accomplished. He wonder around the AT for a couple years before getting kicked off by court order.

Wolf

Lone Wolf
04-24-2007, 22:14
ward is a good guy. he has a diagnosed mental illness. i met him 18 years ago. he trusts me to a point. he's one of the few "legends" i'll spend time with

warren doyle
04-24-2007, 23:34
Ward Leonard has completed the entire Appalachian Trail ten times.

little bear
04-24-2007, 23:44
Ward lost his way after he found there was nothing more he could accomplished. He wonder around the AT for a couple years before getting kicked off by court order.

Wolf[/quote]

What did he get banned from the AT for?

attroll
04-25-2007, 02:13
Maybe that you know of.

superman
04-25-2007, 06:41
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Fhart

That would be Screamer. I heard some very inspiring stories about him from Gizmo, the AT Caretaker/Ridgerunner. Screamer made it all the way to Maine. Unfortunately, I did not meet him, cause I was ahead of the pack, summiting Katahdin on 8/21/2000.

I had the pleasure of hiking with both Gizmo and Screamer. Gizmo is a gifted photographer and Screamer is ....gifted.
Screamer was late in the season getting to Bear and Honey's place. He did a work for stay with them. When the snow came bear told Screamer to go home...it is believed that Screamer did.

Lone Wolf
04-25-2007, 07:07

What did he get banned from the AT for?

That's bull. he's not banned from the AT.

Fannypack
04-25-2007, 07:07
superman, pls do a PREVIEW of your post before submitting...ie., use Preview Post button....

it appears u did a cut & paste of the ENTIRE post including avatar, etc..

have a great day...

Fannypack
04-25-2007, 07:09
That's bull. he's not banned from the AT.
was there a time that he was banned from the AT?

or off the trail in a facility for his "mental condition"?

Gray Blazer
04-25-2007, 07:31
How can you be banned from the AT? Who is going to enforce it legally?

Lone Wolf
04-25-2007, 07:33
was there a time that he was banned from the AT?

never that i know of

superman
04-25-2007, 07:47
Hi Fannypack,
Yeah...what a mess that was. It looked fine before I submitted it. I'd never tried to include all that junk before. It appears I can't do that. Thanks for cleaning it up.

rafe
04-25-2007, 09:41
I met Ward twice in 1990. The first time was in spring, while I was coming down off Roan heading nobo. I was oblivious to the hiker "grapevine," I guess, and I'd never heard of him. In our first encounter, he was unpleasant. When I asked his name, he looked at me up and down, and said, "You should know." The conversation went downhill from there. That evening, at Apple House shelter, I related my encounter to the hikers there and only then did I realize who it was I'd met.

I met Ward again in September of that same year, at Baxter. I was starting out a half-hearted flip-flop attempt, and Ward was doing the yo-yo thing. I was settling in for the night at Daicey Pond shelter, and Ward stopped in briefly to sign the register log. We exchanged brief words and that was again the extent of the conversation.

I can say for sure that no other person on the trail that year inspired as much bad karma, hurt feelings, and negative commentary as did Ward. My encounters were both brief, but the guy just radiated bad vibes. Ward was the subject of at least one memorable act at the hiker talent show at Trail Days that year.

ShakeyLeggs
04-25-2007, 09:55
Removed by me

Lone Wolf
04-25-2007, 10:02
I know for a fact he was banned from the trail. I have been trying to find the posting from Karen Lutz about it have been unsucessful. But here is waht happend this is from memory. It happened in Boiling Springs which I only live 6 miles from.

Back in 2000 he walked into the ATC regional office whereupon Karen confronted him about some complaints she had recieved. Ward then went into one of his tirades and was behaving rather badly. Karen then contacted the Federal authoities who have jursidiction over the AT in it's entirity as it is a National Park. He was arrested and brought before a federal judge who imposed a ban on him setting foot on the trail. Also he is permanently banned from Baxter for pushing someone off the trail as well. Well not really banned but under the admonishment that if he sets foot in Baxter he will be trespassing.

extremely hard to enforce if it's true. i've seen him on the trail since 2000

Photofanatic
04-25-2007, 10:43
Oh my gosh, welcome to my world and my family. I have an uncle with bipolar effective disorder and a nephew with tourettes syndrome, my father had a nervous breakdown during ww2 (that is what they called it then) today we call it PTSD. I have also been diagnosed with PTSD caused by "stressors" during my tours of duty.
I just got the results of my IQ test yesterday morning according to that I am in the category of the high end of average 114. I just can't talk worth a **** because my thoughts are faster than than I can talk so my words get mucked up a lot. (most people find that funny, myself included.) and my math skills suck.
Who would have ever figured that I would learn at whiteblaze.net that in this world of so many people we have such a wide range of degrees when we describe "normal." I write this in good humor and am not trying to start an argument. I guess to me it would be "abnormal" for my family to not have some "weird" kink at a family function. Perhaps "abnormal" is what keeps our family laughing and happpppy.

ShakeyLeggs
04-25-2007, 12:13
Removed by me

attroll
04-25-2007, 13:57
I think I may have met Ward once but i am not sure that was him. Does anyone have any pictures of him? i would like to confirm it.

warren doyle
04-25-2007, 15:43
"Quote:
Originally Posted by warren doyle http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=356459#post356459)

Maybe that you know of.

And I would know and do know about this.

The Old Fhart
04-25-2007, 15:50
WD-"And I would know and do know about this."God himself has spoken!:rolleyes:

ShakeyLeggs
04-25-2007, 16:31
Removed by me

rickb
04-25-2007, 18:54
Given that "Ward Leonard" is also the name of fairly well known company in CT, I have always wondered if this well known individual actually uses an adopted name. Probably not, but anyone know for sure?

warren doyle
04-25-2007, 19:01
And one member of the Holy Trinity of Internegators has responded!

The Old Fhart
04-25-2007, 19:23
WD-"And one member of the Holy Trinity of Internegators has responded!
30,000-miler (with padding and bragging)"Just say 'stock reply #1', everyone will know what you mean.;)

Fannypack
04-25-2007, 19:48
God himself has spoken!:rolleyes:
TOF, go on back under that rock or is it, the pile of rocks?

see ya in a few wks...

The Old Fhart
04-25-2007, 20:24
Fannypack-"TOF, go on back under that rock or is it, the pile of rocks?"Mt. Washington is known as the 'Rock Pile' to those of us who have worked or played there.:D

attroll
04-25-2007, 23:41
Here ya go.
Thanks ShakeyLeggs. Now that I have seen the picture I can say that I have not met him. From all I have read i tough he would be much older.

rafe
04-26-2007, 00:22
Thanks ShakeyLeggs. Now that I have seen the picture I can say that I have not met him. From all I have read i tough he would be much older.

He'd be about 40 now, I'd guess. Looked to be in his early/mid 20s, 17 years ago.

ShakeyLeggs
04-26-2007, 00:27
Removed by me

Wolf - 23000
04-26-2007, 10:47

Wolf

What did he get banned from the AT for?[/quote]

Ward got in trouble several times with the courts - nothing serious. He had an altercation with a woman at Baxter State Park and end up getting arested. Normal he would get a slap on the risk, told not to do it again and go on his way. ATC found out about his court appearances and showed up with the complains they recieved over the years about Ward.

The judge told him he realised he had problem but told him he could not continue with this type of behavior. The judge made out a court order he was not to step foot on the AT for 2 years. That time has long past. I've heard rummors that he been out a few times for short times here and there but nothing serious.

Wolf

jlb2012
04-26-2007, 12:18
I remember a trip report mentioning Ward "Chip" Leonard from early 01 - for those who may be interested: http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk/thread/7092,-1.php

NICKTHEGREEK
04-26-2007, 12:46
The reason I responded to this thread is because I met a man with long slightly reddish blond hair and worn teeth at Partnership in 2000. I was driving south to Florida at the time. He said his name was "Chip". When I asked him how far he was intending to go north in September he sort of dithered and said something about going another week and turning back south. At that point I figured him for a Trail lingerer type. It wasn't until I got on the internet did I find out that was Ward.

He was spread out in the shelter in low season. He offered to let me read the register and move his stuff over. I told him I was an AT volunteer up in New York so I figured he was a little cautious with me. I gave him a Pepsi and we talked Trail. I could tell he was reading the entire register intently.

Maybe Ward was just off his AT restriction and on his best behavior. After learning on the net about his reputation I found he had allegedly gone through fellow shelter mates packs in front of them in sargeant-like fashion pulling items out and giving a talk-down on unnecessary equipment. (That seems a little manic to me). He was banned from the AT for that. The man I spoke too seemed cogent enough and behaved. I had no overt impression of instability from the man. Had to say that...

How does one get banned from the AT??? By whom????

NICKTHEGREEK
04-26-2007, 12:47
Sorry, I missed the answer

Flush2wice
09-17-2007, 15:25
I met Ward during my hike in '91. I was NOBO. The word on the trail that year was that he was trying to do 3 complete unsupported hikes. 2 NOBO's then a flip-flop. I started late (April 18th) so he was way ahead of me on his 1st trip. I think I was in CT, leaving from a shelter that had a rather lengthy blue blaze trail to it. When I got to the AT and turned north for maybe 5 minutes, I ran into a hiker who was standing in the trail applying sunscreen or bug spray or something. I figured he was going south since I was just at the shelter alone and it was very early. I stopped and in a friendly manner asked "which way are you headed?" His reply was a rather snooty "which way are you headed?" I said "I'm going north, are you going south?" to which he replied "I'm going north are you going south" At this point I realized who I was talking too. I said "You must be Ward Leonard" and I walked past him and continued up the trail. Within a minute I could hear him quickly catching up to me so I stopped to let him pass. He was almost running. Later that afternoon as I was crossing a road, but before I entered the woods I heard a car approach and pull off the road at the trailhead. I looked back and Ward jumped out (he apparently had hitched into town and was just returning). He saw me and again started running. I stepped aside and let him pass again.
I had read about him in registers and also heard stories about him from people who had met him. Almost entirely negative stuff. People reffered to him as "Lord Weiner". Regardless, I was hoping to meet him and talk. Unfortunately when I got that opportunity he WAS rude and obnoxious. If he made his flip flop I never saw him on his way south. But still you have to admire a hiker about to complete his 2nd trip that early in the summer. If it was in CT, it was probably mid to late July.
All I remember about him specifically was that he had red hair, and carried a smallish internal frame pack (this was '91). That day he must have camped somewhere south of me, got up way early and past my side trail before I saw him.
At least I can say I past Ward Leanard twice in one day.
BTW my trail name was Smoke Magnet. I just found this site a few days ago. I've been reminiscing about the hike and I googled the AT to find this forum. It's great fun reading this stuff. I now live 10 minutes from Hughes Gap and Iron Mt. Gap near Buladean, NC. I've picked up many a hitchiker at Iron Mt. Gap.

Jack Tarlin
09-17-2007, 15:28
Cool story. It's always interesting to hear from folks who hiked awhile ago, it gives a very different perspective to people's perception of the Trail.

Welcome to Whiteblaze and I hope you post often.

Monkeywrench
07-24-2008, 15:04
I met Ward while backpacking the Hundred Mile Wilderness in September sometime in the early - mid 90's. Back then he was referred to by a rather cruel trail name. Meeting him was not a fun experience and I was glad to be with two others at the time.

WalkingStick75
07-24-2008, 21:45
Sad, does not matter if the story is good or bad, true or modified. Why do we feel it necessary to talk about another human, another hiker in this way? I have been dealing with emotionally/mentally impaired people for most of my life most are fine when they are on their medications but then feel they don't need their medications so quit taking them it is a cycle they have no control over.

Oh yea, remember the story about glass houses?

Lugnut
07-25-2008, 00:01
I sort of agree with Walkingstick. There's a fine line between relating meeting an unusual hiker and making fun of someone's handicap. Unusual personality quirks are fair game but mental problems are probably not. Who decides?

Flush2wice
07-25-2008, 00:13
I sort of agree with Walkingstick. There's a fine line between relating meeting an unusual hiker and making fun of someone's handicap. Unusual personality quirks are fair game but mental problems are probably not. Who decides?
Nothing wrong with calling a person an ******* when he acts like one. It doesn't matter what their particular mental problems are. Ward Leonard was an *******. I met him and I'll attest to the fact that he was an *******. Hundreds of other people would agree. I'm not making fun of his handicap, just commenting on his personality. Great hiker, but ****ty personality. Damn shame.

Pepper Beard
07-25-2008, 00:31

It probably was a condition of probation in lieu of jail time by a judge or a condition from the release of a hospital. I would suspect if he violated the terms of a probation by going on the AT, he would be sentenced to jail time and his probation revoked or be committed to a hospital.

A judge can mandate all sorts of restrictions if you are on probation.

I'm bi-polar and have been in hospitals several times and had to go before a judge to get uncommitted from a short term state hospital. No alcohol, no drugs (never have done drugs), no going off my medications etc... for one year as a condition of my release or I could be recommitted.

Being bi-polar is a physical illness, just like diabetes, or medications wouldn't be able to help. No one knows exactly how it works but it is from chemical imbalances... aka physical reasons.

Lone Wolf
07-25-2008, 07:44
Sad, does not matter if the story is good or bad, true or modified. Why do we feel it necessary to talk about another human, another hiker in this way? I have been dealing with emotionally/mentally impaired people for most of my life most are fine when they are on their medications but then feel they don't need their medications so quit taking them it is a cycle they have no control over.

Oh yea, remember the story about glass houses?

i agree. this thread violates rule #2

rafe
07-25-2008, 08:02
i agree. this thread violates rule #2

Hmm. The subject of Ward may be moot. But when you have a habitually abusive hiker, who's covered a lot of ground and interacted with hundreds of other hikers -- doesn't that eventually become an issue for the hiking community at large? If that individual's behavior doesn't exactly break any laws, but is offensive and deliberately hurtful nonetheless -- what can or should be done?

Tin Man
07-25-2008, 08:04
Hmm. The subject of Ward may be moot. But when you have a habitually abusive hiker, who's covered a lot of ground and interacted with hundreds of other hikers -- doesn't that eventually become an issue for the hiking community at large? If that individual's behavior doesn't exactly break any laws, but is offensive and deliberately hurtful nonetheless -- what can or should be done?

Nuthin' if he ain't breaking no laws, just walk on by.

Lone Wolf
07-25-2008, 08:06

this thread violates rule #2

rafe
07-25-2008, 08:18
Nuthin' if he ain't breaking no laws, just walk on by.

No, I don't quite buy it. It's nowhere near that simple. I was on the trail when Ward was active; I had several encounters with him. He was well known to, and not much loved by, most of the class of 1989 and 1990. Few came away from those encounters with anything good to say. In particular, Ward was verbally abusive, particularly to women, questioning their hiking ability, and so on. Ward's behavior may or may not have crossed legal boundaries, but it is not behavior that should be tolerated on the trail, IMO.

FWIW, I did hear that Ward was banned from Baxter Park for a while -- and in fact one of my encounters with Ward was in Baxter, during a time when he was allegedly "banished." Apparently it had to do with verbal abuse of a female hiker, or so I heard.

We've had heated, long-winded threads here on Whiteblaze about far more trivial infractions. Ward was a serious problem along the entire length of the AT, for several years running. The idea that Ward "can't be discussed" is ludicrous.

Lugnut
07-25-2008, 08:53
If Ward Leonard was so bad how did he keep from getting his butt kicked? Not questioning anyone's recolections, but it seems that if someone did all he is said to have done someone would have adjusted his behavior, especially toward females.

John B
07-25-2008, 09:01
If Ward Leonard was so bad how did he keep from getting his butt kicked? Not questioning anyone's recolections, but it seems that if someone did all he is said to have done someone would have adjusted his behavior, especially toward females.

I had the same question.

Lone Wolf
07-25-2008, 09:04

he would back down if ever confronted. that's how we became friendly. nobody ever confronted him

rafe
07-25-2008, 09:07

Ward's very presence could be intimidating. It was clear to me within moments that he was not quite right. I can't speak for others -- but the idea of challenging him physically was out of the question. I tried to engage him verbally but that went nowhere. At least nowhere productive. Most encounters with Ward were of a hit-and-run nature. He moved much too quickly for any extended engagements.

rafe
07-25-2008, 09:19
he would back down if ever confronted. that's how we became friendly. nobody ever confronted him

I "confronted" Ward verbally at Daicey Pond shelter. Granted, my initial comment to Ward was rather provocative, and the entire conversation was over in about 30 seconds. Ward hoisted his pack and departed in haste just after that encounter. The other two guys in the shelter were cowering.

In case you're wondering, my first words to Ward at that encounter were, "So, Ward, did you make a lot of friends on the trail this summer?" ;) It went downhill from there.

John B
07-25-2008, 09:59
I "confronted" Ward verbally at Daicey Pond shelter....Granted, my initial comment to Ward was rather provocative, and the entire conversation was over in about 30 seconds. Ward hoisted his pack and departed in haste just after that encounter. The other two guys in the shelter were cowering.

Cowering? I've never seen a pic of him -- did he look like a pro wrestler or Rambo? Did he have a Buck knife strapped to his leg?

Lone Wolf
07-25-2008, 10:00
Cowering? I've never seen a pic of him -- did he look like a pro wrestler or Rambo? Did he have a Buck knife strapped to his leg?

5' 11'', 175 lbs. is all

minnesotasmith
07-25-2008, 10:09

Supposedly, he would periodically get seriously screwed with by other hikers who did not care for him. As in, he'd drop his pack at a shelter where there were 3+ other hikers present, and go off to get some water. When he came back, his pack had disappeared, and no one saw anything...

Now, whether this was out of jealousy from Ward being an incredibly fast hiker, or a Trail-equivalent of the U.S. military barracks technique of "encouraging" someone universally deemed a worthless waste of Oxygen to put in for a transfer by packing up all his stuff for him while he's out of the barracks, the story does not say.

weary
07-25-2008, 10:10
I met Ward twice in Maine during his double yo-yo attempt in 1991. I had read all the negative comments in the trail registers, but I found him perceptive, but a little bit opinionated.

For instance, as I've reported before, he wanted to know if the 9-year-old who was walking with me was my grandson. when I confirmed that he was,
Ward replied, "Good. He's the first person I've met on this trail who is bright enough for me to talk to."

Weary

Lone Wolf
07-25-2008, 10:11
I met Ward twice in Maine during his double yo-yo attempt in 1991. I had read all the negative comments in the trail registers, but I found him perceptive, but a little bit opinionated.

For instance, as I've reported before, he wanted to know if the 9-year-old who was walking with me was my grandson. when I confirmed that he was,
Ward replied, "Good. He's the first person I've met on this trail who is bright enough for me to talk to."

Weary

ward's a good guy regardless of what others say.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-25-2008, 10:30
Amen to what LW has said.

rafe
07-25-2008, 10:38
Amen to what LW has said.

And have you met Ward, FD?

Look, it's not my job to bash the guy -- this thread is several years old and somehow got dredged up. Ward had issues, for sure. But his behavior had wide-ranging effects on the trail "community," such as it is. Ward's not the first or last person with mental illness to walk the trail. But probably one of the best-known. As far as I know he didn't engage in physical violence -- although I've met one hiker from the class of '89 who suspects otherwise.

Pedaling Fool
07-25-2008, 11:00
When was Ward last seen on the AT? Does he still hike? What's he doing nowadays?

I've never met him, only heard of him, must be an interesting person.

Lone Wolf
07-25-2008, 11:02
When was Ward last seen on the AT? Does he still hike? What's he doing nowadays?

I've never met him, only heard of him, must be an interesting person.

he lives in connecticut. he does sections in the northeast

John B
07-25-2008, 12:13
Terrapin, so Ward is 5'11, 175 and there were three of you, but two were cowering in a corner? He must be one fearsome dude.

Anyway, interesting stories.

mudhead
07-25-2008, 12:16
he lives in connecticut. he does sections in the northeast

Good. I hope he has found peace.

rafe
07-25-2008, 13:17
Terrapin, so Ward is 5'11, 175 and there were three of you, but two were cowering in a corner? He must be one fearsome dude.

Anyway, interesting stories.

The man has or had an intimidating look to him... and a reputation to match. It probably wasn't smart of me to goad him. And I think the two others were expecting the worst.

Pepper Beard
07-25-2008, 23:40
Honestly, if he was able to 30-40 miles days, everyday, he probably could also physically whip 90% of other hikers in a fight.

Myself, I bet this person has a wealth of information on how to hike, I for one would like to know how he did it.... Did he ever stay in hostels? What gear did he use? How did he resupply? How much did he spend per month? What did he eat? Did he cook?? Did he filter or treat his water??? and on and on.....

It's too bad this person can't defend himself or give information on this forum.

ed bell
07-25-2008, 23:59
<snip>

It's too bad this person can't defend himself or give information on this forum.I agree Pepper Beard. Trouble is that he has never responded to these inquiries that date back to the first message boards available IRT AT hikers. The topic always comes up, yet only a few ran into him and hardly a soul knew him.

Tin Man
07-26-2008, 00:50
No, I don't quite buy it. It's nowhere near that simple. I was on the trail when Ward was active; I had several encounters with him. He was well known to, and not much loved by, most of the class of 1989 and 1990. Few came away from those encounters with anything good to say. In particular, Ward was verbally abusive, particularly to women, questioning their hiking ability, and so on. Ward's behavior may or may not have crossed legal boundaries, but it is not behavior that should be tolerated on the trail, IMO.

FWIW, I did hear that Ward was banned from Baxter Park for a while -- and in fact one of my encounters with Ward was in Baxter, during a time when he was allegedly "banished." Apparently it had to do with verbal abuse of a female hiker, or so I heard.

We've had heated, long-winded threads here on Whiteblaze about far more trivial infractions. Ward was a serious problem along the entire length of the AT, for several years running. The idea that Ward "can't be discussed" is ludicrous.

I "confronted" Ward verbally at Daicey Pond shelter. Granted, my initial comment to Ward was rather provocative, and the entire conversation was over in about 30 seconds. Ward hoisted his pack and departed in haste just after that encounter. The other two guys in the shelter were cowering.

In case you're wondering, my first words to Ward at that encounter were, "So, Ward, did you make a lot of friends on the trail this summer?" ;) It went downhill from there.

I said, walk on by, and you encountered him for all of 30 seconds ... sounds like he walked on by you and you were hurt.

rafe
07-26-2008, 08:21
I said, walk on by, and you encountered him for all of 30 seconds ... sounds like he walked on by you and you were hurt.

When you hike a lot, or travel with thru hikers for weeks you come to expect that your fellow hikers are good people. So when you happen to encounter a fellow like Ward, it can take you by surprise. Check out the thumbnail to see the general impression that Ward left on the Class of 1990. The photo is from Trail Days 1990. This ditty was a send-up of "Love Stinks", with enthusiastic audience participation at the refrain.

Tin Man
07-26-2008, 08:33
When you hike a lot, or travel with thru hikers for weeks you come to expect that your fellow hikers are good people. So when you happen to encounter a fellow like Ward, it can take you by surprise. Check out the thumbnail to see the general impression that Ward left on the Class of 1990. The photo is from Trail Days 1990. This ditty was a send-up of "Love Stinks", with enthusiastic audience participation at the refrain.

So? Like I said, when you come across someone you don't care for, keep walking...and stop whining. :rolleyes:

The Old Fhart
07-26-2008, 09:10
John B-"...so Ward is 5'11, 175 ..."Ward is about 5'8" tall and weighed about 135lbs with reddish hair and beard. The last time I saw him was on the summit of Mount Washington dressed in his green rain suit and hat he wore for protection.

Heater
07-26-2008, 11:42
Ward is about 5'8" tall and weighed about 135lbs with reddish hair and beard. The last time I saw him was on the summit of Mount Washington dressed in his green rain suit and hat he wore for protection.

http://outside.away.com/outside/magazine/0596/images/apptrail18.jpg

Is this Ward?

rafe
07-26-2008, 11:45
http://outside.away.com/outside/magazine/0596/images/apptrail18.jpg

Is this Ward?

Nope. I believe that's some guy called "Beorne."

Heater
07-26-2008, 11:51
Nope. I believe that's some guy called "Beorne."

You are probably right. I saw it in an article and the hiker name "Boerne" was mentioned. I've never seen a photo of Ward.

rafe
07-26-2008, 11:54
I've never seen a photo of Ward.

Not too surprising. Most folks just saw him from behind, rapidly receding into the distance. Ward wasn't the sort of person I'd aim a camera at, from close range.

OregonHiker
07-26-2008, 12:04
You are probably right. I saw it in an article and the hiker name "Boerne" was mentioned. I've never seen a photo of Ward.

http://outside.away.com/magazine/0596/9605fei.html

The Old Fhart
07-26-2008, 12:06
_terrapin_"Nope. I believe that's some guy called "Beorne.""The person pictured is "Beorn,Tale of the Forest". He had a deep booming voive and was a character I enjoyed meeting. The last time I saw him was at a Gathering in Hanover and he had recently had knee surgery. If you want to know more about Beorn, check this site (http://www.angelfire.com/ma/beorntf/).

Heater
07-26-2008, 12:27
The person pictured is "Beorn,Tale of the Forest". He had a deep booming voive and was a character I enjoyed meeting. The last time I saw him was at a Gathering in Hanover and he had recently had knee surgery. If you want to know more about Beorn, check this site (http://www.angelfire.com/ma/beorntf/).

Interesting fellow.

cojo
10-10-2011, 18:33
I am absolutely convinced that the character I met today is Ward.
He is still actively hiking.
I met him this morning around 8am where the AT meets River Road in Kent, CT.
We were headed in opposite directions but spoke for several minutes.

A most unusual encounter to say the least.

Wobegon
10-10-2011, 21:57
My fiance and I met him in MA this year. He is a dick.

stranger
10-10-2011, 22:11

Ward is a pioneer, he goes back, set all the orignal records, some that still stand in this age of professional hiking. He's also sick, he suffers from mental illness. Do you suffer from mental illness Wobegon, cause you sound like a dick saying that.

Wolf - 23000
10-11-2011, 03:35

Wobegon,

Was this Ward? The truth is you don't know. Maybe it was or maybe it wasn't. I was one of the few hikers Ward respected. Ward told me that there were some times he would be blame for things he knew nothing about or the story would grow and grow. I've seen that first hand where stories of his bad behavior became worst and worst with the pasting of the hikers. A story would start up with Ward being rude would change into Ward physical assualted someone.

The hiker you met might have been out of line. I don't know, I wasn't there. He might say the same thing about you. There are always going to be people that we are not going to like on the trail. The best thing to do is get over it and move on.

Wolf

Mags
10-11-2011, 09:02
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attachments/northeastern-pennsylvania/73387d1293587394-pocono-country-place-good-bad-its-zombie-thread.jpg

4eyedbuzzard
10-11-2011, 09:23
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attachments/northeastern-pennsylvania/73387d1293587394-pocono-country-place-good-bad-its-zombie-thread.jpgLife support is pretty spooky.

attroll
10-11-2011, 11:49
I would like to know, what makes you think the person you met was Ward Leonard? Just because someone on the trail is not polite or is rude does not meant that person was Ward. Lets hear some more details. How hold was this person?

max patch
10-11-2011, 13:09
No reason to talk crap about another hiker. This thread not only needs to be shut down, it needs to disappear.

redbird
12-25-2011, 05:23
In late December, 2011, the newspaper in Concord Massachusetts included an article about Ward/Chip Leonard including a picture. It said he had been living in Concord for 9 years. I've been living in Concord about half that long. Not entirely sure whether I've ever seen him, but, he may be a guy I had a brief, peaceful chat with once at a nearby wildlife refuge and again once outside a local grocery store on a snowy day... both times we happened to arrive at a place to hitch our bicycles at the same time. Sandy/red hair guy. I have a some disability in the area of facial recognition after having had a cerebral hemorrhage so this could just as easily have been someone else and not Ward as shown in the newspaper picture.

story and picture are at:

http://www.wickedlocal.com/concord/features/x1980198496/Concord-resident-reflects-on-backpacking-Appalachian-Trail

Jeff
12-25-2011, 07:32
Thanks for posting the article. Ward is indeed unique.

CrumbSnatcher
12-25-2011, 07:53
Merry Christmas Ward Leonard and to everyone else! :-)
hope santa was good to everyone

k2basecamp
12-25-2011, 13:00
From the pictures it looks like Ward has Updated his equipment. The little hat gives him thatNuovo-mercenary look that we all strive for. And what did he say it took about 9000 miles to reach his peak condition ?

Sly
12-25-2011, 14:38
In 1990, during the same hike where Leonard backpacked solo, he said he also set the speed record for the fastest hike ever done on the Appalachian Trail (60.5 days), but added that someone surpassed it only a year later.

I assume that was a supported hike.

He looks pretty normal to me.

Sly
12-25-2011, 14:56
And what did he say it took about 9000 miles to reach his peak condition ?

Yeah but he used to hike 35 miles a day consistently. To me being able to hike 12-20 miles a day comfortably is "being in shape."

AndyB
12-25-2011, 15:35

He looks pretty normal to me.

you'd be assuming wrong.

My wife and I met him somewhere in New England, he liked our packs "not too bright, they blend in" and he thought my wife looked like an Indian princess. Harmless encounter. We met a few "famous hikers" that year, not a bad experience to report.
The AT was a little different before the inter net, imo.

Merry Christmas
hike in peace

Sly
12-25-2011, 22:03

you'd be assuming wrong.

My wife and I met him somewhere in New England, he liked our packs "not too bright, they blend in" and he thought my wife looked like an Indian princess. Harmless encounter. We met a few "famous hikers" that year, not a bad experience to report.
The AT was a little different before the inter net, imo.

Merry Christmas
hike in peace

How am I assuming wrong? I was speaking of his record hike.

Since you had harmless encounter with him, I'm not sure how you can disagree that he looks normal (to me)

Del Q
12-25-2011, 22:21
Reading through all of this, I have said to my two sons, 20 & 17, who are downstairs right now, excellent Holiday break........."Anyone can be "normal" "

Many would say that I am a bit "off" or "different" and they would be right, see above quote............Ward is a hiking "legend", anyone who has hiked the AT this much would be expected to being a bit "off", we live in a crazy world that seems to be getting more crazed. Like 20,000+ miles on AT, seriously???

If he has medical / mental issues, God love him as he does my son who is a cancer survivor, over 2000 therapy sessions, worked his way out of a wheel chair 3x............being able to play street hockey today means a LOT to us, not much taken for granted these days. We all have our dark side.

Ward has hiked the trail we loved 50x more than most of us.................like all of us, he has his opinions about things, would love to meet him and spend time on the AT with him, regardless of the level of conversation

I am smart enough to know that I would could learn a TON from Ward Leonard.

AndyB
12-25-2011, 23:55
How am I assuming wrong? I was speaking of his record hike.

Since you had harmless encounter with him, I'm not sure how you can disagree that he looks normal (to me)

his hikes are unsupported

weary
12-26-2011, 11:38
Probably even more so than most unsupported hikers. I've had a couple of trail conversations with him. He struck me as a dedicated hiker and a nice guy. ( He praised my 9-year-old grandson who was hiking with me) But not the kind of guy that typical "trail angels" would go out of their way to help.

max patch
12-26-2011, 11:47
I met him at Neels Gap on day 1 (him, not me!!!) of one of his hikes back in 90s.

Tenderheart
12-26-2011, 11:48
Anyone who could hike the entire trail in 60 1/2 days without any support is simply amazing, and that's all I've got to say on the subject.

Sly
12-26-2011, 13:43
In 1990, during the same hike where Leonard backpacked solo, he said he also set the speed record for the fastest hike ever done on the Appalachian Trail (60.5 days), but added that someone surpassed it only a year later.

Yeah, I know.

It's not clear in my response to you (sorry) but I highlighted the original quote in bold when he added his record hike was broken the following year. That's the hike that was most likely supported.

plus2
01-25-2014, 18:07
can anyone tell me what his trail name was, If he had one, and also wondering if he was a bit deaf? his pictures I have seen, although now much older, remind me of a man I met early on in my 2012 thru hike.........if he is the same guy......for me........he was a joy to be around and a complete gentleman, tho a bit of a loner. he was one I enjoyed looking back on and saying I knew him.

4eyedbuzzard
01-25-2014, 18:20
can anyone tell me what his trail name was, If he had one, and also wondering if he was a bit deaf? his pictures I have seen, although now much older, remind me of a man I met early on in my 2012 thru hike.........if he is the same guy......for me........he was a joy to be around and a complete gentleman, tho a bit of a loner. he was one I enjoyed looking back on and saying I knew him.Google "Ward Leonard Appalachian Trail" and "Spooky Boy Appalachian Trail". Lots of stories, good and bad.

ki0eh
01-27-2014, 16:40
Thread necro for sure, but nice to see some usernames again that I haven't seen in a while.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-27-2014, 17:14
wards a cool guy just another character you will run into occasionally I enjoyed meeting him

Peanut91
10-23-2017, 21:05
Recently I reread Model-T's "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery" (a great read) and Larry Luxenburg's book on the AT. Both mentioned a hiker named Ward Leonard who has completed the trail 10 times. He is described as something of a curmudgeon but interesting nonetheless. He is a strong hiker and at one time held the speed record for completing the trail. Anyone have any run-ins with him? Interesting stories? Is he still hiking? How old a guy is he?

This is a really old thread..so who knows if anyone will read this. I was wondering if anyone was in any contact with Ward Leonard...I met him a couple times on the trail and I liked him. Strong hiker..decent guy..I admired and liked him. Any ideas on how to get in contact with him? It's been years...just thought of him the other day out of the blue..and was wondering how he is.

rafe
10-23-2017, 22:29
Ancient thread, but the link to the article in the Concord mag got me thinking... he lives just a few miles down the road, or at least he did in 2011. He's obviously grown up, about the right age, and is smiling broadly in the photo. Not the way I remember him. Maybe he finally out-ran the demons that were chasing him. Happy for him if that's so.

briankeithsmith
07-12-2018, 19:51
I met Ward Leonard today. At the time, I didn't know I was talking to an AT Legend. I was talking about the trail with him and he seemed to look at some things I said questionably, I guess his own way of checking me out, making sure I was on the up-and-up. Super nice guy. We talked for maybe 20 minutes in an outfitter store in Concord, MA. I rushed back to get a picture with him, but like a flash he was gone! Really nice guy, wish I could get some contact information on him because I would certainly like for him to know how much I enjoyed speaking with him.

greenmtnboy
07-18-2018, 10:56
Keith Shaw told me a couple things about him; from what I've heard the guy had a lot of surplus energy, probably good genetics but undisciplined in manners and uncouth. You can wear out the only body you have unless you replenish it after severe workouts like multiple AT hikes. Burned himself out.

Slo-go'en
07-18-2018, 12:19
The story I heard about his 60 day through hike was he did it because he was no longer welcome in towns and hostels, so he couldn't stop at any of them. So, he just kept walking.

I meet him briefly at a shelter in VA back in '89. He came in, looked at me and another guy who was there and said "Your not thru hikers, your gear isn't dirty enough" , turned around and walked off. I've used that line a few times since myself :)

NY HIKER 50
07-18-2018, 22:24
How about the dude hiking in full clothes from head to toe, even in the blazing summer? Or him throwing pebbles at one shelter all night long telling the folks the AT was 'his' trail?

I got a chuckle perusing some of the stories through various sources, but I like the dude nontheless. As far as being 'banned' from the trail, I think that's a load of bs the righteous like to pass off as true.

This may not be me but if you do see someone hiking with full clothing it may be because the sun does some nasty things and like me, the dermatologist is having a field day spraying me with the liquid nitro. I have adopted long pants and what looks like some strange hats (brand names of course). So not everyone is crazy, but saying the trail is his? That's crzy.

George
07-19-2018, 10:19
the guy had a lot of surplus energy,

Burned himself out.

no doubt an outstanding natural, but had help from modern chemistry - took longer than most to burn out

Last Call
07-19-2018, 10:56
Out of curiosity, can one be "banned" from the A.T.? Would a judge have jurisdiction over the trail, as it goes thru 14 states?

George
07-19-2018, 11:19
Out of curiosity, can one be "banned" from the A.T.? Would a judge have jurisdiction over the trail, as it goes thru 14 states?

certainly there are sentences involving travel restrictions, be it home, perimeter or state

Mother Natures Son
07-19-2018, 19:28
How does Ward afford to hike so many times on the AT? (Or anyone else that has done it many times.)

Slo-go'en
07-19-2018, 20:18
How does Ward afford to hike so many times on the AT? (Or anyone else that has done it many times.)

Apparently he had a sizable trust fund to draw from.

MuddyWaters
07-19-2018, 22:46

Some have worked a few months, then migrated down the trail aways, then work again. Some made this lifestyle for years.

Jeff
07-26-2018, 13:46
I hosted a hiker at Green Mountain House in Vermont this summer who mentioned Ward Leonard was his uncle.

In the hostel there is a display of "Fastest Known Times" for AT hikes where Ward Leonard was listed and his total time was noted. About one week later I got a call from Ward who told me my listed time was off by 2 hours for his 1990 record pace. He said that he rarely hikes anymore but is now into long distance biking.

Great talking with a living AT legend.

greenmtnboy
08-01-2018, 18:46
There was an article on him a few years ago with an interview in Concord: http://www.wickedlocal.com/article/20111223/NEWS/312239773

Maybe he is doing better now. He owes those he mistreated a lot of apologies. The A/T is not a race; I spoke with an A/T hiker yesterday in Kent who was disgusted as am I on the crazy compulsive racers on the A/T.

Lone Wolf
08-01-2018, 19:10
There was an article on him a few years ago with an interview in Concord: http://www.wickedlocal.com/article/20111223/NEWS/312239773

Maybe he is doing better now. He owes those he mistreated a lot of apologies. The A/T is not a race; I spoke with an A/T hiker yesterday in Kent who was disgusted as am I on the crazy compulsive racers on the A/T.

he owes no apologies. he was/is mentally ill. he never physically harmed anyone. he's a human being.i admire the man greatly

greenmtnboy
08-01-2018, 21:34
he owes no apologies. he was/is mentally ill. he never physically harmed anyone. he's a human being.i admire the man greatly
Oh, because of his mental illness he was not responsible for his actions, his sexual harassment that got him in trouble numerous times, his extremely rude and disrespectful treatment of others, especially other hikers, turning the Appalachian Trail into a racetrack for his supposed "accomplishments"?? That strikes me as sociopathic behavior, anti-social disorders and all. If he was under a doctor's advisement, collecting disability money from the SSI fund, what business did he have using that money to burn up the trail?

CalebJ
08-01-2018, 21:44
Perhaps you owe apologies for all the unfounded accusations?

greenmtnboy
08-01-2018, 21:48
Perhaps you owe apologies for all the unfounded accusations?

?? All that is easily proven; both how the sexual harassment and rudeness got him in trouble numerous times. And that was around 1990 when rules and laws were far more laxly enforced.