PDA

View Full Version : Narrowing down a Backpack

OldNorth
03-17-2011, 01:29
Great site! Wealth of information here.

I'm getting backpack burnout looking at all the different packs that are out there on the market. I think it's time to turn to the experts :D

I'm between 6'3-6'4 with a long torso.

USE: Long distance. Planning on hiking the AT from MA to ME this summer. Could through hike it someday. With that in mind...

Top priorities :excellent weight distribution to hips; Excellent comfort; around 3000 CI(don't want or need an enormous pack); More on the lightweight side than the bells and whistles side; Hugs the body well; under $400
Dont want: External frame pack (have a kelty and I hate it), a huge pack, a pack that shifts or squeeks when moving

Currently in use is a medium alice pack which I'm sure most of you are familiar with (frame off) for my multi-day hikes. It is a great size because I tend to go small and light with gear. I believe it is 2200-2400 CI. It can carry all my gear for a week in it no problem. Main items are Seedhouse SL2, SierraDesigns down bag, mini msr stove, Katadyn pocket micro, thermarest pad, etc...Pretty typical setup I think. I rarely have over 20 pounds full.

I'm very happy with the pack for what it is ( a larger, better-made school backpack basically) but Looking for more support and comfort as priority with my new purchase. I just know the alice is going to end up killing me and my shoulders if I have to hump it for that distance. Actually been looking at the body hugging mountaineering packs but don't know if that's what I want for long distance. I'd appreciate some suggestions so I can narrow it down a bit. Signed up here because I've been researching for a while but no advice could be better than from you good people.

Thank you!

map man
03-17-2011, 01:32
Look at the packs made by ULA (www.ula-equipment.com (http://www.ula-equipment.com)).

Mountain Wildman
03-17-2011, 04:30
Mystery Ranch Makes excellent packs with superior support systems.
I have the Trance XXX and at a little over 4 pounds, It's not the heaviest in it's capability range.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.13869/.f?sc=11&category=8

And you can order the yoke size to fit your height and the waistbelt in your size range.

Bucherm
03-17-2011, 05:29
ULA Catalyst.

Hooch
03-17-2011, 05:49
No matter what pack you get, have your torso professionally measured before you buy. Being tall doesn't necessarily mean you have a long torso. Being measured will save you a lot of trouble, discomfort and heartbreak.

bigcranky
03-17-2011, 07:51
ULA Circuit or Catalyst. These are light packs with good load transfer and comfort, and an excellent feature set for long distance hiking. They are made in USA and are not expensive. The only downside is the need to order online, but their service and guarantee are excellent. Five stars. I own a Circuit and an Ohm. The Circuit is now my all-around four season do-everything pack (it replaced my 7-year-old Six Moons Designs Starlite pack.)

Other choices that you can find in local outfitters:

Osprey Exos series -- but beware the frame contact on your hips. If it fits, it's a very nice light pack.
REI Flash 65. Inexpensive and well designed.
Osprey Aether 60. A classic, heavier than some of the others but very well built.
Gregory Z55. Another proven design.
Granite Gear packs - plenty of love on the trail for these, though they don't fit me well.

EastCoastFeastCoast
03-17-2011, 08:04
Definitely want to get your torso measured, takes 2 mins in a gear shop. I am personally a fan of Deuter packs - many of them have adjustable frames. If you are hiking in the hot summer, the Deuter Futura Pro 42 has an excellent air flow cooling system, super comfy and light. I use the Deuter ACT Lite 65+10, also an excellent pack. Just a few more to look into :)

OldNorth
03-17-2011, 15:21
Thanks for the replies!

I have looked at the Kifaru and Mystery ranch bags. They get amazing reviews and my friends that use them swear by them. That said they are ultra expensive and they have a very long order waitlist. I'll keep them in consideration, though.

I have looked at the ULA packs and I think that could be a good route to go. However, I'm not too sure about the support they provide. They have no real support system, correct? I'd like a minimalist pack but I'd rather it weigh 2 more pounds and have better weight distribution if you know what I mean. Can anyone elaborate on the ULA support and comfort compared to say, an arcteryx or osprey pack?

bert304
03-17-2011, 19:56
try http://www.golite.com/main/home.aspx I have heard good things about them

amac
03-17-2011, 20:00
Take a look at the GoLite Jam.

mike220
03-17-2011, 21:54
Look at the New Granite Gear Blaze 60. Very simmilar to the GG Ozone, which I have and is a really good pack in the mid weight range.

Both are approx 3 lb packs that carry well, are adjustable, and will carry extra weight if nessessary.

skinewmexico
03-18-2011, 00:06
ULA Circuit has a carbon hoop frame and aluminum stays. The only ULA that doesn't have a frame is the CDT. And the Catalyst is way too huge based on your original description. You might also look at the Gossamer Gear Gorilla.

bigcranky
03-18-2011, 07:58
+1 on the Circuit support system, it easily handles 30 pounds and transfers most of the weight to the hips. It is NOT a frameless ruck (which the Jam most definitely is.)

Yobo
03-18-2011, 09:24
I finally got an Aarn pack. I used to hang Nalgene bottles from front shoulder straps to equalize the front/back weight distribution. But this is a much, much better design. Very, very comfortable. Videos on website can help with the somewhat complicated initial tuning. It's even better than my retired Gregory Cassin, previously the most comfortable pack I ever used.

OldNorth
04-01-2011, 19:19
Follow up:
So my main pack WAS an alice pack and my newest pack was a 7-10 year old kelty super tioga, which I basically used as a suitcase because it just didn't work for me comfortably.

I finally decided on the Osprey Atmos 50. I took it home just to evaluate it, figuring I would find some flaw. However, I feel like a new man with this pack and I will keep it. Going from the 50-60 year old design of the alice to the atmos was an revolutionary jump in backpack technology for me. Why did I rely on my alice so long?!

Also, thanks to combing this site, and your knowledge, along with an acute case of spring fever, I have updated a lot of my gear to become even more lightweight and efficient. Decided to weigh everything individually and that was very helpful. Ditched my stainless cookware and whisperlite for a snowpeak 700 and giga stove along with some other redundant doodads I was carrying. Thank you for your help with my evolution. Will be a fun (and much lighter) summer.

mountainboogey
04-01-2011, 19:30
I have a gregory Z55 and its the most comfy pack I ever had! Great lumbar support and super functional. Its a bit on the heavy side, but its worth it. It will most likely be my pack for my NOBO next year. I would also consider the GoLite Jam or Pinnacle....

hikingshoes
04-01-2011, 19:35
I have a Osprey Exos 58 and i enjoy it very much.Im also looking into ULA Catalyst too.Youll like your Osprey pack,i had a 5lbs pack and thats with out gear.Dont do like i did,i use my old army gear for yrs.untill i got turn on to lighter gear.Like i stated before im in the market for a new pack and 0deg bag(under 1.5lbs).HS

ChrisFol
04-01-2011, 20:49
0deg bag(under 1.5lbs).HS

Don't think one exists.

Even the top of the line zero degree sleeping bags (Kodiak, Snowbunting, SS #0 etc) are all around the 3lb mark depending on the length that you want.

About the lightest cold weather system that I have found is actually a quilt by Nunatak, the Arc Expedition, weighs around 2lbs and costs about $600 depending on size. It is rated to +5 degrees.

ScottP
04-02-2011, 00:21
For your setup I'd recommend an Osprey Talon 44. It seems to fit with the rest of your gear--the light side of conventional backpacking.

If you want to try building a slightly more lightweight setup then you might want to consider swapping out the SL2, filter, and thermarest for a tarp+bug net, aqua mira, and foam pad. Then you could get by with something like a ULA CDT or a Zpack (my zpack is the best backpack I've ever owned. Which is saying something if you could see my gear closet).

88BlueGT
04-06-2011, 23:10
I can only comment on my own experiences. I can 100% recommend any ULA product. I have the ULA Circuit and its by far the best pack I've ever owned. Just an FYI, I've carried 30lbs in it a few times and it was very comfortable.

turtle fast
04-06-2011, 23:56
Much like a majority of responses here I too have to give ULA props for making excellent packs. Both the Circuit or the Catalyst would do you well. I personally like the Catalyst as it had the space for colder weather gear on the shoulder seasons. Hip pad belt pockets are great for snacks or a camera and the large mesh back pocket is a great catch all for gear. ULA was designed by thru hikers for thru hikers so that says something. Also their products are MADE IN THE USA so you are giving someone HERE a job.

Buffalo Skipper
04-07-2011, 09:25
Lots of recomendations here for the ULA Catalist and Circuit. These packs have great suspension systems, but are much larger than you claim you need. If you are at 20 lbs total weight and under 3000 ci, you really should look into the ULA Ohm or CDT. These do not have as beefy a suspension, but if you are at 20 lbs, you won't need a "huge" suspension system, as you are just not transferring that much weight.

ULA packs have quite a large range as far as size goes. I am 6'1" and a medium fits me fine. The "large" is intended for a truly above average heighted individual.

Best of all, these packs are made in the USA and are high quality products. Great investment in us.